1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Anyone Ever Started A Garden? (Vegetables Mostly)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Alex44, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Before anyone starts with the man-card crap....yes I care about the Earth and enjoy nature. Sue me. :lol:

Just wondering if anyone has even successfully started their own backyard garden. Especially in South Florida but other places as well. If so what is the easiest way to get started? Which vegetables are good for someone with a decent but slightly limited amount of space? What mistakes did you make that I could avoid?

I've done some research but most sites seem geared towards people with SOME experience. I have none. I'd also like to grow some herbs but that seems a lot easier.

2. Yellow Snowman

Yellow Snowman New Member

Feb 27, 2012
    I started a Beer Garden. Built my own badass Kegerator and fully stocked fridge with frosted mug in the freezer.

Alex44 likes this.
  3. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    There is nothing wrong with a man growing vegetables. I'm thinking about doing that in the spring here in Maryland. A lot of my family in Florida grow and have grown vegetables down there. Some things I know they've grown well are okra, tomatoes, cucumbers, peas, various peppers, and squash. Granted this is north Florida but I wouldn't think there would be a huge difference.

Alex44 likes this.
  4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We do this all of the time A44, usually your local county govt has a webpage or the state dept of ag has guide for whatever area you are in.

Herbs are very easy to grow, and you can use them in oil to make an herb infused oil.

SFlorida should support just about anything, from Strawberries to Asparagus, my one caution is you are probably better off growing more expensive veggies rather than stuff like potatoes or what have you. Watch out for insects especially down there.

IMO it's a lot of fun and a good excuse to drink a couple of beers and hang out in the sunshine.

Fin D and Alex44 like this.
  5. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    ^^^^nothing wrong with this. It's a cheap alternative to expensive produce.

Good starter plants are tomato plants. Grow them in 5 gallon buckets on your deck/porch. Fill the buckets with potting soil, plant your seeds and fertilize as necessary. To keep critters out, put chicken wire or something similar in the opening of the bucket and have it extend vertically a foot or so.

If you find that managing those are easy, then step up. Start a small garden in the ground, but be ready to work it daily.

Alex44 likes this.
  6. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Thanks for the input so far to everyone.

Also special thanks to Padre. By Googling the Dept. Of Agriculture (which I wouldn't have thought to do for a while) I came across a PDF file by the University Of Florida that has a lot of information about what grows best in Miami-Dade (Im Broward but close enough) and what issues one may encounter.

Any other input is still greatly appreciated as well.

7. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    an added note. in many places in Florida, the soil is total crap (too sandy). You're much better off building a raised bed. very easy to do. buy some cheap topsoil and you'll get much better vegies out of it. also consider some cheap tarp to keep some of the moisture in since it gets so hot down there.

if you've got some extra money, I used to use those earthboxes - reservoir systems - when I lived in Atlanta. I had trouble growing in the ground because of the heat. the earthboxes grew so many veggies I had to throw many of them out. Had a tomato bush that grew about 4 feet high and 5 feet across.

Alex44, ToddPhin and Fin D like this.
  8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Back in high school I had a small garden in my closet...

9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That Asian boy's name was Garden?

10. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    FinD has a cucumber garden.... but he never eats 'em. :headscratch:

Alex44 and MikeHoncho like this.
  11. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    This is an important point.
    Don't start any garden if you think you might not have enough time to give it all the attention it needs considering you won't be working with an established root system.

Herbs are easy. I'm a fan of basil, rosemary, and oregano, but basil & oregano require some extra attention to grow 'em up well and keep 'em growing, so you'll have to study up on those two. It's significantly more cost effective to pay a few bucks for a basil plant, grow it up, and pick off it whenever needed.

Actually, I found most of it to be easy provided you follow the care instructions (how much watering & sun exposure needed, etc) and can stay consistent with it. If you can successfully follow a recipe for baking a cake, you should be ok with growing a small garden. IMO, being a successful gardener goes a long way when you feel a sense of pride in doing it, as well as treating the plants as if they're living creatures whose lives you're responsible for. Just make sure it's something you'd enjoy doing rather than treating it as though it's a chore.

Alex44 likes this.
  12. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    works a lot better when you have your own basement and move to a state that doesn't care

Alex44 and MikeHoncho like this.
  13. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    .... or own a second home in Mexico and are on a first name basis with the custom's agent. :shifty:

Alex44 likes this.
  14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Oddly enough I have a Greek Oregano plant that is nearly impossible to kill.

