1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Henne and Marshall vs Tannehill and Wallace

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bumrush, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Remember the overwhelming desire for Henne and the team to make a concerted effort to distribute a disproportionate amount of the offense through Marshall?

While he produced decent numbers, Henne seemed to key in on Marshall at the expense of the rest of our WR corps.

Contrast that to Tannehill, who is distributing the ball to every WR, TE and RB on the team, with little regard for the 60 million dollar contract or the diva WR clamoring for the ball.

So who does this fall on? Is it strictly the QB? Was it on Sparano? Or is it simply a function of the differences between Marshall and Wallace? Despite opening up his route tree against Indy, it's obvious that Wallace doesn't have the physical tools that Marshall had. Is it an indictment of the cast of talent around Henne and Marshall?

I love that Ryan didn't succumb to the pressure against Atlanta and continued to distribute and throw low risk passes. Another sign of his maturation as a QB, and a clear indication that he is leader on this team. Wallace will get his in due time.

Thoughts?

Unlucky 13 and RGF like this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    THill makes touch throws more consistently then Henne could when he was with us.

I can think of 3 passes from the Atl game Henne could not throw including the Sims Td.

RGF likes this.
  3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    THill can also make the passes on 3rd and 7+, which Henne was useless at.

unluckyluciano and RGF like this.
  4. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Not sure of the value of making the comparison? What's your goal, Bum? Trying to ascertain something in particular or just kinda curious about the differences/similarties?

5. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm interested to know if there is a consensus on whether it was mostly coach driven or QB driven.

At times it felt like Henne was hurting the team by only focusing on Brandon. I don't think we are going to have that debate with Wallace as Ryan has clearly shown an ability to block it out, publicly stated that he throws it to the open guy and hasn't keyed in on Wallace like Henne did on Marshall.

Bpk likes this.
  6. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Marshall and Wallace are inherently different kinds of receivers. Brandon Marshall needs to be fed the ball to function properly, and you're making a commitment to make him the focus of your passing game. Mike Wallace you can't really feed the ball like that, but he's also capable of being productive without being fed the ball.

I think it's also worth mentioning that Wallace so far this season is under-performing.

7. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    I figured that into the equation. Would you argue that Wallace proved that he is more than one dimensional with his performance against Indy?

Either way, you have to tip your hat to Tannehill. This kid is spreading it out and is not trying to pick favorites. Keep feeding Hartline, mix it up to Clay and Gibson, and when Wallace is open, give him a chance with some space. Love it.

I think someone like Henne would buckle under the pressure and make a few boneheaded throws in an effort to get it to his 60 million dollar savior.

RGF likes this.
  8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    THill can also turn on his 4.6's to pick it up running, Henne was going nowhere.

As for Wallace v Marshall

To me, Cutler and Marshall have so much chemistry after yrs of playing together it is no comparison, Wallace/Tannehill will take time to develop on the field chemistry.

For example, we've yet to see THill roll out and take a shot to Wallace deep down the field.

RGF likes this.
  9. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm hoping Thill rolls out a lot on Monday.. Would love to see the coaching staff use his physical tools more.

10. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    I think if Tannehill is able to get the ball to Wallace more, then the Offense will be more successful. On the NFL drive of the week, recapping the game winning drive against Atlanta, the entire field was visible and it was clear that Thill threw to the best option on almost every play. The safety is keying more on Wallace over the top but it looks like the DB's are playing way off of Wallace so there is opportunity and I believe Wallace will still be our top yardage receiver by the time the regular season and post season are complete.

11. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    I`m glad someone brought this up actually. The MAIN reason was/is Henne himself , not Sparano, not the O.C. I can only hope the former Henne backers now see the difference between a QB with little to no upside(Henne) and a QB that seems to progress on a weekly basis( Tannehill). They`re worlds apart IMO. Henne WOULD NOT have won us the game this past week.. In fact Henne`s nickname in Jacksonville now is "Check down Chad". Big surprise there.

Bumrush likes this.
  12. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007

[​IMG]

MikeHoncho likes this.
  13. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    The difference is huge.

Henne and the team thought Henne NEEDED someone like Brandon Marshall to take this team to the next level. It resulted in identical outcomes.

Tanehill doesn't seem to NEED a premier WR to take his game to the next level. It is a luxury that will help the team, but is not required for Tannehill's development. Our improvements on offense are related to having Wallace stretch the field, but only because Tannehill is using his presence to spread the ball and improve his game.

RGF likes this.
  14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    "Check Down Chad"

Hmm..sounds familiar...:lol:

Still and all, suspect he can be an effective NFL Qb, Jax is simply dreadful.

Henne has been sacked 8 times already, who knows how often he's been hit, and this with a puny YAtt avg, rough sleding in Jville.

A Qb can win w/o being great at touch passes, he has to maximize other areas such as down the field accuracy.

RGF likes this.
  15. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Forget accuracy. Henne was decent at accuracy. The one thing he can't fix is the clutch gene. Henne would look all world one minute then make a poor throw or have 4 consecutive incompletions when we needed a first down.

I'd rather have Moore backing up Tannehill than someone like Henne that never met a game winning drive he excelled at.

RGF likes this.
  16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    There's probably a thread coming after the game (about debunking lies or something) where one of the sections is devoted to this very topic........:shifty:

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, Henne was a solid though boring Qb in Miami BR, when he had a running game he played well enough to win.

18. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    think you're wrong. It starts with Henne and his deficiencies, but Sparano and the OC compounded the problem with their conservative nature. perfect storm of crappiness.

Fin D likes this.
  19. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Well enough to win with a lead.

I will admit that Moron-o didn't help with his wildcat schemes, that only came when Henne was in a groove. He certainly wasn't coached properly by captain fistpump and old man Henning.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Still more on Henne then anyone else, seemed like he never could quite up his skill level.

Add in, Marshall was dropping Td's regularly when in Miami.

Still tossing fade routes, dropping passes in the bucket inside 20 yds of the los, Henne just did not improve in those areas.

21. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I definately agree on that point. The playcalling was bizarre. Henne and the offense would be on a roll in 09-10, and all of the sudden we'd get a Wildcat play or and end around that would lose yardage, the momentum was gone, and the drive ended. That definately falls on Henne too, being unable to overcome and block out his frustation, but playcalling certainly had a contribution to it.

22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I disagree with that point. Especially since if it was true people would call timeouts when quarterbacks are hot. They do not. Also 2 minute warnings, change of quarter and other parts of football that causes a pause in a play doesn't affect quarterbacks.

In fact, they generally help quarterbacks. The wildcat helped Henne.

23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think ultimately it wound up hurting Henne.

WC Td's became low hanging fruit during his first two years, why learn how to throw into those small windows in the endzone when the WC could produce the same Td.

W/ the wildcat, Henne would have been forced to learn how to do so, and keep in mind he had Chad Pennington to learn from during that time period.

Clearly though, Tannehill has shown more than Henne, Chad's highwater mark was his first 4 games, Ryan Tannehill's has been his last 3 games in his second season..with many more to come this year.

Another key point is Henne had an elite level LT his time here, Jake was as good as there was in the league, THill has JMart and a diminished Long his first two years and is outperforming.

24. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Tannehill has made many tight throws that are not in the endzone. There are plenty of opportunity for such a pass.

25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Most Qb's can make those throws, down in the EZ/RZ windows are smaller guys rarely get wide open, that is when they matter, Henne never really could stick those.

26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Even without the wildcat, I still think they would have run the ball instead of forcing Henne to continue to do what he sucked at.

27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He would not have gotten better unless he was forced to throw in those situations.

That is why it stunted his development.

28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I have seen little proof of that with Henne.

Henne is the only reason Henne's development was stunted, if it was possible to stunt his development since he didn't develop.

RGF likes this.
  29. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Qb's largest improvement is from yr 1 to yr 2, those were Henne's wildcat years.

30. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

Exactly the point I was making. I`m not saying Sparano and bad play calling didnt increase the low level of Henne`s play but even the best coaches in the world cant make super stars out of mediocre talent. With better coaching Henne might have had slightly better success.

31. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    It is a jump to a conclusion that the Wildcat hurt his development, rather than suggesting the easier conclusion that there wasn't much quarterback to develop.

Fineas likes this.
  32. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    :up:

33. Bpk

See this is the kind of statement that causes guys like Wallace to feel pressure to complain and demand the ball more regardless of the real
    reason he doesn't have big numbers.

Read CKs thread on how Ryan has been sacked two to three times as often as other QBs when he holds the ball over 2.5 seconds. Then tell me if you think that impacts how often Ryan can drop back and wait for Wallace to get open deep, and then for Ryan to have time to deliver the deep ball. Also, knowing this, how do we convince Sherman to continue to call 5 and 7 step drops to maximize this problem? Or could the playcalling try to minimize instead of maximize the deep ball?

I couldn't possibly know if Wallace is underperforming. He is barely being given a real chance to even perform.

34. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    There's no justification for that. I don't care if we traded forty 1st round picks for a Jerry Rice we just plucked out a time machine, it's a dumb reason.

Mike Wallace should be expected to produce more than he has, deep ball or not. We were told ad nauseam he wasn't just a deep ball player.

35. Bpk

Unreasonable. Unrealistic. And you expect Wallace to see things a way you yourself refuse to?

36. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Henne,who?

37. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm not sure what's unreasonable or unrealistic, and why I'm being held to the same standards as a guy who is getting paid tens of millions of dollars and can't shut up when he's barely got a foot in the door.

38. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    If Wallace were getting the targets I'd agree with Dpate, he has not been.

As for the $$$, it does not matter once the ball is kicked off, if Charles Clay is targeted and performs, how much $$$ Wallace is receiving.

39. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Marshall has been targeted roughly the same amount Hartline is this year. It's ridiculous Marshall was targeted on 45% or so of passes last year, especially when you have a Matt Forte. Trestman is bringing in a more balanced offense and they look good. Total offense isn't great but scoring offense they're top 3.

3-0 is 3-0 but Ted Ginn has more TDs than Mike Wallace right now, and a 20 ypc :tongue2:

40. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Chad Henne wasn't accurate enough and his timing was always off. He came into the league as an inaccurate statue and that's exactly what he is.