Henne and other Captains named

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Sep 9, 2011.

1. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Henning didn't want that out of him last year, he wanted a robot that minimized mistakes. No need to think for yourself when you're approaching the los and behind center, just do what your nice ol' Uncle Dan says young minion and everything will be just fine.

2. MrClean

This is probably the first time I've ever seen anyone say chemistry in a team sport does not mean anything. SMH.

steveincolorado likes this.
  3. MrClean

Unless one were to actually watch some such workouts, to suggest they must have been as disorganized as chickens with their heads cut off, just because without coaches present, players are incapable of anything with some direction, seems like a pretty big assumption to me.

4. MrClean

Some teams only list one Capt on offense and one on Defense. The Rams are one of those teams. Had they named 2 offensive Capts, it is likely Sam is the other one.

5. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

And all that means nothing until he actually produces in the regular season. I give him credit on that, he's done agreat job this of season and I've gone as far as to say he has given me hope he can turn around his career. But an off season of not playing football and about 4 quarters of preseason football isn't going to change my opinion on him as a player....do I hope he succeeds? Of course I'm a dolphins fan 1st and foremost, do i believe he will? No. But he has at least given me hope for this season, something I didn't have before his play in preseason.

Off this board I rant and rave about Henne making his strides to other teams fans and they off laugh at me, because they know it doesn't mean anything yet. Don't dare try to question my fan hood because I have an opinion on a player.

6. MrClean

There again, it depends on what Jake was doing physically in those workouts. He most certainly had guidelines to follow in rehab from a trained professional, he is certainly smart enough to follow them. What's he gonna do otherwise? Decide that since no coaches are present he can do something stupid regarding his rehab timetable? Also, I thought he was on PUP because of regaining range of motion in his shoulder. So how would the players only workouts have set him back, if it was concerning his knee? His knee wasn't the problem at the start of camp. He never even had off season surgery on it. From what I read, the PUP thing was due to his shoulder.

7. MrClean

The Rams only named one offensive Capt. Does anyone really believe had we named only one that it wouldn't be Jake Long? It's no disgrace for a 2nd year QB to not be named the one and only offensive Capt over a solid long time proven performer like Steven Jackson.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  8. MrClean

Uhhh, Matthew Stafford was voted a team captain.

9. MrClean

If they could only take about 90% of their posters with them when they do. LOL.

10. MrClean

Well, let's hope that after our week 17 collapse last season, that our returning players have something to prove too.

ToddsPhins and steveincolorado like this.
  11. MrClean

Or placed on IR with his injured knee that he went ahead and played on, limited movement and mobility notwithstanding.

12. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

I like how Sparano opened the door for Henne by creating a game day captain for special teams based on their performance on a week to week basis instead of how they did it last year. Not many QBs have had a Jake Long type on their team for 7 years. It’s obvious that Michigan only had 1 offensive and 1 defensive captain during Henne’s tenure and Jake looks like he may be on track to reach Anthony Munoz type status as an NFL player.

All of the experts that expect Henne to fail have good reason. His brain fart INTs late in games, when it counts, have been some of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen by a starting QB.

I was however, impressed that he took the initiative to rally the troops during the lockout when it looked like there was a pretty good chance he was going to be replaced. From what I’ve read, he was the only guy with a complete playbook and a few days of discussion with the new OC.

Even if they were only able to address the terminology aspects of the playbook during the lockout, they are way ahead of where they would be without him.

13. MrClean

You really believe Henning did not have any major influence in that decision?

ToddsPhins likes this.
  14. MrClean

Henning had an awful lot of autonomy with the offense. Far as any of us know, he went to Tony and insisted Penny be made the starter. Henning controlled in game substitutions, why would it be hard to believe he was the one behind a lineup change at QB?

Vengeful Odin and ToddsPhins like this.
  15. MrClean

All those positive comments cannot possibly be true. The naysayers here saw otherwise and they know so much better than anyone like Long or Bell, who are merely just players.

16. MrClean

Heck, Terry Bradshaw wasn't the unquestioned full time starter till like his 6th season. In his 5th season, their first SB championship, he started only half the games and may not have started that many if Joe Gilliam hadn't gotten hurt. Who knows what would have happened with the Steelers then or Terry, had Gilliam been able to stay healthy and in the lineup? Maybe they miss out on even going that year. Maybe Terry never goes on to a HOF career. Sometimes circumstances more than conscious decisions determine how things play out.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  17. MrClean

Spot on young man! Rep to you!!!

18. Third Man

Third Man Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    It didn't occur to me at the time but that's definitely what he did.

19. MrClean

One of Richard's funniest responses to Tommy. :up:

Btw, does anyone else notice Richie Incognito resembles Chris Farley? Except a little less chubby?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

smahtaz likes this.
  20. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    LOL,
    The players don't know anything, what's wrong with you?? LOL
    Only the naysayers know anything important.

21. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I know, right? That surprised me as well.

Kudos to the kid for this accomplishment nonetheless. I hope he lives up to it and really is the Quarterback we need him to be.

22. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I don't agree that 13 pts per game during Pennington's last 4 games in Henning's offense (with 2 TD & 6 INTs) is considered "very good".

23. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I can respect an opinion about a player if it differs than mine, and have respected yours many times...But I don't see that taken place at times, opinions create perceptions, good ones can influence others, I happen to believe that perception can affect human being's and their families, so when a guy stands up and takes the hit, like he has, and keeps coming, and coming, and seemingly doing it with better results, and receives a captain award because of it, and the best player on the team endorses him 100 percent, I'am gonna stick up for him a bit, he deserves it no?, and because we are all fans, and want the team to be successful, and if I'am gonna respect that opinion, all i'am lookin for is an open mind, and balance in the analysis..