1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with my Memorex HD Camcorder.

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Sethdaddy8, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    The wife got me a Memorex MCC228RSBLK.

Its a tiny camcorder/digital camera. i use an 8GB memory card.

anyway, when I go to hook it up to my computer, no luck.
    Its supposed to be Mac compatible. But the videos come out with audio only, the video isnt getting converted. so basically quicktime will open, i hear my voice and all sound, but theres no visual. from early googling, i see a potential problem with quick time and other video players playing back the HD format that is being recorded. but the memorex site is next to useless, and i dont have any software or downloads that will help me convert the video.

anyone have experience or know what the heck is going on?
    its a cool little piece of equipment, and not too expensive, and tiny so i can take it anywhere and dont have to be afraid of using it. i just dont want to waste my time if i can never figure out how to get videos onto my computer for editing, saving, and dvd conversion.

thanks in advance.

2. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    My guess is a codec issue. Quicktime is notoriously stingy when it comes to different video formats. What's the file type it outputs as?

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  3. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    its avi. quick time brings me to their homepage to "buy" different codecs.

A. i dont know which one it requires (memorex is uber useless help and info wise)
    B. i really dont feel like "paying" for some stupid video converter.

:(

4. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    i tried with divx, downloaded their most recent app, still no video. i tried on my pc, nothing. weird. thing doesnt even have a manual!

5. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Downloading AVIcodec or GSpot can help you identify the codec. A quick google will lead you to their download sites. I'm not sure if they are Mac compatible as I usually run them on BootCamp with my Macbook or my gaming rig.

You can find most of the codecs you'd need here for free (PC only): K-Lite Codec Pack Standard v4.4.2 (freeware)

You can find pretty much any codec and converters on the internet for free. Never pay, especially for Quicktime.

lol, I know, I tried looking for one on their support site and the pdf file was corrupt. :lol:

Sethdaddy8 and anlgp like this.
  6. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Yeah never pay for anything. Chances are there are free versions available. And by free I mean.. legally.

edit:

and i'm serious about legal, too.

it's called free software, or open source software, or free libre open source software. just look into it. point is you as a consumer don't pay and if it's open source and you develop the only thing you have to do is release the code to the public.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  7. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    VLC media player - Overview

That's the program we use where I work (basically a production studio)...

I'm guessing that Quicktime is unable to read the codec it is in... An AVI file is very common so I don't understand why it won't read it, but Quicktime is nearly as bad as Windows Media Player (if not worse)

Try using VLC Player to see if you can view your videos... It should work, if not, just let me know...

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  8. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I would be out of my mind.. new camera.. CAN'T download it arrrrggggggg. I want one of those babies pretty bad.. gotta replace my regular camera first.. was stolen out of my truck in my driveway.. if not for bronchial pnuemonia 5 weeks ago, with three doctor visits, and the SIX times I have been to the oral surgeon in the last 3 weeks, my Christmas was slim. I will be watching and learning from your ordeal, thanks for breaking the ground.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  9. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    sometimes you get what you pay for. my wife and i kept xmas very small, its been a tough year economically speaking, and nows not the time to go throwing money around with such a shaky future in 09.

i used my wifes laptop, and it could read the microsoft software that was provded(my issue is that i use/prefer Mac) the quality is not very good though, as it isnt being re-broadcasted in the HD its supposedly shot in. now this little thing has an hdmi input, to play direct from the camera to the tv in HD. so i unplugged my PS3, and went to hook it in, and well...i dont know what that input is, but its not the same size of my hdmi cabe. its shaped like an hdmi cable, but its much smaller.

so its been one headache after another, as far as "simple" playback solutions, and transferring video to a source that can save it in high def.
    that said, the thing was $120, and i can throw it in my pocket and not worry if it falls out or something. it is tiny and convenient.

But Marty, for a photog of your caliber/interest, I dont know if this is the gizmo for you.

cnc66 likes this.
  10. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    tonight i'll play around with VLC. trying to find codecs and new players has proved fruitless thus far.

11. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    whoops, i didnt mean to mark best answer yet. i don't even recall accidentally marking anything best answer. oh well. everyone was helpful though. thanks.

12. JustJonno

JustJonno New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Hey everyone.. just registered to post here to help you guys out.. dunno if you have all sorted yourselves out or not or if the units have hit the wall in fraustration.. lol

I recently brought one from radioshack for $84 on holiday, mainly as it was NTSC and PAL compatible.. great news for holiday/grandparents and great for us back home. I've since been doing some research and found some good info for you all.

Firstly, the manual is back on the memorex site!!

Secondly, the codec that you're all looking for for the HD recordings is the H.264/MPEG4 codec. You can get it from the Mega Codec pack mentioned above, or VLC plays it straight off. However, if you want to edit the file, you'll need to get the codec and install it properly in order for mediaplayer and the like to see it.
    If you're on a MAC, you can get the codec from here: macupdate.com/info.php/id/20273
    and follow the instructions to install it into your mac.

Thirdly.. if you're after editing the files to make something of them then i would recommend NOT using the windows built in one or iMovie.. both of them have problems when dealing with the high file size and also the codec conversions. If you want to edit then for the mac i recommend getting Final Cut Studio and for windows there's a specific codec editor thats like the windows movie editor available here:
    (due to posting restrictions just google "AVS-Video-Editor" )

Also, the hdmi socket on the kit is a Mini-HDMI socket. You can get the mini-hdmi to standard hdmi cable from places like amazon.com or ebay or even radioshack for about $6-$8.99 plus tax and delivery. Definatly worth getting though as the quality is alot better direct hdmi to your HD-TV.

The last thing i've found out is that this unit will actually take the 32GB SDCard with no problems at all. Its a little bit pricey but well worth it if you want to record alot and don't want to cart around loads of SD Cards. Avg recording time on the 32GB is 36Hours normal and 16Hours HiDef.

Finally.. don't worry too much about charging either.. the stock charger is 110-240v so a simple european converter will suffice to ensure the unit charges as (stupidly) they didn't think to let it charge off the PC..

Hope all this info helps you all out some. Its a great little camcorder and I recommend it to anyone as its so small and handy and tough as hell (ran mine over with a car accidently and it survived) and also its good value at the current price.

Jonno. :up:

cnc66 and Sethdaddy8 like this.
  13. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    hey thanks a lot! i sort of gave up on this thing, but you provided a lot of great info here. i'll give it another shot. thanks again!

14. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Seth.. sent a report in to staff forums and asked an admin to remove it as best post.. may take awhile, but it is underway!

I liked Jonno's post myself

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  15. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    thank you. :up:

16. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    Done :)

Sethdaddy8 and cnc66 like this.
  17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  18. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I strongly suggest you look into Sony Vegas as far as editing programs goes. It's easier to use for the casual editor than Final Cut, Premiere Pro, or Avid.

I don't know how serious you are into editing, but if you're serious but not professional video editor serious.... I suggest Sony Vegas. It reads almost any codec (compared to other editing programs) and has an easy learning curve.