Greg Jennings vrs Mike Wallace..a year later.

376 replies

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
May 2, 2014, 12:22 PM

"Fin-Omenal wrote:

Sorry old man but you're not off the hook, nice try though.

You claimed HE DOESN'T FIGHT FOR THE BALL THEN ASKED FOR AN EXAMPLE. ..I gave you one. Now your deflecting as usual. And with some accurate passes he would've had 200+ yards in that game.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Fighting for the ball in 1 game out of 16 is not a goddamned accomplishment. Nor is it enough to say he does it. You're flailing here.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
May 2, 2014, 12:22 PM

"Limbo wrote:

Thank you for bringing up Bruce Arians. Guy was practically worshipped in Pittsburgh, and yea he's doing pretty freaking well since he left.

He's one of the best offensive coaches in the League with a pretty unbelievable track record. Coached WRs for years, taught and utilized a unique QB in Ben, and drew up a nice scheme for a one-dimensional weapon like Wallace.

I agree on Arians, easy evaluation on that guys success, still can't deny what Wallace did under pretty bad circumstances relative to his position..

Is it worth the money signed, no, do we know for sure how this story will play out, not yet, I'd like to give him another year before I run him.

Fin-OmenalFin-OmenalNew Member
May 2, 2014, 12:23 PM

"Fin D wrote:

Fighting for the ball in 1 game out of 16 is not a goddamned accomplishment. Nor is it enough to say he does it. You're flailing here.

You claimed he didnt fight for the ball. I proved you wrong. Wheres that pass in stride?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
May 2, 2014, 12:27 PM

"Stringer Bell wrote:

1000 yards and 80 catches doesn't come close to what Wallace needs to be producing at his price point. He is the highest paid WR in the NFL. 1400 yds and 10+ TDs should be his baseline.

I get that stringer, but don't you think some of the variables ( besides him not fighting for the ball on a couple occasions) had something to do with those numbers.?

I think with better variables, somewhat of a consistent run game, better deep throws by the Qb, better scheme, those numbers are attainable from what I witnessed that was left on the field.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
May 2, 2014, 12:28 PM

"Fin-Omenal wrote:

You claimed he didnt fight for the ball. I proved you wrong. Wheres that pass in stride?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

He fought for the ball 2 times in 142 attempts. You didn't prove **** other than he doesn't fight for the ball...and when he does....he actually plays well.

I never said there was a catch in stride. Clearly the problem here is you.

Fin-OmenalFin-OmenalNew Member
May 2, 2014, 12:37 PM

"Fin D wrote:

He fought for the ball 2 times in 142 attempts. You didn't prove **** other than he doesn't fight for the ball...and when he does....he actually plays well.

I never said there was a catch in stride. Clearly the problem here is you.

Lololollol.

You claimed he didn't catch a pass unless it was "in his breadbasket"

You cant show me a play that hits him in the breadbasket and I gave you one example of him making plays on the ball (there are more) what else do you want? You lost.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
May 2, 2014, 12:44 PM

"Fin-Omenal wrote:

Lololollol.

You claimed he didn't catch a pass unless it was "in his breadbasket"

You cant show me a play that hits him in the breadbasket and I gave you one example of him making plays on the ball (there are more) what else do you want? You lost.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

It was obviously a way of saying he didn't fight for the ball. So that's my fault, I got to keep reminding myself I'm not having a discussion with a rational adult.

Fin-OmenalFin-OmenalNew Member
May 2, 2014, 12:50 PM

"Fin D wrote:

It was obviously a way of saying he didn't fight for the ball. So that's my fault, I got to keep reminding myself I'm not having a discussion with a rational adult.

Or you make stupid comments then parlay it into an argument you never intended to make.

You fail.

Again.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
May 2, 2014, 12:53 PM

"Fin-Omenal wrote:

Or you make stupid comments then parlay it into an argument you never intended to make.

You fail.

Again.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

do both of you know that both of you are smart?

