1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GoT4:4614

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by NaboCane, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Sorry GOT but this NBA finals is turning epic.. Even if you don't love basketball this is something to behold.

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Wrong thread?

3. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Just a curious, did a lot less happen tonight, than you thought would?

4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Yes. The attack on Castle Black has a few... interesting moments yet to come. They left some things out for next week, which I thought would be concluded tonight. The final episode this season is going to be so jammed pack with epicness, I'm genuinely concerned there's not going to be enough time to do it justice.

SICK likes this.
  5. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Seriously... Mance Rayder has been a massive ****ing waste. They've basically stripped his character down to the bare bones, excluded all of his backstory, and he's been in like, two episodes.

Desides likes this.
  6. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Can't see how they can fit so much into one episode. A lot may carry over to next season, the aftermath of Oberyn vs Gregor being one.

Sent from my iPad

7. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    They moved the part with Jon going to Mance to ep 10. I expected that scene and accompanying events to be in 9.

Now I'm worried the impact will be lessened by the rest of ep 10.

8. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I thought tonight's episode was ****ing brilliant!!! Much more action than I was expecting. It was essentially a full hour non stop of battle. My predictions weren't totally far off so far. :lol: I mean Jon is heading north (I missed Tully and bucktooth though).. didn't miss on the ginger. I wonder if she was going to pull back and not kill Jon? I watched that scene again, she was crying but not pulling back. I bet the kid saved Jon's life.

Some serious action OMFG moments though...
    - dropping the side wall, was it? holy ****!
    - dropping the oil on the mammoths... holy ****!
    - the giant archer... holy ****!
    - Jon and hammer time... holy ****!

let me just go on the record, and I won't read the rest of this thread until after the season finale (yeah I said that last week too... yeah **** it...) but if Jon Snow and Tyrion Lannister get whacked next week... I'm not going to be happy. My two favorite characters in the show. Arya Stark is #3.

9. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Unless they bump something, episode 10 is going to be packed. Which is weird because episode 10s are generally set up for next season with GoT.

As a reader of the book I am shocked they killed two characters that didn't die in the book.

10. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Which two?

If I were a brilliant author, as opposed to an egotistical one...I'd perhaps like to see my world played out in different ways.

11. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Since the episode happened already, these aren't spoilers:

Grenn and Pyp, who died in the battle in the show, survived and are still alive in the books. Pyp doesn't get an Ygritte arrow to the kn--er, neck--he lives through the battle and is still in books 4 and 5. Grenn doesn't go to the tunnel to defend it against the giant; instead, the de facto commander left at Castle Black, a one-armed blacksmith named Donal Noye, gives command to Jon--"You have the wall"--and goes to the tunnel to defend it, dying while killing the giant.

Basically the show decided to save some money by killing off two characters who don't do much in the books, by substituting them for book characters not found in the show.

GRRM has said he enjoys the new content in the show, like Jaime negotiating with Tywin for Tyrion's life, but that the books play out the way they do for a reason and the show might be writing itself into a corner with certain changes. For example, Mago, who died in season 1, did not die in the books and is going to be a recurring character in The Winds of Winter. GRRM alerted D&D to this fact, and they killed Mago anyway.

Basically, showing some new events that the books can't because they occur from certain characters' points of view (instead of being narrated by an omniscient third party as books typically are) is fine and dandy, but having fun with the character lineup creates problems.

He's going like 2 miles north into the forest, this really doesn't count. :lol:

12. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Great Episode, I liked how they kept it all focused on one location for the entire time, it made it feel more like a book chapter. That scythe/anchor was sweet, as well the Giant archer. Ser Allister showed some serious command chops, while Slynt showed what a coward he really is. I wish there was more Ghost, but when they blow the CGI budget on Mammoths and Giants you take what you can get. The 360 degree shot of the keep below the Wall was a nice touch too. My only complaint is I wish it happened earlier in the season like the books, I think the emotional impact of Ygritte dying would have been stronger in the eyes of the viewers.

Ep 10 predictions:
    Arya and the Hound run into Brienne and Pod. Initially I thought that they would be accosted by men who heard to Hound make his claim at the Bloody Gate, but we know B & P are on Arya's trail and headed towards the Vale thanks to Hot Pie. Brienne versus the Hound would be a good fight. He's weak from his neck injury, plus is holding Arya hostage, and Brienne has shiny new plate armor and a Valyrian steel blade to break in. I don't see any other outcome besides a fight. It should increase her notoriety in Westeros as she will have bested Ser Loras, the Kingslayer, and now the Hound in combat.

13. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I haven't read the books...

But from the speculation, I'm guessing that they don't pack everything book readers are expecting into episode 10. Just a guess on my part.

14. Deerless Dice

Oct 30, 2013
    Most likely this is the case, but the next episode is going to be 66 minutes long, so it might have enough time to get most of it in.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  15. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    No, they will. Two are logical outcomes, the third was confirmed by Lena Headey on Instagram (and the event she was confirming does not involve her).