Quick tip though, water at night, not in the morning, especially in a hot climate.

As for excess veggies, those can be pickled, or traded off, or turned into soups etc.

Alex44 and ToddPhin like this.
  15. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Regarding the oregano, I meant the maintenance stuff like ensuring they're cut back to keep them bushy and better tasting, as well as pinching off the flowers to keep the leaves growing abundantly.

I water at night when it's hot out as well. That's a good tip.

Alex44 likes this.
  16. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Definitely going with a raised bed. My issue now has been finding a good quality soil. There have been a few online I really liked but shipping prices are ridiculous. Then in stores you have Miracle Gro which I refuse to use because Monsanto/Scotts are like....the most evil companies on Earth :lol:

17. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    If you have the space, make your own compost. My parents live in the country and that's what they do. They have gotten some giant vegetables as a result.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Alex44 likes this.
  18. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    How do u confse Gao with Garden?

19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, potting soil, even the generic stuff and you just mix in organic waste from your home:

-Coffee grinds
    -egg shells
    -veggie left overs

And then just work them into the soil, the rain will break that stuff down and enrich your soil, a good tip is buy some fishing worms and add those and banana peels to your raised bed, that makes for a very very rich soil in a small space.

If your into it check out how the French use potagers:

http://www.frenchgardening.com/aupotager.html?pid=3104884985285027

worms in your soil:

http://www.gardenstew.com/blog/e3-17-earthworms-in-the-garden--earthworm-facts.html

Alex44 likes this.
  20. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    How important is proper soil PH? For anyone that knows.

21. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    :yes:

22. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'd recommend pooping on the tomato plants once/week give or take a day depending on the size of your last meal.

Alex44 likes this.
  23. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    [video=youtube;IaXrQNYGN4Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaXrQNYGN4Q[/video]

ToddPhin likes this.
  24. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Exactly, my grandmother turned sandy soil into great soil by years of burying organic waste. But, if you have a dog, they may dig it up, which is why I don't do it

25. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The importance of PH will depend on what you're growing. Some plants have a broader range of tolerances than others. Just search online with the name of what you're growing and PH and you should find out if it'll be an issue for you. I live in a different area, but the only time it mattered for me was when I had pine trees, whose needles raise the ph. I just looked for high ph loving produce for that area. I'm late to this thread, but my main point would have echoed Padre's. You find out what grows best in your area and your odds of success go up exponentially.

Alex44 likes this.
  26. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Farmers almanac is a good source for many things including when to plant. Very handy little yellow book.

27. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I wish we had a bigger yard, we'd be all over growing our own veggies and fruits. We have one of those hanging tomato plants. Thing is kicking out tons of tomatoes.. This is the true organic way. The organic **** we buy in the stores here is labeled from Guatamela and Mexico... yeah i'm sure they just grow the stuff naturally... mm hmm... I totally want an avocado tree or several.

28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Poor ph leads to plants that are stunted in Fl this can be a problem, great climate but poor soils sometimes

I container garden, this summer had those aphids all over my tomato plants and did not want to use insecticide

So, found the local wasp nest and put the containers underneath it..about a week the aphids were strangely missing.

29. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Personally I don't put meat products in my pots as they just are not worth it to me

Egg shells, the leftovers from seafood like crab leg husks, coffee grinds, veggie peels (even if you make stock with them).

I've heard great great things about adding worms into the mix tho, have not tried it, use them up when I fresh water fish..:lol:

30. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    wasn't referring to meat. my three dogs will eat anything that smells like food and is buried.
    as far as worms, I've definitely found the best soils I've grown in have the most worms. land I have up here in Mass is the best I've ever seen.

31. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    True, midwest is probably great as well

BUT the South has 3-4 growing season, if one is into it you can literally plant in February and harvest up until Nov/December

As for the doggies..bad dog! bad!

:lol:

Sidelight is my Grandmother retired to Florida in the late 60's to an old citrus grove, so we always had that available, hated grapefruit then but enjoy it now

32. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    mods can we move this thread to the women's work forum. K thanks.

33. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Lucky did you have to look in your manpurse to find your smartphone to post that?

34. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    are you calling smart phones feminine?

35. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    When stored in Murse..yep

36. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007