1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Henne vs. Sanchez: Sophomore Slump

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da-PhinZ, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Da-PhinZ

Da-PhinZ New Member

May 9, 2010
    Menifee
    Who do you guys think will have a better chance of shaking off the sophomore slump(Henne/Sanchez)?

Both have new offensive tools, a solid running game, and hopefully a good defense on our part. My money is on Henne because this off-season there is no doubt that it is Henne's job. Also the o-line I think got better, and more depth along with that fact that I'm a homer.

What do you guys think???

2. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    Good thing it is Henne's third season...

:knucks:

3. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami

I agree I think Henne has a better shot at avoiding the Sophomore jinx.

• 4 Year starter in college
    • 3rd NFL season (second as a starter)
    • Chad Pennington
    Both QBs have solid lines, solid ground games and plenty of weapons. I think the reasons listed above give Henne a better shot at avoiding any slump but on the same hand I wouldn't be to surprised either if he or both QBs stumbled a bit this season.

4. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Henne would do better this season. How could he not do better.....

5. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Why do people always forget that this isn't Henne's second year in the league?

Pariah and Phinatic425 like this.
  6. Topdawg13

Topdawg13 New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Indiana
    Henne wins this argument, because of this alone.

[​IMG]

HULKFish and Trowa like this.
  7. villain the foe

villain the foe Banned

Oct 5, 2009
    He doesnt have better targets or a better running game to complement him.

Sanchez will have a better 2nd year, which to also be honest wouldnt be very hard to do (20 ints, less than 3,000yds passing). However, He has the best 4 targets collectively in the NFL (Holmes, Braylon, Cotch, Keller), with the best Oline in football and the best running game in football.

You also have to take into account that he'll see the field much more often than Henne because our defense will have plenty 3 and outs as well given that we have the #1 defense in the league.

Sanchez has more of a chance to have a more productive year than Henne.

Experience wise, Henne has the upper hand, just to be fair.

8. Da-PhinZ

Da-PhinZ New Member

May 9, 2010
    Menifee
    :sigh:Yes technically it may be his third year. But how many starts does he have?His first year was on the bench, his second year he only got to play because penny got hurt. He started the majority of last year so I consider that his first true year. This year to me, is his true second year as a starter, Mark Sanchez and Henne have similar standards that their fans have put on them and similar starting experience, so who do you think has the better chance of succeeding during this next upcoming season?

9. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    HAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHH
    ahahahahaahahahahah!!

10. villain the foe

villain the foe Banned

Oct 5, 2009
    You can call it his 1st TRUE year all you like, Henne is a Vet now. He may not have been on the field for 3 years, but he was certainly around the game and learning for an entire year, a year in which Sanchez doesnt have under his belt.

I do get your reasoning though, dont get me wrong, but at the same time you cant negate the mental aspect of the game and the year of absorbing that information.

Henne will be a good QB and I think will still be the Fins QB 6 years from now.

11. villain the foe

villain the foe Banned

Oct 5, 2009
    Seems pretty funny, until you get to the point where you actually have to name the team that has the better 4 targets & Oline.

:no: You cant. :tongue2:

If I were to pick though I'd say the closest would be Minnesota, though that would be based on the 4 targets but their O'line is nothing like what we've put together.

12. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    ROFL

I mean, seriously, what the hell are you smoking? I'll give you #1 defense in the league, though I don't even think that is true. But Colston, Meachem, Henderson, Shockey > Holmes, Edwards, Cotchery and Keller. Baltimore, Miami, Atlanta and New England all have better O-Lines than the Jets. And the person who made your running game so strong has gone to KC. You've hitched your running game wagon, which is the only thing you have going for you, to an unproven Shonn Greene and a broken down Tomlinson. Good luck.

HULKFish likes this.
  13. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Now that I'm done laughing,
    BEST RECEIVERS!?!?
    1. Santonio Holmes is really good.
    2. Braylon is wildly inconsistent
    3. Crotchery is a solid player
    4. Keller has potential.

Best O-Line!??!
    D'Brick and Mangold are really good. The rest are average. Plus, you just cut a starter who elevated D'Brick's game. No one knows how he'll do without his security blanket. He was average without Faneca. Average!

Best Run Game!???!!
    This is the most laughable. Shon Greene is an unknown quantity whose never had to be a workhorse. LaDanian Tomlinson is over the hill.

jets suck and Sanchez will never pan out because while he may be handsome and charming and have the "it factor", he's just not very good at throwing the football.

