1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Henne was pleased no QB was drafted.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    we haven't played a game in the 4th year..

HeyBaldy likes this.
  2. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Yep, I read it! Sparano does not aquire players first of all, and what Qb was a franchise Qb WAS MY QUESTION?

3. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    If Cowher came here, I doubt you'd see people impatient because Cowher has won a Super Bowl, and multiple division crowns and playoff games. You know he can do it. People revered The Don who didn't win a Super Bowl for over 20 years by the time he left. Because he WAS The Don, he had cred.

4. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    You think Sparano has ZERO say so and imput into who he was given to work with on the OLine ? Really Ozzy ? You believe that ? :sidelol:

As for the QB, well my answer has always been, and always will be they made that very 1st mistake in 2008 when they didn't draft Ryan. But as to who they could have gotten in this year's draft ? Not sure, but I'm sure in a few years we might see one or two of those drafted in the 1st round as All-Pro QB's. I think Christian Ponder is going to be making a lot of people do double takes.

5. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    But we've had 4 drafts, and that is more than enough time for several other franchises to have their foundations built. KC and Atlanta already look to be well on the way, with Detroit and St. Louis right behind them.

6. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    well, to me its always been a 4 year plan, a 4 year plan requires you to see how players will perform after their 4th, not 3rd..Judging what your going to do with the franchise after year 4 is only fair considering the state of the franchise when they took over.So before year 4 gets under way, I have one of the youngest teams in the league, who has produced a winning record, and division title in the process of rebuilding, they deserve that 4th year to show their development.

HeyBaldy and ToddsPhins like this.
  7. Ozzy

You're blaming Sparano for everything that happens to this team is whats really funny! He is not the GM and if you think he had tons of say with Parcells here as to who they were picking, I think you're sadly mistaken.

Yeah, Miami made a huge mistake drafting Jake Long!

See the rest of this is where I have the biggest problem with all this, this organization suck, don't have a Qb, Henne is garbage stuff you spread all over this forum. GET ME A QB OR YOUR FIRED!!! Who? I don't know but get me one....lol

ToddsPhins and MrClean like this.
  8. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Again I will reiterate WE WERE NOT AS BAD AS OUR RECORD in 2007. We lost at least 6 games and I think its 7 games by less than 3 points, and were ahead in the 4th qtr in 7 or 8 games.

The new regime decided to put its own stamp on the team when they came in and that meant getting rid of a lot of the talent that was already here. Remember they won in 2008 with a lot of the same players that were on the 2007 team.

9. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    The QB does suck. The numbers say so, how can you disagree with that ? He threw INT's that lost us at least 2 of the 3 "gimme" (supposed) home games at the end of the season, he was benched in the middle of the season, and was booed off the field by the end of the year.

I don't blame Sparano for everything, but he sure does have a hand in a lot of what is wrong with the team. His handiwork is the reason why the OLine is not settled after 4 drafts we are still trying to build it correctly. His old OC needed to be told BEFORE last season started, to retire. Parcells was gone, what stopped him from doing it ? He could have taken over the playcalling himself, as he has once done it in Dallas, so he was experienced. He still hasn't fixed the ST's unit. He at least fired Bonemego (or whatever his name was) but that was only after the NE Cheatriots had made a national laughingstock out of the unit on ESPN national TV. We knew that unit was bad before the season, and many around here had already been calling for his head for a year.

10. Ozzy

I'm not a huge fan of Chad Henne but it's obvious to me that your just making some stuff up. Henne's numbers were not what anyone could use in saying he sucks. Sorry dude! Your passion is good but your reasoning is terrible.

GMJohnson, ToddsPhins and MrClean like this.
  11. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

:sidelol: Dominating fashion???? The score was 17-14 and Carp missed 4 FGs. HTH is that being dominated?

