1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greg McElroy says he’s better prepared for the NFL than Cam Newton

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-better-prepared-for-the-nfl-than-cam-newton/

Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy knows he’s not as good an athlete as Auburn quarterback Cam Newton. And McElroy is pretty sure he’s going to be waiting to hear his name called at the NFL draft long after Newton has been selected.
    But McElroy thinks he’s more ready to play in the NFL than Newton is.
    Asked on the Dan Patrick Show who’s better prepared to play in the NFL of the two of them, McElroy picked himself.

2. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    I like him even more now. Confidence is one of the top qualities of successful NFL QB's. I'm warming up to McElroy in the fourth round.

DolfanJake likes this.
  3. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    and he's probably 100% correct

McElroy can make his progressions and stand in the pocket without wetting his pants. And he doesn't have one tenth the red flags that Cam does, and no childish illusions of being some sort of entertainer/underwear spokesman

given a full offseason, a rookie McElroy can probably do as well or better than Henne did this last season

DolfanJake and Da 'Fins like this.
  4. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

What was he supposed to say? It's not like he jumped up and said unprovoked that he is. The quarterback who doesn't say himself has no place in this league.

PhiNomina, GMJohnson and Boik14 like this.
  5. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Especially in an area like preparation... Would any of you really say someone else was more prepared than you in, for example, a job interview?

"Yeah, that guy just works harder than me, but I'm still good!"

PhiNomina and CaribPhin like this.
  6. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

"That guy is an all around hard worker. I tried, but that guy just blows me out of the gym and film room. So in conclusion, that's why you should hire me".

PhiNomina likes this.
  7. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Its an ego driven league. YOU HAVE to think you are going to be the best.
    If he said "eeeeehhhhhh I think I'm decent" it means his confidence isnt too high and he'd be done mentally when he struggles.

8. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    I agree. McElroy played in a pro style offense while Cam did not. McElroy was able to read the defense all by himself while Cam needed his entire offensive coaching staff to read it for him and send him signals before the snap. Cam has a stronger arm and can run faster...but that's about the only thing he is better at than McElroy.

9. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Your analysis is so overly-simplistic I don't know even where to begin. So I will only say this: you have no idea what you're talking about.

10. Memphis_Alum

Memphis_Alum New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    I posed the idea of drafting McElroy in the later rounds if available about 2 months ago, and most seemed to disagree with the idea.

For the record, I still think Henne has potential to be a solid QB.
    Also, IMO the team that waste a 1st rd pick on Cam will be paying for it down the road....

11. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010

What can Cam do better than McElroy other than throw the ball further and run faster?

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  12. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Better passer rating;
    better TD/INT ratio;
    better mechanics;
    better leader;
    better work ethic;
    better escapability in the pocket (think Vince Young);
    harder to sack (think Big Ben);
    taller;

And by the way, arm strength and speed is are two HUGE factors that should not be overlooked.

13. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    Better passer rating? 170 to 180 for Greg and Cam in their senior season respectively. AND Greg played in a pro-style offense while Cam was spoon fed the reads from the sidelines.

Better mechanics? Seriously? Cam is ROUGH. Greg is a much better QB mechanic wise.

Better leader? LMAO! Greg lost 2...T-W-O games since high school. Cam started ONE season in college, was arrested for theft, and mired in a play for pay scandal. Hell, there is a great chance that he loses his Heisman and the NCAA takes away Auburn's National Title all because of him.

Better work ethic? You mean cheating and stealing are now considered work ethic? LOL!

Better escapability? Cam is faster, but Greg was sacked only 7 more times than Cam this season even though Greg is more of a traditional pocket passer. However, Greg has very good feet.

Harder to sack? Taller? Now you're reaching...How is ANY of this proving that Cam is better than Greg? Cam can throw harder and is faster. Yes, both great physical traits. However, when you throw it HARD to the defender rather than the WR because you can't read the defense how much does that trait matter? lol

mi2cents likes this.
  14. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    No his analysis is on target. Its a league where intelligence is more important then just physical skill for a QB. McElroy has more if it then Newton does or is at least better prepared for the NFL game based on the fact he played in a pro style system where Newton played in a gimmick offense. McElroy reminds me a lot of Matt Flynn. hes got the resume and similar physical tools to Flynn but no press and his play is overlooked for shinier toys that will eventually show their flaws.

Half that stuff means nothing. Its relative to what type of system you are playing in. All of Texas Tech's QB's had madden stats yet not one of them did anything in the NFL. Cam Newton will be a gigantic flop.

His mechanics are not better then McElroy's.
    His leadership certainly isnt better then McElroy's. Leadership is part of character...Newton is a giant fail in that department. The guy stole stuff from his own teammates for christs sake.
    His work ethic is better? How so? He envisions himself as an entertainer and focuses as much on that when you hear him speak.

Give me the guy with lesser talent and more intelligence over a player like Newton every time.

15. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Look man, you asked me a question and I answered it. Then, you dismiss the validity and veracity of my answers. You were never looking for me to really answer the question. Rather, you were looking for an argument. I don't wrestle with people covered in feces. Even if you pin them, you get covered in it.

I stand behind my points as to what "other" things Cam does better than McElroy. You know, other than little things like run faster and throw the ball better.

16. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    This.

