1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Knocks Episode 3

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Stitches, Aug 21, 2012.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    "So there was this big Samoan with a paintbrush-...Never mind just get the bolt cutters."

Bpk likes this.
  2. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

This has me trying to picture you. Your tastes. What you like to read. The records you listen to. Radio serials you enjoy listening to. Etc.

Are you sure Egnew doesn;t get in more trouble than the Katzenjammer kids? :)

Ronnie Bass likes this.
  3. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    The Dolphins are allowed to say what airs and what doesn't air, I believe.

4. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    I don't think so man.

finyank13 and Bpk like this.
  5. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    To me the biggest development in this show was clearly and far and away the "leadership" meeting among Bush, Long, Dansby, and Philbin. My belief is that player leaders who buy into the head coach's philosophy and approach and convey it to the rest of the team, thereby creating a team "culture," is the key ingredient in winning at this level, and what we see here is the very early development of all that, not even three games into the preseason.

I'd venture to say some teams NEVER develop that, and Philbin has it going on already. That's huge.

What's also so promising about it is that with a rookie QB starting, we have leaders in key spots -- middle linebacker, who is obviously a leader of the entire defense, running back, who a rookie QB desperately needs to take the pressure off of him, and offensive line, which the QB obviously needs for protection to be productive.

So now when Tannehill makes a mistake, which of course he will, the team has the structure to bounce back from it by virtue of player leadership at positions that can compensate -- defense, the run game, and the O line. Huge, just huge.

My feelings about this team's potential this year just changed considerably. I'd venture to say that what we saw on this show tonight could be responsible for several wins in itself.

The Rev, SICK, Paul 13 and 4 others like this.
  6. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I think they are if they consider it to be delicate info they don't want shown. Otherwise you're correct.

7. Bpk

Well, to be honest this is where Even-Keel Joe is good. Sometimes his steady emotional (or lack of emotional) state can come across as him being awkward with people, but I think he tries VERY hard (as he told Chad, I think) not to be emotionally reactive. That's very good in a leadert when others ARE being emotionally reactive.

He will almost certainly be the calm in the storm. That means, though, we'll need leaders on the team to fire the troops up as I doubt that'll be Even-Keel Joe's strength.

thisperishedmin and Califin like this.
  8. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    But you would need that even on a team with a very fiery and emotionally demonstrative coach. One coach is never going to get through to 53 men with various personalities or even 22 starters IMO, no matter what his temperament -- he's always going to need intermediaries among the players to do that.

You heard it yourself in the show tonight when one player said that when teammates talk to each other, it resonates.

9. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

They have that right. They could end the show right now. Coach Philbin doesn't seem to care based on his comments today.

10. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    as always, everyone has done a great job saying things that i have thought therfore there is no input that i can say that hasnt already said.. except this: throughout these HK episodes several coaches and jeff ireland have stated the obvious about our WR situation. the problem is, will this issue be addressed or just talked about? hopefully the cut to 75 and 53 will allow us to get a diamond in the rough. either way, i think our next first round pick has to be the best available WR. i can't argue with the picks/positions that our previous 1st round picks have been used on, but next year is the time to hopefully solve this problem in the draft, as well as going after the best available free agent WR's.

11. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Pretty sure the beat writers have tweeted that multiple times. Could all depend on situation though.

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I believe so, he is the coach of the team, if he doesn't want something to air, he can tell them to fu&$ off.

13. Bpk

Totally agree. I think the staff have been waiting and hoping one of the many 5's 6's or 7's would seize the chance to emerge as a great player. But it hasn;t happened.

Our options, as you say, are limited until the next draft and free agency.

RickyNeverInhaled likes this.
  14. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I think Matthews has a shot.

15. Bpk

There's no way HBO signs on to do a show an relies on a football coach's discretion as to what drama they can and cannot use. The Dolphins themselves said they do not have first screening, final cut or veto, I believe. They decided to trust HBO's reputation along with NFL films.

I like that Philbin is willing to be transparent. What's to fear from the truth? If anything Jeff Ireland will be the one who looks like a jerk. lol.

