Greg Jennings vrs Mike Wallace..a year later.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, May 1, 2014.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    LOL. Exactly.

2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    It is Roger's fault. We could be arguing why the 6th pick in the draft is a wasted pick or not by this time last year!

3. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    For the next week we should all come to these debates and vehemently argue for the opposite side we normally would. Keep it interesting in here.

CaribPhin, ckparrothead and Fin D like this.
  4. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

So breaking tackles does not require effort?

GMJohnson likes this.
  5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That's not what I said. Doing anything requires effort. The point, which is flagrantly obvious, is that all fighting for the ball requires is effort, so there's no reason for it to not be "part of Wallace's game".

6. MrClean

Oh my GOD!!! Wallace was the ONLY WR who dropped a gimme pass last year. That's awful. He should be killed. Or at least cut and forced to move to Oklahoma. :chuckle:

Sceeto and GMJohnson like this.
  7. MrClean

Well we cannot have the Bess vs Hartline debates with Shouright anymore, so there has gotta be something to replace it.

GMJohnson, Limbo, DPlus47 and 2 others like this.
  8. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University

He didn't sniff 9 drops the whole year, let alone 9 at a certain depth. Stats inc, and football charts both have Wallace at either 3-4 drops. PFF made an error.

9. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

This reminds me of the old "Henne doesn't trust or have chemistry" with Brandon Marshall. Then people say LOOK Davone Bess is producing!! They love complaining about not having a WR, then when we get one he's the culprit.

Sceeto likes this.
  10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Funny because above there are GIFs of Wallace dropping two balls in the Saints game alone. I guess there were only one or two other drops in the other 15 games combined?

11. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

I dunno, just going by the stats. Ya know. :up:

GMJohnson likes this.
  12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Here's another.

[​IMG]

13. MrClean

Are they? Where is the concrete proof of that? All I have seen is speculation. After he scores 9-10 TDs next season, hopefully the fans can find something else to snivel and whine about besides Wallace's contract.

Very few if any big ticket UFAs ever live up to the large contracts they sign. Yet teams have money to spend and still do those big deals every year. Wallace makes twice as much as Hartline. Does that mean if Hartline has 60 catches and 5 TDs, that unless Wallace has 120 catches and 10 TDs that he didn't live up to his contract?

14. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

8 more. Let's go!

15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
  16. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    That's thrown behind him. You can argue all day whether that is a drop or not, but PFF specifically says they do not rate the effort required of the WR. If it hits the hands they count it. Stats LLC rates their drops on passes that require normal effort to catch. They probably don't count that as a drop.

Now, I'm not trying to ignite a debate on whether or not that should be counted as a drop. Both methods have their disadvantages. Say a WR makes an incredible acrobatic leap to try and pull in an errant pass by the QB. Gets his hands on the ball but drops it. PFF counts it. Stats doesn't.

If Wallace doesn't even puts his hands up PFF doesn't count this one as a drop.

And this one wouldn't count either:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-.../Mike-Wallace-drops-potential-game-winning-TD

Sceeto and MrClean like this.
  17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Not really. Well, if you want to be right you won't argue about it all day.

18. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I'm explaining the difference in the two stats companies. Stats LLC only counts those that require normal effort by the WR.

19. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    That's got to be a drop. Pathetic effort, arms aren't even fully extended. If I was him I'd be embarrassed to have another receiver see that play.

20. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Ofcourse the throw was behind him, it was par for the course.

But hey, I don't want to piss in anyone's cornflakes since pointing out a flaw in Ryan's game is taboo because it ruins the wet dreams of posters who want him to be a franchise QB.

Sceeto and jdang307 like this.
  21. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    I read that Tanny and Wallace were working out together "on their own" trying to get the deep ball issue solved. Being their second year together coming up, hopefully they develop a little more chemistry, hell a lot more chemistry. Wallace is a little soft IMO going to the ball and you have to almost hit him perfectly but he does stretch the field. It's a lot of money to just stretch the field and he needs to get his arse in gear. That being said, Tanny did miss him on several routes where he was clearly open. Partly due to the pressure and partly due to Tanny just not putting the ball where it needed to be.

22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    What part of that play was abnormal?

23. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I have no problem with criticizing Ryan Tannehill. I've been an open proponent of drafting Teddy Bridgewater at 19 if he were to make it to that spot.

Regardless, Mike Wallace bears a lot of responsibility for his own lack of production despite all the excuse-making.

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    You read wrong. Wallace has been at home all off season. Tannehill had been throwing on his own in Miami with the other wide receivers but Wallace was home in New Orleans. Wallace checked into Miami's voluntary off season workouts a day late. He was the only player to do so.

25. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Thrown behind him.

Take it up with Stats, LLC, that podunk upstart stat company, not me ;)

Sceeto likes this.
  26. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    He does deserve some criticism, but he's under Tannehill in that department. And Teddy Bridgewater??? That would be the final straw. We have a good QB, he just needs to get better in a few areas, namely? Connecting with one of the best deep threats in the NFL.

Sceeto likes this.
  27. DPlus47

DPlus47 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Even when you're right, most arguments are not worth more than a few minutes.

28. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    If you want to share blame that's fine. I think it's on both of them. I'm pointing out to those who think it's all Wallace, that it isn't all Wallace. It's playcall and Tannehill's late recognition as well. Why?

Ben knew once Mike is even with the defender he's passing him. Tanny almost waits until Mike has that step to release it. It's something that will come with time.

Look at this play I've posted it before. They have time for a play action fake and still hits Wallace in stride at almost full speed at the 45'ish yard line.

[video=youtube;arKd8qnPB-I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arKd8qnPB-I[/video]

If you check out the 53 yard TD to Wallace, even though it results in a TD, it was late.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap2000000287545/QB-Tannehill-to-WR-Wallace-53-yd-pass-TD

At :48-49 you can pause it and see Tanny doesn't release it until Wallace is already past his guy and is looking back hoping the ball will be thrown his way. Now go back to the beginning and see how long Tanny is looking Wallace's way, how long he keeps scrambling before finally pulling the trigger. He scrambles for almost two seconds before releasing it. In real time the announcer is saying how bad of a throw it is.

Fin-Omenal and DPlus47 like this.
  29. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    You could also make the argument that Wallace ran the route wrong, which caused the ball to be thrown behind him.

30. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I've been saying since November, if Wallace is even he's leavin....Ryan struggled with anticipation a fair amount this year. Lazor will be the best thing to ever happen to Tannehill. And that includes Lauren.

31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    You might want to reconsider what Ben Roethlisberger supposedly "knew" considering he had no more luck throwing deep to Mike Wallace in 2012 than Ryan Tannehill did in 2013.

Mike Wallace used to be a compelling receiver. He's not anymore. He's just vastly overpaid. Don't worry. You'll see that soon enough when he's cut and then forced to take a dramatic pay cut.

32. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Why would anyone bring up catch rate to "defend" Wallace? It's near 50% which is terrible. Your memory is being selective, maybe willfully. I've seen it brought up to show how terrible having Wallace on the team is.

People have been using catch rate to kill our WRs going back to Chris Chambers. You don't remember the one year CC had the worst catch rate in the NFL, and Football Outsiders called him the NFL's worst receiver? I defended CC, saying those targets included thrown away passes, you need to take into account throwaways and routes ran etc.

That might be the forum that shall not be named, but it continued with Ginn and now Wallace. And I've seen it used to praise receivers here too.

33. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm saying that "catch rate" is about as useless in evaluating wide receivers as rainfall in Egypt and so more often than not when I see it brought up about Mike Wallace it's by someone like you pretending that Mike Wallace's detractors are commonly using something as idiotic as "catch rate" so that you can point out how misleading the stat is and therefore they're all wrong and you're all right. I.e. a straw man.

But the reality is I can't remember the last time someone on this board used explicit "catch rate" to criticize Mike Wallace.

34. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Everyone took a hit in 2012. Antonio Brown went from 16 ypc down to 12 the first year under Haley. You have to account for the OC in 2012 that Ben has openly complained about consistently since he took over. You attribute some of Sherman's play design to the lack of big play success between Tanny and Wallace so you need to mention the dink and dunk'meister that is Todd Haley when discussing lack of success in 2011. Ben R took a 1 ypa hit as well with the change, not insignificant.

This is the year though. I'm still hopefully. They connect on just just a few that they barely missed and maybe we're talking playoffs this past year.

Is he overpaid? Sure, but that doesn't concern me unless we're in cap trouble. Let Aponte worry about that. I didn't even really want to sign him for that much. But he's here, and I have hope these two will get on the same page. WE're talking just a few more hookups and it's a completely different season. If he fails yet again under Lazor, then yeah he needs to go sign with Arizona and complement Michael Floyd.

35. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    You used a subset of it just today.

So catch rate for 20+ is ok to bring up for debate. Catch rate for 0+ is not. Ok got it, point noted. ;) (Before you say you were discussing Tannehill I'd like to mention you used it to single out Wallace.)

GMJohnson likes this.
  36. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    You're right, it's Mikes fault.

Happy?

I'm sure you are.

37. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'd beg to differ on that. Miami might've had a better overall QB than Minnesota but Tannehill's downfield performance was indisputably worse, and that area just so happens to be where Wallace does his greatest damage.

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 830"]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]Passes of 21+ yards[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]Rating[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]attempts[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]complete[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]yards[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]yards/attempt[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]%[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]TD[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]TD%[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]INT[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]INT%[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]Minnesota[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]91.6[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]69[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]23[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]973[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]14.1[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]33.3%[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]7[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]10.1%[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]4[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]5.8%[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]Miami[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]45.0[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]60[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]13[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]518[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]8.6[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]21.7%[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]3[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]5.0%[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]5[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]8.3%[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

How many of those proper deep balls like this 57 yarder was Wallace afforded when he was running wide open downfield?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000299073/Greg-Jennings-57-yard-touchdown-catch

38. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    That looks more like a mix up than a drop. Wallace was continuing across the field, RT wanted him to throttle down.

39. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    No he didn't. Tannehill completed only 2 of 10 attempts beyond 20 yards to Hartline.

MrClean, Sceeto and Fin-Omenal like this.
  40. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Where I come from we call that a kill shot. Lol.