Henne not guaranteed to start in 2010

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Jan 22, 2010.

1. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Boooooooooooooo!!!!!

Pennington has a 20+ point higher QB rating......plays his heart out......100% every play

Why the hate????

2. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    what?

3. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    if pennington had a little stronger arm he would be a perfect QB he is really smart i just like QBs that can fit it through a tight window and who can make all the throws

4. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    the way you would handle it.......it's a tough approach. Meaning you earn what you get ..............every play..........................every down............weather its practice or game time

It's a tough but necessary way to be.......it makes a player better

It takes "More" to be #1

5. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    that is how i would do it i dont want anyone thinking the have the job in hand

6. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Unfortunately, That guy retired 10 years ago. There is only 2 other QB's right now who have that ability and that is Payton Manning and Drew Brees. Watching that cols game last week.......man,...... Manning is a special QB. No one manages the game like he does. The only problem though is the colts live and die with Him ....so.......................

I like Pennington because of his heart. The guy is a warrior and I'd take him into battle with me any day.....because I know he's got my back. Making all the throws.....there wasn't many I saw, if any, that he didn't make. It's the offense we play. I don't need to tell you that Henne didn't do nearly as well as Pennington. His 75.2 vrs 97.4 rating tells us that. Plus the fact that we were 11-5 instead of 7-9 helps a little to. I'm not saying or putting 4 losses on Henne's back, but it's not hard to think that a few differences in the Buffalo game, Indy game and New Orleans games couldn't have got us there. I am also not saying it's Henne's fault....I'm just meerly pointing it out:up:

7. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    i agree there is many QBs who can be like i want them to be but that is ok i just want someone with a little stronger arm that the ball wont floot on even when he throws it hard

8. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    ????Thigpen

9. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    u like thigpen he has the tools to be a very good QB and i love QBs that know how to run also it makes defense more scared

10. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I say we get Mike Vick and run the wild Kitty every play:wink2:

11. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    i like mike vick as a player not so much as a person but then again everyone makes mistakes but Mike vick is a very dangerous he was one of my favorite players to watch when he was with the falcons you know a big play can happen at any time when he is back there

12. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The conflict between Jimmy Johnson and Dan Marino is pretty well documented by now. I'm not sure what insight you're looking for.

13. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I now there was conflict. But, to get rid of the best QB in history.....well maybe that's why we got beat 62-7:wink2:

14. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I know. I think the man made a mistake. He paid the price and deserves another chance. That is just my opinion. I live in Atlanta so..................well maybe I feel differently because of it. We still don't know how much he personally was involved other then bank rolling it. It couldn't have been that much because the chances of him getting caught were too large. I'm not defending him or sticking up for him I am just saying there may be more to the "real" story that we don't know. It was wrong.....he paid the price......time to move on. He would add huge problems for opposing teams if he were on this team with Ronnie and Ricky.................man one can only dream

15. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    i agree with him starting if he were to start that would be scary i dont want him to go to the bills we seem to strugle against teams that have a running QB and we play the bills 2 times a year andi would hate to play him twice a year

16. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Sorry but your examples with Brady and Manning are ridiculous, no coach thats ever coached in the history of the league would even consider threatening these guys at this point in their careers. They'd come into camp with the starting job given to them, they've earned it, being a tough coach is one thing, being an idiot that chases hall of fame players away is another. A guy like Henne hasn't earned the job yet, these guys have.

17. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I like Thigpen and yes he should be given a chance to compete, but if he is the starter next year, than we are in trouble and its back to the drawing board.

I expect Henne not only to compete, but blow away any competition in camp.

SICK likes this.
  18. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I think your expectations are a little lofty Greg.
    I really like how far Henne came this year, and I do think he's gonna be a good QB, BUT, Thiggy is really going to push him the entire way.
    On the upside, regardless of who wins the starting job, I think we will be very capable with the first guy coming off the bench.
    FTR: I do think Henne will be the starter, but I don't think it will be an easy decision.
    -
    -
    -
    Off topic Greg, I'm headed to Wolf Creek week after next :hi5:

19. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    the love for thigpen is hilarious. the most popular player is always the backup :rolleyes:

henne is the guy

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  20. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    I will be shocked if Henne doesnt start. IMO it is a tool to make sure he shows he wantss it and works for it

21. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Yeah, and Satan will be throwing snowballs on opening day. LOL

22. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    I think White better start running some routes in the off season and spending the majority of time doing so
    maybe some punt return practice...otherwise

cdz12250 and azfinfanmang like this.
  23. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I want Henne as our starter next season, but who on Earth would not want Pennington as this team's backup to Henne? It would help Henne to have Penny continuing to mentor Henne, and you'd have a solid pro bowl caliber backup ready to step in if Henne goes down. I don't see any logic in your statement. especially after Penny took this 1-15 team to the AFCE Champions and playoffs.