16. Bpk

Let's be realistic. He has a shot to be a decent player, not #1 WR this year. Perhaps by year three? Even then, he doesn;t really have the measurables, I don't think.

17. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    No No meister she said minute not hour come on now.

18. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Right, I meant down the road, but I do think you could see him getting regular playing time by the end of the season and think that by next year he'll be very good. Mark Clayton broke into the league in a similar manner.

Bpk likes this.
  19. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    There are circumstances that protect the team and it's players, like I said I bet there were more revealing reasons Joengave as to why Chad was cut...but he would lose league wide respect for bus rolling his career on HBO like that.

20. Bpk

Would love to see the contract the teams sign.

21. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I don't think Philbin has even watched the show... I really think they are trusting HBO/NFL Films because of their experience. I really don't blame them... they have a reputation to uphold.

Bpk likes this.
  22. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    This is not a handshake deal, they tape everything!! It's monitored...no way a team agrees to do it without guidelines. The NFL is serious buisness and wouldn't leave it in the hands of outsiders.

finyank13 likes this.
  23. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    here's to hoping the next mark clayton shows up! i would hate to see the vegas odds of that happening, but hopefully it does!

24. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    You might be giving Philbin too much credit.

I see sort of a ground-up phenomenon going on where it concerns that little "leadership council".

First off, I think Karlos Dansby was dragged into it. I think he has the respect of the players around him but he still doesn't know how to be a leader. We can forgive him, he was on the Cardinals for the first part of his career. Then he came to the Dolphins at a time when Jake Long flat out admitted the players never did a good job policing themselves or leading each other. Karlos' heart is in the right spot but his head isn't and I think it was all Reggie Bush's and Jake Long's idea to have this meeting with Joe Philbin. Specifically Reggie Bush's idea, and it's not a coincidence he was the man to approach Philbin.

Where did Reggie Bush come from? New Orleans. Who did he learn that from? Drew Brees.

As for Jake Long the thing that I found interesting was him talking in an interview about how he was always a very outspoken, vocal leader at Michigan...but then he got to the Dolphins and he shut up because he was the young guy. And he stayed shut up for three and a half freaking years for some reason. Finally he started to get the point that he's one of the very best in the league, he's not a rookie anymore, and it's time to grab the bull by the horns. Only thing is, when did that happen? Ask him, and it actually happened last year while Tony Sparano was still there.

So overall, I don't think you can attribute this leadership council thing to Joe Philbin so much as the presence of special players with experience and willingness stepping into those leadership roles. I think there is still a leadership void on defense, to be honest. I don't think Karlos Dansby is cutting the mustard as a leader and I'm not just talking about his casually coming in 26 lbs over weight last year. He's a likeable guy and he's the highest paid guy over there but his instincts are poor for pulling off true leadership. The best hopes for leadership on that side of the ball are Jared Odrick (once he gets over this youthful prankster phase) and Sean Smith (if he actually becomes a good football player). I don't have a feel for Richard Marshall yet, to be fair. Pleasantly surprised with Paul Soliai's maturity but he's still too laid back by nature to fill any leadership voids.

Mile High Fin, SICK, FinNasty and 5 others like this.
  25. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    if i was on a computer i would give u fist pumps. why isn't that available on the mobile version?

Bpk likes this.
  26. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    I know 90% of my post lately have been on the phone it sucks not having the fist pump option on it.

RickyNeverInhaled likes this.
  27. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    i totally agree with everything you said but philbin deserves a pat on the back for realizing it was a great idea and allowing it to happen.

ckparrothead and Bpk like this.
  28. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I think you want these things to develop from the ground up. You want the players to "own" their leadership positions, not be "assigned" to them.

All you need from the head coach is the accessibility and the creation of an atmosphere in which that kind of player leadership can develop, and the fact that it's developing so soon into Philbin's tenure is proof that those elements exist on this team IMO.

The jury may be out on how great a leader Karlos Dansby is, but if he has the respect and the following of his teammates, and he backs that up by making plays and leading by example, his voice will be heard.

