1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Ted Ginn Lived Up to a Top Ten Pick So Far?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Rhody Phins Fan, Feb 24, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I often see people saying that Ted Ginn hasn't performed like a wide receiver chosen in the top ten should so I looked back at all of the wide receivers drafted in the top ten since 2000. In that time 15 wide receivers were chosen in the top then. Here are their #'s from their first three seasons:
    Taking into account all of these receivers, their average first season was 37 catches for 493 yards which was slightly over what Ginn did. In their second season they averaged 48 catches for 671 yards which Ginn surpassed in his second season. In their third year they averaged 52 for 725 which Ginn should be able to surpass as well.

If you eliminate the Top 5 picks from consideration the 1st year average drops to 31-413 and the 2nd season average drops to 40-577.

Any way that you cut it, Ted Ginn has, at the very least, provided the statistics of an average top ten drafted WR and has already passed by the average wide receiver chosen between picks 6-10.

Please stop saying that Ted Ginn hasn't performed like a WR drafted in the Top 10 because he has. He may not have lived up to your expectations but he has lived up to recent historical expectations.

2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Classic case of impatient fans who fail to realize that WR takes time to develop. And thus far Ginn has developed nicely.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  3. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    100% true. WR always takes a few years to develop. There are few exceptions. This year or next should be him time. I'm leaning more to really solid numbers this year and a breakout year next.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  4. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    I don't want to agree with you but I can't argue with the facts you presented, good post :up:

Phinz420 likes this.
  5. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Let me ask you this, who would you rather have, Ted Ginn or?

Calvin Johnson (No brainer but gone before our pick)
    Dwayne Bowe
    Anthony Gonzalez
    Steve Breaston

Now I know I'm going to get the I hate Ginn stuff, and I don't. I just don't think he will ever live up to being the # 9 pick. Its not his fault he was drafted there. I think he will be a good WR, I don't think he will ever be an All-Pro. I do think he can have a good career here.

If You look at last years draft, you see these guys that came out (I included our FA pick up)

Eddie Royal (2nd round)
    DeSean Jackson (2nd Round)
    Donnie Avery (2nd round)
    Davone Bess

I still think we would have been better served drafting any of the following (All of which was talked about as potential picks) and drafting a WR last year.

Amobi Okoye (Who granted has not been great)
    Patrick Willis
    Adam Carriker
    Darrelle Revis
    Lawrence Timmons

Its just my opinion, but that's how I would have went, and its not second guessing because Ginn wasn't even on my radar with the # 9 pick. I thought for sure it was going to be Quinn (whom I didn't want either).

Only time will tell, but I honestly feel the Ginn pick was a mistake. I do agree he took a step forward this past year, I think this year is a make or break season for him here. I hope he steps up and has an All-Pro season and I will admit I was wrong.:up:

The Aqua Crush likes this.
  6. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I think Jason Allen was a much bigger first round mistake then Ginn. I think only time will tell whether these were smart picks. Hopefully both of these guys will stick around and get better.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  7. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    People have to realize that a receiver's development is tempered by who and what kind of quarterback is throwing him the ball and if they have a strong enough arm to lead him with the long ball to utilize his speed. This past year was the first year for him in the Pro's where he had a decent QB throwing him the ball even though Pennington is not known for his strong arm, Pennington is smart enough to know how to better utilize Ginn.
    I have to admit I was disappointed in Ginn's selection but I still know he is fast and can catch the ball and if he ever has a QB who can air it out and let him outrun his coverage he will be a bigger threat. But this is JMO.

8. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University

I dont think ANYONE can question that!

9. Rhody Phins Fan

Jan 14, 2009
    I honestly would take Ginn over Bowe, Breaston, and Gonzalez. Bowe may have the big numbers but this is due to him getting thrown to a ton of times since him and Gonzalez are the only options in the passing game. Bowe was thrown to 64 more times than Ginn but only had 232 more yards. His catch percentage was lower and he also lead the league in drops. Bowe averaged 6.5 yards per pass thrown to him while Ginn averaged 8.5 yards.