I would LOVE it if Penny would accept the backup role here and in a year or two become a QB coach for us.

FinFan_Est.1984 likes this.
  24. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    look for the return of Pennington & a 3 way competition for the start
    the IceMan
    will retain the franchise status & be much the better for the challenge

25. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I don't see why people think that there's any chance of signing Pennington back for next season. He's a UFA

The only way we sign him back is if it's for trade purposes. Sign him, showcase the fact that he can still throw the ball and his arm hasn't completely fallen off in TC then wait until late August for a team that's in a dire situation at QB and then trade him to that team for a 2nd day pick.

That's the only way I see Pennington coming back. Especially with the way Thigpen has shown he can play in this league and be at the very worst a quality backup QB.

Either way. Resigning Pennington, IMO, means the FO will want a draft pick for either Thigpen or Pennington come late August/Early September

26. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    seems to me the return of Chad Pennington makes a lot of sense & is a probability

PhinsRock and 2socks like this.
  27. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    This was probably done by Tony to to motivate Chad, and let him know and the other players there is no given on the team. There will be some very tough decisions to make for Tony if this team is going to continue to move forward. I liked what Tyler did in KC, and I am glad we have him here. There will be some good competition going into camp. I still believe it is Chad's job. If Pennington doesn't find a team to play for I would love for some way to find a spot on this team as a coach.

28. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I don't, and I like Pennington, but would prefer for him to go somewhere he can at least compete to be the Starter, the NFL is Qb starved he can still play, let him tryout.

Chad Henne will have to put on his big boy pants now PR, if he doesn't I could see Thiggy giving him a run for the job.

This will be an awesome preseason, three young Qb's, two with 10+ starts and all sorts of physical ability, and White who can literally only get better.

29. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Pennington brings too much to the table
    as a player/coach, potential starter & backup
    to overlook. his return in some capacity is probable
    I believe the Iceman will prevail
    having said that
    he is a better QB w/ Pennington mentoring him

two Chads are better than one:yes:

miamiron likes this.
  30. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    What makes you think his return is probable?

31. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Why would Pennington come back? He could have a decent shot at starting in some other situations and coming back for less money to backup the guy you taught for a year seems a bit degrading to me personally. Pennington has a lot to offer, I would think a team that is looking to draft a Qb early, someone like Oakland, Washington, Seattle, etc might want to sign him for a stop gap starter/mentor like we did. Who knows, he might be ready to retire as well. I think our Qb situations is pretty set with Henne/Thigpen/White.

Eop05 likes this.
  32. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    i dont care how other coachs would do it if you are a new coach it is a great way to get respect from the other players NO ONE in the NFL should be garunteed the starting spot on team i dont care who they are that is just stupid if you cant play better then your back up you shouldnt be playing over him there is no doubt in my mind that Payton Manning and Tom Brady would win but if they dont they will relize that they need to give in 100% on the field just like everyone else i would treat all my players the same way and if you give 100% you would have a great shot at being on my team but if you slack off because you have been good in the past there is a great chance you would become the back up until you start trying 100% like ever other player football players are football players there are always new players coming into the league and if you dont give it your all you are going to be Benched traded or cut

33. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Might have something to do with no snow, 60 degrees on a cold winter day and Sunshine 365 days a year. Let's not forget that at this point in Henne's career Pennington is probably a slight upgrade to our offense over Chad Henne.:up:

34. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Pennington would rather be a starting QB in competitive games in Siberia rather than hold a clipboard in warm and sunny Miami

35. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    How do you figure that? Against the opponents of 2008 perhaps but against what Henne faced without Brown maybe not.

36. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    So Penny is signing with the Bills then? :lol:

37. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    They said he had a eye problem in the second half depth perception is a eye problem.

38. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    He said competitive games...we all know the Bills dont play those.

Eop05 likes this.
  39. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    `

At that point in Dan's career he was only a shadow of the "hall of fame Dan"
    All coaches have the philosophy of what can you do for me now not what have you done years ago

40. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    ya know, it's funny you say that, because that's exactly the type of team that would sign Pennington and draft a QB.

Raiders
    Bills
    Redskins
    Seahawks

I could definitely see one of those teams picking him up

Why would Pennington elect to stay on a team and hold the clipboard when most likely one of those teams will be offering him a starting role with their team in 2010