1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gym/diet help

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by anlgp, Oct 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

i'm hitting the gym on avg 3 days a week. i'm going to try and do 4. 2 days upper 2 days lower.

i split my gym into two segments today. was there for a few hrs in the morning and there for a few in the afternoon before class.

morning

ran for an hour. burned roughly 624 some calories and covered 3 miles. high incline (wouldn't go any higher), jogged at speed 4 for 5 mins and walked at speed 2 for 5 minutes. never lowered the incline until the cool down period at the end, and then i picked up the pace until the final few minutes.

i did 30 lbs on the bench press until my arms couldn't take it any longer. i worked the back machine, and the shoulder machine (don't know what they're called lol). i basically did burnouts on those as well. started at 50 and worked my way down.

afternoon

same run as before

i did this thing with the bench press bar.

15 (wait 15 seconds), 14 (wait 14 seconds) etc. I did 5 at first then convinced myself to do 10 more. i was trying not to push it too hard, although my arms and chest feel fine right now (no joint pains, etc).

i burned a total of roughly 1,240 some calaries and covered six miles in two hours.

here's what i ate and drank today roughly.

oatmeal cream pie in the morning :lol: way for a breakfast huh?

170 calories
    60 from fat
    total fat 7 g saturated is 10% trans 0g
    cholesterol 0
    sodium 7%
    total carbs 9%
    fiber <1g 2%
    sugars 12g
    Protein 1g

while doing the morning workout i had a big (32oz I believe) gatorade.

50 calories
    5%sodium
    1 potassium
    14g sugar.

the rest are 0. i don't know how many servings it was.. but going conservative i'll say four.

after i did the morning workout i went and had some breaded chicken tenders from the cafeteria. i don't know the nutritional information for these, but there were about 4/5 of them.

i then went and did the afternoon thing a few hours later.

then i had some motzerrela sticks. same thing, don't know the info but there were roughly 4/5 of them.

then i had 2 reese's cups - one small package of them, not two packages (http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/sweets/5456/2)

and a snickers bar (http://www.peertrainer.com/DFcaloriecounterB.aspx?id=5624)

for a snack.

I'm not hungry now, and I know this is not the best diet. I'm wondering what this routine allows me to eat in a given day, and know I need to bring my protein mix along.

Also, I have it sitting next to me now. Should I drink some? Should I grab something to eat? Does it matter what? I'm looking to tone up and lose fat. I don't necessarily want to be ahnald, but I'd like to have definition.

Thanks!

2. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    One thing you need to cut out some of those processed sugars you bone most of your gains with those two candy bars. Grab some fruit, a serving of prunes (really if you eat a couple servings per day you feel fantastic), cut an avocado in half or assuming no allergies a handful of almonds or some combination of the above.

anlgp likes this.
  3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    First things first, no offense brother, but it looks like you eat a lot of CRAP.

Chicken is great for diet. Breaded chicken is crappy for Diet.

Oatmeal is GREAT for diet, oatmeal creme pie will kill you fast

Gatorade is over-rated unless you are out in the sun and need the electrolytes. I would stick to water in the gym

One of the best things you can do diet wise is more smaller meals. Don't eat hug helpings a few times a day, but rather several smaller meals throughout the day.

As for your routine, don't just split it into upper and lower.
    One big secret is that your mucle sets do two motions, pushing and pulling. Your bicep pulls while your tricep pushes.
    Back: Pull
    Chest: Push
    Shoulders: Push.

It is key to target each group individually, but make sure you have at least, bare minimum 24 hours recovery, otherwise you are over training.

My current routine:
    Mon: Chest, Neck, forearms
    Tue: Legs:heavy
    Wed: Bicep, Shoulders
    Thurs: Legs light (Quick twinge)
    Fri: Triceps, Back

This has been working pretty good, and I will mix it up about every third week or so.

EDIT:
    Also, I am a firm believer in the more protien the better for mass, but not too much in one setting. Don't drink one huge shake, but rather several smaller ones throughout the day. And never ever pay the rediculous money for those RTD Mucsle milk in a can.

anlgp likes this.
  4. anlgp

this is not my diet day in and day out. just what i had today. should clarify that.

5. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I always weight trained before running. Running first will zap you of your strength and lessen your ability to lift. Run 2nd, lift first.

