1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heading into the Draft 5 questions for..the Offense

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Apr 10, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The Draft is nearing and now would be a good time to take a look at 5 questions we have on the offensive side of the ball:

1-Is Chad Henne the answer at Qb? And what to do with the Pennington/White/Thigpen situation? Now it is easy to be cute and say "move White to Wr" not only does that make no sense, there is also no room for White at Wr.

2-All the questionable players on Offense, Rotten Richie Incognito, Ronnie Brown's annual injury, Ricky W pushing 33, and Lex Hilliard a 240 pd back who goes down like a 190 pd back..

3.Who plays LG?

4. Which Anthony Fasano shows up in 2010? The 8 TD one, or the 2 fumbles in one game one?

5. Who is draws the short straw on the Receiving Corps?

gafinfan, HULKFish, finyank13 and 2 others like this.
  2. I MiZFiT I

I MiZFiT I The Young And The Bestest

Mar 16, 2009
    South Carolina
    Easy. The answer to all 5 - TED GINN. :knucks:

3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    :ffic:

Brilliant!

I MiZFiT I likes this.
  4. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Good questions tho...

5. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    1) He's a going to be a good starter, but I honestly can't see him being a franchise guy. However I think with Ronnie Brown (healthy) and a top tier WR you'd be hard pressed to find a QB with talent who wouldn't succeed. Especially with our line.

2) I don't think you draft based on injuries. Or rather, you make sure you have depth just like you would at any other position, but you don't reach for a guy because you believe your star might go down. Not sure Incognito and Hilliard are really an issue, as I dont see us relying on them too hard. Especially Hilliard. Things could change if Smiley goes however.

3) Smiley? Until proven otherwise.

4) I honestly can't blame him for one of the two fumbles (maybe both) in that game. Those were some perfectly placed hits, and big ones at that. However I do agree he had a down year and hopefully picks it up.

5) If we add another receiver? Most likely either Camarillo or Turner. Obviously Cam is a much better player at this point that Turner, however I'd say that Hartline will develop into a better player than Cam, and a similar enough one that makes Camarillo expendable. It depends how the staff feels about the progress Turner has made and his long term potential.

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    White at best would be a slot Wr, we already have Bess, and he is not hitting the waiver wire anytime soon dude.

To much invested in him, that means Penny and Thiggy are at loggerheads.

And "no' the RB situation is not fine..at all, Ronnie has yet another injury and we are sunk as RW cannot carry the load anymore, recall that Lex was playing so much later in the yr because Ricky Williams was injured.

With as much invested in running the ball as we have, do you really want Lex Hilliard to be a everydown back?

Pat Cobbs perhaps?

7. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    First of all..... regardless of what the FO actually does, to continue trying to develop White as a pro set QB is a waste of time and roster spot.....the only place that kid is dangerous is when he has the ball in space. So we either figure out ways to do that, or this is his last season as a Dolphin. They can't keep making excuses for keeping him at QB.....

Secondly, you're panicking on our RB situation.... we can only afford to address so many areas and when you have a unit that talented, leave it alone. Injuries happen, hopefully they won't this year...

GMJohnson and HULKFish like this.
  8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Being a Qb is a good reason to keep him a..Qb.

They won't this year?

Can I borrow your crystal ball, I need some stock advice.

9. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i still fully believe Henne will be our QB for the next decade ...

each question has a backup plan on Offense ... so not really worried.

again, for the OL -- outside of C depth ... not worried one bit. we will have our best line in years.

Fasano is capable, certainly not spectacular .... we don't need spectacular - so as long as he improves a bit, we will be ok at TE ... plus there is Sperry and Nalbone in the hopper that we don't know where they are at until the mini camps and OTCs ...

i do think we'll add another WR .... and i'm still all in on trading down - then trading for Marshall with either the low 1st or 2nd .... we need to find some way to push Ginn at both WR and KR .... CAM is certainly trade bait, conversely - he is a reliable known until others can prove their worth during TC. We really need Turner (or some new tall WR to make it onto the field this year) to create some mismatches .... folks think Bess is a lock, whereas - i disagree .... maybe Mullins can push him, since he is faster (i think) ... then there is also Johnson and Pruitt --not holding my breath ... but you never know what can happen.

10. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    imo ricky was asked to carry the load way too much when ronnie went down
    they should have given lex more touches so to say lex played a lot during that time is false. in the bills game for instance RW was supposed to be limited to 25 carries and he had 20 or so at halftime. lex was mainly used on third down or spelled williams on passing plays

as for cobbs being an everydown back i dont see
    dont think he is built to carry the load
    have to agree that the running back position is a bit of a problem with ronnie being injury prone it would be nice to find a bruising back sometime during the draft. tall order i know.

11. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I agree and that would make sense if he actually was a good QB....however that little midget under center looks worse than the actual pick. This was a cluster**** of an idea from the moment they drafted him and to continue trying to develop him as a QB is just plain ignorance of the facts.

Who knows? Do you know for a fact everybody will get hurt again?

What position of need would you like to neglect in order to try and revamp a unit that is arguably one of the best in the NFL?

Oh and buy low, sell high

MrClean likes this.
  12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not a revamp, we do need a younger, big body who runs with power, something Lexxy does not do very well.

We ahve 5 picks in the later rounds, we can find someone.

As for the injuries, think about JS, do Rb's grow more durable as they grow older, or less durable?

13. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    1. We still haven't seen the full extent of what he is capable of. We saw some good things in his first year as a starter and we also saw some bad things. I don't know if he is talented enough to carry an offense without more help but I think he is more than capable to get the job done.

2. I think RB is something we need to address this year or next year in the draft. Ronnie can't stay healthy and while Williams missed some years of taking a pounding 2-3 years down the road we could be in trouble there.

3. That's another position based on your mock draft in another thread wouldn't surprise me to see them address. They strongly believe in winning the game in the trenches and that is a weak spot. Maybe Smiley can stay healthy or maybe Incognito can get his head out of his a@#. I think we look mid to late rounds for somebody.

4. Another position we need to address. If we can't find a true #1 WR we need to find a playmaker and dependable TE that Henne can rely on. I'm not sure Fasano is that man.

5. We have way too many #2-4 type of WR's. I think if Ginn doesn't make some strides this year they may move on with him. This staff likes old school guys that don't mind getting down and dirty. He obviously is afraid of contact. If he made our offense explosive you could deal with that but that isn't the case. We get great value out of Bess and Hartline showed some promise. Ginn has a lot to prove this year.

padre31 likes this.
  14. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Sorry, but Pat White is a quarterback in title only. He clearly is not an NFL quarterback based on his ability. To continue him at this position is foolish and a waste of time. His strength is his ability to run with the ball when he is in space. You move him to an athletic position and try to salvage the pick. If he stays at QB, then there is no chance that this pick pans out.

Also, I agree that Miami is in trouble if Ronnie goes down and Ricky cannot carry the load, but I'm not concerned about it. Why should I be making moves worrying what my top two backs will do when I'm sitting here with zero starting outside linebackers, a very questionable starter at nose tackle for the first eight games, no starter at free safety, and continued questions about the interior offensive line. Not only that, but ILB has to be addressed at some point to get someone that can eventually push Channing Crowder out of his job.

Basically, I might consider a running back with one of the 6th round picks that Miami has, but I'm loading up on linebackers in the first four rounds and possibly another offensive lineman.

GMJohnson likes this.
  15. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I'd have no problem using a late round pick on a RB .........but more than likely that player would do no better than end up on the practice squad. It's not like we don't have any depth right now...

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Forgive me if I simply delete yet another P White sermon KB.

Well, think about that for a moment KB, your assumption is a Rook can play better at the positions you highlighted as compared to Wake and Anderson and Culver et al

I'm somewhat curious as to what you base that assumption upon?

What would make a rook instantly a better player than Wake or Moses or Anderson or whomever that has experience?

