1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greg Jennings on the block?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Paul 13, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Seems the Packers would be wise to trade the high profile receiver now rather than let him walk in free agency next offseason. This Packers' writer speculates why the move makes sense and spoke to a personnel executive who mentioned it could take a 2nd round pick to move him... and somewhere in the vicinity of $10m to $15m per season (Jackson got $11m per and Jennings is better). While that $ is too rich for my blood and I'd rather a 3rd round pick plus a conditional based on playing time, the possibility exists that the Dolphins would be interested given the need and prior relationship with the coaching staff.

Complicating matters are a recent swarm of injuries involving Jennings. A strained MCL last year at the end of the season cost him some time... Concussion in training camp had him missing time in preseason... and now a groin injury could keep him out tonight vs the Bears. But if the Packers start the season 0-2, having played both at home, and continue to struggle to win games, the likelihood that Jennings is moved increases. And he could be had for less than the aforementioned picks. A situation to monitor until the trading deadline certainly. And one that I've had my eye on for a # of weeks. :wink2:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

2. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Also credit to Ben Volin for pointing me in the direction of that article... he has some nice talking points as well if you follow the link :wink2:

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...pped-pass-problem-doesnt-make-a-lot-of-sense/

HULKFish, ToddPhin and The Rev like this.
  3. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Or wait on an injured wr that probably would have to be over paid in regards to acquisition cost .

4. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    It's not at all about getting fans off your back if you're Ireland. It's filling a great need on your team.

I'd do a 2nd and 4th (being that he is already 29).

-You fill your greatest weakness with an already established player moving forward.
    -He fits the system
    -He can do nothing but help Tannehill
    -I've never heard of any diva-ness about him.
    -We'll still have a 1,2,3,3,5,6,7
    -We can concentrate elsewhere in draft and FA.

HULKFish likes this.
  5. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    How old is Jennings? I'm pretty sure he's still young so I'd definitely give up a 2nd for him.

6. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Too expensive and too injured for my taste.

Ozzy, Tone_E, GMJohnson and 5 others like this.
  7. Daben

Daben Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Green Bay's position is such that they aren't likely to trade a player for picks at this point as it hurts their Super Bowl chances this year, and that is their focus atm. They may be ready to explore player plus picks however, but their shaky secondary would almost certainly be the focus and the trade option of interest we had there is in Indianapolis.

Have to wonder on the general topics of trades as to whether we're going to consider trading Randy Starks if we're still close to winless at the deadline, with the idea of moving Odrick to that role for the long term. Not saying I'm in favour of it, just mentioning the possibility of it with Starks' impending free agency and Long possibly requiring the tag.

Also It'd be nice if McDaniel could make the field and show some value, as another future free agent he is definitely worth trading at the deadline.

8. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I think the Dolphins have some winnable games over the next five weeks... heading into the bye. If our record is 500 or better (don't laugh, it's possible) then I think the odds of trading for a named receiver increases dramatically. Of course, it would be nice to have the guy already making that record more likely but I digress.

9. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    he turns 29 next week.

10. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Starks is a piece to the puzzle certainly. If Odrick were to move inside, with Randall continuing his nice progression, the key to that move would be Shelby/Vernon on the outside. They would need to show up in the next few weeks. Probably wishful thinking.

11. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Shelby played great last week IMO.

12. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    The contract could be written to protect against injury. But it's interesting to me.. Hartline is in his last year of his rookie deal and he has an injury shutting him down this preseason. Jennings same thing. But it's not like we don't have the cap room next year.

13. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    on defense? didn't notice that he got reps. I saw Vernon in there a couple of times.

14. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    A talented player that fills a need and plays a position where players are often effective in their mid 30's?
    Pass :shifty:

jsizzle, dolfan32323 and Pandarilla like this.
  15. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Honest question: How would you fix the WR position?

Because the way I see it: We don't have any young guys that are going to break out. I think we pretty much know what we have. And that's a good slot guy, and a decent #2. Unless Ireland/Coaches believe Rishard Mathews can break out and be a #1, which the odds are against, how else would you solve the issue of getting more production out of the WR position.

Sure, we can draft one next year. But that guy may or may not be good. And WR is commonly known as a position that takes a relatively longer period of time to develop. So even if we draft a solid WR, it would still be 2 years (2014, 2015) before he is providing the production wanted and needed.

Paul 13 likes this.
  16. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    They couldn't trade him now. Maybe after the season but not now.

17. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    This is called fools gold right here. This isnt a 25 year old whose healthy, this is a 29 year old with 2 concussions in the last 2 years and a bothersome knee. And to top it off hes a FA at years end. If we really want him, why give up a high 2nd round pick (ours) or a mid 2nd rounder (the colts) when we can get him in the offseason without having to give up draft pick compensation? Additionally, the idea of having 5 picks that will probably be in the top 70 is firepower to attract a new GM should Ireland get canned...dont think that wouldnt look attractive to Eric De Costa, Marc Ross, or Omar Khan. Im not sacrificing that for a WR who I can get at years end anyway.

