1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help proofreading?

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by anlgp, Sep 7, 2009.

Tags:
  1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I have an article due tomorrow. I'm a bit behind schedule. I usually procrastinate but I'm not listening to my own deadlines in my brain. This is my first formal article I've written in some time. Grammatical errors are given -3 points each time they are there. The flow has to be right and in order. It has to be 500 words. It has to make sense. It should not suck. I don't like the way some of this is written and will be changing that.

If you guys would please proofread this and keep in mind my conclusion is not there. Rip me a new one if you need to.

-----------
    [FONT=&quot]Anyone Can Play Guitar[/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot] A good hobby to pick up is guitar. Even someone with little to no musical inclination can pick one up if they know good habits and have a good teacher. It is a widely stated and agreed upon opinion that acoustic guitars are easier to learn because it is harder to cover up mistakes. All it takes is basic understanding of a guitar, music theory and dedication.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The basic parts of a guitar are the headstock, tuning pegs, nut, neck, fretboard, bridge and body and are explained as follows. The headstock is the part of the guitar at the very top where the strings are wound through the tuning pegs. The tuning pegs are metal pegs which allow an increase or decrease in string tension, thereby putting the string at the right tone. The nut is the piece of material right before the fretboard which guides the strings properly to the bridge. The fretboard runs along the neck of the guitar. They are raised pieces of metal which change the tone of note being played. The bridge helps amplify the sound of the strings along with the body.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Music Theory is the practical application of how music works. Pitch is a frequency, it is how fast or slow a given string vibrates when a finger is placed upon a fret. The further back the finger is held towards the nut, the longer the vibration and the lower the pitch. The pitches are given names, or notes, and are A, B, C, D, E, F and G. Each note in standard tuning from the thickest to the thinnest string is E, A, D, G, B and E. Every note has a sharp (raised pitch) and a flat (lowered pitch) except between notes B-C and E-F. If either of the “E” strings were fretted on the first fret the note would be “F”. If this logic is used every note can now be found, which makes reading music a lot easier. It may seem complicated, but two strings are the same leaving only four strings. A succession of different notes creates a melody or part of a song that has to be played in time with other music or musicians. A metronome is a device that counts time that is very helpful for this.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The dedication needed to play is simply taking at least 10 minutes out of a day and sitting down with a guitar. There are several different ways of keeping the approach fresh and interesting. There will be plateaus where nothing seems to come easily, it is during these times that continued practice must be at its strongest. At these times varying up the genre of music being played and different finger exercises can be very helpful.[/FONT]
    ---------------------------------------------------

2. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Ok I'll do my best here. may not get all the way through though as we're bbq-ing atm.

First line: "guitar" isn't really a hobby. Perhaps try something like "Playing guitar is a great hobby to pick up"
    Second Line: "acoustic guitars are easier to learn to play because..."
    Line 5: "nut is thepiece of material right above the fretboard..."
    also line 5: since the 'fretboard' is techincally singular, to refer to it as 'they' is technically incorrect. maybe try "the fretboard consists of metal pieces which change..."
    Line 7: not sure, but i think "Pitch is a frequency, which is how fast..." might sound better
    Line 8: the pitches are given names, or notes, that are called A, B....
    2nd to last line: try making it 2 sentences. "There will be... come easily. It is during.. strongest."

other than that, and minus the conclusion of course, sounds great dude. I know I may be sounding nitpicky there but I think that is what you are looking for, right? Good luck bro, I hope all goes well. and if anyone (yourself included) wants to challenge my thoughts go right ahead, these are just my opinion after all. we all have our own ways of writing! keep up the good work

anlgp likes this.
  3. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Thanks.

I've since changed a few things around and have 25 words to write my conclusion in.

I hate conclusions.. what else needs to be said?

4. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    you should send it to hollifinfan...................... shes pretty awesome at this stuff

anlgp likes this.
  5. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    "The basic parts of a guitar are the headstock, tuning pegs, nut, neck, fretboard, bridge and body and are explained as follows"

change the last "and" to ", which"

"They are raised pieces of metal which change the tone of note being played."

not sure, but his might be "the note" instead of "note"

"Pitch is a frequency, "

comma splice. change that "," to a "." or ";"

"There will be plateaus where nothing seems to come easily, "

also a comma splice. change that "," to a "." or ";"

anlgp likes this.