1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

His'n's Purely Mathematical Power Rankings - Week 9

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by His'nBeatYour'n, Nov 4, 2008.

1. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    I've been using, and constantly tweaking, a power ranking formula for the past few years to help me in my office pool. Basically I wanted to help myself look past the record and reputation of a team and place a little more value on the strength of their opponents.

Using a formula that is probably approaching BCS complexity, sheer ridiculousness and inaccuracies, I share it here for your amusement as well as collective scorn and ridicule.

------------------------------

Included is the "power points" each team has earned this year based on who they've beaten, when, who they've lost to, and whether or not they've covered the spread. In () is last week's ranking. Enjoy!

All teams have played at least 8 games now, and here is where the power rankings stand. I'll update a few team summaries later this afternoon, but for now it is sleepy time. Though I will leave the remaining Dolphin playoff hopes doubters with something to ponder. Dolphins remaining opponents in orange.

1 Tennessee Titans 14.611 (1)
    Tennessee faced another test in a tough Packer team. And it was the same result, a win. But there is no rest as they face a big road test in Chicago this weekend.
    2 New York Giants 13.360 (2)
    With the Redskins loss and a win against division rival Dallas, New York is really starting to separate themselves. But it does get tougher. Record of first 8 opponents 27-40. Final 8 opponents 41-25. And none of them are below .500. If the Giants secure homefield advantage, they may be unstoppable.
    3 Carolina Panthers 11.375 (4)
    The Redskins lose, Carolina takes a bye week and moves up.
    4 Pittsburgh Steelers 10.869 (9)
    Impressive win against Washington, and this team moves into the top 5. I wasn't impressed by them until now. The only +.500 team they beat before this was Baltimore.
    5 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10.469 (5)
    A tight win against a bad KC team, but they maintain their hold on the 5 spot.
    6 Washington Redskins 10.326 (3)
    They should slip as they head into their bye week, but two of their three losses were against the 7-1 Giants, and the 6-2 Steelers. They are still living off their four straight wins against NO, ARI, DAL, and PHI. But they need pull things together for a post bye week game against Dallas that could go a long way towards deciding who is the odd man out in the NFC EAST.
    7 Philadelphia Eagles 9.171 (10)
    Big, big, big showdown with the Giants this weekend. The Eagles are 0-2 in the division and really need a victory this week.
    8 Arizona Cardinals 9.090 (6)
    Going into last weekend, the Rams had a chance to make the NFC West interesting. But the Cardinals wanted no part of an interesting race. The Cardinals will be the first team to clinch a playoff spot. At 5-3 they are three games ahead of the rest of the West who are all 2-6.
    9 Atlanta Falcons 7.563 (12)
    Impressive first shutout of the NFL season by Atlanta.
    10 Baltimore Ravens 7.486 (14)
    They haven't lost to any bad teams, but the only .500 or better team they've beaten is Miami.
    11 Dallas Cowboys 7.383 (8)
    Last week all four NFC East teams were in the top 10. What happened? Two of them had to play each other and the loser dropped to number 11.
    12 Chicago Bears 7.188 (13)
    13 Miami Dolphins 7.125 (16)
    How is the 4th place Miami team ranked ahead of the other teams in their division? It's mathematical baby, no homerism here. The Dolphins have only had 2 games against teams below .500 while each of their East rivals have had at least 4. And the Dolphins are only narrowly ahead of the Jets and Patriots.
    14 New York Jets 7.111 (19)
    15 New England Patriots 7.063 (7)
    Biggest drop of the week, as the Patsies lose to a mediocre Indy team and drop 8 spots, and below two division opponents.
    16 Indianapolis Colts 6.500 (23)
    The biggest jump this week. I call them mediocre, because they are, but they end their 2 game losing streak.
    17 Buffalo Bills 6.125 (11)
    The tied for 1st Bills ranked 17? 5-0 against teams below .500, and 0-3 against teams .500 and above.
    18 Minnesota Vikings 5.838 (21)
    19 New Orleans Saints 5.633 (15)
    20 Green Bay Packers 5.271 (17)
    21 Denver Broncos 3.696 (18)
    22 San Diego Chargers 3.438 (22)
    23 Cleveland Browns 3.244 (20)
    24 St. Louis Rams 1.849 (24)
    25 Houston Texans 1.549 (26)
    26 Jacksonville Jaguars 1.042 (25)
    27 Oakland Raiders 0.125 (27)
    28 Seattle Seahawks -0.188 (28)
    29 Kansas City Chiefs -0.813 (29)
    30 San Francisco 49ers -1.000 (30)

31 Cincinnatti Bengals -1.771 (31)
    32 Detroit Lions -5.000 (32)
    Isn't it nice that Camarillo streaked into the endzone in overtime last season against the Ravens so we don't have to root for the Lions to cover up our embarrassment?

2. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    looks pretty good actually

His'nBeatYour'n likes this.
  3. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    updated.

anlgp and Celtkin like this.
  4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Great work bro! Still following these weekly.

5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Nice stuff as usual Hisn. I hate to say it though, but the Jests are the team to beat in the div. right now though. That defense is playing well, and the offense is at least putting up points. No question they are very vulnerable, but until someone actual takes advantage of it and puts them on their back gotta give the nod to them.
    This is a crazy season though. You could come up with some incredibly varied rankings from week to week here what with most teams being so close. Kind of a glut of teams occupying the 8-22 areas right now, all with a shot if they can press the right buttons and make a good run coming into the home stretch.
    Although I would rank the Jests a bit higher than us, I certainly do like our chances against them, especially at home.
    The only major difference I could think of is that I rate the Raiders second to last. That game against Atlanta was a travesty of football imo.

1.Titans - Not disputable until they lose.
    2.Giants - Also not really disputable at this point.
    3.Steelers - Physically beat down Skins. D every bit as nasty as the Titans.
    4.Panthers - Need to be more consistent, but are a team to beat right now.
    5.Eagles - Big win over ****ty Seattle. Showdown with Skins will prove alot about both teams.
    6.Cardinals - Need to win more on the road and against better teams to move into top 5.
    7.Buccaneers - Despite a W they are struggling. Must turn it back up a notch.
    8.Redskins - Got physically dominated by Steelers D. Must play better in big games like that. Showdown with Iggles will be for a potential wild card spot.
    9.Ravens - D is still tough. Offense can put up numbers, but needs to be more consistent.
    10.Falcons - Playing well at the basics.
    11.Bears - Close game against Lions. Loss of Orton might hurt them.
    12.Jets - Big win against Buffalo, defense is playing well.
    13.Packers - Tough loss to the Titans, they should have won imo but blew it. Must rebound and take advantage of Bears not having Orton.
    14.Dolphins - Rising high after 2 good wins. Defense playing well.
    15.Bills - Two tough divisional losses in a row has them reeling.
    16.Patriots - After big game against Denver, come down to earth against desperate Indy.
    17.Cowboys - Offensive line must return to probowl form or Romo wont help much. Wade Phillips is not the right guy to coach this team right now.
    18.Colts - Good win over NE, but must show some consistency. Defense still leaky.
    19.Saints - Letting off fireworks, but not enough Ws to show for it.
    20.Vikings - Beating some bad teams, but losing against the good ones.
    21.Broncos - Freefalling right now. Offense is struggling and defense is terrible.
    22.Chargers - See Denver, but with a bye. Norv has to be on the hot seat.
    23.Rams - Come back down to earth against Cardinals.
    24.49ers - Must show some more fire.
    25.Browns - Issues starting at the top. Hoping Quinn can give them the kind of spark Anderson did last year. Braylon and co. are dropping balls like they are on fire, terrible.
    26.Jaguars - Lost to Browns and now Bengals. Will Detroit manage its first win against them this coming week?
    27.Texans - After franchise first 3 straight wins, got outmuscled and outplayed by the Vikings. Must hope Sage can control the ball while Schaub is out (again ....).
    28.Seahawks - Injuries and lack of effort has made Holmgren's final year in Seattle a dismal one. Now fly cross country to play a resurgent Phins team.
    29.Chiefs - You blow a 24-3 lead? Really? REALLY? Herm needs to be fired for that.
    30.Bengals - Good win at last against JVille. Defense is still horrid, but at the least the offense can still score some.
    31.Raiders - They had what, 3 first downs? -2 yards in the first half? REALLY? What an embarrassment for all involved. They should hand their paychecks back for that fiasco.
    32.Lions - A running joke, they are more of a threat to go 0-16 than Miami was last year.

Frankly, the Lions and Raiders arent better than a decent number of college teams right now. They are absolutely terrible. The kinds of mistakes they make, the stupid stuff they do, its astoundingly inept.

His'nBeatYour'n likes this.