Guitar World's Top 132 Greatest Guitarists Poll, Down to the ELITE 8...

29 replies

CashInFistCashInFistForum VeteranOP
Sep 26, 2012, 07:41 PM

Final 8 in the bracket are:

LEFT SIDE:

Jimi Hendrix vs. Stevie Ray Vaughan

Jimmy Page vs. Brian May

RIGHT SIDE:

Eddie Van Halen vs. Joe Satriani

Tony Iommi vs. Alex Lifeson

I'm pretty sure it's going to be Jimi vs. Eddie in the finals. With Jimi winning. Hendrix has never lost one of these polls since their inception in 1970. Although I think Eddie should win.

My top 5 ever:

1. Eddie Van Halen
2. Joe Satriani
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. Randy Rhoads
5. Steve Vai/Stevie Ray Vaughan

Vote Here:

http://www.guitarworld.com/poll-greatest-guitarist-all-time-round-5-eddie-van-halen-vs-joe-satriani

LINK TO BRACKET (CAN'T POST IT FOR SOME REASON...):

http://dl.guitarworld.com/Sweet16Bracket.jpg

CashInFistCashInFistForum Veteran
Sep 27, 2012, 09:24 PM

Eddie up 61% to 39% over Satch.

Is nobody else interested? This is the ALL-TIME greatest guitar players EVER. From the best guitar magazine/website of all-time.

Starry31Starry31Forum Veteran
Sep 27, 2012, 10:00 PM

Greatest? I don't know. My favorite will always probably be Iommi though.

FasanoPaisanoFasanoPaisanoSupporter
Sep 28, 2012, 05:54 AM

I voted for Satch...not that it will matter tho. EVH founded one of the most popular bands with great/catchy tunes that remained popular spanning 3 decades, so he has plenty of fans that will carry him past Satch. I always viewed Satch as a player's player -- IMO at the top of the heap -- who got some mainstream attention for a short time, but didn't write the typucal "hits" that people can sing in the shower, so....

My 2nd favorite of all time was Gilmour, but looks like he got a tough draw against my 3rd favorite hendrix, whose going against my 4th favorite SRV, and will probably be up against my 5th favorite, EVH, in the finals.

PaganPaganForum Veteran
Sep 28, 2012, 12:43 PM

Waste of time. All these "competitions" are. Should be titled "Favorite" not "Greatest."

I can name 5 right off the top of my head who absolutely smoke May, Iommi and Lifeson.

Al Dimeola anyone? What a joke. smh

".. hell you even have a fireman who rubs his balls on another mans head for three hours a week.. show some class, don't make fun of us poor Dolphins fans. :shifty:" ~ cnc66

"There is no sweeter nectar, than the misery riddled tears of Jets fans." ~ Finascious D

unluckylucianounluckylucianoNew Member
Sep 28, 2012, 12:51 PM

pat metheny
john scoffield
hendrix
muddy waters -- but that's admittingly more my favorite haha

thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs.


Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.

CashInFistCashInFistForum Veteran
Sep 29, 2012, 01:13 PM

"Pagan wrote:

Waste of time. All these "competitions" are. Should be titled "Favorite" not "Greatest."

I can name 5 right off the top of my head who absolutely smoke May, Iommi and Lifeson.

Al Dimeola anyone? What a joke. smh

You may be right, you may be wrong. But, did anyone REALLY think that it wouldn't come down to Jimi Hendrix vs Eddie Van Halen? At least the fans got that right.

cdz12250cdz12250Supporter
Sep 29, 2012, 05:14 PM

I am a guitar player myself. I don't even begin to approach what any of these people do. But as a player, I don't see how people with unique talents applied to different times, styles and genres can possibly be ranked.

CashInFistCashInFistForum Veteran
Sep 29, 2012, 05:17 PM

"FasanoPaisano wrote:

I voted for Satch...not that it will matter tho. EVH founded one of the most popular bands with great/catchy tunes that remained popular spanning 3 decades, so he has plenty of fans that will carry him past Satch. I always viewed Satch as a player's player -- IMO at the top of the heap -- who got some mainstream attention for a short time, but didn't write the typucal "hits" that people can sing in the shower, so....

My 2nd favorite of all time was Gilmour, but looks like he got a tough draw against my 3rd favorite hendrix, whose going against my 4th favorite SRV, and will probably be up against my 5th favorite, EVH, in the finals.

Eddie Van Halen has tastier licks than the center of a Tootsie Pop!!! :up:

CashInFistCashInFistForum Veteran
Sep 29, 2012, 05:26 PM

"cdz12250 wrote:

I am a guitar player myself. I don't even begin to approach what any of these people do. But as a player, I don't see how people with unique talents applied to different styles and genres can possibly be ranked.

