1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodell issues memo changing return-to-play rules for concussions

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Topdawg13, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Topdawg13

Topdawg13 New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Indiana
    Click Me

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I don't think they should play that game or the following game.

A man's life is at risk.

dolphindebby, Topdawg13 and alen1 like this.
  3. Topdawg13

Topdawg13 New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Indiana

My thoughts exactly.

4. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    They definitely need to err on the side of caution here. Not just for life and death, but general health. Suffering another concussion is very likely if the previous one has not been heal. It just leads to a big long chain and irreversable brain damage.

Whereas, giving proper time for a concussion to heal will allow the player to return to full strength with no extra risk for repeating concussions. Its a cumulative injury with severe and far reaching effects.

Not to mention the NFL needs to lead the way in terms of safety regulation for ALL football - pros, college, high school etc. Concussions are way more dangerous at the lower levels/ages, and far to often glossed over by underequipped medical staffs, uncaring coaches and lack of information.

5. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca

While i agree with your point, i will argue that once you sustain a concussion, whether you allow it to heal or not makes no difference in the susceptibility of you repeating. The proven fact is that once you have a concussion you are always more prone to them, then someone who hasnt.

I will also point out that the NFL, NCAA and NHSAA all have the same "return to play" standards for concussion return. The problem lies in the honesty of the athletes themselves. I for one dont allow my athletes to return to play if any level of concussion was sustained. Even if the symptoms do dissipate within the 10 - 15 minute time frame. I have a hard time allowing someone to die on my watch. I wish that the athletes would figure that out too.

6. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    ive had like 3 concussions. one I knew about because it was pretty bad. they suck :lol:

7. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    yet he still has nfl football players playing a regular season football game on sunday.....and then another game 4 days later on thursday......glad players safety is first and foremost priority :rolleyes: