1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Henne CAN do it

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin-Omenal, May 22, 2011.

1. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I have been as critical of Henne as a lot of people, but I spent last night watching some games from 09 and some from 10. Henne is not a mentally tough guy and you could see that in his play last season. When he was booed, criticized, and made mistakes he seemed to go into a shell.

My mind has changed. No QB drafted and a new OC will make a world of difference I think.

I believe in Henne.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  2. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    [​IMG]

Don't stop beliiiiiievin..

3. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    BTW, just watched Saints in 09....Henne played a solid game. But what's funny is how much flack Ginn for for the bobbled pick, turned BAD CALL that gave the Saints 7. But people didn't have much to say about Bess fumble with just over a minute to go in the half that allowed NO to get in the endzone killing our momentum.

LOL, people and their favorites.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  4. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Probably bc that was only one of the two career fumbles Bess has had.

Aqua4Ever04 and miamiron like this.
  5. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    It was still a HUGE fumble, and he also had 3 drops that game, but thanks to a malfunction one stood. I like Bess I was only pointing out the favoritism round here sometimes.

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Henne is such an oblivious SOB that he is eating Doritos and drinking Schlitz with a remote watching golf or something, dude is not phased at all by what anyone thinks about his play.

All I can say about Henne is, I am the largest Daniel Thomas fan in the world.

7. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    It's easier to give flack to a player like Ginn bc the mental problems are much more frustrating to watch, imo. Either way, we don't really need a Ted Ginn thread do we?

Bess has solidified his career, Ginn is fighting for a roster spot.

Either way, I believe we're going to see Henne win a few games this year. Maybe not lose a few more lol

8. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Never judge a book by its cover....I wouldn't be suprised if he was sitting at home in high heels putting lipstick on, people have him so messed up.

ToddsPhins, CaribPhin and djphinfan like this.
  9. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Surely you're kidding. Bess fumbled vs Nawlins, and he fumbled twice at NY in 09, one was lost the other was blown dead (mistakenly). He also fumbled vs Detroit this year and he muffed a punt vs Cincinnati. He fumbled in Jacksonville last year also. But like Fin said, Bess is a fan favorite so all of his mistakes have forgive and forget status.

10. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    bess was also undrafted.

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Henne is a blue collar guy Fin-O, of that I am certain of, that is one of the reasons why he reminds me of Jim Kelly/Kerry Collins.

I am sort of interested to see how he does with 3 step drops, to me it fits what he does do really well.

12. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11678

His mistakes are forgiven because he's a quality player, not a guy that's on the roster bubble.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  13. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I can assure you that when Bess fumbles no one on the team says, "well he's undrafted". A fumble is a fumble and Bess seems to fumble at some of the most inopportune times i.e. just as we're on the verge of strangling the life out of our opponent.

14. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    A muffed punt is not considered a fumble by the NFL so the fumbles vs NY & Cincinnati wouldn't be listed. The 2nd fumble at NY in 09 was blown dead prematurely, lucky for us b/c NY had recovered and instead of losing possession we scored the winning TD on that drive. Bess fumbled the first punt of the game vs Detroit, and the Lions recovered so the 0 fumbles listed for 2010 is flat wrong.

15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lol And again, he's a quality WR.

Ideally, he wouldn't be on returns, but we had zero options at the time. We should be set there now with Sheets, Carrol, Gates, etc.

16. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I agree w/ all of that. Hopefully those guys can handle it and allow Bess to just be a WR.

17. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Gees, I mentioned Bess had a bad game aswell and the flock starts coming....

18. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    expand please?...I'am a little concerned with the dline being so close to him, just seems like the propensity to see more tipped balls at the LOS with a three step drop might increase..

Just expand on why you think the drop fits his skillset please?

19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    The game within the game...GM, you are an excellent addition to this website imo.

GMJohnson and ToddsPhins like this.
  20. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    He's got the tools.

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    -Henne is pretty good at pre snap reads of the defense
    -Henne's arm strength can shine as 1-2-3 the ball is out with steam coming off of it, the Oline should be able to stop penetration for 2 seconds or so that process takes
    -Henne's lack of athleticism is not a hinderance with such a short drop
    -no need for max protections, the ball is coming out to quickly
    -Henne's greatest asset, toughness, is highlighted as even if a Cb blitzes Henne can absorb the hit.
    -Henne's weakness, the deep pass being accurate, is also not an issue as the routes will be shorter.