Trowa likes this.
  14. villain the foe

villain the foe Banned

Oct 5, 2009
    I can see your point picking the superbowl champions. Truth be told, thats more Breez than anything, but okay. Shockey is a has been, Cholston is a beast, Meachem and Henderson are good as well.

You can name all of the other teams having better offensive lines than us but just like i have to respect the superbowl champs that you just presented you have to respect that we exited this season with the best O'line and just replaced the kink in the armor in Faneca.

Oh, and watch how the run opens up with a speedy Greene, a passting threat LT, and an ellusive McKnight. Thanks for the luck, but this wont be luck...I can gaurantee that.

15. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Wayne, Clark, Garcon, Collie/Gonzalez
    Colston, Henderson, Meachem, Shockey as I already said
    Johnson, Walter, Davis, Daniels
    Rice, Berrian, Harvin, Shiancoe as you said
    Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Sam Aiken, Rob Gronkowski

just to name a few.

And all those teams have much better QBs throwing to those targets.

16. villain the foe

villain the foe Banned

Oct 5, 2009
    Name the team then? You finished laughing. Name the football team that has both a better 4 targets AND a better Oline. Dont name 3 and 4 teams that individually you could have an argument with in a specific area. Im talking about 1 team that has both a better 4 targets and O'line. You can laugh again if you like, just answer the question when you're done.

17. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    New Orleans Saints have a better receiving corps. They also have a better o-line. Their RB corps is better too. Their fans are smarter as well.

phineas64, late again and HULKFish like this.
  18. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, Roy Williams, Jason Witten
    Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, James Jones, Jermichael Finley

just to name a few more

HULKFish likes this.
  19. villain the foe

villain the foe Banned

Oct 5, 2009
    Trowa was a great help out, but they dont have a better o'line....this is statistical fact. I'll give them the edge on the WR's though I believe AGAIN that this is more Drew Breez than anything else.

You can talk about who's smart or not, that bothers me none. For the Jets to even be compared to the Champions right now is quite "smart" to recognize. :up:

20. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    The point you're missing is that your receivers aren't that damn good. Your offensive line is top 5, I'll give you that. And your running game WAS, key word WAS good last year but it wont be nearly as good this year with Thomas Jones gone and the sooner you wake up and realize that just because the Jets are the offseason media darlings doesn't mean **** except that when you **** up they'll say you crumbled under the expectations instead of just saying you suck.

HULKFish and Pariah like this.
  21. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I believe his little game is to name a team with a better receiving corps AND o-line. I already named the Saints. Minnesota and Dallas fit that bill too.

22. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Show me the statistics. Why did you put the word smart in quotations?

23. villain the foe

villain the foe Banned

Oct 5, 2009
    your boy talks about "smart" fans yet you're showing that Dolphin fans arent good at following what they just read.

Again, who has the best 4 target AND Oline than the jets. 1 team!....I'll say it again,....1 team.

Also, Roy Williams is damn near being ran out of town, Jason Witten is a beast, Miles Austin is a Beast (though he has to show that this is consistent...but I'll give you credit for this) and Dez Bryant hasnt had a pass thrown his way.

Green Bay has a solid core of Targets as well, though their O-line sucks, giving up 50 sacks last year which turned into 10 fumbles as well. Sanchez was sacked 26 times.

Try again.

24. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    I would take Marshall alone over the Jets recievers. Not to mention Hartline and Bess are on the rise. But that is besides the point. Holmes is good, but not great. Braylon Edwards has brick hands, Cotchery is decent but Heller is a good TE.

Henne did better than Sanchez last year with one of the worst revieving cores in the league, adding Marshall with obviously improve his game significantly. And Sanchez doesn't even have Thomas Jones to bail him out any more.

The Dolphins also have a better run blocking OL and better running backs. Shonn Greene has not proven himself yet and McKnight has not gotten off to a very good start.

25. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    See, you're asking the question to get the answer you want, which I commend actually. There probably isn't a team in this league that has a better O-Line and 4 targets than the Jets. Saints, Colts, Vikings maybe. But it's not because of your WRs it's because of your O-Line, which I've already given credit for being top 5. That's basically like saying "Name 1 team in the NFL that has a better QB AND LB corp than the Colts." You can't, because even though their LB corp isn't that good they have a top 3 QB. So basically I deem your question invalid. Jets have a top 5 O-Line and probably 12th-14th receiving corp.

