1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hickey And Wallace Had A Sit Down To Discuss Future

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by shamegame13, Feb 8, 2015.

1. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    unluckyluciano, SICK, Colmax and 4 others like this.
  2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    You would hope they keep a guy who can change a game in one play. Have a feeling he and 17 become quite the pair if he stays.

fin13, Sceeto and shamegame13 like this.
  3. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    As long as we upgrade that BUM Hartline, im good.

Mexphin and resnor like this.
  4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    That's addition by subtraction if I've ever seen it.

Limbo and shamegame13 like this.
  5. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    Get me, you or anybody from this forum out there and it will already be a better offense.

6. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Wallace, Landry, and a 6'4" 220lb WR is what this team needs. Add Albert back to the mix and I'd be ecstatic.

resnor likes this.
  7. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I'm sure Hickey was gauging his interest in a possible restructure, if Mike said no? Who knows what may happen. Maybe Mike said put me on the first flight to a contender....we will know in the next few weeks for sure.

77FinFan likes this.
  8. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    i hope he stays and all the bull**** is gone. go get a tall wide receiver that is physical to go with wallace and landry and then we will have an explosive offense.

9. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm not sure what the value in sitting down with Mike Wallace would be.

It would take a significant pay cut for Wallace to come in line with his production, or even the free agency markup of his production.

Even then, you've still got other problems. He can't stop from throwing a tantrum now, what do you think is going to happen when you do the work to find a legitimate #1, or someone who starts eating into and succeeding on his deep targets?

Get him the **** out of here for whatever you can get in trade.

10. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    What's this feeling based on? There hasn't even been enough success at what Wallace excels at to merit further exploration. You're going to inevitably be moving away from the strength of one of the two players.

mnfinfan likes this.
  11. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Likely because Hickey and crew are smart football guys with only one agenda in mind....making good football moves. They aren't jaded fans who decided a long time ago they hated someone. Great example why most of these REAL GM's snicker at fan suggestions with no.......context.

12. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I saw Ryan start to look confident in his deep throws....

A healthy OL, another year together in the same system, and no where to go but up are reasons they can/will succeed together in 2015.

PhinFan1968 and bran like this.
  13. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    This sounds more like hope than anything. I don't see anything tangible that indicates they're going to connect deep at an appreciably higher rate.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  14. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Ryan is a young developing QB, no reason to write him off already. And again, the laws of averages say they can do no worse in that regard.

It's Mikes 4th offense in 4-5 years, maybe he will thrive even further with the familiarity of Tannehill and the system??

It's certainly more than hope.

15. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm not writing him off. I'm saying his skillset is less than ideal for Mike Wallace's.

16. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    he was, it was seen in the second new england game where they actually let ryan go deep he was throwing it well yet the only one who caught the deep balls were wallace, this season they need to let ryan take shots its the only way he will get better at it, a healthy solid oline would help as well and with albert saying he doesn't know if he will be ready for week 1 the dolphins definitely need to add some depth their.

RevRick and Fin-Omenal like this.
  17. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    I can tell that not a single one of us here is responsible for: 1) paying Mike Wallace personally, or 2) fielding a winning team, for which a strong consideration is whether players' production is consistent with their salary cap hits. It's awfully easy to be a fan and have neither of those responsibilities.

18. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    No matter what you feel about Mikes price tag, the "responsible" decision is to part ways with him when it hurts the football team the least. 2016. The powers that be have more pressing needs, remember you only save a few million vs the cap, so you have to ask yourself can you replace that production NOW with 3.X million....likely no

Fin D likes this.
  19. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    No, he's absolutely got to do his due diligence, but the chances of it paying off in any meaningful way is nil.

As are the chances that you've got even the most rudimentary idea of how any of this works or should work.

20. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    His production is not what everyone thought it would be when he signed because he was signed to bring the deep threat to the offense. Unfortunately it is kind of difficult to be a deep threat when your QB can't throw a decent deep pass.

Even with the QB having no ability to hit him with over the top passes, Wallace was still the main receiving threat on the team and he led all the WR's with 10 TD's.

I don't see him taking a pay cut to remain with the Dolphins, but if the Dolphins are foolish enough to cut or trade him. I have no doubt he will go to another team and be a highly productive player for that team.

The Vikings were the other team that was very interested in him two years ago when he was a free agent. Perhaps he will opt to sign with them if he is cut by the Dolphins and with the outstanding young QB the Vikings now have, Wallace would be a great addition to their WR corp.

