1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have researchers found the cure for cancer?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rocky Raccoon, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Would be amazing if true, but if we learned anything from I am Legend we must be cautious.

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Wait a minute...

It's just an odd sentence to read right up until the word "tumors".

In, all seriousness, I really hope this becomes something successful (and affordable) moving forward.

3. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
  4. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
  5. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Don't believe the hype. In our lifetime, there will likely not be a single treatment that works for all cancers. There are approximately 200 different types of cancer, and they all have different expression levels of receptors on the cell surface. While this research is intriguing, two things to keep in mind:

1) in oncology - great results in mouse oncology models RARELY ever translate to humans
    2) every year, there's at least one profound publication that describes a vaccine or antibody that will cure cancer or HIV or flu.... so far, outside of the Merck vaccine for HPV, none of them have translated to clinical efficacy

the vast majority of companies aren't even looking for a "cure-all" anymore. they realize it's more realistic to target specific types of cancers and hope you can find something that increases survival.

Stitches likes this.
  6. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    No...if we learned anything from I Am Legend it is that movies based on great books suck and never stay true to the story.