Phinatic425 likes this.
  26. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    What I think (know) get's lost in these discussions is just how good our running game was before we got hit with a rash of injury's. Not only did we lose Ronnie for the season but we lost our third down back and just as critical and always seems to get swept aside is we had significant injury's to both our guards and our center. The entire middle of our offensive line was on crutches and yet we still ended up ranked 4rth in the NFL.

Don't for an instant sell our running game short. I will put our running game up against anyone's. Including yours.

Ps. Other than that guys VTF is a good guy. You may or may not agree with him but he's not here to stir things up. :up:

27. villain the foe

villain the foe Banned

Oct 5, 2009
    :yes: Im glad that you see my point then, and I commend you that you commend the question...then you go f'k it up with saying that the question is invalid when its MY question. thats just silly. The Jets have the best receiving corp and Oline on 1 team. And as for your top 5 Oline, dont knock us down 4 spots because you're pissed at my question. And as for the receiving Corps you should be ashamed of yourself to even state that there's at minimum 11 football teams with better 4 targets. lol. You're a clown.
    Holmes is #1 in YAC, Cotch doesnt drop passes, Braylon is powerful, big body target with speed and Keller is a match up problem for every team in the league. Yet you can tell me that you can name 11 or more football teams in the league with a better corp yet it was hard to name a few teams without naming Dez Bryant, a rookie who has never padded up lmao. No doubt sweatheart!

I know the type of question that I was asking....because I knew what point I wanted to make.

As for your Colts comparison though, the QB/LB thing would have been better if you would have just kept it on one side of the ball as I did

I'll help you. Question: what team has a better LB Tandem/CB tandem than the Jets right now? (Cro/Revis & Harris/Scott).

28. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    You are seriously overrating Marshall. You are smoking if you think Holmes is good, not great and then say Marshall is better than all 3 WRs combined. I'd take 1250 yards and a 15 ypc anyday of the week, those are outstanding numbers.

If sanchez has any improvement in his game Cotchery Holmes and Edwards is a very potent combo.

villain the foe and LandShark13 like this.
  29. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    Take that Jets Homerism somewhere else, it's as obscene as Rex Ryan's face.

30. villain the foe

villain the foe Banned

Oct 5, 2009
    THANK YOU FOR NOT BEING A HATER. I like that. I have defended Marshall on Jetnation consistently. I think he is a beast of a WR for the fins no doubt. But this "Holmes is ok" bullshyte has to stop. This guy is a beast on top of the fact that he was MVP of the biggest game of his life which means he shows up when it counts.

Marshall is going to be a problem for the AFC East for years and years, thats just the truth. But some Fin fans love to front on Holmes like he's not arguably the the most dangerous threat down field in this division (including an aged Randy Moss) and he has some of the best hands in the league along with Marshall.

Marshall and Holmes are the new breed of WR.

31. villain the foe

villain the foe Banned

Oct 5, 2009
    I'd rather be as obscene! lol.

32. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Sanchez has better targets, OK. He had better targets last year also. He just dint know what to do with them, and he seemed to target the opposing teams defenders an awful lot. 20 times IIRC. Second, he doesnt have a better running game. Miami was 4th in the league w/o any WR threat to speak of, and a slew of injuries on the OL. Just sayin. Youve gone from having two Pro Bowl caliber RBs and a talented 3rd stringer, to 1 (unproven)starting caliber RB, an aging backup, and an injury prone rookie. If Greene gets hurt (which happened twice last year), youre in serious trouble.

You seem to have a extremely overinflated opinion of your team, a total lack of respect for the rest of the NFL, and a misunderstanding of the passing game in general. You dont just put good players on a team and go play, the players have to complement each other. Moss and Welker are good players, but they are extremely effective b/c thier skill sets compliment each other perfectly. If NE finds a third WR and an effective TE, plus they still have Faulk, thier passing game could be awesome again, not 2007 awesome, but significantly better than it was last year. Rice and Berrian draw the coverage and Harvin wreaks havoc on nickel backs and LBs. Donald Driver does the same. Steve Breaston seems to always be open, for a reason. Nawlins floods specific areas or spreads WRs wide and deep, all with speed, all with YAC ability, after 3-4 seconds, theyve broken down the integity of your coverage scheme, almost EVERY TIME. Most importantly, all of these teams have QBs who can read, react, make good decisions, and good throws, on time. Who cares how many WRs you have, if your QB cant process the info, youre not gonna do much in the passing game.