Less walking, more jogging imo. Push yourself. If you need to stop after 5 minutes you need to lower your speed and/or incline a bit and build stamina.

Burnout sets are great, thats my favorite way to lift. You know youre getting something done when you wake up feeling stiff as a board the next morning :lol:

Protein mix isnt as important as getting some lean protein in your diet is. That stuff is not really made to be a meal substitute. You still need chicken or fish or some turkey...something with nutritional value so you dont fill up on crap like mozzarella sticks and snickers bars. Also less fried crap. There is nothing worse for your body in terms of food.

Also there is no fruit or vegetables in this diet. Epic fail buddy. Your body needs that stuff. And it makes great roughage.

Instead of cream pies try getting a box of quakers cinnamon apple oatmeal or cinnamon and brown sugar. Just as sweet but much healthier and they take two minutes to make in the microwave. Oatmeal is great for the heart. Manufactured products like cream pies are not.

ToddsPhins and anlgp like this.
  6. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    its late and im tired...too tired to goto bed actually. you ever get like that? too ;azy to brush the teeth and change, put the alarm on... anyway..

if i read things right, you trained chest in the morning, and then in the afternoon again, in the same day? basically, this is no good. you should hit your chest in one session, and then let it rest for a few days. and if you are doing a bench movement, you should feel it in your chest, more than your arms. you seem new to bodybuilding and weight training, judging by your routine, and where you are feeling the results. unless you got a buddy who can take you under their wing, i'd recommend picking up some Flex magazines. If you get past the ridiculous juice bags in the photos, there are usually good routines and theories on lifting in there. when i first started weight training years ago, i had a subscription, and it helped educate and motivate me. it will throw a bunch of theories out there to you which can help, but more importantly, steer you away from what you shouldn't be doing. and check this room, im pretty sure there are some decent routines posted.

7. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ

that reminds me about an old conversation we were having. ive been reading and researching a book, theres a thread in here on it "The China Study"...and it proves with over-whelming statistics, how animal based proteins, and especially casein, can act as a major catalyst in promoting carcinogens and aiding them enormously in conversion to cancer. serious stuff. im going to try hard to lower my animal based protein, and go way more holistic, and try to find and consume plant based proteins. my wife being a vegetarian does help as probably 60-70% of what i consume is non-animal based.

anlgp likes this.
  8. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    ANLGP, it might be possible that your body has a dependency on sugar/carbs.... so I think it very wise that you attack this health thing from the inside out.

Simple sugars and starchy carbs (pasta, white potatoes etc) spike your insulin levels which in turn causes your body to store fat. Addressing your diet is a faster way to lose weight than hours of daily exercise. Make sure your internal health is prime and then focus on weight training. Repairing internal health can sometimes zap your body of energy as it's using extra internal energy to heal yourself, leaving little energy to use on fitness and exercise.

So before you plan a course of action, I want you to do a simple test for me to see if you have an overgrowth of intestinal body yeast that is making you crave excessive amounts of carbs. If you do, this is the FIRST thing that needs to be addressed, unless you want to end up with Fibromyalgia, intestinal diseases, or cancer etc.

This is what you HAVE to do:

1. As soon as you get out of bed the morning after you read this <before you eat or brush your teeth> I want you to fill a clear glass/bottle (that you can see into) with water.
    2. Spit in it with as much saliva you have without hawkin a loogie.
    3. Watch what the saliva does and give it 5 minutes.
    4. See if it stays on the top..... or if it starts to fall to the bottom in strings, turning cloudy and milky in appearance.

After you do this, let me know what it did.... and if it sank to the bottom, did it happen real fast or did it take a few minutes? Then we'll take it from there, brother. Trust me. ;)

9. anlgp

I can do this now unless it has to be before eating or drinking anything?

10. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Doesn't work the same. LOL. Gotta wait till right after you wake up.
    You can try it now and if you're really bad off, it might still sink to the bottom, but you'd still have to redo it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

11. anlgp

Ok I figured there was a reason. I'll try my best to remember to do it in the morning and let you know what I notice.

Just so I'm clear I'm supposed to fill the glass with water and spit in it? No drinking?

