1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Henne not guaranteed to start in 2010

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Jan 22, 2010.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Henne for 2010

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Thigpen!

dolfan7171 likes this.
  3. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    This is the way it should be. He still has a lot of holes in his game, such as pocket presence...which you could say is the most important skill for a QB.

Thigpen needs to be given a chance to compete, as does Pennington if in fact he is back next year.

SargeZ33, 2socks, Silverphin and 3 others like this.
  4. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    This is not news, it just refers to Sparano's coachspeak at the end of the year.

Henne is the guy, book it.

cdz12250, SCall13, fins1 and 12 others like this.
  5. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    It's very likely that yes he is indeed the guy.

However I dont think he showed me enough to say that if Thigpen comes in next season, impresses in minicamp and plays well in preseason that he shouldnt be given a chance.

I'm high on Thigpen though, have been even when he was a Cheif.

miamiron, Bpk and dolfan7171 like this.
  6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Should be a great TC and PreSeason, sometimes I think I'm the only one who thought Henne's "depth perception" was Sparano benching him for throwing a dummy Int along the sidelines against Pittsburgh.

I like Thiggy's mobility and his arm is better than I thought it would be, and White has to know he had better show more than he has or he will be inactive on game days.

Competition is the great driver of improvement.

gafinfan and dolfan7171 like this.
  7. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    What bothers me about Henne aside from pocket presence, is that I feel like he "checks up" instead of checking down at times. What I mean is that he will look for the short man, look intermediate, and then look short again. The only times I remember him throwing deep were when it was his first read, and even then he tried to force a few and didnt make other progressions.

Looking down the field and pocket presence. If he can get those two things going he'll be here the next 10+ years.

Bpk and dolfan7171 like this.
  8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Chad Henne's game just needs work, he needs more touch on his screen passes, needs to build rapport with the Wr.

Put it this way, against Pitt, DBess had what, a 45yd TD reception directly outside the hashmarks?

Henne could only use Bess on intermediate and short throws, every Dolphins fan was surprised to see "slow but sure" DBess blow by the steelers corner and score a TD like that one.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  9. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Agreed. In fact anointing Henne as starter at this point is pretty much saying that his body of work this past season was satisfactory. Bottom line is that it wasn't. He still has a lot of room for improvement and he needs to know it. The best way to show him that he has a ways to go is by not promising him the starting job. You tell him he still has to earn it.

10. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Pocket presence or pocket awareness?

His pocket presence is way beyond his years. He stands stoically in the pocket even when it's collapsing like a black hole around him. Now his pocket awareness could use a little work, but that could be because a plethora of things.

The guy stands tall in the pocket. He is very cool in that sense. That's one of the things about him that impresses me so much. He's as cool as the other side of the pillow when he's in the thick of it.

11. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I don't buy it.
    Henne's their guy and they know it.
    Sparano's just trying to help keep Henne motivated for the offseason.

12. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I highly doubt Bess' original route called for him to run deep and outside the hashes. I seem to remember Thigpen being flushed out of the pocket and he found Bess (who likely got open because Thigpen go outside the pocket, similar to a pass Henne had where he worked right and Bess worked away from the defense to the left and would've scored on a better throw).

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Nah, that was Bess's route, Thigpen was pressured but Bess just ran a Go route directly up the field, the steelers Db (Townsend) was 4 steps behind him.

14. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i just picture the entire room bursting out in laughter after Sparano said that

finyank13, FinFan_Est.1984 and SICK like this.
  15. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I take them as being two parts of the same whole. He stands TOO TALL in the pocket, and has no sense of backside pressure whatsoever at times IMO.

I've said it a few times, but he reminds me of Byron Leftwich (when he was actually a good starter) with a bit more mobility, and a little less awareness.

16. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I don't think it's impossible for Henne to lose his job. Ultimately, you have to perform. If there's someone better available, then that person gets the nod. Justin Smiley lost his starting job because he wasn't doing well enough. Despite the long learning curve of the quarterback position, Henne shouldn't be exempt from accountability: after all, quarterback is the most important position on the team. Quality QB play can overcome deficiency at a multitude of other positions, while bad QB play will kill even the best team.

Henne showed enough to warrant being the favorite to start in 2010, but he did not show enough to make himself exempt from competition in training camp.

17. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    I dont know. From recent years in the NFL, competition at the QB position hasnt turned out particularly well for most teams. It actually creates problem. I think knowing your starting QB going into the offseason allows for that particular player and staff prepare for the season for a longer time. It also provides confidence to the player and allows him to focus solely on preparing for the season and not a competition.

To me, unless there is an injury, there is no reason why Chad Henne should not be our starting QB next season. He has done enough to prove he is more than capable.

dukane5 and dolfan7171 like this.
  18. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    QB competitions don't generate controversies; poor play by the starting QB and good play from the backup generates QB controversies. Carolina has a QB controversy because Matt Moore looked good in real games while Jake Delhomme has struggled.

Giving Tyler Thigpen, Pat White, and perhaps another rookie QB a legitimate chance to show what they can do is not a QB controversy.

19. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Does anyone really believe that Henne won't be the starter next year? It would take an absolutely colossal collapse on his part to lose the job during the offseason and preseason.

dolfan7171 and FinsAreLife like this.
  20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Can't have 3 Des, there are only so many practice balls to go around and White and Henne need all the coaching they can receive, so does Thiggy.

