1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodyear has no idea how to make a tire

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by dolphan117, Jul 27, 2008.

1. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Brickyard 400 and you cant run more then 10 laps on the tire that Goodyear brought to this race.

One of the most embarrassing sports spectacles I have ever seen.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  2. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

No kidding. What a disgrace. Second biggest NASCAR event of the year (biggest to some folks) and they turn it into amateur hour.

3. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    doesn't this issue raise it's head every five years or so, where an entire run of tires fail... I thought it was Hoosier last time.

4. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    This is why I'm getting Michelin on my new car in a couple of months.

5. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Yeah, it sure did suck. I turned on the race about halfway through hoping for some exciting Indy action... and it sucked. some of the greenflag racing was okay when it was actually happening... there just wasnt enough of it.

As for goodyear, while yes they are partly to blame, lets not forget nascar's share of the blame too. Rushing the new car out fulltime this year has hurt, and not to mention its nascar that keeps pushing goodyear to make tires that fall off fast. They want that in an attempt to keep the racing closer, and to slow down the cars. All it does is force teams to look for ways to make them faster, usually putting too much camber on the right sides, and they just wear down to nothing.

With that being said, theres still absolutely no excuse for a tire that only lasts 10 laps. Look at the IRL races, sure the tires are twice as wide, and the cars weigh half as much, but those tires could last forever it seems. If nascar would allow goodyear to bring those types of compounds to the track, we'd have better tires to race on, however that will never happen.