March 30, 2012. I took my 10 year old Son, first row club level. Live the dream. :knucks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWj1XmAMROA

cdz12250cdz12250Supporter
Sep 29, 2012, 05:51 PM

"CashInFist wrote:

March 30, 2012. I took my 10 year old Son, first row club level. Live the dream. :knucks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWj1XmAMROA

Nice. Finger picking fast pentatonic scales on the upper registers. No tonality or nuance like hammer ons, pulls, bends etc. but that's just on one song that doesn't call for anything else. You can't judge him compared to anyone else by one tune or one style is what I' saying. Listen to him on YouReally Got Me and compare him to Ray Davies, and you get closer to what I'm talking about -- you see he's a virtuoso.

CashInFistCashInFistForum Veteran
Sep 29, 2012, 06:42 PM

"cdz12250 wrote:

Nice. Finger picking fast pentatonic scales on the upper registers. No tonality or nuance like hammer ons, pulls, bends etc. but that's just on one song that doesn't call for anything else. You can't judge him compared to anyone else by one tune or one style is what I' saying. Listen to him on YouReally Got Me and compare him to Ray Davies, and you get closer to what I'm talking about -- you see he's a virtuoso.

This was the 5th time I've seen Van Halen (1st with my Son), this was the best I've seen Eddie play. Look at the 2012 tour reviews. Glowing, every last one. :)

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Sep 30, 2012, 01:39 AM

"Pagan wrote:

Waste of time. All these "competitions" are. Should be titled "Favorite" not "Greatest."

I can name 5 right off the top of my head who absolutely smoke May, Iommi and Lifeson.

Al Dimeola anyone? What a joke. smh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGWfDkx4zyY you speak the truth



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

WhiteIbanezWhiteIbanezNew Member
Sep 30, 2012, 01:56 AM

WhiteIbanezWhiteIbanezNew Member
Sep 30, 2012, 02:07 AM

I always loved sloppy Jimmy Page.
King of sitting the rock & roll blues box.

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Sep 30, 2012, 02:52 AM

my top 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFoBbNHvOME&feature=g-vrec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrRZ4Ub9HDY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z60Lyt4JwTk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcwDDm9IfBY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGY0KEGVK6Q



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Sep 30, 2012, 02:53 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftBOkdClbzc



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

WhiteIbanezWhiteIbanezNew Member
Sep 30, 2012, 03:10 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9T06UfP1S0

FasanoPaisanoFasanoPaisanoSupporter
Sep 30, 2012, 10:45 AM

"adamprez2003 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftBOkdClbzc

This is the guy that first inspired me to play guitar. Anyone who likes his playing and hasn't yet done so should check out his self titled solo album from '78.

NYFinFanNYFinFanNew Member
Sep 30, 2012, 11:59 AM

I'd like to see the entire bracket from when it started. I'd like to know where John Petrucci, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jason Becker, Michael Romeo and Alex Skolnick ended up.

DEDen54Supporter
Sep 30, 2012, 02:46 PM

"adamprez2003 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGWfDkx4zyY you speak the truth

Indeed he does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYPstC6BVS8

PaganPaganForum Veteran
Oct 1, 2012, 11:37 AM

R.I.P. Shawn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBKnYrwIP0o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gboGXBdYyWk

".. hell you even have a fireman who rubs his balls on another mans head for three hours a week.. show some class, don't make fun of us poor Dolphins fans. :shifty:" ~ cnc66

"There is no sweeter nectar, than the misery riddled tears of Jets fans." ~ Finascious D

PaganPaganForum Veteran
Oct 2, 2012, 02:42 PM

"NYFinFan wrote:

I'd like to see the entire bracket from when it started. I'd like to know where John Petrucci, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jason Becker, Michael Romeo and Alex Skolnick ended up.

I like this guy. ;)

".. hell you even have a fireman who rubs his balls on another mans head for three hours a week.. show some class, don't make fun of us poor Dolphins fans. :shifty:" ~ cnc66

"There is no sweeter nectar, than the misery riddled tears of Jets fans." ~ Finascious D

Fin Fan In CaliFin Fan In CaliLuxury Box
Oct 2, 2012, 10:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paPNQpXsDD4

How does Gary Moore lose to Eric Johnson right out of the gate? :no:


Rest in peace bigbry and dolphin debby!

CashInFistCashInFistForum Veteran
Oct 6, 2012, 07:21 PM

"NYFinFan wrote:

I'd like to see the entire bracket from when it started. I'd like to know where John Petrucci, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jason Becker, Michael Romeo and Alex Skolnick ended up.

ENTIRE BRACKET:

http://dl.guitarworld.com/GreatestGuitaristReadersPollBracket.jpg

Eddie Van Halen made the finals (Surprise?).

Brian May is LEADING Jimi Hendrix 51% to 49%. LOL, if Brian May beats Hendrix this will be a runaway win for Eddie in the Finals...