1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great Stat From Dave Hyde

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by HardKoreXXX, Apr 6, 2012.

1. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    If you're into that sort of thing.

eltos_lightfoot and Bpk like this.
  2. PhinPhanatic

PhinPhanatic New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Ummmm Brady?..... Brees

Fin D likes this.
  3. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Those guys were drafted before 2003.

gunn34 and HardKoreXXX like this.
  4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Since 2003.

Brady is an anomaly and Brees should of been taken in round 1... by us. He was the first pick of round 2, basically a 1st.

5. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    He goes on:

He's wrong about Romo of course. He has one playoff win in his career (2009 over Philly, was then crushed the next week by Favre and the Vikings). Still, that's pretty telling.

We had a huge thread about 1st Round QB's here a month or so ago, how it didn't mean anything etc., so forth.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  6. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I completely agree with what he's saying here. It's possible to find a franchise QB outside the 1st round, but as the Dolphins have found out the hard way, your odds are significantly worse.

texanphinatic and HardKoreXXX like this.
  7. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Exactly. Call it better scouting, teams giving 1st round guys more chances, whatever. It's a legit trend.

8. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    list of cornerbacks that have won a playoff game that were selected in the first round in 2003
    marcus trufant
    terrence newman
    Andre Woolfolk
    Sammy Davis

9. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    ???

Either you're saying that Cornerback is as important as QB, or you're...I don't know what you're saying.

gunn34, Da 'Fins, Bpk and 1 other person like this.
  10. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    first round qbs selected in 2003 that haven't won a playoff game
    byron leftwich
    kyle boller
    carson palmer

Here's an interesting tidbit rex grossman has won two playoff games. Wow, good for him.
    1/4 of the qbs from the 2003 draft have one a playoff game. That qb is rex grossman.

xphinfanx, Ohio Fanatic and Ozzy like this.
  11. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    I'm saying the way some of these stats are being used is misleading.

gunn34 and gafinfan like this.
  12. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    His stats can be used to wipe your rear end. Ask him to put in print how many QBs taken prior to the second round from the dates he gave, have failed or turned out to be no better then later round picks. He will not answer that.

Regardless of where Tannehill is taken in the draft, he is not qualified , nor will he ever be with exception of injury needs, to be a starting QB in the NFL.

Miami drafts him with our first pick ? Ireland is bye bye and they can take Sherman with him. If we did not have Tannehills former ex HC who was fired by the way, we would not even think of drafting Tannehill.

This is a joke taking this kid in the top 10. Lets put it this way, it he is as some say he is, he ain't getting past Cleveland. If he does, he should not be taken in the first round at all. The kid did nothing in college, nothing. The only thing he has going for him is his former coach that was given the axe by his former school now works for Miami. After that, there is nothing to reach for in this kid, nothing.

13. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Seems pretty cut and dry to me. No QB drafted in rounds 2-7 after 2003 has won a playoff game.

The point is that 1st Round QB's have a much better chance of success. There's no debating that.

14. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

yeah, well except for Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Kurt Warner, Tim Hasselbeck, Jake Delhomme and quite a few others... All guys that were not 1st round picks that led their teams to the POs at one time or another...

The list is long on guys that have been picked in the first round that have turned out to be good qbs, but the list is long of guys that have not been good qbs from the first round...It's not the only option to find a qb...it's likely the best option, but not the only option...This is exactly why guys like Tannehill will be drafted in the top 10 and guys like Weeden will slip into the first round as well....however, the thing is with any QB and whenever he is taken, if you miss....you pay dearly....

15. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    This isn't really about Tannehill, per se, but duly noted.

16. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Check post #'s 3 and 4.

17. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    more likely because there are runs on qbs in the first round, yes. It doesn't mean however, you just select a qb in the first round to select a qb. See my stat above.
    And I won't even go into the qbs who teams probably got them the win. Like rex grossman, mark sanchez, etc.

18. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    How many playoff games has a QB the Dolphins drafted NOT NAMED Marino or Griese won? Don't hurt yourself looking that one up.

19. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    No one is saying take one just to take one. But it's almost not even worth taking one if you don't take one in the first.

Bpk likes this.
  20. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    I don't see your point?

21. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    How many QB's actually drafted by the Dolphins have won a playoff game?

Now go look up where they were drafted.

Then go look up ALL the QB's the Dolphins have drafted.

