1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guitar Rising

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Phinperor, Apr 1, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Game Trailer

so basically it's a stripped down version of guitar hero using a REAL guitar and w/out the over the top graphics and characters. I personally can't stand GH, and probably won't like this either but thought I'd share for those who might. If nothing else it's a step in the right direction and you may actually learn something rather than slapping plastic around trying to get the highest score. I'd much rather just go pick up my guitar and write my own songs, but hey, that's just me.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  2. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    I may get this. I've started learning guitar but it's kind of boring at first....and my attention span is like 5 minutes.

3. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    How would that work for people with zero guitar experience though?

GH and Rock Band were made to be fun, not too teach you instruments either. So I don't know how you can say it's a step in the right direction? Unless of course this game will be more fun then either of those franchises.

4. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    hopefully itll help me learn the damn thing.

5. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Like I said I've played GH and just don't get the point, but like you said it's a game and it's supposed to be fun so I understand your point of view as well, I just did not enjoy myself and got bored easily. I'm just saying that for me personally as a musician I have more fun trying to create real music rather than playing someone elses for a pretend score. I just misworded it a bit, I meant to say that this new game may inspire kids to actually pick up a real instrument and teach them something while having fun at the same time, something GH can't do. :wink2:

Stitches likes this.
  6. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    The point for me is to get drunk and have fun, and still play somewhat coherant rockable songs! If i were to try that with a real instrument my dogs wold still be screaming!

TheMageGandalf, Pagan and Phinperor like this.
  7. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    been there done that...:pointlol:

8. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
  9. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Smells like April fools to me,

10. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    I believe it to be legit after reading up on it.

11. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Another article about the game:

12. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Guitar Hero is a game. God how many times does that have to be posted? I've never seen soldiers or marines bashing call of duty, i've never seen a race car driver bash gran turismo, nothing like that, yet for some reason guitar players all around for some reason feel the need to hate on something that is nothing more than a fun game people can play while enjoying good music. What's the harm in that? It's no more pointless than any other video game. The end goal is always for the player to have fun. Looking at the sales since the series launched I'd say that goal is being achieved.

And I do enjoy playing real guitar and if the game in this thread is real that could be a cool way for me to get much better at it.

Phinperor likes this.
  13. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    It's good to have a differing opinion coming from another musician in regards to GH. Of course not everyone will agree. You see it as fun, and I do not. Just simply expressing my opinion just as you are free to do. :wink2:

14. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to jump all over you I just don't understand the phenomenon I've seen with guitar players almost despising guitar hero. I just haven't seen it with any other type of video game. Maybe you have some insight for me about how this is different than say if a soldier thought a war game was stupid.

And I'm hardly a musician but thanks. : )

15. Firesole

Mar 24, 2008
    I can almost see where he is coming from. I have thought that alot of war games are stupid and pointless, but then again I also know that they are only for our entertainment. They aren't supposed to be simulations. GH is not a simulation. It is just a game for friends to get together and play popular rock songs, and almost "experience" what it might be like to have the talent to play a guitar.

And no, I am not saying that playing GH is anything like being able to play a guitar.

16. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    I understand bro, no worries. I can't speak for anyone else but most of the guys/guitarists I know won't even touch it and are much like the way you described in your previous post. I gave it a fair shot and it just did nothing for me personally. I honeslty didn't like it because I just didn't see the point. Again, if you enjoy it and have fun playing it that's enough reason right there, however, it really just felt like I was wasting my time. I gained nothing from the experience whatsoever, It just made me want to automatically go for my real guitar and start playing. In regards to the soldier comparison I have no idea, I'm not one and I don't play first person shooters/war games.

17. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I'm a soldier, I admit I've cursed a couple of games for something that I found incredibly unrealistic, like on call of duty once when a guy charged me head on and stabbed me when I had an M249 spraying in his direction. :tantrum: But I don't hate shooters and like you said I understand that it is not a simulation.

And for what it's worth the game did get me interested in learning real guitar. That's not a bad thing. I've learned a few chords and am on my way. :up:

18. Firesole

Mar 24, 2008
    I can understand that people who already play guitar don't want to play this game. It's not meant to be realistic, it's just made for fun. I've also heard that people who do play guitar are not very good at the game. I'm not saying you are or not, but on the average I think its harder for actual guitar players to play the game.

Phinperor likes this.
  19. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    No, I believe you are correct. When I first picked up the guitar (besides from it's obvious size and weight difference) the buttons and frets are spaced oddly when being used to playing a real guitar for so many years. It took me probably 3 songs to figure out how to re-program my mind and fingers to match the controller. I believe going into it blind you actually have an advantage. I kept reaching for buttons that weren't there because I'd over stretch 2-3 frets. It was definitely frustrating at first, however, when I finally managed to catch on I just lost interest quick.

20. peastri

peastri iD'Artiste Luxury Box

Mar 25, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    this doesn't sound too bad imo. GH annoyed me as it always seemed to be slightly off to the music. I kept going to strum a note only to find it wasn't there or it seemed to be a button in an unnatural position. I always thought the game would be much easier if it used a real guitar lol

but like you say I'd rather pick up my own guitar and strum away :yes:

Phinperor likes this.