1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has The Franchise Ever Been This Low?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I just think this is the lowliest of times for Miami.

Sure, there was the terrible season with Cameron but there was an owner with money and everyone expected wholesale changes - and there was hope. It came quickly - even though it ultimately failed there still was not despair. We could get a coach of GM that we basically wanted.

I was down pretty bad when Marino lost the SB. And the next year losing to the Pats in the AFC title game.

I remember feeling pretty low when Miami lost to the Jets 51-45 - when Marino had an insane game, throwing for over 400 yards and 6 TDs and we still lost. That was a depressing few days.

It was pretty bad when we led the Jets (yes, the Jets again) 30-7 in the 4th quarter on MNF and lost 40-37. That felt unbearable.

But, those were singular moments.

At this juncture, with GMs turning down interviews, offers, and an owner who does not grasp the NFL and seeks to saddle his GM with a coach he doesn't know and may not want and a VP/Capologist who has control over signings, etc. - wow.

I really haven't felt this bad, deflated about a sports franchise or team I've rooted for, in …. forever.

Can you think of a lower time? (Even the other moments were not as bad, to me, because the owner was not such a bumbling goofball).

2. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    nope...we're at rock bottom here.

cdz12250 and NolesNPhinsFan like this.
  3. NolePhin15

NolePhin15 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    Youre overthinking it. If whoever accepts the job becomes a good GM, this whole search fiasco is forgotten.

Stitches likes this.
  4. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    1-15 was worse. The can't hire a GM and other public perception issues are probably going to end up worse, but 1-15 is the low point as of now.

Larry Little and Fin D like this.
  5. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    No; even when we were an expansion AFL franchise, we we supposed to be bad. Now, the people around the country who aren't looking on us with pity previously reserved for the Chicago Cubs and The Cleveland Browns are laughing their asses off at us.

6. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Ross isn't good at this interview process. Just think about it...

First interviewing process was Harbaugh and that turned out embarrassing.

Following year came Jeff Fisher and he rejected more money to go to the Rams, the ****ing Rams, a team that is looking to be in the bottom of their division with powerhouses like Seattle and SF, and even Arizona on top of them.

And now this season we got the GM interviews going bad.

7. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

We look broken. And its not just this...its that dumb **** keeps happening over and over and over. I mean...does Ross even realize how bad hes making this franchise look right now. Im seriously beginning to think he is submarining his own team
    ..who does this stupid **** ?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

8. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    I know this: it's become a trend. A very real trend that even the people with homer glasses can recognize.

The Browns bungled things about as bad as they can be bungled, but they somehow lucked into a hire that a lot of people feel was actually a really good one, despite the absurd circumstances. Even the Jaguars look more stable than Miami right now. At least the Redskins were able to get their #1 choice for head coach.

There is no consolation prize for Miami here. Just the sad realization that we're stuck with this for many more years because Ross is too stubborn to bring in someone to run the team for him and too proud to sell.

Just terrible.

cdz12250, NolesNPhinsFan and SICK like this.
  9. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    we cant even give our gm job away. we're an 8-8 team and we cant GIVE our gm job away. people would rather go to a 4 win team. i have never heard of anything like this ever. we have a coach who cant coach, an owner who doesnt have a clue, and no gm whatsoever. this is pathetic.

SICK likes this.
  10. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Yes, we've been plenty lower than we are now. Come on. Yes, this absolutely sucks but there is still plenty of talent and a very promising franchise QB. We have issues in the front office obviously but it's not like we have 3-13 talent.

Stitches and gunn34 like this.
  11. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    I didn't want to say it but to me, it's obvious why Licht would rather go to the Buccs over us. Putting side the fact that their books are clean, and they got talent, plus a draft pick high enough to possibly get Bortles, you debate Lovie Smith vs Joe Philbin, and you know Lovie Smith's history in Chicago and you come away feeling that the Buccs situation is a million times more stable.

12. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    you have a point.

13. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    A new low would be if we rehired Ireland

14. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Sadly I think he's better than the remaining candidates.

SkapePhin and gunn34 like this.
  15. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Why not give Randy Mueller a call he's been doing pretty good scouting for the Chargers.

16. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Marino agreeing to become our team president and then within a week reconsidering... that was pretty low.

Puka-head likes this.
  17. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    screw that... call Josh Brent, he aint going anywhere for the next six months.

18. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    After the '88 season we wanted to trade Marino for Neal Anderson and an aging Mike Singletary.
    That was a big low.. The Bears turned down the deal.

19. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Wait, what? Is this something that seriously happened? And the Bears actually rejected that?

20. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

It's almost paper bag time.

Almost.

21. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    7-62 loss to the jaguar's for Marinos last game is by far the worst I have ever felt as a fan. Followed closely by the 81 loss to the bolts and kellen f. N. Winslow.

The two times the dolphins made me cry.

22. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    So now we are mourning the loss of Ireland? Damn that was quick lol.

Dolfan330 and MikeHoncho like this.
  23. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Fred Edelstein rumors. Apparently the guy was grand daddy of Omando Salgkelly style reporting.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

24. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    The 1-15 record or the playoff loss to the jags were on the field related. It happens to other franchises. This? This is far worse and lasting.

cdz12250 likes this.
  25. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    This is rock bottom. Everyone loses games but how many franchises have multiple people refuse to work for them?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

cdz12250 likes this.
  26. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    The Wanny years will always be the worst for me. You could actually see us getting worse every year. His drafts were the worst this franchise has ever seen. He set this team back 10 years by drafting for special teams. We had no base to set up for the future. Say what you want about Ireland, but he always drafted guys with high floors, something to build around at first.

27. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Yes, and I'll put this question out there again- does anyone remember EVER a situation in which an NFL team has had candidates walk away from a vacant GM position as we're experiencing now? I don't recall anything like this happening before.

28. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    No. This is the lowest....and it isn't even close.
    Sure, 1-15 sucked. So did the 62-7 playoff beatdown by the Jags.
    But this is different. Those were on the field one offs. This whole GM fiasco cuts to the core of the franchise. The rainbow and lollipoppers will blame the media, or whoever else they can, but this is real. This franchise and the way it is run and the people at the top are viewed as a joke around the league. And it won't changed until Ross either sells or pulls his head from his ***.

29. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    This is pretty darn low but the funny thing is is that I doubt it will have any impact on the on field product.

This just seems worse because of twitter where every moron can spout his/her opinion without any accountability.

I still don't think this is as low as the 2004 season where the grand plan to replace Wanny as GM was Spielman. And Spielman's grand plan was to trade for AJ Feeley and trade away Ogunleye. And then Ricky "retired." And then we go 4-12.

Wanny and Spielman had more to do with the 1-15 season than Cam Cam ever did.

30. SkapePhin

SkapePhin sigpicz.blogspot.com

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort Lauderdale
    No, I don't think so, and it will only get lower with this clown in charge:

[​IMG]

31. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I think it is not relevant to compare here. At point is this is a low time. The worse low time? Does that really matter. It is just a low time in the franchise. But at low times good things can happen. That is what I hope for.