Then tell me how many playoffs games they've won.

So while drafting a QB in the 1st doesn't ALWAYS = Success, NOT drafting one in the first almost never does.

Bpk and MonstBlitz like this.
  22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    So the dolphins should draft Tanninhill, Weeden or Cousins in the first round.

23. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Or the dolphins have been really bad at evaluating qbs?
    Or the dolphins coaching was bad?
    Again, trying to take these stats as a tell all without looking at everything is misleading.
    And my point is, the statistics say, there isn't that much of a difference between the qbs that do win selected in the first round, and the qbs that lose selected in the first round.

24. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The odds say yes. Or the Dolphins can continue to do what they've been doing. You cool with that?

Bpk likes this.
  25. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    But the stats ALSO say taking a QB after the 1st is almost a wasted pick, do they not? You're only looking at one side of it. I'm not saying there aren't busts in the 1st round.

You have to take a chance. It's EXTREMELY rare for a QB to just fall in your lap. The reason everyone mentions Brady is because it's the ONE TIME it's ever happened. So, you can sit around and wait for a guy like that, or take a chance on a first round QB. And honestly, with the rookie cap, who gives a **** if they don't pan out? Draft another, if he fails, draft another one. Rinse, repeat.

Colmax likes this.
  26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    But if they were to fall into the second round, then don't draft them.

27. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

So all QBs who are not drafted in the first round don't count unless they are anomalies ?? I'm sure the odds are better for guys drafted in the first round vs those not, but there's a good chance you can get a QB who is capable or even better than that in other rounds...it's just not a cut and dried rule that has no exceptions..

28. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I think if you use stats to qualify where you pick any position in the draft to the detriment of game film, character issues, and other measurables you will always fail.

29. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Again, the odds say no, you don't. It's really not that hard of a concept. Unless you can show me the success had by 2nd Round QB's drafted after 2003...?

30. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    There's kind of a selection bias going on there. A lot of those guys don't get the proper playing time because their team didn't invest much in them. So it's kind of difficult to judge them without the proper sample size, not to mention using wins is a poor way to measure QB performance.

31. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I wonder if the increased focus and scrutiny of the combine has any bearing on that stat?

Of course, the flip side of that would be that's only a nine year sampling. How long has the draft been around?

32. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I would rather use the concept, correlation doesn't equal to causation.

33. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    You mind giving me the lottery ticket numbers while you're at it? I'd like to retire next week. Thanks in advance.

34. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    How many were drafted after 2003? That was Hyde's stat. Nothing ever has NO exceptions. No one is arguing that, but the odds are so incredibly low it's almost not even worth it. Then again, picks that low usually don't pan out anyway (especially for the Dolphins) so what the hell, I hope Ireland drafts a QB in every round after 3.

35. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Except that in this case, it kinda does :lol:

Like I said, call it first round guys like Sanchez getting more chances or whatever, but it plays. It definitely plays.

36. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

There's a reason why they arbitrarily ended the date at 2003. 2002 included Garrard who got to an AFCCG, Brees was 2001 who has won a Super Bowl, and 2000 was Brady, who has won three Super Bowls.

DOLPHAN1 and Conuficus like this.
  37. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    So chances are the Bengals will not win a playoff game next season because Andy Dalton is a 2nd round quarterback.

38. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Fair point. Though are you then assuming that the last 9 years have been a fluke?

39. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Are you referring to this one from yours truly?

http://www.thephins.com/forums/show...ince-Marino-Shula-Big-Hint-it-invovles-the-QB

There were several folks in there who tried to say there were no stats whatsoever to support 1st round QBs being more successful than late round QBs. So there goes that theory...

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  40. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

You would say that because you misunderstand the concepts. They fail, not because they are taken in the second round or later, but because they're not good enough. They get taken in the 2-7 rounds because of various reasons, off-field concerns, talent issues, better talent above, but the point that I really want to make is that you can never tell anyone anything about Ryan Mallet being great again.

Also, it's very convenient that they mention only Yates having done this. Funny because that game was between two quarterbacks drafted after the first round. Of course only one could win. It also fails to account for guys with less than first round talent who win playoff games. Is it only because Alex Smith was drafted in the first round that he got to the NFCCG this year? Then what about David Carr? Why has he not won anything? Now do you understand why it isn't causation but rather correlation?