Were would a #4 Qb fit?

21. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Jeff Ireland seems to follow the Ron Wolf philosophy of drafting or otherwise acquiring a QB every year. It worked out with Josh McCown; we signed him for peanuts and got a draft pick out of him.

I would be very surprised if we don't have a fourth QB in training camp. Whether or not we carry a fourth QB on the opening day roster is another story entirely (and I don't think we will.) But I think we grab a QB in the 6th or 7th, give him a look-see in training camp, and maybe sign him to the practice squad. Alternatively, we sign someone else's QB washout to the practice squad.

22. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Bingo!

You nailed it, Sparano is all about not handing anything to anybody, everybody has to earn it. And if Henne knows he still has to earn it, he'll be a much better QB when he gets the starting nod for game 1.

dolfan7171 and PSG like this.
  23. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Is it bad that not even your head coach back you as the starter? I mean who is it other than Henne?

24. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I can see where he can stand like a statue in the pocket. He definitely needs to purchase a new set of eyes to paste on the back of his helmet. The best in the business is Peyton. He's always moving his feet and sliding in the pocket. Chad should emulate that style.

Sometimes, though, it's beautiful to see him undisturbed with all of the chaos around him. He definitely needs to polish up his overall awareness of the defensive pressure. I did notice that, later in the season, he did get a little better (at times) of feeling that pressure. I also noticed (at times) that he was getting better at, either, throwing away the ball or taking the sack.

I think we'll see a much improved Henne, especially with the nuances of playing QB, next year. He may still not put up jaw-dropping numbers, but I'm confident his overall body of work should be better.

25. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Couldn't have said it any better myself.

26. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Henne has all the tools, he played very well for a 1st year starter on a team with a ton of injuries and mediocre WR talent. Look at a guy like Sanchez, he's played like crap for a lot of the season but his defense and running game have made him look good. Henne has actually had to put points on the board and did a good job of it.

I honestly think its a joke to think he won't be starting next year, he proved enough this year to get another shot at leading this team for another year. He would have to show up at camp 20lbs overweight and play like crap all of training camp and in every preseason game for the coaching staff to not play him.

This was a rough year for him with our choke defense, Ronnie going down and injuries everywhere on the team, he played well. Does he need to improve? Yes, but he will only do that by getting playing experience.

dolfan7171, FinFan_Est.1984 and Eop05 like this.
  27. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Thigpen........Pennington/other??????

May the best man win:up:

Competition is good!!!

28. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Henne shouldn't be guaranteed the spot and IMO no other QB in the NFL should be guaranteed a starting spot either no matter who they are and yes i mean Tom Brady and Payton Manning everyone in the NFL should have to earn there spot every year

dolfan7171 likes this.
  29. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Someone that could post a higher QB rating then 75.2:up:

Game on!!!!!

Competition is good and will make Henne better:up:

30. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    it will be between Henne and Thigpen

31. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Wow, all I see is talk about Thigpen... LMAO!

Where'd all the infatuation with Pat White go?
    About time people see him for what he was drafted for.

As for Henne not guaranteed to start.
    Should he be?
    I'm glad Coach stated it that way.
    Henne has showed GREAT promise but he certainly isn't done growing and hasn't earned a guaranteed spot yet.

He should continue to be challenged.
    That being said, if you think they aren't counting on him being the man then you're kidding yourselves. If he takes a step back so does our entire team.

2socks likes this.
  32. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Sorry but you don't disrespect guys like Manning or Brady, they are starters no coach would make an idiotic statement like Manning needs to earn his job next year. They earned their spot by playing at MVP caliber the previous year, they don't have to make a good showing in camp the following year when they are playing like MVPs year in and year out. There is such a thing as loyalty and appreciation for what a player does for your franchise.

33. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    And when their ability to play effectively drops off, they'll be replaced. Nothing is forever except warm memories and government programs.

Not every career ends like John Elway's. They usually end like Brett Favre's stint with the Packers: being cut or traded.

34. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    You think Jimmy would have tried to get rid of Marino????

35. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Isn't that exactly what Jimmy Johnson tried to do?

36. NYJ

NYJ J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

Oct 8, 2009
    New Jersey
    As a Jets fan, I hope they don't start Henne. If I were a Dolphins fan, I'd want Henne all the way and I'd want Pennington off the roster.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  37. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I have read stuff and heard rumors but never was anything confirmed or anything..................do you really think he was trying.

Would you mind elaborating?? Thanks in advance:up:

38. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    i honstly wouldnt care who you are if you get out played by your back up you are going to the bench if i was the coach you would have to earn ever minute of playing time on my team no matter who it is i dont care what they did in Previous years its a new year new team and you have to earn that spot would manning and brady have the edge over the other QB's yea of course they would but if they dont play good they wouldnt be starting the chances of someone beating out manning and brady are highly unlikly but i wouldnt want them feeling like they are just handed the job i would want my players giving 100% at every practice and if they dont do it they will be seeing the second team untill they show me other wise

39. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    i agree i do want pennington off the team i never wanted him on the team and i hope henne does get the starting job but if he gets beat out so be it

40. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Tough but necessary