1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here's how we can still go 13-3

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Big Red, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I know all the statistics about starting 0-3 but I don't buy it. Why? Because the Broncos are 3-0. They beat the Bengals, Browns, and Raiders. Anybody care to place a wager on them making the playoffs? Meanwhile the Dolphins have lost to the Falcons, Colts, and Chargers. Three playoff teams. I know our schedule doesn't get any easier but the season isn't over yet. Our next three games are at home starting with a very beatable Bills team.

Here's what we need to do.

1. Eliminate the big play. This is not impossible for us to correct. We've got experienced coaches and talented players. These are guys who take pride in what they do and learn from their mistakes every week. JT did not sign up to play one more year on a team with a losing record.

2. Eliminate the turnovers. Also very do-able. If just a handful of plays went the other way the Dolphins could be 3-0 right now.

3. Start Henne. Oops. Guess we don't have a choice now. Pennington was great last season and giving him the nod was a no-brainer but he was holding back our offense. Now we will finally get to see what Henne does after having a week to prepare.
    4. Let Ted Ginn return every kick and every punt. He will take one to the house eventually. Why not increase his odds of doing so? Plus he will have more of an impact as a return man than as a wideout. He is a weapon. Use him!

5. Get Ronnie Brown more involved in the pass game. He is a dangerous man in the opponent's secondary. Passing him the ball will put him in more situations where he can do serious damage.

6. If our power running attack is getting shut down then stop trying to run the ball up the gut. However don't abandon the run. Run to the outside and use the screen play.

7. Pressure the QB by blitzing more. Its always effective when we do it. By playing not to lose we don't dial up the blitz as often as we should.

8. Speaking of playing to win how about throwing the ball deep?

2. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    i like the optimism. And yeah, ginn should be returning kicks. Percy Harvin did nothing in the game against the Niners recieving wise but he returned a kick for a touchdown, far exceeding anything he had to do on offense in the game.

dolfan7171 and Big Red like this.
  3. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I love the optimism but eight wins is probably the best we can hope for this season. I also hope they start coaching a little more agressively on offense and defense. I think that could make a difference and probably would have won us the Colts game.

4. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    We are not there, but we are close. We almost win the last two games. Two play off teams. More brown, more ricky, more Ginn (if he can catch the damn ball, but nothing tells me he can't). Stretching the field makes things so much easier. Can henne compose himself? That's another question mark.

Our Defense only gave up 16 points yesterday. Not bad for a high powered offense, keep that in mind.

5. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    If we win 13 straight games I will donate my kidney.

6. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    If the team has already resigned itself to eight wins then you're right about that being the best we can hope for. However if we take one game at a time then the best we can hope for is a victory. I'm hoping for a "W" against the Bills. After that I'll focus on the next team.

7. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Right on, Brother. Especially with Ginn on Kickoffs and punts. I think we start Vontae as well.

Big Red likes this.
  8. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Very true. :up:

jdang307 likes this.
  9. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Duly noted.

10. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    :lol: Your kidney is probably safe. However if and when we beat the Bills the odds will have decreased slightly. That's all we can hope for. Take it week by week and hope for the best. With that mindset then 13-3 is still possible.

Let's see where we are at Week 7. Denver and Dolphins might both be 3-3.

11. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    Wanna go 13-3?

Thats easy.

We just need Henne to play at a level of say some of the recent young QBs like Ryan and Flacco and I think that we can get there.

However if Henne doesn't play AT LEAST at that level.

We are destined for 8-8 or way worse.

Its all in Henne's hands right now. Oh yeah, also and we cant have WRs dropping passes, not saying anything about one WR in particular but Henne cant catch his own passes.

All we need is to prove that we can hit the long pass and make the defenses stay back some and this great running game will turn superior and suddenly the skys the limit.

No more excuses for 5 yard passes. Its time to resurrect the passing game and quite possibly the entire season.

