1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Henning defends Wildcat calls again

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Oct 14, 2010.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Henning defends Wildcat calls again
    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2010/10/henning-defends-wildcat-calls-again.html

Dan Henning defends Wildcat call on third and 6
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...sweblog+(Miami+Dolphins+|+Sun-Sentinel+Blogs)

Pandarilla, Stringer Bell and alen1 like this.
  2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    So, Henning thought it was still 2008 when he made that Wildcat call on 3rd and 6?

Wow.

Clipse, MikeHoncho and Pandarilla like this.
  3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't have an issue with his play calling this season. He's done very well IMO.

4. jupiterfin

jupiterfin Mild Irritant

Nov 29, 2007
    Jupiter Florida
    I can't believe Henning actually said this.

5. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    No one disputes that 95% of Henning’s calls are very good.

It’s the 5% that kill drives that we’re worried about.

Clipse, jetssuck, jazz and 7 others like this.
  6. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    You don't win today's games on last year's success. It worked last year because it was something new, and it caught a lot of teams off guard. Most have made the adjustment now. And, defenses that are fast and disciplined can much better defend it now. IMVHO, it's time to pull the plug on the Wildcat, and just focus on calling a balanced game of conventional run and pass plays. Don't be cute. Cute don't work.

RickyNeverInhaled likes this.
  7. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    That 3rd and 6 WC call was about as mind-boggling as the Ricky Williams HB pass in Buffalo last year after running the ball down the field at 6.5 yards a clip.

I agree with Desides. For the most part, I like the games he's called. But it's those few 3rd and mid-long WC in games where we were passing at will at the time with great pass protection. I usually don't question playcalling because majority of the time it's a "hindsight is 20-20" thing, but those few calls were mindboggling when I saw the formation from the start

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    My only problem I have with him, {and its not the wildcat}, is his philosophies in creating an identity with the run, and how he approaches favorable down and distance scenario's.

finyank13 likes this.
  9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    there is nothing cute about Ronnie Brown taking a direct snap {with motion} using his instincts and Power behind an unbalanced line...

ChrisKo and GMJohnson like this.
  10. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

EXACTLY!!!!

Its that 5% that has the bald spot on the back of my head getting more visible, and the gray hair getting thicker by the day.

Its that 5% that makes me want to punch Henning in the Keester!!!

11. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    If we lose next week what's the over/under at for new posters named "Mr. ****theragman"? Which I guess was a phrase that was known back in the '40's? (shoulda went with Mr. Crackerjackswellyoumug...)

I'm setting the line at 4.

12. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    It's about execution. It's one of the reasons they are 2-2. The Wildcat has nothing to do with it.

13. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

I like Hennings call quite often but I must say that some of his first down calls have killed me this year. Not just the call, but calling it over and over at the same points in drives in which it ends up killing it. If it aint working over and over, why beat the dead horse each and every time? Try something totally different a few times then go back to it...

FinsAreLife likes this.
  14. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    love it and i love henning's attitude towards the fans

Fin D likes this.
  15. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    imo that was more on ricky than anything else.it was a option type pass and ricky crappped on himself..had ricky tucked and run it the 3 yards thats a touchdown..i can't blame that solely on henning.

16. The G Man

Mar 18, 2009
    That's not really what I meant when I wrote that DJ. Although, I can see where you might think that.

What I meant was more along the lines of the ill fated pass Ricky through last year in Buffalo, and other similar calls. In other words, there are times when you call a play, even when it's obvious what you should do (i.e., run on 3rd and short, pass on 3rd and long, etc.). But, Henning tends to "get cute." It's my own terminology. You may not like it, but hey...that's cool.

Bottom line, I think the Wildcat served a purpose, as I believe it masked in deficiencies we had on offense. With Henne having the equivalent of a full season of starting under his belt, and the addition of Marshall, I just don't think it should be relied on for anything more than the occasional red zone call.

cowboy82nd and djphinfan like this.
  17. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    IMO, Ricky Williams should've never be given the option to pass ever. For that reason alone, I put that one on Henning.

18. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007

Everyone has their own opinion on how well he's done calling the plays this season but to say he's done very well???? You must be missing something to say that. In no way has he done very well.

19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    It wasn't something new. It was ran by the Dolphins in 2008. The actual formation - the single wing variation - was ran by the Jets the same year as the Dolphins. Leon Washington was the ball carrier at that time. It was ran in the nineties by some teams, not a base formation but same as what we did. It was ran in the 40's by the Steelers. It has been ran for a long time. It has been adjusted to for a long time. If you look at Steve Belichick's book - Bill's father - he has a whole chapter on how to defend it. You slide your defensive line a man over to the strong side and rotate the secondary.