I could see Wallace once again becoming the top deep threat in the NFL if he can sign with a team who has a QB who can actually throw an accurate pass over 20 yards.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  21. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    And you are pretending that you know the meeting was unproductive.....must've had 10k hours ease dropping on dinner dates. :wink2:

shamegame13 likes this.
  22. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    The money saved from cutting Wallace now won't be the only money available to replace him with.

23. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    He should save a lot more than a few million, unless the league decides he isnt worth more than $3-4M. He probably will get $6M per year on the open market.

24. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    The degree to which Wallace has become less productive deep, in comparison to his first three years in the league, is highly discrepant from how Ryan Tannehill's downfield passing compares to that of the best passers in the league in that regard. In other words, Wallace's decrease in productivity downfield isn't anywhere near being fully explained by Tannehill, and so you sure should doubt whether he'd be a highly productive player with another team.

25. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Interesting in all the articles ive seen anout this crap, not once is offset language mentioned?? Not saying it isnt true, just not sure any of us know the details.

26. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Bad football to create more holes when you have so many, another reason proffesionals and not fans make these decsions.

Piston Honda likes this.
  27. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Almost every article on Wallace's contract at the time of signing cited the offset language.

28. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Where is the mention in all the current talks?

My point is I doubt it's as clear cut as what was explained, if it really is that easy to get off the hook with Mike they would likely release him with ease.

If it is true then they must think the world of Wallace as a WR, because he's getting 8-9 M elsewhere in his sleep

29. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    What exactly do you not understand? How offset language works, or whether Wallace has it in his contract?

30. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I don't need to understand it, but if it's exactly as explained why hasn't it been talked about in the least with all these articles that keep saying its hard to release him with that cap hit?

31. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    That hole can be filled.

32. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    First time you've ever muttered those words I bet...:tongue2:

Piston Honda and shamegame13 like this.
  33. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    Actually in contrast to Wallace, I'm highly productive deep. :yes:

unluckyluciano likes this.
  34. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Hard to get deep when you can't get the ball in the right area.

35. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Again, Ryan Tannehill is at worst average on deep passes.

The problem is that Mike Wallace is below average at everything except making a well-thrown deep target into a longer touchdown. Give him a quarterback besides Big Ben, and an offense besides Bruce Arians and he's pedestrian.

There are a small handful of situations Mike Wallace could go to where he's got some hope of performing like he did years ago, and Minnesota isn't one of them.

Send Mike Wallace to Indianapolis, and there's a good chance. Send him to 90% of the rest of the teams in the league, and he's the mediocre to solid player he's been the last three years.

36. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Obviuosly you see a QB who better at throwing the deep ball than I do. I rate Tannehill as no better than below average in regards to the deep pass, but I accept we aren't going to agree on this issue.

As far as Wallace is concerned. All I saw was a WR who caught as many TD passes as Landry, Hartline, Gibson, and Matthews combined this past season.

I blame Philbin for letting this matter get to the point that Wallace is even being talked about as a player who may not be on the roster next season. Instead of sitting down and working out the problems, Philbin instead leaves it to Hickey to sit down with Wallace.

I just don't think Philbin relates well with the players on the team and that is why I think him coming back next year will be a big mistake for this organization.

Whether Wallace is on the team next season or not. With Philbin returning as the head coach, this team will be lucky to finish with another 500 record and a record of 6-10 or even 5-11 is more likely, IMO.

37. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    If you go by actual statistics, it has been constantly shown that when he isn't throwing the ball to Wallace, his success rate is average.

38. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I don't think him never developing a deep ball means you write him off. If your solid QB does not mesh with a WR, you bring in someone who he can mesh with. Neither guy is in the wrong in that case. They're just not a good enough match to justify keeping them together. It's just that solid QB is harder to find than a solid receiver.

EDIT: I suspect if we could have swapped Wallace for Bryant, this conversation wouldn't be happening.

PhinFan1968 and Disgustipate like this.
  39. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    And I'm not sure what you're seeing can be based on anything that's actually happened.

Tannehill's deep accuracy this year was literally almost exactly average this year, even with Mike Wallace doing like he does. What's more, it was top 10 before Wallace got here.

He was a good red zone threat.

That and good work ethic will get you $4.5 million dollars a year as a free agent if you're lucky.

40. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Seriously, even if you throw everything else out and blithely accept that Mike Wallace is being held back by Ryan Tannehill, why the **** are you going to keep paying Wallace and not find someone who fits his skill-set?

It's like there's this idea under the surface that the Dolphins should find a QB to fit Wallace's skill-set, not the other way around.