Big Red likes this.
  12. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Dude, don't bogart that stuff! :sidelol:
    Come on man...even if we played lights out, we aren't going to go 13-0.
    And the plain fact is, we aren't going to break 500 and we aren't going to make the playoffs. We're playing with rookie DBs, a second year inexperienced and not all that talented QB and a WR corps with no real #1 threat and our offensive coaches have not shown very good judgment.

13. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    A lot of people have good ideas on these sites, but you gotta wonder, if we as fans have certain ideas, don't you think the coaching staff has already thought of that a while ago?

I agree with Ginn returning kicks and I don't know why we don't put him back there, but there must be a good reason, right?

Maybe im just looking for answers that make sense.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  14. Ophinerated

Ophinerated Preposterous!

Apr 1, 2008
    'Ello! Can we 'ave your livar?

15. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    If we continue to hand the ball to ronnie and ricky they will find the endzone. They are too good not to. I still think at the most we win 7 games.

Big Red likes this.
  16. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    It doesn't make any sense. At all.

17. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    The odds are against us that's for sure.

18. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    My livar?! I'm yoosin' it.

Ophinerated likes this.
  19. Hexonx

Hexonx Active Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I am not sure CP limited our playbook, I think people make too much out of his arm strength.

QB named Montanna who didn't have a strong arm did pretty good.

20. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    this thread:

:lol::chuckle:

DonShula84 likes this.
  21. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Remind me who his Receivers were.

22. RavensD

RavensD New Member

Jan 3, 2009
    13-0 is a bit much for any team, fellas....
    But let me say this much. You far from out of it. The Jets are playing with a rookie QB and an average offense, at best. They'll do what they normally do....win some games early on then disappear in the second half.
    New England is on the ropes. Maybe this is just the homer in me coming out, but I think that we're (Ravens) going to handle them fairly easily this weekend and chop them down to 2-2, which would be huge for you guys.
    Buffalo is, well, Buffalo. A non-factor.

Eleven wins just might win this division, with tiebreakers taken into consideration.

Realistically, it really isn't totally out of the question that you COULD finish out the season 11-2. Case in point, prior to losing to Pittsburgh in the AFCCG, the Ravens finished out the year 11-2, including the playoffs.

You know what you have to do to reach that goal, I'm just here to tell you it is far from impossible to still get this done.

dolfan7171 and Big Red like this.
  23. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    50 sum yards=nothing?

24. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Dwight Clark, Freddie Solomom:up:

BTW, FS was a ex-Dolphin:wink2:

25. Hexonx

Hexonx Active Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Pre Jerry Rice? =) But yeah they had a good team. I am just saying Arm Strength isn't everything in the NFL. We get too caught up in that.

26. Tpaddle

Tpaddle Active Member

Sep 21, 2009
    i sure hope so...come on Henne, lets light up those bills 1st this week :up:

27. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    He had Rice for 8 seasons, 1985-92:wink2:

28. Hexonx

Hexonx Active Member

Sep 24, 2009
    He won with out Rice.

29. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    True, Montana was drafted in 1979 and didn't get Rice until 1985.:knucks:

30. Hexonx

Hexonx Active Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Not saying we have any of those type of WRs on our team =)

steveincolorado likes this.
  31. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Not even close, not even close:sad:

32. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    1. Agreed, but as long as Gibril Wilson is back there, we ARE going to give up the big play. Yeremiah is looking shaky himself.

2. Agreed.

3. With Henne starting now, receivers shouldnt be waiting for the ball to arrive and waiting to get drilled.

4. I think there is proof that Ginn is afraid of contact and the coaches see that so they removed him as a return man. However, with Ginn's speed and Henne's arm, i cant wait to see if Henne can get the ball in Ginn in stride and see Ginn takeoff. :scooter:

5. For some reason, i was never a fan of ronnie, but a HUGE fan of ricky. They need to run plays with both in the backfield more often minus the wildcat.

6. Agreed.

7. Disagree. With our secondary the way they are playing right now, there is no way we can blitz more guys because even with the blitz, we're still not getting any type of pressure on the QB, and our secondary cannot be playing one-on-one defense. if they do play one-on-one, its either a big play or pass interference. i still feel like Sean Smith should be moved to safety because he is so much taller than the receivers, he is constantly getting broke with just a single move from the receiver. im sorry dolfans, but why is no one else mentioning this about Sean Smith???

8. Agreed, and now with Henne in, i would love to see quick slants from Ginn.

greyeagl53 and Big Red like this.
  33. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Actually.....Percy Harvin had 4 catches for 51 yards in that game including a clutch 3rd down conversion that setup the game winning TD. But I see where your going with that.....:up:

34. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Myself I think 13-3 is basically impossible but I don't think the thread was made to say we will win 13 just that we can improve greatly by doing such and such things. With that said I don't think the season is really done for and we are playing a long preseason unless the Fins lose to Buffalo this weekend. My thinking is that if NO knocks off the NYJ and Miami takes care of business against them next week the Jets can be 3-2 after week 5. Also the Pats face Baltimore at home this week and Denver next week on the road. If they lose even one of those games they will be 3-2 after week 5. As for Buffalo if Miami beats them they will be 1-3 just like Miami and last in the division. Then assume they beat Cleveland next week they will be 2-3 after week 5. Its simple all Miami has to do is win the next two games against division rivals with both games at home. I think Buffalo is a winnable game and the NYJ game will be the key. Just think if the situation I think can happen does happen when Miami goes into the bye week the division could be: NYJ 3-2, Pats 3-2, Miami 2-3, Buffalo 2-3. So even after a terrible start this team can be in the mix and equal to the wins at the same time last year. The season still has time and as this great thread suggests if Miami does certain things it can still be done. The next two games hold the key however. I know the stat that only 4 teams have ever reached the playoffs after an 0-3 start but this team defied stats last year and can do it again. It may not seem logical right now but I'm not giving up yet.

MrClean and Big Red like this.
  35. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    1. Gibril Wilson is a concern after his performance on Monday night against the Colts but he was better against the Chargers. It will be interesting to see if Culver or Clemons takes his starting spot after Sparano's comments about shaking up the roster.

3. I believe Ted Ginn is going to seem like a whole different wideout with Henne at the helm. Those two drops against the Chargers were troubling but hopefully he will put that behind him.

4. I agree that Ginn seems to be afraid of contact but he is a dynamic return man no matter how you slice it. The fact that he isn't returning every kick and punt is mind-boggling and frustrating beyond comprehension.

5. Ricky Williams has been impressive so far this season. :up:

7. We have consistently gotten pressure blitzing the QB. Peyton Manning burned us a couple times but he is greater than most quarterbacks. I believe we could have tremendous success against quarterbacks not named Peyton.

8. I love the slant pass. Don't know why more teams don't run it more often.

36. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Tremendous post! All very true. The playoff hunt is just beginning. The Dolphins are far from out of it. In fact we are tied with or only a game behind half the AFC. :knucks:

dolfan7171 and sking29 like this.
  37. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I think the Dolphins can finish 13-3 although I still believe they can finish 12-4, which isn't far from 13-3...what was my point?

38. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

May 13, 2008
    Clermont, FL
    The Jets are not winning games with the offense. The Defense is nasty. The o-Line has 3 pro Bowlers.

Calling the Jets out is silly.

let me try this:

The Phins are playing with a QB could not start last year or this year. Their O-Line is slipping. They have a well below average Offense. Nobody is threatened by the overused wild cat

opfinistic likes this.
  39. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    I cant wait for this head butting match...might want to check the rushing stats before you bash the O-line I was at the Charger game and that D line of theirs was getting punished same thing when the possesion was flipped...slipping I think you mean Jelling.. Its ok Im going to enjoy watching Pace get buried and Jenkins get a full game of a healthy Donald Thomas..you think the Pets can push the Dolphins around in the trenches your going to have a rude awakening thats the one thing that WONT happen.

40. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

May 13, 2008
    Clermont, FL
    Nomally I'd let this slide but MWAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

1. Pace has not played yet

2. No center has stopped Jenkins