The Saints, Packers, Vikings, Cowboys, Chargers, Colts, Cardinals, Texans, Colts, Eagles, Titans etc all have a 4some as good or better than Holmes (good), Edwards (above average), Cotchery (above average) and Keller (average). Add the Patriots if thyre healthy. If Crabtree reaches his potential, add the 49ers.

I dont see any reason why the D wont be good again. The talent is there for sure. Though Im sure you noticed that teams began to catch on to your blitz schemes as the year went on, and you were no longer getting free runners at the QB on a consistent basis. That #1 defense title includes the Cincy week 17 mail it in special, which dropped your yds allowed average by about 40 yds. What'd they have 70 total yds?

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. Henne had a group of young, talent challenged WRs last year. Now he has a legit, dominant WR. Most importantly, Henne showed the ability to stand tall in the pocket, read defense, and make good decisions/throws on a consitent basis. Henne carried the offense, overcame deficits, threw when the opposing team knew he had to throw, and he still had moderate success despite the poor supporting cast. To be fair, Sanchez' defense kept him out of those situations for the most part, but he failed miserably on the few occasions (at NE/Indy) when he was asked to lead his team from behind.

Almost forgot, you guys dont even have the best OL in your own division. Mangold and Moore are the only guys who would start for the Fins. Your starting five is solid, but thats about it. Meanwhile, we have perhaps the best T tandem in the league, and 9 guys with starting experience. You guys have what, 4? And youre depending on a 2nd round rookie to start from day one at a position he didnt even play in @ UMass. We have more talent, and more depth. Its really not that close. IMO Nawlins, Tennessee, and Baltimore are as good or better as well.

Trowa likes this.
  33. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

LSD kills people man! Get off it while you can!!!!!!

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  34. villain the foe

villain the foe Banned

Oct 5, 2009
    Great answer. This taught me more about football than a quote ABOUT FOOTBALL.

:no:

35. Ozzy

Without a blink I take Marshall over any Wr in the AFC East thats for sure!! Holmes is very good. Excellent even, but he is not Elite. Edwards might be the one on that team that has a down year. He cries when things don't go his way so we shall see. They were very smart by getting Holmes though.

36. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I think Henne is in a better position to succeed b/c he had more put on his plate as the year went on. He was throwing it 40+ times vs NE, Tennesee, Houston. In pressure situations, he was being relied upon to carry the offense, and he was semi-successful. Sanchez on the other hand, had to be reigned in b/c his decision making was atrocious. The less he threw, the better the Jets did, and he spent the latter part of the season being a "game manager". I expect the Jets to rely on thier D and run game and use Sanchez as a counter puncher as they did down the stretch. That wont help Sanchez statistically, but winning is all that matters.

37. Ozzy

Sort of like overinflating every single aspect of your offense has taught me how much you know about the game....

Trowa likes this.
  38. villain the foe

villain the foe Banned

Oct 5, 2009
    I dont feel like typing a book. This all sounds good, though neither one of our opinions can out do anothers opinion. We can only go by fact, and the fact of the matter is that the Fins are 4th in the run game and the Jets were 1st.

Its also a fact that we dont have LW and TJ, but Greene has proven himself in the playoffs,....something that you seem to forget and LT is one of the best back up RBs in the league on paper. Our Oline is pretty much still in tact so I'll let your words fly with the birds, we'll see this up coming season!

Dont forget that we should be betting for Avatar and Sigs this year as well. Hopefully you dont front or no one gets hurt before the beginning of the season. :knucks:

39. villain the foe

villain the foe Banned

Oct 5, 2009
    And you think having a shoe phone is cool.

I'll take my chances with my logic as well as my "cool".

And as for my overinflation, simple. What team has a better 4 target AND Oline?

Also, what team has a better LB & CB Tandem?

40. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Holmes was dumped for a 5th round pick, by one of the shrewdest franchises in the league. I have an easier time believing Holmes is only worth a 5th rounder than I do beliving that the Steelers got taken to the cleaners. Holmes benefited from having a QB that allowed him 4-6 seconds to get open, a luxury he wont have in NY. He's suspended for 4 games, he's in a new offense, in a contract year, on a team that is run first and run second. I agree he's a talent, I'm just not sure how much the Jets will get out of him.