HeyBaldy, GMJohnson and ToddsPhins like this.
  12. MrClean

So Shula is only held up as football icon if it supports some point you want to try to make?
    It wasn't just the 70s and 80s. Look at the Cowboys of the 90s. You are going to say well they had Aikman, Irvin, Novacek, et al. The straw that stirred the drink in Dallas was Emmit Smith. The dominating ground game that opened up the passing game, along with a strong, deep, defense. It was also what JJ tried to do in Miami. Make a team that was more balanced, better running game and defense.
    Marty was a fine coach and did well enough to put teams into the Super Bowl, if a few key plays outside his control had went differently.

I know you got some kind of mancrush on Ryan, but fact of the matter is, the main difference between he and Henne is supporting cast and OC. When his run game didn't get 100 yds last season, his QB rating was like 77. If you put him into Miami's 2010 offense and think he'd have gotten the team into the playoffs, I'd say you are dreaming.

13. MrClean

You are really grasping at straws in your zeal to denigrate Henne. Amongst Gabbert, Locker and Ponder, do you know which ones were better college QBs than Henne? None. Their QB ratings were all roughly the same or worse than Henne's. I wonder if we had gotten one of them, and they had a QB rating of mid 70s and no playoff berths after two seasons starting, would you be ready to move on from them too? Who could we have gotten? You say you're not sure. But, on the other hand, you are sure we might see one or 2 of them as All Pros??? I'm sure too, there are a lot of things we might see, but when you say you are sure we might see, it means you are not really so sure at all or you would say you are sure we will see. When you say you are sure, it means you are certain, but then when you say might see, rather than will see, it seems you are not so certain after all.
    Maybe some New Age music would help you relax? ;)

HeyBaldy, ToddsPhins and Ozzy like this.
  14. MrClean

Alrighty then...the 2011 season is over and I missed it. Must have done a Rip Van Winkle kind of nap. How did we do?

HeyBaldy and ToddsPhins like this.
  15. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    No but they are still trying to fix problems (Pouncey) with areas of the team that should have already been fixed. That means this year, instead of getting a WOW type skill player, you are settling for an OLineman that who knows if he works out or not. Maybe the skill player doesn't work out either, but at least you didn't put off FOR ONE MORE YEAR getting that WOW skill player in the 1st round.

Ireland and Sparano must not trust their own offensive genius skills because they have yet to go and get a real game changer on offense in the 1st round. It shows too, because what area of the team is the most lacking ? The offense. Think about it, if we had even had a middle of the pack offense we would have won at least 3 more games and been in the playoffs.

16. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Ozzy, lo0ok at the numbers, THE ONES THAT COUNT, Int's vs TD's.....that is how I grade a QB, and he has thrown waaaaaaaaaaay more INT's than TD's. And it's also when he has thrown them, when the game is often on the line. Elite QB's don't usually do that, especially after starting 20+ games.

And if you say "well he's an efficient QB not an Elite QB", well my retort is - Why do we have to settle for that ? We have been without an elite QB for 12 years now, its not worked out without one, so lets try and get one and see what happens. It couldn't get much worse than it has been the last 10 years could it ?

And Ozzy, thanks for recognizing my PASSION for the Fins. Some here just don't get it, that being critical is not being disloyal, but being TRULY passionate about the team. I wouldn't be here and posting this often if I didn't really love them, and worry about them, and root for them with all my heart.

17. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Did you watch the game ? We were behind 17-7 and it really didn't feel that close. C'mon bro, did you really watch the game ?

18. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    So according to you, you think Henne is as good as Aikman ? I think you are dreaming. Without the QB plays that Aikman provided that Cowboys team would have been a one man team. You need BOTH, and even if Thomas works out, we are still missing the elite QB. How often does this team have to fail without a franchise QB for people to get that ? If Marino had ever had the running game he deserved he would have won 3 or 4 rings, even with the crappy defenses provided to him (and yes that is a very big black eye on Shula's record).

I have no mancrush on Ryan, but he is the best example since this group has been here to get a true quality QB. I think our fortunes would have been very different had he been the pick over Long. This regime has proven they can put together a defense, but have yet to prove they can do anything on offense, and have especially failed in the most important position on the team, since he is the only player to handle the ball on just about every play. You need a playmaker in that position, and I just don't think Henne is as good as we can do.

19. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Oh and if McCoy, Mallett or Dalton turn out to be very good to elite QB's, and Henne continues to fail us, the downfall of this regime will lay 100 % on their failure to fulfill the most important position on the team.

20. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Dude, why do you have to get personal ? That is really wrong. We are having a debate and I disagree with your position, but to suggest I do this or that, come on, that is beneath you and uncalled for. My station is a commercial enterprise for me, and I don't understand why you would denigrate anyone's entrepreneurial enterprises.

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Our first 4 picks were offensive players that fit needs, plus there is free agency to go, and you know were gonna be players there, you've got to give him the year before you judge this critically, its whats fair..

Whatta you gonna do if we do sign a Deangelo Williams and a Takeo Spikes, and we hit on our draft..?

HeyBaldy likes this.
  22. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    They have had 4 drafts and are still trying to fix one side of the ball. To me that is unacceptable. To you its not, lets just leave it at that. No amount of arguing is going to change the mind of the other.

23. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    I am not sure about being a big landing place for a lot of GOOD change making FA's. I hear Drew Rosenhaus admit on Channel 7's Sports Extra several months ago, that he has told his FA players and that he's heard other agents tell their clients to stay clear of Miami, that its not a good place because of the tenuous nature of the coaching staff & GM. FA players are looking not just for a payday, but stability, and right now the Dolphins do not provide for that. They could sign here and then a whole new regime comes in next year, and they might not want to use that FA the way the current regime uses him, and he might be stuck in a situation that he's not happy in, and wants to get out from under. So the best thing to do then, is just stay clear of Miami.

I will be very surprised if we are one of the big players in free agency this year. They could surprise me, and kudo's to them if they do, but I am not counting on it.

24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    and Ckap.

HeyBaldy likes this.
  25. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Forgot about him, and he might be the best one of all. Thanks for the remind.

26. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I guess that's why small names like DeAngelo Williams and Mike Sims Walker have stated how much they'd hate to play for Miami. :shifty:

HeyBaldy likes this.
  27. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I have deleted several posts to get this thread back on track. A few of you are treading on thin ice at the moment. Please stay on topic and refrain from personal attacks. And if you feel the need to report a post, please let the moderators do their job rather than taking it public. Thanks.

Boik14 likes this.
  28. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    If ifs and butts were candy and nuts......... Holy cow, McCoy has shown nothing so far and Mallett & Dalton haven't even taken an friggin NFL snap, yet you're already playing the "if" game with them in a positive light despite Henne showing more than all 3 of them?

Here's Colt's last 2 games of the season: 35/70, 358 yards, 5.1 avg, 1 TD, 6 INTs, and a QBR of roughly 35.0.
    Here's Mallett & Dalton's mouth watering stats: 0/0, 0 yards, 0 avg, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 0 QBR.

And what's with this Mallett nonsense? He was a freakin 3rd rounder!! He sat the bench behind Henne at Michigan, and he would've done the same in Miami.
    BTW, if Dalton were in the 2008 draft, he would've been taken AFTER Henne & Brohm where he belonged, rather than over drafted out of desperation.

HeyBaldy likes this.
  29. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Why do people feel the need to pretend reasonable things are unreasonable?

Simple fact. The Dolphins' brain trust are on the hook for passing up on this year's QB class. Why the need to pretend that's not true? If Chad Henne blows and Ryan Mallett survives his one or two year stay in New England, gets traded and succeeds...it's a commentary on the strategy of passing on Ryan Mallett because you have Chad Henne. Why pretend it's not? Why pretend that's ridiculous? If Andy Dalton is throwing all over the place in Cincinnati this year or next, and again, Chad Henne continues his downward spiral, why is that not a commentary on the strategy of "Let's take Mike Pouncey instead of a QB because we have Chad Henne"? Why is that suddenly preposterous.

Everyone gets so testy on this subject, they get nasty with one another and break the TOS all over the place, it's pretty disheartening. People aren't allowed to have their opinions anymore because they cross the opinions of other people.

30. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Since none of those guys have proven themselves, then the same optimistic hypothetical "what if" should also pertain to Henne; otherwise it's irrational discrimination IMO. Mallet hasn't proven anything; neither has Dalton. To give them any kind of benefit of the doubt (despite never taking a snap) over a guy on a problematic offense with a idiot OC while facing one of the toughest schedules in the league is what's disheartening in my eyes.

31. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    When you lose 15 games then you are every bit as bad as your record. Bad teams find ways to lose games. In 2007 this team wasn't bad it was awful. We were 1 overtime bomb from being winless.

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    top 5 worse in history is a pretty steep starting point for a regime to take over..I wish our fans could put this criticism in some sort of context..

HeyBaldy and Boik14 like this.
  33. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Never works that way TP..whichever Rook Qb is ALWAYS a better player and would have easily unseated whomever if only there was the forsight to draft them instead of sticking with the current schmuck of a Qb.

Trade a #2 for say Kyle Orton?

:omg: :no: :no:

Use a #1 on a Qb who has not even sat in on a single meeting, then pinning all future hope for that season on them?

:yes: ! Brilliant! :ffic:

It is the vainglorious of those who really buy into Draft Marketing imho, those cats may be good prospects, however they have to prove it on the field and not in theory and that is a messy process that is overlooked at all times.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  34. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That sounds nice but it's just not realistic. In reality as an NFL front office you're forced to evaluate college players and make decisions about those college players which translate into conjoined decisions about "proven" NFL players. There's nothing new there. Should I say that it's ridiculous or "disheartening" to make a decision on whether or not to re-sign Ronnie Brown based on the presence of a Daniel Thomas who hasn't taken a snap in the NFL?

These are all things that people know. But everyone seems more obsessed with posturing than with acknowledging simple truths.

35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The 2007 team had plenty of talent on it. It was poorly coached, suffered a lot of injury problems. I don't think this staff were complaining about the presence of guys like Yeremiah Bell, Andre Goodman, Will Allen, Renaldo Hill, Channing Crowder, Matt Roth, Joey Porter, Vernon Carey, Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams, Paul Soliai, Greg Camarillo, Pat Cobbs, David Martin...or even Ted Ginn or Samson Satele...back when they were all helping the team win the division in 2008.

It's actually pretty ironic that the more this staff gets rid of the holdovers from the 2007 roster, the worse the Dolphins seem to play.

36. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I respectfully disagree with the "downward spiral" assessment.

If a player has two virtually identical seasons, with the second one containing more obviously hindering obstacles, then I'm led to deduce the second season included some improvement in order to maintain par.

I could go along with "he didn't or wasn't able to show the improvements we had all hoped for", but I can't say he regressed.

37. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I don't disagree with that at all. I believe there are appropriate ways to do it, and then there are the inappropriate, irrational ways of going about it. I merely disagree with the latter. Fans wanting to take a QB, any QB, just for the sake of NOT being Chad Henne IMO falls into the latter.

Ronnie is a veteran who left entirely too many plays and yards on the field last season. I can't really compare that to a young, inexperienced player doing the same when that's an expected part of his developmental process.

38. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I can see what you're saying. Ultimately the reason I disagree with it is I believe he had more weapons than in 2009, yet his passing success stayed the same. I don't buy that his pass protection was any worse in 2010 than 2009, in fact I think it was better. The addition of Brandon Marshall should have been a huge boon for him. He had the same coordinator and coaches both years so I don't see how an argument could be made there. As for the "downward spiral" I'm referring to how he ended the year against Cleveland, New York, Buffalo, Detroit and New England. That was absolutely a downward spiral, IMO...and my hypothetical questionw as IF he continues it...

DolfanJake likes this.
  39. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    And the problem is, this in itself is an irrational posturing of peoples' opinions so as to make your own opinions seem more rational by comparison.

If a person wants a highly rated QB, because they don't think Chad Henne is worth it anymore, then it's irrational to say that this person just wants "any QB just for the sake of it NOT being Chad Henne". It's inaccurate, and irrational, and it's a form of posturing with the intention of obfuscating the truth rather than acknowledging it.

40. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.