1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hiring companies refuse to budge on application requirements

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by maynard, Oct 5, 2009.

1. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Even as layoffs persist, some good jobs go begging

seemed like a good place to post this. im not looking a job right now right now or anything, but i have been browsing job listings lately just for the hell of it

this report kinda pisses me off.

i understand people applying for jobs they in no way qualify for, but imo the requirements a lot of employers ask for just to apply for a job is getting out of hand. they are asking for the impossible

i cant tell you how many job listings i have seen that want more education than is needed on top of more experience. then of course they want to check your entire life history

its no wonder so many people are out of work.

would it really be that difficult to teach this guy the stuff he needs to learn? i doubt it. pay him a little less until he knows the stuff. is that so hard?

again, pay the guy a little less untill he knows it. im sure the person could be of use in the meantime. as long as something isnt drastically beyond a person's general abilities (like physics or bio-chemistry for an english major) a smart, educated person can learn just about anything

this crap needs to change. not everybody has a master's degree and 8 years experience. those people already have jobs!

2. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    It really is pretty stupid out there. My wife and I were looking for jobs about a year ago and the requirements for advertised entry level jobs were ... well, far more than entry. Im not sure how your supposed to have experience (often multiple years) or a masters degree when your just out of college.
    Thankfully we managed to both get hired on for a great company, though it took awhile. But in general yeah, hiring is getting rediculous. And with as many people getting laid off lately as there are, they wont do anything but get worse as there is a perceived greater amount of "overqualified" or ready to go candidates.

Damn people, give a kid a chance, often they will work far harder for less as they try and break into an industy.

maynard likes this.
  3. TrueDolFan

TrueDolFan Minion of Satan

Jun 17, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    Yeah, when I was looking for a job back in the late 90's, it was already getting like this. It seemed like most companies wanted somebody with experience.

I always wondered, how can anybody expect a young guy to gain experience if he isn't allowed a chance to get his feet wet in the field in the first place? It's absolutely ******ed.

I manage the distribution warehouse for a multi-million dollar company. I've been hiring and firing people for over 10 years. I can tell you that just because somebody has experience doing something, that doesn't mean that they're any good at it.

Give me a guy who's eager to learn, and I can train him. Simple as that.

texanphinatic and maynard like this.