What happens if it sinks real fast what does that mean? :lol:

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  12. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    yeah. what are we looking for here. i may try this too, for the hell of it.

anlgp likes this.
  13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    yup. Just spit in it and watch. ;)
    If it turns cloudy and sinks to the bottom in strings, then you have a yeast overgrowth that has possibly turned into a fungus in your blood...and which changes the composition of your saliva. This seems odd, but it's becoming very common....although it's not tought about in med school or recognized by physicians. As a fungus, it's more toxic than mold and in your blood it can pass into and affect your vital organs, lungs, heart and brain. Most known diseases and conditions can be caused by it.

Yeast feeds off sugar and crappy carbs like regular pasta, processed foods, white bread etc. So this fast food/garbage food generation is killing their insides. Same with antibiotics! Don't take them unless it's life or death. They kill off all the good bacteria in our intestines that keep the yeast in check. If the yeast keeps getting fed and can stay unchecked, then they eventually develop roots into your intestinal wall breaking into your blood stream. This compromises your intestines and allows food molecules, parasites, yeast etc to leak out into your body. Not good! Your immune system sees all this as foreign invaders and attacks it.....and has to keep attacking everytime you eat, which overloads your immune system causing autoimmune diseases.

All this is toxic to your system and must be rid of, but your liver can process only so much, which overloads and damages your liver....and makes your liver send these toxins and pollution to be stores up in other areas of your body bc it has to go somewhere. These spots are your joints, back, and other connective tissue. Also releases these excess toxins through your skin, as we've come to know as acne in many cases. Pain gradually develops. It's still seen as foreign in your knees, hands, etc so your immune system sends out a different army to attack it (mesophages) but they attack a general area rather than isolating the enemy, meaning your joints etc are constantly attacked too, leading to major inflamation (arthritis and fibromyalgia) and deterioration. The immune system becomes so overloaded that it is unable to fight the common cold.

The roots from the yeast keeps your food from being broken down properly so that your body has trouble absorbing necessary nutrients to function properly or carry out proper brain functioning. Your memory starts going. The yeast makes you crave carbs to feed it. The Carbs lowers your body's blood PH which inhibits oxygen absorption, and oxygen is needed for every cell in our body to survive. Oxygen also kills all disease. Lower PH allows cancer, parasites, and disease to grow.

To keep themselves from dying, your now oxygen/nutrient starved ex-healthy cells may become single-celled organisms living independently from you, and as such they now use sugar for energy....leaving them a perfectly disguised host for cancer to inhabit without being attacked from our immune system. Dropping PH into the 5's is where cancer matastecises and you become terminal. Your entire body becomes like a polluted sewer system, showing up as very dark red blood, where it should be bright red.

I've condensed it all for ya and left a lot out, but this should give you a good idea.

Are you gassy a lot or have any irritable bowell symptoms? Allergic to foods dairy? IE: does milk, cheese, pasta, pizza etc make you fart or stir your stomach? Do you break out at all/acne? Any other allergies or sinus problems? Smelly pits? Sugar craving? Mood swings? Irritability? Insomnia? Excessive perspiration? Brain fog? Lack of motivation? Skin/face blotchy? Dry or scaly skin? Fungus on nails, fingers or toes (athletes foot)? Yeast infections for women. Mom or dad with any conditions? Bad breath? This is just to name a few of a hundred or so. LOL.

GISH, SICK and anlgp like this.
  14. anlgp

the only things i can say is that i have a stomach issue i have yet to get checked out, but i think that was due to stress at the time. the symptoms have gone away but i doubt it has. i don't break out. i have sinus problems, but i have major allergies and my glasses are old and i need to get checked up that way too.

don't smell really. no sugar craving. i know there are different sugars (and some say worse) in diet, but that's what we drink since my dad is diabetic. i try my best to do the water thing.

mood swings no. irritability not usually. i'm up late usually, but have a regular schedule. not excessive perspiration. brain fog.. ? i'm somewhat emotionally detached from the external world but i know the reason for that. lack of motivation depends on what i'm getting motivated for :lol: no blotchy face i've been told i have good skin.

15. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    ok. Good. You don't seem too bad off. You could go either way- for the yeast that is. :lol:

Take the test in the morning and we'll hope it stays afloat. ;) then we'll go from there.
    Posted via Mobile Device

16. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    just did the spit test.....woke up and spit, no water, brush teeth or anything....and its still floating at the top........good no?

17. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Fair enough, but I would be quick to argue you can find bad in anything if you look hard enoiugh. Of course some things are worse for you than others.
    I had a long running conversation with somebody about Creatine and whether or not its bad for you.
    Truth is that creatine as well as animal based protiens are naturally produced by our own bodies, so by your analysis, our bodies are promoting cancer.
    I really don't like to tell people how to eat, but I have a niece and nephew who were raised vegetarians (mostly because of religion) and as a direct result, those two are sick often. Protien and especially animal protien is a vital builing block in our metabolism.

Okay, sorry for the soapbox, back to your previous show.

18. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    im just passing on what I've been reading. the studies are done on diets based on high animal protein content. and its a staggering study. done over the course of decades, with tens of thousands of animal and human subjects. and the results are overwhelming. 100 percentile results in case studies.

the thing is, cow's milk is for baby cows. a reason i guess, why they say breast feeding is so important if a mother is able to do it. and i mean, i think we all know eating steak 5 days a week is a bad idea. but thats the gist, where consuming a high animal protein content on a regular basis can help promote disease. not just cancer, but heart disease, diabetes...

and im not a vegeterian, nor is my kid. my wife actually eats eggs and fish too. but we do try to make grain, fruits and vegetables the main part of our kids diet. and us too. and if we eat meat, we try to eat organic and know where its coming from.
    these days, for a young parent, the scarier part is the vaccines! we've been torturing our doctors over this. we havent taken the typical approach. but thats for another thread i think.

19. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Thanks for the heads up SD. If you get a chance, could you send me some links via PM.
    If the numbers are that staggering, I would like to research for my own well being :yes:

20. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Have you filled out a living will yet, Chris? Just kidding. You're ok! :up:
    Posted via Mobile Device

21. anlgp

did the spit test.

mine floats :njfinfan1::cupid:

22. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    http://forums.thephins.com/showthread.php?t=37078

here is a summation and link to the book's site. like i said, its a book. you may or may not feel like picking it up.

23. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    i passed the spit test..woo hoo!!!

24. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    OK.... I posted your answer on a new thread in the Health section. ;)

25. G1nseng

G1nseng New Member

Nov 19, 2009
    make sure to have your post-workout protein, its helped me tons with development... took me forever to learn about it lol but golden hour is my favorite time of the day, my shakes taste so good

26. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ

OK. I'm not sure where to start with this. It sounds like you don't have a problem with motivation to get to the gym. That is excellent! But I would change up what you do drastically!

Basically you are where I was a while ago. I wanted to get from 16% bf to around 10 or so. And I didn't have the best diet ither. I had to change that.

Quit lifting 30lb bench presses 50x, that is doing you no good whatsoever! Chicks do that kinda stuff. Lift Heavy! I can't say that enough.

Also, be careful. That much cardio will make you lose weight, just make sure you aren't loosing muscle as well. It doesn't look like your getting enough protein.

As for your diet, it sucks. You are never going to see the results you want eating like that.

If you want to lose body fat/tone up/lean out, you need to cut. Lift heavy and reduce your maintenance caloric intake by about 500. Take at least your lean body mass in protein a day, and get your healthy fats. Fill in carbs to meet your macros. pm me if you want. good luck!

27. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ

Yes. Warm up, and then lift. Do your cardio, whether LISS or HIT afterwards.

Lift Heavy!!!!

Whey protein is key after your workouts. It digests quickly unlike steaks, turkey etc. which need to be broken down. It is fast protein. But like Boik is sayin, it is a supplement. Never displace lean meats.

Broccoli, Spinach, all those green veggies are great.

Oatmeal is good for you. In the morning mix a cup of oatmeal into your protein shake. And have a banana. Your money.

28. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    :pity:

Otherwise I agree with this post.

29. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    Not sure what you are saying here but please get your kids vaccinated if you haven't already.

Actually did a decent amount of research on vaccines being linked to things like autism. Overall very sketchy science in the articles.

There may be some type of correlation, but there is a much higher correlation to getting the diseases vaccines are used to prevent, and long term effects. It is in much better interest to get them.

30. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    sure there's no proof or data yet. how could there be, as we're in the midst of the issue? but all you have to do is open your eyes, and see how many more kids are diagnosed with autism and similar issues (asperges, etc.)

i think the risks of terrible, life changing side effects for a vaccine for things like measles, mumps, rubella, or chicken pox is hardly worth the risk. there is so much cronyism in the medical field, but the fact is...these vaccines are now 3 and 4 generations in the parent, and they are having different effects on kids of this generation. and no one is sure whats going on. but something IS going on.