I think Newton has great ability and potential. And, Don't know about McElroy's arm & overall accuracy. But there is no doubt in the world he's more prepared to run a pro style offense than Newton. Probably as prepared as any QB.

As smart as he is ... he could become a very good QB. But, at 6'2, 220 (Combine measurements), and not a strong arm (dare I say, Pennington-esque - when Chad first entered the league), there are question marks. But, if he shows Pennington-like ability he could become a serviceable starter and solid backup for several years. Wish he had measured out more like 6'3.5 and had a bit more zip. He'd then be very appealing.

17. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    I wasn't looking for an argument. Your initial reply to me, however, had defensive and argumentative written all over it. I tried to reply cordially and respectively.

Your "answers" didn't really answer my question. That's the problem. If I asked you what 2+2 equaled and you replied "C"...I'd dismiss that. I didn't dismiss your "answer" this time though, I shot it out of the water.

18. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    1. You asked me what Cam does better than Greg.
    2. I told you what Cam does better than Greg.
    3. You responded by saying either (a) I was plain wrong and Greg is better at the "thing"; or (b) the "thing" Cam does better than Greg is unimportant when it comes to being a QB.

19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Not really, you just presented your opinion. Saying one is better than the other is not a fact. Both are highly successful college quarterbacks.

Cam newton is a one year player and Greg is a two year player.

By your comparison of Greg to Cam, Greg should be considered a 1st round pick or a 2nd round pick. However Greg is considered a 4th round pick at best at this moment. It cannot be just his arm because Pennington was a first round pick.

20. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    GM may be more prepared but I see his upside as very limited. He tends to lock on receivers, his accuracy is good in the short range but nothing special on passes longer than about 15 yards, he doesn't have much ability to extend the play, he doesn't show particularly good anticipation, he doesn't show good eye discipline, his arm strength is adequate... there's more but basically, I see a stronger armed Josh Heupel. IMO he could eventually be a decent back-up. but I wouldn't bet on it.

21. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    He may be better prepared, but his physical tools, or lack thereof, are going to keep him from becoming anything other than a good backup at best.

22. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    If you feel the need to make this thread about Newton's race (either pro or against), keep it to yourself. This is a football board and football is what we will discuss. Demographics of any kind have nothing to do with a players ability to play.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  23. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010

That's what was said about Brees and Brady too. Just to mention a couple.

24. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    His response wasnt to you, it was to someone else who made a comment that was deleted. Let it go please

GARDENHEAD and MarinePhinFan like this.
  25. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    No problem. :)

GARDENHEAD and Boik14 like this.
  26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    It was also said about Josh Heupel, and many more people who are not NFL quarterbacks.

Also Brees was considered a 2nd round/low first round pick. A much better prospect than Greg. Brady has been the exception to the rule.

27. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010

I wonder what Favre, Warner, Bulger, Ken Anderson, Rich Gannon, Brian Sipe (MVP winner), Schaub, Brunell, Hasselbeck, Theisman, Brad Johnson, Lamonica, Fouts, Van Brocklin, Tarkenton, Montana, Starr, Staubach, and Unitas have to say about that?

28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    You have to go through all of the quarterbacks since the time of Van Brocklin to get as many quarterbacks that succeed to even compare to the amount that fail in just two drafts.

29. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    lol...QB's picked in the 1st round fail about 50-55% of the time and tie up team money for years. 2nd rounders and lower fail at about a 60-65% rate and tie up nearly no money until they prove themselves. The rewards for a 1st Round QB like Manning are limitless, but the rewards for ANY QB that becomes your franchise guy and leads your team to the promise land are. However, the penalties for a 1st round bust are horrible and far outweigh the penalties for having a later round guy bust.

30. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    The failures for first round busts are only a problem for top 5 quarterbacks. The Cardinal are just fine after experiencing the bust of Matt Lienart.

10 to 15% is pretty big rate jump. Also the rate goes up higher to 3rd to 7th. In fact most people would not call them busts because a 3rd round quarterback turning into a starter is looked upon as a reach.

31. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I respectfully disagree. I believe that McElroy will have success in the NFL.

MarinePhinFan likes this.
  32. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    The Cards got lucky because they got Warner. ;)

33. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I disagree that Cam is a better leader. How many times is he going to run in the NFL before he takes shots and his NFL life starts to chip away?

34. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    What team was ruined by drafting a quarterback after the 9th pick in the draft?

All first round busts really suck, however after the high salaries of the top five or even 8, it is not nearly as damaging

35. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Brother you just explained why McElroy would be a good fit in our offense.

MarinePhinFan likes this.
  36. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    Leinart got a six-year, $51 million contract and was the 10th overall pick. That's a big hit on the cap of any team. If they hadn't of picked up Warner who would have been their QB after leinhart failed to make the cut? Would they have made it to the Super Bowl?

37. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    how much of that contract was "incentives" and future bonuses?

Your two questions are meaningless. Even with Leinart they were able to pick up Warner

38. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010

They signed Warner before Leinhart. If they had not of picked him up, they would have suffered greatly because of that Leinhart pick.

39. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Then no even less of a problem with drafting Leinhart

40. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    Again, the cards got lucky. They signed Warner for a one year deal intending him to be a stop gap for Leinhart to be the future. Warner showed us all and played some of his best football and for more than one year. I think the Cards are still paying Leinhart.