Jim Kelly used 3 and 5 step drops a ton when the Bills were rolling good in the 90's.

djphinfan likes this.
  22. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Thx DJ, I'm just trying to keep up w/ you guys man :lol:

23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Alright, put yourself in Sparano's shoes, you have to win and soon, you have staked your job on #7 and this is what you have to work with:

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/sports/Chad-Henne-Among-Most-Gun-Shy-QBs-in-NFL-121572264.html

What do you do?

Chances are excellent that no Vet Qb will be brought in, so you have what you have..

24. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    No ****. but when being compared to the scrutiny that Ginn recieved, it def. plays a role.

25. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I question those stats considering Hartline was our fastest man last year. Stats like those don't take into account how often we sent guys out deep, or how much confidence you could have with the receiver. Say, you would be more comfortable throwing to Johnny Knox deep vs. Hartline because of the added separation. It doesn't take into account Safety positioning either. One thing I dislike about outfits like PFF is that they watch the tape, come up with numbers, then disregard the tape for the numbers. I'd like for more organisations to take the play calling on both sides of the field as well as the talent into account. Two slot proficient receivers (Marshall & Bess), and one intermediate receiver (Hartline), does not make for a good deep game.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  26. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Henne homerism is like a virus. Takes over one host, transfers over to others, and no known medical prescription can cure it. Retrovirus ****HES!!!

Phins28 and ToddsPhins like this.
  27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    When you have receivers than cannot create a lot of space on the deep ball, the risk gets higher, unless your just throwin sh%$ against the wall to see if it sticks.

I wrote that in another thread but we are on the same page KM.

ToddsPhins and CaribPhin like this.
  28. Bofin

Bofin Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Henne was a 3rd year player, starting his 2nd season at the hardest position in football. He clearly made made mistakes. He made throws he prolly shouldn't have made and failed to make throws where he needed to let it fly. On and on the debate rages about his play and potential for this season, the off season the just won't end. the kid is young with a big arm, i believe he was coached hard not to make mistakes and he played that way. He listened to his coaches, he was protected by some of the very play calling which has been roasted on this forum and others.
    Will a new offensive coordinator have an impact, absolutely, will it be positive on henne, maybe. Will an improved running game help henne, one would hope so. will improved oline play help henne, one would hope so. Will another year of experience help henne, man i hope so. There are some real changes taking place here, a little more speed at wide out, rb, and te/hb if the kids can play well enough to get on the field, improved oline play,,, we hope. At the end of the day chad henne still needs to go out on the field and make better decisions, make better reads, better throws, and generally play better than last season. The argument has no answer until they get on the field, if they ever get on the field. i wish the rich and the richer could just put something together so we could have something new to discuss.

ToddsPhins and GMJohnson like this.
  29. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Henne simply cannot throw the long ball accurately, which negates the cannon he has for an arm. He stares down receivers, has bad pocket awareness, holds the ball too long, and has no footwork in the pocket. He can't sell play action because he's a horrible ball handler; he can't put arc or touch on the ball, and his decision-making leaves a lot to be desired. Other than that, I'm thrilled to have him as our quarterback.

Ask yourself: Would you trade Henne today for the 57th overall pick? If you would, it's because we didn't get value for that pick in Henne.

DolfanJake likes this.
  30. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

No.

CaribPhin and ToddsPhins like this.
  31. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I'm one of the loudest voices in the "Henne needs competition" and "may not be the guy" camp, but I wouldn't trade Henne for that pick.

He's the only starting caliber QB we have on the team. I'm interested to see the competition from Thigpen, but as much as the fact Chad Henne starting makes me un-easy, it's doubled when I think of Tyler Thigpen starting.

Also, there wasn't much available at #57 this year in the way of a starting QB (let the Mallet debate begin). So, no, I wouldn't trade Henne for the pick.

32. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    A fair question, would I trade Henne for a guarantee of the #57 pick in the Draft?

No, see him as more of a sunk cost at this point, see draft choices as total unknowns.

I also think that what he does do well is not focused on very often.