Ginn is better than Gonzalez and even put up better numbers this season and I view Breaston as a product, at least right now, of Boldin and Fitzgerald.

If Ginn was forced the ball like Bowe I have no doubt in my mind that he would have gone over 1100 yards.

HardKoreXXX and Ducken like this.
  10. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think the other consideration is that most of the WRs that have broken out early tend to be big-bodied types. If you look at the successful WRs that play a similar game to Ginn (Lee Evans, Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne, etc.) then you see that Ginn's production in year 2 compares very favorably to their production in year 2.

11. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Ginn and Bowe are different types of WR. I think to add to your support for who you would take it would depend on need. Ginn is more versatile, but a big Wideout on the perimeter has a certain value too.

In our situation we have lots of possession, slot, sure handed Wideouts. We don't have a big outside WR, so in terms of our need right now, i would rather bowe.

Where a team like say Detroit who has Megatron, may be better served with a player like Ginn to add a new dynamic over someone like Bowe who would really be a number two but very similar style to Calvin.

I think if we are able to acquire or develop a big reliable wideout who can get the first look from defenses it will drastically improve Ginn's opportunities and his versatility will get overlooked and that's when i think he will flourish. Just a guess but my theory on Ginn anyways.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  12. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Which is one of the big reason's I want Kenny Britt, he would help Ginn, the TE's and the running game.

Good Post

The Aqua Crush likes this.
  13. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008

So you're taking Ginn over Bowe because Bowe gets more targets, and thus, his numbers are inflated. Then you're taking Ginn over Gonzalez because his numbers are better, without mentioning the fact that Wayne, Harrison and Clark are taking targets away from Gonzalez? There seems to be a disconnect...

As for your original post, I think we all truly appreciate the effort it took to pull that information together, but I'm not sure what to make of it. Outside of Roy Williams, every other WR on that list that didn't turn out to be a complete bust (of epic proportions) turned in better numbers than Ginn during their second year. So are we supposed to be thrilled that Ginn is outpacing the likes of Peter Warrick, David Terrell and Charles Rodgers?

Forgive me if my excitement is tempered...

14. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008

Great post. That's a very interesting viewpoint that I have never considered.

rafael likes this.
  15. Rhody Phins Fan

Jan 14, 2009
    Gonzalez only had 14 less passes thrown to him than Ginn. Ginn average nearly 2.5 yards per catch more than Gonzalez. Gonzalez also benefits from the other players to draw attention away from him. I like Gonzalez but he doesn't have the physical ability that Ginn has.

You're completely right but I think Ginn outpacing the busts atleast shoes that he is ahead of the busts right now and hopefully on the right track.

16. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    For that little of production differential, you would assume the 9th pick would be far better than the 30th pick or wherever Gonzales went.

I think Gonzales will have a better year this year too without Marvin around, being a number two option to Wayne.

He may not have some traits that Ginn has, but he has other traits that IMO are better than Ginn's. I like his toughness better, his short to intermediate route running better, his ability to land in holes in defenses, and his hands too.

Ginn has better elusiveness and speed no doubt, but looking at the two of them i think were comparing two wideouts, where one is an apple and one is an orange, both fruit, both good, just different. Both have been good Wideouts, have done some good things, but neither has been a bust or set the league on fire either.

17. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Based on his numbers its hard to say that he really has. But to be completely honest the jury is still out on that for Ginn. He's only had two seasons under his belt. I really feel like this next season will tell us what kind of reciever he can be for the next 3-5 years. Its going to be a solid turning point in either direction. Im not saying he needs to put up big numbers but if he scores 4-7 recieving touchdowns and has 700-800 yards recieving than i think he has a lot of promise. If he only scores 2 again and has about 500 yards recieving than i think he is no better than a 2nd or 3rd option.

18. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think something that is often overlooked is how Ginn helps our offense in ways that can't be measured with statistics. If you take away Ginn, I really doubt Bess and Camarillo put up the numbers that they did. Without Ginn, who on our offense is going to scare a defense past ten yards? They could easily put eight in the box every play, but Ginn demands safety help on almost every play, which is a huge part of our offense in my opinion.

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN likes this.