Source on this?

Stringer Bell likes this.
  16. Deerless Dice

Oct 30, 2013
    Interesting, according to IMDB one of the Giants from this episode was played by the guy who played the Mountain in season 2.

17. Deerless Dice

Oct 30, 2013
    Desides likes this.
  18. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
  19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I already see one of them in the preview. Another one I believe is set up in the preview.

20. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Are you referring to Stoneheart? I almost didn't spoiler tag this since I don't know how any non reader could figure
    out what it means. I'm very interested in this, and if they set it up at all, since it seems to be about 2 months after the event in TV show time

Sent from my iPhone5S using Tapatalk - now Free

21. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Yes, I'm talking about Stoneheart, and I doubt very much the show watchers have figured this out. There's no hinting whatsoever. It'll be a complete surprise. I expect Stoneheart to appear at the very end of the episode as an epilogue type scene.

22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    With Stoneheart, I wonder if they are going to show more scenes with the Freys.

23. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    :lol: SSSOOOOO done with this thread. If any of you were *******s were chicks you'd be constantly pregnant. You just can't keep your legs closed, no matter how hard you try.

24. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    What does this even mean? :confused:

25. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Hahaha, this is worthy of an entirely new thread. Good gods, if you were a broad...you'd need to sit on a 2 liter coke bottle just to feel alive! Your vagina would be the most gaping, this side of Francis.

NaboCane likes this.
  26. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think its another case of people not having enough will power to NOT click the spoiler button.

Colorado Dolfan, Desides and Firesole like this.
  27. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Was it the vow they were reciting at the gate?

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come

28. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yessir

Ludacris likes this.
  29. Deerless Dice

Oct 30, 2013
    There's nothing in the most recent spoilers that could spoil a show watcher for episode 10. It lacks the context that only a book reader would know.

30. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Don't you dare try and tempt me you succubus!!!!!!!:tongue2:

xDOLPHINSx likes this.
  31. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Yeah, I genuinely don't think the spoiler tagged stuff above is going to ruin episode 10... but I still wouldn't click on them if I hadn't read the books.

But basically all we're talking about is whether certain unnamed plotlines are likely to be resolved in episode 10 or left for next season.

32. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    If you watched Episode 9, it's safe to click :lol:

[video=youtube;A4oQzTGTc_g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4oQzTGTc_g&app=desktop[/video]

33. UCFinfan86

UCFinfan86 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    I was disappointed with this weeks episode. It may be because I had high hopes of a great battle at the wall, or since I didn't get to watch it until last night and I heard a few people rave about the episode while at work, but I didn't think it was that great.

I think the main thing that disappointed me in this episode was it felt very sappy, like it should have been on LMN. Forgive me as I don't know the character names (The Big guy and the lady with the baby), but I just don't have any interest in their storyline. Also I didn't like scene with Jon Snow sobbing in the middle of a battle while holding a dying Ygritte. These scenes just didn't feel like the typical GoT. I was half expecting (but not hoping as I like Jon) Jon Snow to get wacked while holding Ygritte as that seems like the shocking turn of events that Game of Thrones thrives on. It also may be the fact that Jon and Ygritte have been separated for so long that I don't really feel much from Ygritte's death.

The rest of the episode with the battles, giants, mammoths, etc. were very well done and exciting but overall I was a little let down.

34. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    To be fair, by that point the battle was basically over.

I think this is reasonable. They took too long to get to the battle, and Ygritte is ultimately a secondary character.

35. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    So HBO has submitted its Emmy nominations, and, uh... don't read them if you don't want to be massively spoiled for episode 10.

Also, for best episode, HBO has only submitted episode 10, not episode 6. Curious.

36. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Whatever happened to that mysterious dude who was part of some guild, and he granted Arya those 3 assassination wishes...he talked kinda weird.

Just curious if he comes back. That was a good character.

NaboCane likes this.
  37. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Jaqen H'ghar, a Faceless Man. The Faceless Men are based in Braavos and can change their appearance and mannerisms. They refer to themselves as "no one".

There's a theory that Jaqen has re-appeared in a place in the books that the show has not been to yet. We're probably going to see this place in season 5.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  38. Mrtree

Mrtree Juan Huron's agent

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    A man changed his face and walked out of Arya's life. A man can be hard to find if he wishes to remain concealed...

NaboCane and Sethdaddy8 like this.
  39. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Gee thanks Donna Summer!

40. Deerless Dice

Oct 30, 2013
    He makes another appearance in the later books as part of a storyline that fleshes out the role of the Citadel, aka the order that trains Maesters, has in Westeros. I'd say season 6. It's kind of minor, one of those things that HBO likes to cut, and I personally missed it when I read the books the first time.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.