1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Head Coaching Search News From NFLN

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by alen1, Jan 5, 2009.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't have a link for this but the following were said by Mike Lombardi on NFL Network:

-- Leslie Frazier is an attractive candidate. Rams, Lions are seriously considering him. Rams also after Rex Ryan.
    -- Jim Harbaugh will not be in Oakland. He's an attractive candidate though because of his experience in the league and HC expereince at Stanford. Lions and the Jets will talk to him shortly but Stanford wants to keep him.
    -- Detroit and Denver were not "wowed" by Spagnualos interview and will likely pass on him according to Mike Lombardi.
    -- Mangini is Browns Head Coach and is looking to hire new staff members as we speak.

My thoughts on the news is that the Browns are the most dysfunctional organization I've seen not named the Oakland Raiders. The owner comes out only a week ago saying that he wouldn't hire a head coach without a GM in place and unless I missed something, they have no GM. Furthermore, surprised by the news about Spagnualo. I'm shocked that Jim Harbaugh isn't a serious candidate in Oakland after reports came out that he and Al Davis had been talking for over a year now regarding the head coaching spot. I think this also raises the questions of Davis' loyalty to his guys, which would be against the Raiders theme or whatever one wishes to call it.

2. FinsPensFan

FinsPensFan Professional Slacker

Dec 21, 2007
    Wheeling, WV
    How did this happen without honoring the Rooney rule?

Your right, the Mistake By The Lake Clowns are a disaster. They have been going back to the early 90's when they lost the team to Baltimore.

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Maybe they NFL felt bad for them?

On a serious note, I have no clue. Just going by what Lombardi stated.

4. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    They re-interviewed Crennel right after they fired him :shifty:

Anyways, I think Leslie Frazier is going to be a really good HC and hes most likely going to the Rams.

5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I agree with Frazier, would like to see him get a shot somewhere.

The Browns ... suck. The Raiders .... suck.

I would like to see Josh McDaniels of the Pats get some good looks as well, think hes a solid guy, imo much more solid than the 3 before him.

Spags Im not shocked on, he just seems like a career coordinator to me, ala Jim Johnson or Monte Kiffen.

The most interesting move to me would be if Pioli jumps ship somewhere, would definately like to see the pats draft without him.

As for the Rooney Rule, you get fined for not following it, but its not like there are people with guns enforcing it ;)

6. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    I feel lucky that Mangini had so much win now" pressure in NY. I think he has potential to be a great HC in the right situation. I can see him succeeding in Cleveland (not that they should have fired RC in the first place).

7. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    They shouldnt have fired Crennel? What?!?!? He was absolutely horrible!

8. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Wait so they fired one failed Bellicheat assistant for another?

texanphinatic likes this.
  9. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Crennel's built a fair team over in Cleveland. Of course they stank it up this year and he should be on the hot seat BUT I think they jumped the gun. They had a very bad year but they showed a lot of promise last season and he was only 3 years into building his team. At this point they have a team with a lot of talent that underachieved. I think bringing in a new coach puts them back an awful lot as far as setting up a system and bringing in the players to run it. Showing a coach that showed promise the door after only 3 seasons with a young team for what?

I wouldn't have shown him the door unless there was someone DEFINITIVELY better available...which there's not at the moment. IMO same story with mangini. Had he been given 5 years or so I think he could have really turned that franchise around. Instead they were trying to show him the door after only 2 seasons. Instead of letting him build a tea and bring in his players he was forced to abandon his system and overpay for talent in a bid to "win now".

Foolish IMO.

10. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Mangini will never get the Browns to the level of the Steelers.

11. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    They built an OK team, but Crennel was a horrible coach. Poor player management, poor on field decisions, poor clock management, poor 4th quarter calls, poor judgement in just about everything. He was a crappy coach, no way about it and deserved and needed to be fired imo.

padre31 likes this.
  12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Honestly, I'm not sure anyone will. Ever. I think they are one of two organizations that will be constant failures, the other being the Lions.

13. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    dont forget the Bills and Jets :up:

alen1 likes this.
  14. Mkdave

Mkdave New Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Milton Keynes, England
    I think now that Matt Millen's gone there's no reason to believe they can't get back on the road to respectability. I'm not saying they will, just saying it could happen.

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    It absolutely could but I don't think it will.

16. Mkdave

Mkdave New Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Milton Keynes, England
    I think they'll be a decent team eventually. Not next year, but maybe the one after.

17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Hopefully. Make the NFC North a bit more interesting lol.

18. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I dont see why the Lions cant at least be an average team in a few years. Before Millen they actually were fairly regularly in the playoffs.

Now a team I havent seen mentioned is Oakland. IMO as long as Davis is calling the shots there they will be terrible.

19. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Mangini makes sense in Cleveland, I'd bet the use similar systems, and the Browns won't be starting at -0-, and they have a ton of talent.

The Lions have to find someone who is willing to take two years worth of lumps, and they have to be Offensively minded IMO, all their talent is on offense.

The Raiders...all of those bad years have left them with some talent, but Russel and McFadden haven't done a thing in Oakland, whomever they hire not only has to squeeze Russel, they have to deal with Al Davis...

And the Chiefs haven't fired Herm Edwards yet, a new GM may drop the ax..

20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    There's something already brewing in Cleveland. Adam Schefter is reporting that once Eric Mangini gets his staff in place and the General Manager is announced, they will look at the market for Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow. They could possibly move them because of the two often opening their mouths.

21. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

hello philly for both of them.

22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Kellen Winslow is most certainly a possibility IMO. Not so much for Braylon Edwards.

23. anlgp

Yeah I think they have a decent WR corps actually.

24. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah, they're main guys are vertical players though. Baskett and Brown are inconsistent.

25. anlgp

Avant does alright, too.

26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I liked him coming out but he hasn't stepped up and taken the job away from anyone. He's been a bit disappointing IMO.