1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grade the 2014 Dolphins draft

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LBsFinest, May 10, 2014.

Draft Grade?

1. A

6.2%
  2. A-

5.3%
  3. B

42.5%
  4. B-

16.8%
  5. C

16.8%
  6. C-

5.3%
  7. D

5.3%
  8. D-

1.8%
  1. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Thank you for blessing us with your inside knowledge.

Phinfanjt and TooGoodForDez like this.
  2. The Sportz Guy

The Sportz Guy New Member

May 11, 2014
    I give it a B-

My favorite pick of the draft was Jarvis Landry. I was really upset that trading back caused the Phins to miss out on Allen Robinson, but the more I watch and read about Landry, the more I like about him. The Dolphins need a reliable target that Tannehill can trust. Landry can also be productive in the red zone, something the Dolphins have been awful doing. I was honestly disappointed with the Ja'Wuan James selection. I understand that offensive line was a need, but it's hard to pass up a talent like Dennard or Cooks for just an average talent in James. At worst, you trade back and take James (there's really no doubt he would have been there). I like the Billy Turner selection considering he was the best lineman available at that time and he can step in on day one. The Walt Aikens pick was very solid - he's got the physical tools. Hopefully, he can develop. The rest of the draft was pretty "blah" to me. I've watched a good bit of Arthur Lynch since I live near UGA.... He's pretty average and comes off an injury. He's pretty similar to Dion Sims, so I don't really understand the pick. I also wish they would have gone after Telvin Smith or Christian Jones.... but who knows. I don't expect much from Hazel of Fede.

3. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    I dropped it to a B- for two reasons:

The first is that James was a reach at 19, no doubt about it. Everyone knew there was a drop-off after the top 4...and we were the only people who bit on one of these fringe first/second-rounders. The next OLineman didn't go until the second. I think he panicked a bit and reached. Hopefully James holds the position down for years, because we passed up on some very good players and didn't get value for it.

The second reason is that our backfield situation is not adequate for a developing QB. I wanted to add a legit piece. Even though good players kept falling and falling, we didn't take a RB. That bugs me given Moreno's one-year deal and history of durability problems. Can't keep hanging Tannehill out to dry with second-rate ballcarriers.

To combine these two...imagine if we had gotten a third or 4th in a trade-down, still taken James, and with that extra pick scooped up James White, Andre Williams, etc. Now we're talkin.

But I get what Hickey wanted to do: immediate help for Tannehill. James is the surest thing there was at RT, Landry is one of the more polished, pro-ready wideouts of the class, and Turner gives us some versatility/depth at our biggest unit of need. I didn't hate the draft at all; I liked it overall. I just feel like we could've been a little more bold looking for value at the top. I do like both the Aiken and Tripp picks, though.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  4. Phinfanjt

Phinfanjt New Member

Jan 29, 2013
    His Sandy Hook tweet is enough for me to not want anything to do with him. What an absolute moronic thing to suggest. The rest of his troubles are just icing on the cake. He may have talent but there's nothing going on between his ears

5. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Who? What?