1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hero13's Post Game Thoughts...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Crappy Tipper, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I figure everybody else gets to write an essay on gameday so I might as well jump into the fray and put my two cents into the gumball machine.

First of all the trick plays were really cool but we can't rely on those to win games because they just won't always work like they did today. The odds of that many zany plays working in a pro game week to week are staggeringly low and everybody on the fins schedule will be dialed into them going forward. I hope Henning finds new and creative ways to keep the chains moving.

I know today was the Ronnie Brown show but I just watched the game for a second time and I want to point out a couple of things. The first is that the bulk of RB's yardage came off of trick plays where the defense was confused versus RW for the most part got his carries in the heart of the field from the 30 yd line to the 30 yd line and didn't get nearly as much work in the strike zone (30 yd line to goal). I would have liked for Ricky to have gotten one more carry to try to crack 100 yds on the day.

Pennington proved today that he can be the guy that we saw in the pre-season guiding the team down the field. Made some nice throws, he throws a perfect pass. Arm strength of an over rated factor and he proved today that a nice tight spiral with good velocity in the 5-15 yd range will work effectively if there is a good running game to go along with it.

I don't remember seeing any catchable balls hit the ground and at 85% completion ratio give me that any week with a strong running game and zero turnovers.

Henning & Sparano are the real stars of the day with creative play calling and having the right players on the field. This is the first game where I never used the line "Why is that guy in there?".

I just don't want this fan base to go all bipolar again just recently folks here were blasting each other for the optimism they showed in the pre-season after the trouncing by the Cardinals.

What does today mean?

For me it means that the team is beginning to come together as each unit gets more used to each other.
    Henning is learning what weapons he can utlize with playcalling
    Really it's just one win, it's a huge win but I for one don't expect them to suddenly become world beaters but I hope it's something to build on going into the Charger came in a couple of weeks.
    I do think that if they can line up straight and run the ball like they did today we are in for a pleasant season. Nowhere to really go but up overall. Both backs are coming back from their own offseason issues. Rusty Ricky & Gimpy Ronnie I feel will get better week to week. Given the layoff for Ricky & the recovery for Ronnie I don't think we've seen the best they can offer yet.

2. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    I would not consider those trick plays....except perhaps the one he passed

3. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    Whatever you want to term them they certainly are not standard and they will be gameplanned against going forward.

I might agree on a simple direct snap to the RB with the QB in a standard position but with the QB at WR, one RB at WR and a fake reverse there is some deception / misdirection going on and for me that falls into the realm of trick plays.

4. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    Though with 3 possible plays run out of that formation....it makes it slighty harder to gameplan against IMO

5. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    It certainly does but today's success was largely in part to confusion by the Pat's, bad tackling by the Pats & Ronnie brown having amazing moves in tight spaces. It really wouldn't have taken much for any of the running plays to have been blown up. That pass was a thing of beauty, but I think that worked because they knew the Pats were going to try to take that run away in the second half.

If the teams going forward recognize the three possibilities and stay home for defensive assignments it cuts the probability of success dramatically.

6. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    good writeup. we arguably beat the weakest of the three teams w played today. The Patriots are old and slow and we thoroughly kicked the snot out of them. We are starting to gell. Today was the first time we saw our team hit on most cylanders. I think we'll be able to play with the bottom twenty teams but the elite is still out of our reach IMO. Still it was great to see

brandon27, Crappy Tipper and calphin like this.
  7. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    First time in a long time that I was able to sit down in the third quarter of a football game and relax knowing that a victory was almost surely in hand. It's nice to not have either the anxiety of uncertainty or the disappointment of knowing at halftime that you most likely will not win.

I agree with the level of play, but I don't think it will be long before they are contending with the elite.

8. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

The game plan was a thing of beauty, I heard the QB coach had alot to do with it, (Ark. Rasorbacks) and hope that we continue to suprise people. Thank the lord Henning quit with the: Run,Run,Pass, and Punt thing!!!

Even more important with this one win we wiped out the bad memory of last year even if we only win a few more; to beat the Pats in their home was sweet, sweet, sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:up:

Crappy Tipper likes this.
  9. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    One thing to add - I was watching Sparano on today's PC. What is amazing and I'm thrilled about is that he knows when to let his guys do the job he pays them for. He gets input from the QB coach, OC etc... and puts it into a game.

Unlike Cam last year that had his marbles buried so high that he couldn't let go of the reigns just a little bit and it blew up on him.

10. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Every great manager (in sports, politics, or business) know how to delegate. Sparano seems to know his own limitations and can delegate accordingly. It helps to have Parcells around to bounce ideas off of too.

11. Dannyg28

Dannyg28 Say hi to the rings

Jan 4, 2008
    for the RW thing, you failed to mention he got a 20or 30+ run out of that trick play formation, and also got the bulk of his yards when the game was already out of reach.

12. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    not to mention, who knows how many more plays that we have from that formation that we didn't see yesterday.

13. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    It's refreshing to see a coach manage other coaches not micro-manage all positions.

Ok, Ronnie had about 40 yards outside of the trick plays, Ricky had about 75. I'm still comfortable with my observation and by no means want to minimize what Ronnie did but just to point out some real tough running that Ricky did between the tackles.

That's the most important part of the game. If Ricky wasn't able to get yards in the fourth quarter when they were trying to hold onto the game and run the clock out by running the ball a dozen times in a row and had to rely on passing there may have been a window for the Pats to get back into the game.
    Fourth quarter power running with a lead is essential.

Oh and one thing the MNF game a few years back taught me - leads are never safe if you don't manage the game properly.