1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hd Dvd

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Stitches, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I know the format is "dead," but I was just wondering if anyone still used or bought HD dvds here? (not sure if this should be here or the lounge)

2. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    nah man, and if you go to a Target or Walmart, you can already see the decrease in stock.

3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Interesting. Fortunately, I instead invested in an "Up-convert" player. I now have ALL my previous DVD's in Digital and havent had to spend much money in doing so. :up:

4. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Well I know, you can get them from some places for $5-$8 a piece. You can get really good deals, which is why I asked.

I was just wondering because I was wondering what people were doing in order to prepare for the chance that their player dies.

5. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Up-converting is ok, but it still isn't the same. In addition, regular dvd's don't have the HD audio tracks which is half the reason for there being a next gen format.

6. ILPhinFan88

ILPhinFan88 Premium Member Luxury Box

That's what I did also until the price of the Blu Ray goes down, and they say the second gen of the Blue Ray players are gonna be alot better and will be able to do more.

OK, I was just checking and I guess it's 4th Gen that is coming out with more features.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
    azfinfanmang likes this.
  7. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    You could gett a ps3, which accepts firmware updates and can likely be found cheaper than most other players. Also amazon has a lot of BDs for $15 or less.

8. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    The point is, my other DVD player went out and i have ohhhhhhhh probably 100 plus DVD's

No way in hell I am going to buy into ANOTHER format. I did just buy a reciever (Thread is here somewhere) that IS actually a digital Upconvert. Of course it still isnt the same as true HD, but the difference from what I had is AMAZING...and guess what; here is what I paid:

DVD-Upconvert 139.00
    Onkyo KICKASS reciever 400.00
    100+ DVD"s who cares as I have collected them over the years.. :tongue2:

I will eventually buy into BR, but probably won't be for several years. When you do get there, let me know the direction you went so as to add to my research please.

Okay, thanks Pete :hi5:

9. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX

I'm going to search for your thread. I just bought an Onkyo HT-Sr800($350ish, but I want to sell the receiver and I had a cashback deal so it was technically even less) and Onkyo XT-SR606 ($398 w/3 year extended warranty). I had like 200 dvds, but I lost 80% of them when I was robbed, and just have been able to replace them with the next gen is all.

The HD-dvd player I just bought (Toshiba HD-A30) was $70. I was going to tell people about how they could get a back-up HD player (or upconverting dvd player) if they still bought HDDVDs. That's it sir. :)

10. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    And I found your thread! How do you like the 605? Like I said, I just ordered the 606 (the newer brother of the 605) and can't wait to get it set-up. I currently am using a Philips HtiB, and I can't wait to replace it.

11. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Love the reviever. It is taking me some time to get it set up just right...but it was without a doubt THe investment to make. It does everything I could ever want. Next investment for me is a nice 5.1 speaker set up. I currently have 1 set of very nice Infinties and some crap Fisher's. Will upgrade those Fisher's and spend too much on my .1 (Powered Sub) and I should absolutely be good to go. :up:

My upconvert is also a Toshiba. Not a bad player for the price...and now I see where you were headed with this thread :hi5:

Stitches likes this.
  12. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Next thing for me will likely be tv. But the earliest that should be is one year. I still need to get a new (at least new to me) car before then in all likelihood, and maybe a ring before then too.

Whenever I do get a new tv though, I am going to get a new stand and an AV set up/tower or something lol. I have to use my current stand and a tv stand I used to keep my old 19" on in my bedroom in order to hold all the stuff I have. Mostly because the Onkyo receiver is too big for my normal tv stand, and the ps3 and 360 can't be vertical in my normal stand. So I have great airflow, but wasted space IMO.

As to my receiver, I only ordered the 606 on sunday, but it should ship by the end of tomorrow. It will still be a while before it gets here even then though. :(
    I got some of my speaker wire in today at least, so I can start setting up the speakers now. And I am still waiting on my Harmony One remote, hopefully it gets here by the end of the week. It will be great to not have to use as much as 3 remotes at a time.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  13. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    One word of warning on the Oinko reciever Pete, make sure you have PLENTY of ventilation. I had read that, and its true. It does tend to get pretty hot...

14. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I heard all about the heat issue over on the avsforums. It is just on top of my tv stand right now, so ventilation won't be an issue.

15. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Didn't you just get a TV?

16. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Correct, that won't be an issue whatsoever.

I have it in an Entertainment center. It has its own shelf and is behind closed doors. If it is on for extended time, I just open the door and all is good :up:

17. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    A year ago. It is only 720p though.. :P

18. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    I have a lot of dvds (450 and counting) so the idea of a new tech making them obsolete saddens me. At least the bd players up convert and still run dvds so it isnt like I have a ton of VHS tapes that can't be viewed on the new tech. I suppose eventually I'll get a PS3 and start the process of switching over to bd, though I doubt I'll double-dip on the discs I've already purchased.

19. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I still use the 360 add-on. Ironically, I'm spending more on HD-DVD's than I am on Blu-Ray. $30 for one Blu-Ray of an older movie would get me Batman Begins, Ultimate Matrix Collection, and The Mummy on HD-DVD after the local Best Buy started liquidating all HD-DVD titles. Plus, it adds an extra drive and 2 extra USB ports. :tongue2:

Stitches likes this.
  20. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Blu-Ray players are backwards-compatible with DVDs, and will upscale them. The PS3 is generally considered one of the best upscaling DVD players you can buy.

21. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I don't think I am spending more on HDDVDs, but I am getting more of them, lol.

22. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

Yeah, thats alright. I also have probably....ohhhh 30-40 games for the Game Cube...The Wii is backwards compatible which means...no PS3.

23. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    How do you have that many gamecube games anyways? I am seriously asking, because I never thought there was more than 15 worth having (and that might be a stretch even).

And the Wii is ok, but Desides is right about the PS3. You can find PS3's w/backwards compatibility too (though it obviously won't play GC games, lol), upconverts, etc. etc.

That's why I have both (and a 360), though really the wii is my g/f's. It just happens to reside at my house because she is here more than home.

24. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    I also have a HUGE issue spending that much money on a game-system.

I will wait till the next gen of BR comes out cheaper-much; and better-much :wink2:

Also, I bet there are just as many or more game-cube games than there are PS3 :up:

25. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Never said there weren't, I was just wondering how you had so many gamecube games, lol.

And the idea is that the ps3 is more than a game system (as is the 360). That's why each system's price is what it is, and somewhat justififed. (not trying to argue with you if it sounds that way, just merely discussing)