1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Henne's Time Coming

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Georgia Fin, Oct 20, 2008.

Tags:
  1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Thanks for posting the article.

I'm not much for speculation articles. We could speculate that we're going to make the playoffs. We can speculate that we won't. When the time comes is what is important.

They could replace Pennington with Henne but until that bridge comes here we won't know.

I think there are benefits to both sides (keeping him out and putting him in) but the negatives outweigh the pros right now.

2. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I would much rather wait until next season to start Henne... But if he's ready, he's ready... Hopefully Sparano makes the right decision..

PMZQ likes this.
  3. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Sparano isnt weak, he wont cave into pressure from fans.

PMZQ likes this.
  4. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think they are more concerned in other areas than QB at this point...Our secondary has had major lapses, the OL isn't opening holes for the run game as it should be, the WRs are having trouble getting open, the DL is having lapses in games where they get no pressure at all, exposing the weak secondary, the LBers have been non-factors in general and and other teams have seen what happens when Fergy is not in there...

CP had a poor outing this week, but still threw for nearly 300 yrds and 75% accuracy...He made the one pick six which was difference in the game until late into the 4th qtr...But there's enough blame to go around without replacing CP...

Frumundah Finnatic and sgtphin like this.
  5. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Penny is the least of our worries. Its that 2ndary that is most troublesome.

sgtphin likes this.
  6. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    The Miami coaching staff might argue Pennington is completing long passes just fine, thanks, because his 8.12 yards per gain average is very good. But that statistic paints a misleading portrait because it includes an 80-yard pass on a screen that was really a 5-yard throw and a 53-yard touchdown on a pass that Pennington actually underthrew.

This is stupid. I would quibble about whether the 53-yarder was really underthrown, but even so -- every quarterback's statistics include screen passes that get taken to the house, five-yard slants where the cornerback falls down, fifteen yard crossing patterns where the safety runs the wrong way. (Of course, if he was missing open guys downfield against the Ravens, that's different.)

As it is, Pennington is 4th in the league in YPA, which is terrific. He's playing over his head, frankly. But if you took the 80 yarder and the 53 yarder away from him, and let every other quarterback retain all their completions where the receiver did all the work or the ball was underthrown but completed anyway, he'd be averaging 7.42 YPA, which would make him 10th in the league, ahead of the Manning brothers, Jay Cutler, Brett Favre, Jeff Garcia, Jason Campbell, Kyle Orton and a dozen others.

Maybe it makes sense to get Henne out there. If we keep losing, it definitely will make sense. But sportswriters' statistical illiteracy still makes my brain hurt. Lots of guys like sports, lots of guys can read and write. So in that group, it ought to be possible to find guys who can add, subtract, multiply and divide too. Think, even.

Frumundah Finnatic and anlgp like this.