20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I've watched every game. :)

21. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007

I think this is an excellent point. Hennings main problem is that he kills drives as they are starting. He may not have completely awful play calls afterwards but it's normally too late to recover because of how he called the first play or two.

22. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    Have we ever been satisfied with the Dolphins offensive coordinators?

23. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Don't understand why the 3 and 6 call was half as controversial as it was.

They were playing for a field goal in a situation in which it was perfectly reasonable to play for three, and selected a play they thought could get a couple of yards to move them from the 36 into more normal field goal range.

24. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Does play calling ever not get blamed in situations in which either result or execution are not what is desired?

alen1 and adamprez2003 like this.
  25. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    How is it a perfectly reasonable situation to play for three? We were playing against the number one offense in the NFL and we only needed six yards for a first down. I can understand playing for the field goal if it's 3rd and long but six yards should not put us into a run only formation. That is a losers mentality.

GMJohnson likes this.
  26. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    My first thought was that they were planning to go for it on 4th if they didnt make it, then decided to punt when (SURPRISE?) Meriwether blitzed the WC and we lost yards. I can't see the logic behind playing for a FG when you're at the 36 yd line on 3rd and 6 of the opening series. 3rd and 16 maybe, but not 3rd and 6. If that's what we were doing then, :pity:.

27. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    There was no score, on the opening drive, and the reality of the game is that it would have been a low-scoring, conservative game that the Dolphins had an advantage in, sans Henne/Special Teams meltdown in the 2nd half.

Going for 3 isn't a losers mentality, the idea that nothing besides going for 6 was acceptable is a Madden player mentality. If going for three in that situation was unacceptable, it's pretty much unacceptable in any situation that isn't a game winner by itself.

28. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    As objectively and open-mindedly as I can possibly put it:

**** YOU DAN!!!!!1!!

Pandarilla likes this.
  29. The G Man

Mar 18, 2009
    I'm aware of the origins of the Wildcat, Alen. But, thanks for the history lesson nonetheless. :up:

I still say it was a new "wrinkle" to the conventional offense that was being run up until they unveiled it. Whether it was '08 or '09 is really rather academic. The bottom line is everyone knows we run it, so they game plan for it now. As a result, it has lost much of it's effectiveness. I'd rather keep Henne in the game, and run a conventional play, be it run or pass.

JMHO.

30. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    You stated that it was something new in 09 but it wasn't. It was re-revealed in 08.

I don't think it has lost its effectiveness by game planning. I think its lost its effectiveness because of the lack of quality blocking up front. JMO though.

djphinfan and adamprez2003 like this.
  31. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    The reason for Hennings occasional downright comical lapses of judgment?

Senility.

Pretty soon hes going to be found walking down south beach wearing his pajamas at 4am, dragging his mobile IV along while yelling at imaginary critics...probably still defending the wildcat.

32. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    I am very positive on the team, but have been very troubled by the wildcat starting at the end of last season and continuing on to this season. When did the wildcat become reduced to the same two plays where Ronnie gets the snap and runs into the centers butt?

I remember many plays that were highly successful but are not being used - why? What is the point of running a wildcat offense unless it surprises the defense and creates a big gain?

There are a million variations that haven't even been touched. How about a wildcat flea-flicker? How about running the wildcat with a tackle eligible as a hidden receiver in the redzone? If I can draw these plays, so can Henning. It's time for him to get creative or get replaced.

33. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    True. When put like that Henning is a mastermind compared to Gary Stevens. :lol:

34. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Hey! He made that Marino feller look pretty good under center. :shifty:

35. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Um nope. Marino could make the Easter Bunny appear to be a good OC.

36. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Nah, bro. The running game always made things easier for him. That's just a straight up fact bro. :shifty:

37. The G Man

Mar 18, 2009
    Actually Alen, I think what I said was "it worked last year because it was something new, and it caught a lot of teams off guard." Which is inaccurate from the standpoint it was first unveiled in '08 (not '09) as you have so fastidiously pointed out. It's hell gettin' old Alen...one year just kinda runs into the next. Talk to me again in 30 years. :wink2:

As for it's lack of effectiveness, I must wholeheartedly disagree with you re; my game planning theory. It is after all a copycat league. And, once the rest of the league saw Baltimore totally dismantle us in the playoffs (umm...what year was that again :headscratch:), it wasn't long before everyone else figured out a way to negate the effectiveness of it. However, you may have a point re; the blocking scheme, or lack thereof. That thought crossed my mind as well.

Nonetheless, I have stated my position and stand by it. Less Wildcat, more conventional run and pass plays (and, at logical times). We may just have to agree to disagree on that though. :knucks:

38. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Who said anything about him being lucid.

39. Merauder

Merauder Perseverance

Dec 16, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Dan, some words of advice. Less talking. More doing. Thank you.

40. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    Just because a play works ONCE doesn't mean it will work again :no: