1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Henne has strong arm but shouldn't be given free rein

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Sep 30, 2009.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Chad Henne has strong arm but shouldn't be given free rein
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...lphins-s093sbsep30,0,6552645.column?track=rss

the 23rd and GISH like this.
  2. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Hell it doesnt even need to be flys down the sideline for 50 yard bombs. A handful of strikes across the middle, 15 yards to keep safties pinned back out of the box, some 10 yard outs etc. A few tries deep mixed in.

Just add a little variety, thats all we need, not to be so damn predicatable.

3. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    Like he is reading this board.

4. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Please, remember last years game?
    Start the game with play ation 50 yard bomb to Ginn

5. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i am confident that there will be a handful of 20+ yard attempts this week ... and every week from here on ...

6. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    To get the defense thinking all he needs to do is overthrow Ginn on a long bomb and show the defense he has a strong arm. I still think Ginn has the speed to get open on a long pass, now whether he catches it is another story.
    If Henne hits Ginn on a 50 yard bomb I can just imagine the hooping and hollaring that will be happening in Dolphin fan's living rooms all over the country.

7. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't think anybody would advocate that Henne be given free rein. In fact, I expect him to struggle even though I'm bullish on his future. I do think that we should expect him to play a Matt Ryanesque, play action type of game. I would hope that he has a deep option on at 60% percent of the pass plays. That would be about 15 of the 25 pass attempts he should get. Of those 15, I hope he makes the longer attempt 3-5 times. On the few times we've tried to throw deep to Ginn he's been open by two to five steps each time. They should have emphasized that with CP. Sparano keeps complaining about the lack of chunk yardage, well heres one of the avenues they should use to fix that.

8. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    IMO, no QB should be given free rein until he proves he can dominate an opposing defense. Right now, that means Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, and Carson Palmer. Anyone else should be under the control of the coaching staff.

Hopefully Henne will make the most of his downfield opportunities early on. That will do a lot to secure the confidence of the coaching staff, as well as command respect from opposing defenses.

[​IMG]

9. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    If I'm a sportswriter I'm lurking all of these boards. And the VIP. :up:

mbmonk likes this.
  10. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Henne wouldn't have looked nearly as bad in SD if GInn could have caught catchable passes. I think he wasn't used to the heat on the throws and the throws were far from perfect.

Henne will make some mistakes no doubt about it. I just hope he can overcome those and feel more comfortable as the game wears on, and as the season wears on. He just needs some better motions, check safeties and corners off and feel pressure better. But no one can expect him to play with presence this early. It will take time along with some hard lessons learned (ie: the pick 6 last week.)

I do expect many more deeper routes this week. I think it will benefit Ronnie and Ricky the most. I think the coaches probably have worked alot this week on giving him a safety valve like ronnie in the flat if no one's open, just to keep his confidence up so he's not forcing throws that aren't there.

11. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    This is the perfect opportunity for Henne. Bills have a banged up secondary, and I want to see Henne show his arm.

12. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Henning not Henne calls the shots
    should be remembered that Chad Henne is a consummate starter
    he started eight straight seasons from h.s. through college
    & has had an excellent one & a half year understudy with one of the greats

all he has to do is execute the play with precision & demonstrate leadership on the field

we will have all the answers in 2009 :yes: it is what it is

no place to hide:couch:

Zeke0123 likes this.
  13. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Teams are going to stack the line against us to stop the run....they think that the run and the Wildcat (also a run but different) are the only things that we have right now. Buffalo is going to come out with 8 or 9 in the box against us on the first few plays. I think Chad has to hook up deep within the first 3-5 plays or we are sunk for the day.

Hopefully Henne will have a good preformance, and show us all what he's made of. He's had a good mentor, lets see if he's learned anything.