Depends, if Blount is targeted in the 4th rd, and I think he is, then they should take him as we run the ball first and foremost, they cannot allow another season to hinge on Ronnie B's dubious medical history..full stop.

GMJohnson likes this.
  17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Functionally, we don't have any depth at Rb, the two starters have serious questions, Hilliard is not really a great Rb, and P Cobbs is what he is.

Unless Kory Sheets blows up training camp, and imho..he could, we do not have much depth at the one unit that simply must succeed.

gafinfan likes this.
  18. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I think you underestimate this unit...... Ronnie and Ricky will be creating havoc once again, mark it down.

And Blount is probably gone before the 4th round..

Get a true number one WR and TE and we won't have to worry about wearing those guys out.

GMJohnson likes this.
  19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think he is as well, however 3 Qb's behind him, and the Sophomore Jinx are issues.

We must address it this year, we run the ball, there is no other way to put it.

Well, I suspect they cut Smiley to create the cash to sign JT, and I like CFLer Dimitri Tsoumpas, however like Rb I don't see them taking any chances on not having an answer at LG.

My thinking as well, I'll grant Kory Sperry looked good in limited play, but suspect he was a washer, not a nut or a bolt of the dolphins future, he was more like day labor.

The thing of that is, they do get open, a top notch Te would make all 4 players much more effective imho, Ginn would chase off the safety, a Te would force the Lb's to play deeper, and the Bess's and Greg C's of the roster would have a field day.

20. huck1974

huck1974 FU Gene Steratore

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    I can think of 7 positions that are more of a need than running back right now.

21. princekong2

princekong2 New Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Ted Ginn will have his Best Year next year i will put my money on that
    Ryan Grice Mullen :D
    Lets Go Taurus Johnson!

adamprez2003 likes this.
  22. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Hopefully having Penny there for another year plus the competition can help him overcome the sophmore jinx. We do have a traffic jam at #2 and #3 QB. I guess having depth at the most important position is a nice luxury but too many guys with limited reps to go around. There's been talk of White moving to slot but Bess is there. Orginally I thought that pick would mean we would use him as a slot WR but drafting him last year as a QB is very puzzling.

I don't know anything about the guy from the CFL but we certainly need more consistency out of that position.

To your last point, I think the key is we need someone who creates some pressure on the defense and opens up our offense. Whether it's drafting a WR in the 1st or 2nd round or going after a TE we need someone. I'm not hell bent on spending our 1st pick on a WR or the popular opinion of trading for Marshall or drafting Bryant as I think it's important to get a high character player. IF they feel Bryant is that guy then I will be happy with that. It would be nice to see Benn, Thomas, LaFell or Tate there with our 2nd pick.

While many in Fin nation seem to think this draft will make us contenders this year I'm of the opinion we are still 2 years away. We need to address WR, FS, NT, OLB, TE, RB, LG and possibly another LB spot and we won't cover that all in this year. While RB has been a bright spot and strength,
    we are 1-2 injuries away from losing the playmaking on our offense. I know most teams are but when you look at Browns history and Williams age it becomes more pressing. I would like to see them use a mid round pick at RB.

Many seem to think the first 4 rounds will go with some cobination of TE, OLB, WR, FS, and NT in no particular order. I wouldn't be surprised to see RB in one of those slots.

23. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Good summation Padre :up:

1)Henne is the answer but he's never going to be Peyton Manning. Not accurate enough. Still he can be our Eli Manning or Ben Roethslisberger potentially which is good enough

2) I think RB is the wildcard in this draft. I like our RB corps but I could also see us drafting some new blood. I think everyone is in play depending if they pull the trigger on a RB in the draft and then it depends what type of RB they draft. Spiller or Best and Cobbs is gone. Lagarrette Blount and Lex is gone

3) I think it will be Incognito at LG but the battle will be fierce and whoever becomes a backup could probably start on a lot of other teams

4) I think Fasano will return to 2008 form and I think we'll finally see if Nalbone has a chance. Still I cant see us skipping drafting a TE this draft but so far that position is rumor free as far as the draft is concerned

5) Camarillo will be cut. Ginn might be a draft day trade. My wildcard is Bess will be cut or traded if we draft a slot receiver type with better speed

padre31 likes this.
  24. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

That was a nice summation, Padre of specific questions. This thread might be better served after the draft, however there is one question that can sum up all the questions about our O. (well, at least to me....)

