1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gronk with a Punctured Lung...?

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by Galant, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    I've no idea how serious this sort of thing is but apparently Gronk took a hit last night against the Seahawks and it may have resulted in a punctured lung...!

NFL.com - Gregg Rosenthal

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    He's already up to 68 medical procedures in his career. If this one now somehow requires surgery...

3. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    68 really?

4. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Madden you devil you..

These are all freak injuries.. but still its piling on a lot.. i wonder how long he will last..

5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Whatever. They'll get him to the mechanic and he'll be out in a week or so.

xphinfanx likes this.
  6. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    "Punctured lung", in this instance, is kind of a misnomer.

The media has been very wishy-washy on this. Probably because they themselves had conflicting reports.

My guess is he did have a partially collapsed lung due to the hit from Chancellor. Basically, the lung suffered trauma and leaked some air into the chest cavity. When this happens the air pressure inside the chest cavity becomes positive, rather than negative, and the lung can't fully inflate. If the pneumothorax (air trapped between lung and chest wall) doesn't resolve on its own then a chest tube may have to be placed. Sounds like this was a very small pocket of air and it's resolving on it's own. Some people suffer this from coughing too hard. Others, mainly tall, skinny, males, have this happen without any sort of outside influence.