GMJohnsonGMJohnsonNew Member
May 2, 2014, 12:54 PM

Saying Wallace doesn't fight for the ball is like saying Hartline doesn't break tackles, DUH friggin DUH.

Its not Wallace or Tannehill. It's the OL and overall design of the offense. Let's get a decent run game and some pass pro so that stopping Wallace deep isn't the the primary concern of the defense, then grab your popcorn.

GMJohnsonGMJohnsonNew Member
May 2, 2014, 12:57 PM

"djphinfan wrote:

do both of you know that both of you are smart?

Ah let em battle it out. It's fun to watch.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
May 2, 2014, 12:59 PM

"Fin-Omenal wrote:

Or you make stupid comments then parlay it into an argument you never intended to make.

You fail.

Again.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Yeah, yeah, tell us again how the only time Wallace fought for the ball it was 125 yard day on 5 catches but all those other games he didn't it was Tannehill's fault. It makes all the sense. no really.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
May 2, 2014, 01:00 PM

"GMJohnson wrote:

Saying Wallace doesn't fight for the ball is like saying Hartline doesn't break tackles, DUH friggin DUH.

Its not Wallace or Tannehill. It's the OL and overall design of the offense. Let's get a decent run game and some pass pro so that stopping Wallace deep isn't the the primary concern of the defense, then grab your popcorn.

Breaking tackles is a skill. Fighting for the ball is effort. Anyone can display effort.

GMJohnsonGMJohnsonNew Member
May 2, 2014, 01:12 PM

"Fin D wrote:

Breaking tackles is a skill. Fighting for the ball is effort. Anyone can display effort.

I disagree. I'd say fighting for extra yards is every but as much about effort. Hartline routinely falls down with only a token effort at breaking tackles or picking up additional yardage. Its not a bad idea for him, see the Chargers game last year. It's simply not his game. And it's not Wallace's game to throttle down from warp speed, gather himself and leap over bigger/taller DBS to make catches 40 yds down field.

TotoreMexicoTotoreMexicoForum Veteran
May 2, 2014, 01:18 PM

"Fin-Omenal wrote:

You guy's are all angry at the wrong people.

Guess it's typical Dolphin fan to blame the guy actually DOING his job

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

A hell of a job I must say...

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
May 2, 2014, 01:25 PM

"GMJohnson wrote:

I disagree. I'd say fighting for extra yards is every but as much about effort. Hartline routinely falls down with only a token effort at breaking tackles or picking up additional yardage. Its not a bad idea for him, see the Chargers game last year. It's simply not his game. And it's not Wallace's game to throttle down from warp speed, gather himself and leap over bigger/taller DBS to make catches 40 yds down field.

You have to be strong or illusive to break tackles. Wallace is not at full speed every time he needs to fight for the ball. It simply takes effort to jump up for the ball or extend your arms. Hell, even if you don't catch anymore then normal at least try. Hartline doesn't have effort problems. I don't respect players that don't display that kind of effort.

GMJohnsonGMJohnsonNew Member
May 2, 2014, 01:29 PM

"TotoreMexico wrote:

A hell of a job I must say...

Great gif. Where are the others? I"ll wait...

TotoreMexicoTotoreMexicoForum Veteran
May 2, 2014, 01:32 PM

"GMJohnson wrote:

Great gif. Where are the others? I"ll wait...

Ask and you shall receive

Want more?

May 2, 2014, 01:34 PM

LOL. Oops.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
May 2, 2014, 01:41 PM

"djphinfan wrote:

do both of you know that both of you are smart?

If I were, I wouldn't be arguing over stupid crap on the internet.

gilv13gilv13Forum Veteran
May 2, 2014, 01:43 PM

"TotoreMexico wrote:

Ask and you shall receive

Want more?