I'm not really pro, or anti, Chad Henne, but think the better questions would be:

-if Henne was on a different team, would you trade for him?
    -which Qb would you trade Henne for in a straight up deal? What other team would offer their guy for Henne in trade?

33. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    No thanks.
    Then what would we have Thigpen to start?

34. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I gave Bess a lot of grief. He was fumblelaya and dropsabrewskie that year. Last year he was good though.

35. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    The answer to that is a big fat no. I don't think there is one HC including our own HC that would trade anything of value for Henne right now. That he wouldn't command more than a 5th round pick at most after 3 years in the league tells you pretty much all you need to know about the guy.

This team will continue to be a wannabe franchise unless Henne makes almost super-human leaps an bounds as not only a leader but as a QB. His zombie personality has already turned off most DolFans, and his tragic play of the field has turned off most of the NFL head coaches. He is an unlovable & horrible QB.

I still remain hopeful the next regime will finally bring in a REAL QB.

36. MrClean

you say that like it is a known fact, when in fact it isn't, but rather just your opinion. Whatever Kevin Kolb brings in a trade, Henne is worth more, because he is at least as talented and he has done more, performance wise, in the NFL. IMO. IMO means "In my opinion". Because that is what I expressed. It is a nice idea to not spout one's opinions as if they were a fact. JMO...or "just my opinion". ;) Now, see there, I added a winking smilie face, which makes everything all ok.

Your thing about his having a zombie like personality that has turned off most Dolfans is again just your opinion, one I do not support. He doesn't express a lot of emotion, most of the time, but that does not make him like a zombie. Perhaps you could relate to him better if he were really animated like a monkey in a tree? I like that he keeps his emotions on an even keel. Also for anyone to say he is horrible, is laughable at best...unless there is a definition of the word I am not aware of. Unlovable? I really do not need to love any NFL QB personally, be it agape or eros love. YMMV. You know his "play of the field" has turned off most NFL coaches, how? Did you take a telephone survey of all NFL coaches or what? Was there a league wide survey I missed? :lol:

ToddsPhins, CaribPhin and slickj101 like this.
  37. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    In your view, to me DC, AZ, Carolina, Seattle, he's proven more then McCoy had in Cleveland, SF, Henne would be instant upgrades in those places.

Horrible Qb? He had 3 bad games to end 2010, welcome to developing a young Qb, it happens.

Your choice, I suspect this regime will be here for quite awhile longer.

38. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I dunno MC. I think you're splitting hairs here. I don't think it's necessary to put JMO or IMO after every demonstrative statement a person makes. I just saw him as being emphatic in his opinion. When he said most Dolfans, he's probably polling the litter he sees here that actually don't view Henne in a positive light moving forward. I don't see anything wrong there.

For me, I think something is fact when I see citations. Toddphins & Padre are both very good at showing what is fact and what is opinion, by sharing those links. I see where you're coming from, but there's a lot in there to debate rather than utilizing the acronyms to show opinion.

BTW, there's a lot I don't like about Chad Henne. But, I love the even-keel attitude. The QB should never be too high or be too low. However, I always believe there is a time when they need to show joy and need to get pissed off. I've seen Chad Henne fist pump, spike the football and show love the game a ton--as much as Pennington. I'd like to see him get in Marshall's face a little, but I agree. I don't want an emotional train wreck at QB (cough cough Vince Young).

i won't get into it here either, but I think the whole mental toughness thing is bogus also...there will be some thread that talks about Henne and that in about 30 seconds though, hahaha.

MrClean likes this.
  39. MrClean

Ok, I can respect that. I realize you are not a big Henne guy, and that is cool, but when you express your reasons why, at least you do not sound like a raving lunatic. I guess most everyone here knows when something is fact and when it is hyperbole. I know I can, even though hyperbole doesn't ever make the poster sound like anyone worth giving credence to. I'll probably continue to keep using IMO a lot, because that is just what I do.

rdhstlr23 likes this.
  40. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    For goodness' sakes, and how does anyone know he cannot or will not develop such traits?

That is the thing with Henne, we have not seen a young Qb developed in Miami, not in your memory Aqua, there are good reasons to think his third yr of starting he will show more in the way of TD production.