Who is going to be our offensive play-maker ??

Brown - Questions about health continue to surround him. He's still best suited as a complementary back mainly due to the injury history. He can break big plays, but he's not a player the other team 'worries' about since he's about the ONLY player that fits the bill and can be controlled since they don't really have to worry about anyone else.

Ginn - not exactly yet. I personally still hold out hope that this kid develops into a bona fide NFL WR, but inconsistency has been his forte so far. He's an exciting return guy, but our overall return teams have been very poor for three years...that's still not enough to be that missing 'play-maker' though.

Cammy - Nice receiver...not a difference maker.
    Bess - Ditto.
    Hartline - maybe, there's room for potential with this kid, but more likely "see Cammy..."
    Fasano - up and down years don't bode well for this kid either. He's another 'Cammy' type player. Nice player but not a difference maker.

Williams, Cobb, Lexy, Turner ?? Anyone really hold out hopes any of these guys will develop into that guy ?? Sorry, not me.

We need a Dez or Benn or a Tate or perhaps even an import via a draft day trade...in fact, in my fantasies, I still see that swap #1's and #3's with Dallas for Miles....if that occurs, I wouldn't even watch the rest of the draft....

Ok, that's a lie, but you get my drift....bottom line is we just don't have anyone that is feared by the rest of the NFL...

25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The problem is 2 are developmental types and one is coming off of yet another shoulder injury, Thiggy is a shotgun Qb, so it P White.

Granted, unless they calculate that between Thomas, Garner, Tsoumpas they can find a solid starter.

I'd be happy with Andre Roberts from the Citadel or T Price from Ohio.

We only carry 2 NT's on the roster and Ferguson was resigned, so that means that more than likely are counting on Soliai to hold down the Nose.

To me the answer at LG is on the roster, perhaps FS as well, that leaves Wr and a Te with specific skill set and one or two OLB's, once again we do have talent on the roster, some with starting experience, they can still develop.

As for 2yrs away, I'm not so sure, the AFCE has gotten even tougher but then again the young guys are moving into their primes with 2 yrs of experience under their belts, Smith and Davis have a yr under their belts as well.

Though I suspect the Jets will find out that doing it all over again is alot harder than simply looking at last yr's highlight film, we found that out in 09, and the Bills added Chan Gailey, but lost the best Special Teams coach in the AFCE Bobby April, and the Pats are more less rebuilding and trying to get younger.

I would not be a bit surprised if Jason Taylor signs in NY that we try to pick up Adalious Thomas if the Pats cut him.

Depends who is there at Rb, and I suspect we take 2 offensive players and 2 OLB's in the first 4 rds, then fish around for a NT/FS/Nickel Corner/ILB later in the draft.

26. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Nah Bro, Rotten Richie has said he is the RG in interviews, he was asked if he looked forwards to lining up next to Big Jake and he said he was slated to play the other side of the Oline.

RGM is being looked at as "the" kick returner, Irish mentioned that during his live fan chat.

27. huck1974

huck1974 FU Gene Steratore

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri

I don't see Camarillo being cut. He did not drop a single pass last year. Not one. He is money. All of those players have some trade value.

padre31 and gafinfan like this.
  28. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Ignore it all you want, but you know it is true. Pat White will never be an NFL caliber quarterback.

As far as Wake, Moses, or Anderson, Wake is the only one that has shown anything in limited time. Moses has been in the league for 3 years and has done nothing. Anderson has been in the league for 6 or 7 years and has done nothing. Culver has been in the league 4 years and has done nothing. It is foolish to think everyone on your team is just a late bloomer and to ignore these positions in the draft because you are concerned about the deepest position on this team.

29. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ditto.