Yes Please. If for nothing else, it makes me want to start drinking earlier than usual on this Friday.

jdang307jdang307Supporter
May 2, 2014, 01:50 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

Tannehill threw the ball to players not named Mike Wallace 28 times and they either caught or dropped 13 of those balls which is 46.4 percent. That would have ranked 9th in the league (out of 40 qualifying QBs) according to Pro Football Focus.

That percentage is in line with the 43.1 percent he achieved in 2012 before Mike Wallace arrived, which got him a 9th ranking (out of 33 qualifying QBs) in the league on Pro Football Focus.

However in 2013 he also threw 36 deep balls to Mike Wallace and only 8 of them were completed or dropped. The resulting 22.2 percent dragged down his total percentage to 32nd out of 40.

Question is why is he so much more accurate when throwing to everyone not named Mike Wallace? They call it "chemistry" for a reason. It's not just one-sided.

Because the balls thrown to WRs not Wallace were in the 20 range and the ones too Wallace were 40? And I wanted to compare them to Jennings as that might explain why subpar QBs might hit Jennings more if the throws were shorter in the air.

I originally posted this here:http://www.thephins.com/forums/showthread.php?81614-Feel-Good-Article-Tanny-2-Wallace&p=2327064&viewfull=1#post2327064 but nobody responded so let me try again.

According to WaPo:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2014/04/23/dolphins-ryan-tannehill-connected-on-just-six-deep-passes-last-season/?tid=hpModule_a4df998e-86a7-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394

According to Pro Football Focus, of the 36 “deep passes” (at least 20 yards) Tannehill threw to Wallace, only six of the eight “catchable” throws were successful — the worst percentage of 22 receivers ranked by PFF.

I don't have PFF so I was asking if anyone could verify. Your post seems to confirm it as you say only 8 of the 36 were completed or dropped (8 catchable, 6 actually caught).

Why is he so much more accurate when throwing to everyone else? Lots of possible reasons. Were their routes shorter? A 21 yard pass is not the same as a 40 yard one. Were their routes different? Do our WRs run comebacks at 20 yards out?

And of course speed. Hitting a turtle at 20 yards out is easier than a cheetah at 30+ yards out. I haven't and won't watch every deep throw unless someone has compiled them ;)

It's seems to me, from the film Tannehill needs to recognize quicker when Wallace is going to break one. That's going to come with confidence and real game reps. I don't study film as exhaustively as you guys. But from what I've seen, there were a few throws Tanny just waited a smidgen too long. You can't do that with Wallace as he's too fast. Tanny is almost waiting for Wallace to get that step before releasing it. He needs to start his throw as Wallace is getting that step if you know what I mean. It'll come with time and it won't be a high percentage play but the payoff is worth it when it connects.

jdang307jdang307Supporter
May 2, 2014, 02:09 PM

One trick pony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG2hOcexC3U

Of the five TDs, only one was on a deep go route (one Tannehill underthrew badly due to late recognition again). The rest were not. Think Sherman and Philbin missed something there?

I thought I read a stat someone posted here, that a lot of Wallace's TDs come on passes within 10 yards of the LOS. Him being a one-trick pony actually opens up a lot of other things, even for that pony.

Fin-OmenalFin-OmenalNew Member
May 2, 2014, 02:09 PM

"TotoreMexico wrote:

Ask and you shall receive

Want more?

"ckparrothead wrote:

LOL. Oops.

Guess Calvin Johnson sucks too. Let me google Calvin drop GIFs, na....continue on feeling like you've proven anything.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
May 2, 2014, 02:11 PM

"jdang307 wrote:

One trick pony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG2hOcexC3U

Of the five TDs, only one was on a deep go route (one Tannehill underthrew badly due to late recognition again). The rest were not. Think Sherman and Philbin missed something there?

I thought I read a stat someone posted here, that a lot of Wallace's TDs come on passes within 10 yards of the LOS. Him being a one-trick pony actually opens up a lot of other things, even for that pony.

Underthrew badly? He threw the ball 50 yards on the run.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty