1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

His'n's purely mathematical power rankings - Week 4.

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by His'nBeatYour'n, Sep 30, 2008.

1. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    I've been using, and constantly tweaking, a power ranking formula for the past few years to help me in my office pool. Basically I wanted to help myself look past the record and reputation of a team and place a little more value on the strength of their opponents.

Using a formula that is probably approaching BCS complexity sheer ridiculousness and inaccuracies, I share it here for your amusement as well as collective scorn and ridicule. And if last week is any indication, your complete lack of interest. But I post it again anyway.

--------------------
    Last week's rank - (#)

1 Washington Redskins (2)
    Last week, even I was surprised and dismayed to see my formula rank this then 2-1 team as high as 2 and above undefeated teams. But they vindicated that this past Sunday by beating previous number 1 Dallas. All 3 victories came against teams at .500 or better and their only loss was to undefeated New York. Opponents are a combined 10-5, and Washington is responsible for 3 of those losses.
    2 Buffalo Bills (3)
    The only decent team they've beaten is Jacksonville. The rest of their opponents are a combined 2-9.
    3 Tennessee Titans (7)
    The only decent team they've beaten is Jacksonville. The rest of their opponents are a combined 1-10.
    4 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (8)
    Have played four 2-2 teams. Are 3-1 against them.
    5 Dallas Cowboys (1)
    Their week 1 victory against Cleveland is holding them back here.
    6 New York Giants (5)
    They did beat number 1 ranked and 3-1 Washington, but their other 2 victories came against combined 0-8 St. Louis and Cincinnati.
    7 Carolina Panthers (12)
    Giving 1-3 Minnesota their only victory of the season hurts, losing to bad teams is not good.
    8 New Orleans Saints (14)
    Like the Redskins they've had one of the toughest schedules so far. Opponents are a combined 11-5.
    9 Pittsburgh Steelers (18)
    This is the ranking I'm most concerned by, I have not been impressed by the Steelers this season, though I did miss last night's game. Their victories came against 0-3 Houston, 1-3 Cleveland, and 2-1 Baltimore. But Baltimore's 2 victories came against 0-4 Cincinnati and 1-3 Cleveland. And Cleveland's one victory came against 0-4 Cincinnati.

The AFC NORTH may be the worst in the NFL, and I predict they will be a combined 3-13 or worse against the best division in football, The NFC EAST this year. So far they are 0-3. The AFC NORTH is a combined 1-4 in games played outside their division. While the NFC EAST is 8-1.

10 Denver Broncos (4)
    Bad move losing to last week's 32nd ranked KC.
    11 Philadelphia Eagles (6)
    This team deserves to be the 4th NFC EAST team in the top 10, if this wasn't mathematical they'd be swapping with state rival Pittsburgh.

And the rest
    12 Chicago Bears (24)
    13 San Diego Chargers(22)
    14 Jacksonville Jaguars (16)
    15 Baltimore Ravens (11)
    16 New York Jets (26)
    17 New England Patriots (17)
    18 Arizona Cardinals (9)
    19 Green Bay Packers (10)
    20 Atlanta Falcons (15)
    21 Miami Dolphins (19)
    22 Minnesota Vikings (20)
    23 San Francisco 49ers (13)
    24 Kansas City Chiefs (32)
    25 Oakland Raiders (21)
    26 Seattle Seahawks (23)
    27 Cleveland Browns (27)
    28 Indianapolis Colts (28)
    29 Houston Texans (29)
    30 Cincinnatti Bengals (25)
    31 St. Louis Rams (31)
    32 Detroit Lions (30)

2. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Thanks Hisn.. good stuff. Thanks for sharing your work with us, I like it.

His'nBeatYour'n likes this.
  3. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    you have miami to high

4. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    good stuff... id like to see this magical formula if you dont mind, maybe in a PM?

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Good stuff bro, I like it. Something different from all the others. Btw, I like the link in your signature. Good work in there as well.

6. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    It's purely mathematical, and while I am skeptical myself about them being in the top 21, there isn't a team below them that deserves to be in the top 20.

7. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I'd like to see the formula as well if you don't mind thanks for the post.

werst.
    post.
    evar.

:)

8. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    I also don't think I can argue to much with this ranking either given that it seems to be based on quality of opponents. In which case I agree......

9. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The only two teams you could really justify putting above Miami are Minnesota and Indy IMO.

I like the rankings.

10. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Indy for sure. But I'm beginning to get skeptical about them. I thought that Chicago was making a statement in beating them, but then they dropped the next 2 games. And Jacksonville has been inconsistent, but still beat Indy. Their only win came against 1-3 Minnesota, and that was a close comeback against a team that was struggling on offense with T. Jackson. They aren't going to move up much next week even if they beat 0-4 Houston.

texanphinatic likes this.
  11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    They've been struggling with offensive line injuries and Peyton is finally getting back to his usual self. I think they'll be fine offensively but the rush defense is a different story. Giving up nearly 40 more yards rushing when Bob Sanders doesn't play and have one less turnover forced. Incredible.

12. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    We'll see. Good teams don't typically slowly get bad, I think they are living off reputation and expectation right now. Peyton has to play healthy before I assume they are better than their record.

13. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    yeah plus I don't think they have a run game ..........

I think the bears could be better then they seem if they can get started rolling.

14. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    They have been inconsistent, but give the offense time to gel and they may start to string some wins together. With Detroit, Atlanta, and Minnesota coming up, they could.