Moses played well as a rookie DE in 07, Anderson had two sacks filling in for Porter and is probably the best bet at the Sam to play coverage Lb, and Culver started a game last yr and played a decent amount of time, and you have Club Membership, surely you perused Ck's excellent analysis of Culver's play?

Q has been behind Matt Roth and JT, where was his playing time supposed to come from? I looked at his play stats on PFF and he is a consistent performer in the limited snaps he has gotten.

Late Bloomers, or stuck behind two all decade players?

GMJohnson likes this.
  30. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Believe it or not Charlie Anderson was our best cover LB.....that being said, I agree with KB.....ignoring this positions can't be done....pick early quality and often for that LB corp....I dont wanna see a offensive pick until Mike Williams in the 4th...hahaha...if he even makes it that far, but thats where I slot him out as....I wouldnt spend a 3rd on him....

31. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It depends, they will target "their' guys, if they happen to carry 3rd or 4th rd grades, why overdraft them if a offensive player that has been targeted carries a 1st or 2nd rd grade?

Imho C Anderson or Q Moses will take over the Mario Haggans role at the SAM position, with a rook or JT or whomever rotating in to rush the passer.

finyank13 likes this.
  32. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thiggy on the trade block would make some sense:

I expect it will be a player for player swap or a pick in 2011, not this year.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/04/11/giants-may-surprise-with-offensive-pick

33. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    They're going to keep doing what they are doing with White. There will almost certainly be more "cute" stuff where he isn't the guy under center when they're more comfortable with him being able to fill that role, though.

Joe Berger, I'm claiming. There was very little if any dropoff from the fantastic year that Jake Grove was having.

They are the same guy, basically. If Fasano ends up as the #2, he's more '08 than '09.

Ginn, probably.

34. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'd like to see White have some Wr training though, simply because it would help the WC "if" White could run a Sweep and have the potential to throw the ball from the Wr position.

Rewatched the second Phins v Pats game, and Berger manhandled Vince Willfork, it was impressive, but Grove is injury prone, so even if Berger wins the LG job we still need a quality, and identified, backup who can step in and start during a game.

Which also means we need a #1 Receiving Te.

He would have the most trade value but I suspect it will be Greg C, who is talented in his own way, but upgradeable, he would make a fine #3 wr for someplace like Denver or Detroit.

35. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Why would they get rid of the low cost/high production players?

finyank13 likes this.
  36. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Sure, that kind of stuff I'd love to see, but they said that the focus would be on developing him as a Quarterback with the idea that he would have to come in like in the Steelers game even if he were primarily doing other stuff.

Well, at Center. That's what I thought Incognito would be initially, Center/Guard depth to let Berger move to Guard and not worry about it.

I'm completely with you here.

padre31 likes this.
  37. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Because they can upgrade the position with a faster, more productive player, which is the real reason why Ryan Grice Mullens was signed imho, he is Bess only faster.

And he has 2 yrs of practice squad eligibility.

No way Greg C is cut outright, he has too much value as a possession Wr who has proven skills, 54 catches and no drops?

38. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    There's a whole lot that Grice-Mulllens would have to do before he's close to a replacement for Bess.

39. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Too early to tell. Henne did some good things and some bad things last season. He's the incumbent now, so we'll see what he can do with a full offseason of starter prep under his belt, but he's not nearly the lock at QB that the dogma would suggest.

As for the backups... tough call. I can't see us going into the season with four QBs active, which means Thigpen or Pennington gets traded, White is listed as a non-QB for roster purposes (KR/PR, maybe?), or we cut a running back to make room. Don't see White making the practice squad: someone would claim him off waivers if he were cut.

If Turner doesn't have a productive training camp, he's gone. If he has a productive training camp, adios Camarillo.

40. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Which he will have to show in Training Camp and rookie minicamp, however the point is, he will have the chance to show that he can replace him.

Which to me will be the theme this training camp, back to the 08 TC, only players have secure jobs, Big Jake and Dan Carpenter and Randy Starks, and DC Cash could be beaten out by a kicker with a bigger leg.