The other two leaders (Bush and Long) have the respect of their teammates based on their play, their tenure in the league, and their hard work.

There is nothing amiss here IMO.

smahtaz and Killer Bees like this.
  29. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Philbin deserves a pat on the back as well for creating the kind of atmosphere in which players felt comfortable approaching him in that way. I suspect that was generated at least in part by the talk he gave to the team at the beginning of the show in which he invited that kind of thing. Not all coaches would do that. Some would create more of an authoritarian environment in which players weren't invited to express themselves to the head coach. Some coaches would've reacted to the Karlos Dansby/Sid Rosenberg interview by essentially telling the team to shut up and do their jobs. Not Philbin -- he invited player expression, and that's what he got, and he got the development of leadership out of it. What a reward.

Fin D and RickyNeverInhaled like this.
  30. Bpk

TOTALLY agree, top to bottom. I think Reggie Bush immediately saw that this could lead to a rift and proactively healed it. On the defensive side we lack a leader. YBell had guys' respect. Someone on the D needs to earn that now and be vocal.

31. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    wow i figured out how to do it and i gave u fist pumps for inspiring me to look for a solution. scroll down and click on default style. i finally get to see peoples pics and sigs and rep power and forum stats and fist pumps!!! but its not very user friendly and requires alot of scrolling down to see posts because all that other good stuff is in the way. lol

xphinfanx likes this.
  32. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I think what you'll see now is Dansby's learning the finer elements of leadership from Bush and applying them to his teammates on defense.

Remember that Dansby's interview with Rosenberg reflected "leadership" as well (i.e., sticking up for teammates) -- just misplaced externally. I suspect his including himself in the meeting with Philbin et al., and his agreement with the overall discussion as it went, reflects his willingness to keep things internal in the future and polish up his leadership a bit.

However, the feather in the cap goes back to Philbin on this, IMO, because he reacted to the Sid Rosenberg issue by talking to the entire team and inviting guys to talk with him personally, not by shutting down everybody's voice completely.

Also, the fact that Philbin met with Dansby as part of the group and, rather than coming down on him for the Rosenberg thing, included him in the future "council" speaks volumes about how Philbin empathizes with how these players can (dys)function at times and is willing to create the kind of atmosphere in which they can have just as much of a voice, but one that results in the betterment of the team.

A less sophisticated head coach might have been so hellbent on "punishing" Dansby that he missed the opportunity to create a leader who had his back.

smahtaz, Fin D and Bpk like this.
  33. Bpk

on my iphone I tap the post and it lets my do a "Thanks"... which is fist bump. But that's cool... the posted acknowledgement's better. have a good night dude.

34. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Thing is , you can borrow for a long long time ...

35. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

What have you been able to see though other than 2 preseason games? I've seen only those myself, plus HK, and read the practice reports from the media hacks. I'd guess it has been the same with you and most of us here. I didn't see anything on the field in those two games that says to me, Moore cannot help us. Philbin told him to his face that with him the Dolphins had the best #2 in the league. Unless it was a blatant lie, which I would not expect from Philbin, that is pretty high praise for someone in danger of being cut or traded for a low round draft pick.

36. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Really?

A leadership council..seriously?

Fellas, the Dolphins do not need a "leadership council" we need some firebrands..guys who go all out, not some chatting.

Sometimes I suspect that the nature of the game, violence+athleticism+scheme is lost in a cloud of feelings and the way IBM does things.

That approach does not work, as someone's sig line quoting Cam Wake says:

"I do not care about the guy line up across from me, I do not care what they are going through, I do not care about their personal problems, I'm there to beat them"

Paraphrase of course..spirit is 100% correct..we lack that..

Pandarilla likes this.
  37. MrClean

Maybe a little like Jeff Daniels?

Bpk likes this.
  38. MrClean

‎"It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror... Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies!"

djphinfan likes this.
  39. MrClean

We here at headquarters of MrClean Inc always aim to please>>>>>>>>>>>> :up:

40. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I know right, what's next? drum circles?

padre31 likes this.