Bob McGinn is one of the more astute beat writers anywhere in the country and while I respect his opinion, I think a Reggie Bush + a 4th for Jennings is more in line with his value. Let Miller and when hes healthy, Daniel Thomas, share the lead back role. IMO Bush will walk to the highest bidder anyway. But just as importantly, Bush fits that offense perfectly. If we have to make a move for a wr, which Im not completely against I would do it this way not with high draft pick compensation.

dolfan22 likes this.
  18. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    do you mean "wouldn't" ? Also, his contract runs out this offseason, if he's not signed, he's a free agent and not tradeable. Unless he's tagged... doubtful.

19. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    When he's a FA?

20. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    If we're as competitive as I think we could be, putting us in position to want to trade for a Jennings... trading Reggie Bush doesn't make sense.

ToddPhin likes this.
  21. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    The difference is you think we will be competitive, I think we're destined for a 3-5 win season.

22. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think they would just try and see if they could pick him up as a free agent.

I saw Aaron Rodgers talking about the situation a few weeks ago and it was really eye opening. Rodgers seemed pretty resigned to losing him after this year, almost like it's already a done deal.

I think Philbin likes to develop at that position instead of buy, but he'd probably make an exception for a guy he helped develop, just as I'm sure he'd have made an exception for James Jones if the Packers weren't asking a 2nd rounder.

23. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    The thing is, the more money you are giving veterans, the more you require future rosters to be comprised of rookie contracts. So by giving him money, you increase your necessity for draft picks. So giving up a draft pick and a contract to one player is really a big pill for me to swallow.

mi2cents, dolfan22 and Boik14 like this.
  24. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

There should be some legitimate #1 or #2 wr's in FA next year , I would certainly look at that avenue.

25. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Jennings and Bowe are the two primary guys that come to mind

26. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't think the WR is necessarily as bad as it has looked. I think Hartline has a ton of ability and will produce a lot. At this point its a matter of getting reps for him. It won't happen right away, but I think by the end of the season the group we have now will look a lot better than they do at this point. That doesn't mean any of these guys are going to be prototypical "#1s", but certainly they can be productive players.

Even then though, they need to develop guys. Mathews being an obvious one. Egnew and Charles Clay as well. No team will ever be successful unless they develop their own guys. FA is a huge negative IMO. Return on investment usually never provides value-added. I think you can look to FA, but it has to be under the radar guys. Early Doucet was a guy I liked this offseason that fit that bill, as an example.

djphinfan likes this.
  27. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    The money he would demand makes him uninteresting IMO. He's a very good receiver, but not elite and only appears to be the latter because of the team he's on with the QB he has throwing to him. I'd trade a 3rd or 4th for him but only if the contract wasn't a huge one. Who would I rather pay big money to? Long or Jennings. I choose Long.

28. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    The thing I would fear would be giving the free agent money to Greg Jennings based on system, eschewing someone like Mike Wallace who is 3 years younger and might be flat out better.

But I don't think Joe Philbin is as adamant about these things as people generally believe. I think in most cases unless it's something unreasonable, he'd absolutely defer to the man whose job it was to procure talent. He did already defer when it came to signing Chad Johnson.

ssmiami likes this.
  29. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Mike Wallace is probably one of the few high-cost FAs I could get behind signing.

30. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    This isn't baseball or basketball.

31. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I know that kid Cobb looked great in the San Fran game and James Jones is more than capable of playing a bigger role on that team. So I could see where Jennings is somewhat expendable, and I could see where we would be interested considering the Philbin connection. Yet I don't see Greg Jennings as a reality here in Miami. I think he goes elsewhere.
    Jennings highlights a free agent crop of wide receivers that is decent but not great. I left Wallace off because I think the Steelers get their act together and sign him.

32. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    I don't like the idea of getting rid of Bush either. He is absolutely one of our best players, but he's also or best team leader. He sets a great example to the other players, and this is invaluable. On the field, off the field, this guy is worth a new contract IMO.

Mcduffie81 and Paul 13 like this.
  33. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    I think the Greg Jenning's Old Spice commercial on the front page is a sign he'll be a Dolphin in the near future.

\\not really

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  34. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I think we can beat the Raiders, Cardinals and Rams...in three of the next five games... not to mention being competitive against the Jets in Miami and a road game at Cincy. That at least puts us at 3 and 3 heading into the bye. The problem is that we'll likely win at most three of our remaining ten on the back half of that schedule. 6 wins total. The itch comes when we head into the bye thinking we have a shot at the playoffs if we can add one receiver to the group.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  35. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

36. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Don't be fooled by the contract I got
    I'm still, I'm still Jennings on the block
    Used to have a little, now I have a lot
    No matter where I go, I know where I came from (West Michigan!)
    Don't be fooled by the TDs that I got
    I'm still, I'm still Jennings on the block
    Used to have a little, now I have a lot
    No matter where I go, I know where I came from (Kalamazoo!)

Jcouch1021 likes this.
  37. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I think we find a way to lose at least 1 of the 3 vs the rams Cards and Raiders. I give us a chance vs Cincy. Even with an easy schedule, I have a feeling we finish only slightly better then we did the year Cameron was here. The only differences being A) i actually like Philbin and B) theres some talent on the roster now.

38. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Green Bay won't trade him when they get a 3rd round comp pick anyways for letting him walk.

39. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I'd try my luck in FA.

40. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    My inclination would be to wait for FA b/c the injuries scare me.