"they" thought thalidomide was perfectly safe too. but the fact is, "they" have no idea.

so when they want to pump my kid full of 5 vaccines at once, i say no, you'll do 1, and i'll see you in 2 or 3 months.

ToddsPhins and JimToss like this.
  31. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware

I was just having this exact discussion about autism a couple of days ago. No one can be sure if the number of cases of autism is increasing or not. It is certainly a fact that the number of diagnosed cases is increasing. This may be a product of the more diagnosis of the "Autism Spectrum" that is now being employed.

I personally don't believe in the amount of things humans are pumping into thier bodies these days. I'm personally most concerned with the agricultural "enhancements" which are being applied.

I have read about the vaccines, and as long as your child is getting them. However, from what I have read many are linking the studies to the heavy metals used for preservation and complexation in the vaccines. So isn't doing individual shots actually introducing more of these heavy metals? Thats not a critique, I am generally not sure of the answer.

Finally I just want to say that you have to actually look at the complications of the viruses the shots are protecting against.
    Something as simple as chicken pox still kills 100 out of every 4 million cases. I see this as more statistical significance than any of the studies I have seen.
    Not to mention the protential dangers of the drugs in which someone may be put on to combat some of the viruses.

It certainly is about weighing your odds but I throughly believe they are greatly in vaccines favor.

32. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ

without going into to many personal details, I have witnessed children who have returned home from their vaccines, permanently changed...and falling into the Autistic Spectrum immediately after. And thats all the evidence I really needed to see. For whatever reason, they returned from the doctors, a changed child.

I don't think the metals used is as heavy an issue. Im not for every vaccine the medical community tries to force down your throat. And in choosing to vaccinate, we take the road where the least amount of foreign bodies are pumped into our child as possible. that same amount of harmful metals will be put into a child, one way or the other. id rather expose them to as little as possible over time, rather than overloading them in a few big exposures.

in a case where 100 out of 4 million kids die from chicken pox, you also have to look at the circumstances surrounding those children/adults. I had chicken pox as a kid, and its very easy to treat.

spreading out the vaccines, choosing which ones to discard, and a healthy diet is all important for a child imo.
    my wife is a teacher at a regional school, exposed to hundreds of kids a day. i frequent a gym and a large office building. my point, no two parents are exposed to more germs than us, and through 2 and a half years, our kid has barely had so much as a runny nose(knock wood).

a lack of proper diet, and overloading vaccines can wreak havoc on a child's little body. and there are some doctors who agree with me, and some who do not. but the commonality among those parents(that I have spoken to) who go the vaccine route i go, is that their kids are smart, healthy, and rarely if ever sick.

ToddsPhins and JimToss like this.
  33. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    How many eggs should someone eat in a week without it being too much?

34. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    you can eat all the egg whites you want. buy em in the container, or get a yolk strainer. it has none of the cholesterol, and tons of protein...though it doesnt taste that great. you will tire of eating them, before it becomes "too much"

i think 3 regular eggs(with yolk) has a very high% of your daily cholesterol. you dont want to eat eggs with yolk on any sort of regular, high volume, basis.

35. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    i can separate the yolks myself. what if i do 3 eggs with one yolk daily? thats 21 whites per week, and only 7 yolks.

36. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    yeah, my new diet I've been trying to do something similar, but more like 6 or 7 egg whites, with 1 yolk everyday or a yolk every other day.

GISH likes this.
  37. Fishweiser

Fishweiser New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Hey todd, I failed the spit test....

Im also taking red yeast rice as a supplement (not by docters orders, just saw online that it might help). I had really high triglycerides and low good cholesterol. My tris were so high that they couldn't even read my bad cholesterol levels.

I will quit this supplement and hopefully that will solve it, but if it doesnt, what other steps can I take to bring yeast levels to normal? is there any good supplements for this if its a problem? I saw that maybe a good probiotic complex may help. what are your thoughts?

38. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    http://forums.thephins.com/showthread.php?t=39992

read it all.:up:

39. anlgp

sleep is usually a pretty damn good thing too.

running on fumes

40. Fishweiser

Fishweiser New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Thanks seth!!