1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV question

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Celtkin, Jan 25, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    I have owned a Viso 32 inch HDTV for the past 5 years and have been happy with it but tonight, I noticed a defect in the screen -- perhaps a burn in, though I doubt it.

So...I shopped around and am considering a 32 inch Sony Bravia.

Any member who own a Bravia who can offer an opinion?

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    It is either Reagan or Desides (maybe both) whom are pretty familiar with Sony's IIRC.

Personally, I don't think you need to shell out for a Bravia line tv if you are only going for 32".

3. Celtkin

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    Brother -- under $600.00 for a new 32" Bravia. Not worth it?

4. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'm not sure the going rate for 32" LCD's, so i can't comment. Sorry.

If you want a DLP I could help you. :lol:

5. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Use the Q&A forum. :tongue2:

6. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Celt, you have the model number of the $600 one?

7. PeaTearGriffin

PeaTearGriffin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 8, 2007
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

i use this site any time im buying a tv. if you know the model number they usually have a thread about that tv. and the people on there usually can tell you the problems the tv has.

vmarcilfan75, anlgp and Celtkin like this.
  8. TJamesW_Phinfan

TJamesW_Phinfan New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I have 2 Bravias a 37 and 46. I also have a Sharp Aquos 37. The 2 Sony especially the newer latest generation 37 have better images on all types of content. The Aquos is good but the bravias are better. I am very happy and impressed with my Bravias.

Celtkin likes this.
  9. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    It really depends which specific model you're buying and what you're using it for. Sony's stuff is generally good, especially their model lines from the XBR8 and newer, but Samsung's products are almost as good and a bit cheaper. It comes down to your budget and what you want to do with the set.

Celtkin likes this.
  10. Celtkin

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    The model # is KDL-32S3000

11. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The KDL line isn't bad, but it's a little bit older: it's been supplanted by the XBR series.

If all you're going to do with the set is watch TV, then the KDL is perfectly fine. If you're going to watch Blu-Ray movies or play games, then you'll want to look into the XBR line, specifically this 32'' XBR6.

cnc66 and Celtkin like this.
  12. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Why not go 37" or 40"? Prices have been dropping Celt...

Celtkin likes this.
  13. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Samsung is considered to be the best for HD TV's. If I were you I would go to Circuit City and take advantage of their liquidation sale.

PMZQ and Celtkin like this.
  14. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Check out Sears for all your HDTV needs. They will price match any store or online price. Also, if it goes on sale within a month after purchase you can bring your receipt back and get some cash.

As far as Sony, we got a 55'' Sony rear projection LCD about a year ago for about $725, and it's got a beautiful picture despite being an older model HDTV. I'm sure the Bravia is fine, but I'd shop for a deal and get a bigger one. It's like buying a soda. If you can get the large for only a few cents more, why not? Right now retailers have amazing deals on TVs.

Celtkin likes this.
  15. Celtkin

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    I got a great deal on this set. It was $300 less expensive than the next lowest price and I am am kind of limited where I put the set. Right now, my 37" HDTV takes up all the space I can allot so I need to stick with that size for now.

16. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    If you are going to buy any TV you should go to Circut City. They will be cutting prices. I went to one close to me they had the Sony Bravia. They are dealing tv's.

17. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Sears will match any Circuit City price and they have a better shot of being around a year from now if you have any problems with the TV.

18. Kanye West

Mar 23, 2008
    The warranties are through the tv manufacturers. So if Celtkin gets a Sony the warranty will be through them.

19. Kanye West

Mar 23, 2008
    You could probably get below the sticker price if you hagale with them.

20. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Still doesn't explain why it wouldn't be a better idea to get a TV at a store that will match any price. Unless Circuit City does price matching too, I'm not sure.

Another thing is that some of these stores offer service plans on the TVs. Most of the time these plans don't make sense for electronics, but for high end TVs where any problem almost always ends up costing 2/3 the original price of the TV to fix, extended warranties through the store aren't always a bad idea. In that case, you would want to purchase the TV from a store that is going to be around for awhile. Although Sears could be in trouble too...

Basically it makes the most sense to shop around. Find the best deal. Nobody should narrow their search to one retailer, and if they do, make sure they price match.

21. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    This is not true. The KDL series and the XBRs coexist. The XBRs are higher end, with the KDL's being lower on the scale. What is true however, is the particular model Celt is looking at is an older one. They have some brand new models coming up really soon as well.

As for Samsung vs. Sony, Sony was the undisputed leader when it came to LCD's, but they're pretty close now. I went through months of research and viewing, and decided on a LN52A750 Sammy, but the Sony's were right there, I couldn't decide.

At 32", your TV should be just fine. Black levels are what I look for plus color fidelity (some would like a color "pop" but that's preference).

Celtkin likes this.
  22. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The XBR line is relatively new. The KDL line used to occupy the entire range; now it's about as close to entry-level as Sony gets. That's a pretty clear repositioning, IMO.

Pretty much correct. I think Samsung's panels are slightly better than Sony's, but Sony's TVs generally have more features. My LN32A550 can't do 24p mode, for example.

No need to worry about that with the XBR line, assuming proper calibration.

23. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    KDL and XBR have coexisted for years, I'm not sure what you mean unless you are talking about specific models.

24. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    My Bravia is of the 46" XBR line which is a bit different from the one Celt put. But I've seen the KDL lines and they're still good in terms of quality. The avsforum is a great resource. I have an account there as well (different username).

Frankly, as Desides said, if you want the best, go with the XBR 32". If price is an issue, then the KDL will still suit you well although it is only 720p. I'd try to find one that's at least 1080p from either of the 3 S's, Sony, Samsung, or Sharp. $600 got a 720p 32" Sony is about slightly less than market value, not exactly a big bargain. It would be if it were 1080p.

As for KDL and XBR, they have co-existed for a brief time but before the KDL line was considered the top. Currently, it's the mid-to-entry range.

And then with regards to Sears vs. CC, well, Sears's forecast isn't looking too bright either and you'll be relying on manufacturer warranties anyways.

Celtkin likes this.
  25. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    i got dizzy reading that forum.

does anyone think a calibration DVD is worth it?

26. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I know most people suggest a calibration disk (dvd, blu-ray, or hd-dvd) if you can't afford a professional coming out and doing it for you. I am hoping to bring a professional out by the end of the year, if I close on this house and pay all my other stuff off and get moved in completely.

maynard likes this.
  27. GoPhins!

GoPhins! Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 29, 2007
    Winter Garden, FL
    Ok, this is a hijack attempt.

I'm interested in recommendations for a 50 inch LCD or Plasma TV. Here is the room and viewing criteria. The room is medium bright but never gets very bright. 60% of the TV watching is from directly in front but the other 40% is from my computer desk which is at about a 75 to 80 degree angle in an adjoining room. And the viewing will be varied (sd broadcast tv, blueray movies, and of course HD football).

This has me leaning towards a plasma tv but if you don't think that is correct please let me know why. I've been looking at the Samsung PN50A650 (about $1500 to $1600 http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2330285,00.asp ) and the Vizio VP505XVT (about $1300 http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2339098,00.asp ). The Vizio is PC Mag Editors Choice.

The cheaper the better because I will also need to purchase a blueray player (PS3) and a HD TIVO.

If anyone has any comments I would appreciate it. I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks!

Celtkin likes this.
  28. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    i may get one. when i bought my TV the circuit city guy wrote down some settings he said that the guys you pay set them up for. i can post them if you want. i have a plasma not sure if that makes a difference

29. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    i have a panasonic plasma and i love it. dont let anyone steer you away from them unless you will be viewing your PC through. i think thats the only potential drawback

GoPhins! likes this.
  30. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Without question. Why wouldn't you calibrate your TV? It's like leaving money on the table: you're not getting the full capabilities of the set otherwise. You don't even need to actually buy a calibration DVD, just find a free ISO (as opposed to a DVD rip ISO) floating around at places like AVS Forum and burn it.

Alternatively, if you have digital cable or satellite, sometimes a station or two will broadcast a calibration pattern at some ridiculous hour--4 AM or thereabouts. You can just record that to your DVR and play it back for as long as you need to calibrate the set.

maynard likes this.
  31. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Pioneer if you can afford it, Panasonic if you can't. What is your budget. Don't let anyone tell you different, Plasmas have great PQ, even the Samsungs.

Downsides are brightness in bright viewing conditions, and image retention concerns. Notice I didn't say burn in, and I didn't say problems, just concerns. Calibrate that thing right out of the box to turn down some contrast and brightness, and you'll be golden with image retention.

Positives are good black levels, great viewing angles (My samsung looks awesome straight on, start going to the sides and it doesn't do well at all), excellent color reproduction. That last one is tricky. Do you want accurate color reproduction (film/movie snobs) or do you like vibrant colors that pop? Plasma's will be beautiful when calibrated and be vibrant but it won't POP like an LCD can.

The samsungs have nice pq but they have a horrible rep regarding image retention. However, I must add, if you will be viewing in rooms that may have light in them, the newer Samsungs I believe have a coating that helps black and color levels. They have no effect in a dark room but do in a brighter one. Go check them out. the 650 series samsung vs. i would say, a panny 85u or something depending on your budget.

Pioneer 5020's I believe are on sale for now. Pricey at a little over $2,000 but these things normally run higher.

GoPhins! likes this.
  32. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    It could be argued that no two tvs are the same, and certainly you have to consider setting/location when calibrating as well. Needless to say, my DLP would not likely go well with the settings of your Plasma. But thanks. :lol:

33. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    :yes:

34. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    great call. HDNet is doing one this saturday morning at 7:30

35. ILPhinFan88

ILPhinFan88 Premium Member Luxury Box

Pioneer is what I have, Love it. I did months of research before I bought it. Many sites listed it as the best Plasma in its price range.

Here is the main website I went to.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/

They did a review of the TV I bought so I was able to use the settings they listed as the best for viewing settings. They have a section on LCD TV reviews

And type comparisons.
    LCD TV vs Plasma TV
    LCD TV vs DLP TV
    LCD TV vs OLED
    LCD TV vs CRT

GoPhins! likes this.