1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmm.Good idea or not?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by pumpdogs, Jan 6, 2023.

1. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Seeing how Tua had 2 concussions and not 3, as illustrated with the ALL CAPS on “third”…

I have said from the very beginning of the entire concussion conversation, leave the medical recommendations to the doctors who have examined him and the decision to play on Tua based on the medical recommendations made by said doctors

dolphin25 likes this.
  2. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    You gotta accept it, man. It's being commonly reported that Tua had 3 concussions this season. Sceeto just posted a separate article on the other thread which included the 3 concussions.

Sceeto, StaleTacos and mlb1399 like this.
  3. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    They’re no joke either. My college roommate who was our MLB had gotten his 9th concussion. I was told I needed to wake him up every 2-3 hours. At some point it’s not worth it and it gets easier the more you get.

4. StaleTacos

StaleTacos Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2022
    Be nice if Skylar crushes it and Tua can get a long time off.

5. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    It’s being “reported”, but what’s conveniently being omitted is Tua passed ALL concussion protocols during the Buffalo game. That’s a FACT but since Tua experienced such a traumatic affect from the concussion he suffered against Cincinnati, it makes for good ratings to report Tua had a concussion in the Buffalo game.

I submit to plain old fashioned common sense. Tua suffered a concussion during the Green Bay game and when he went back out onto the field, his play was utter CRAP. No one suspected any concussion and why? Well Tua didn’t stumble or wallow around on the field in any fashion of discomfort. He popped right up and when his play went to crap, the knives came out that he sucked as a QB.

In the Buffalo game he stumbled right before halftime and what did he do in the 2nd half? Came out and played lights out. Had Tua suffered a concussion during that game, common sense 101 dictates his play would have reflected it. Buffalo’s defense was far and wide a more superior defense than Green Bay’s and Tua picked them apart. Does that sound like the play of a quarterback with a concussion?

Don’t believe anything you see and only half of what you hear
    -Edgar Allen Poe

6. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Because the protocols are garbage and largely require the player to be honest with coaches.

Also, the Dolphins scored SEVEN POINTS in the second half against Buffalo, and Tua only threw for 186 in the game, so I'm not sure what has you all lathered up over that game.

StaleTacos, Tuanon4Life and Sceeto like this.
  7. Fishhead

Fishhead Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    He’d LIKE to play again is a far cry from him actually playing again this season. He’s not stepping foot onto a football field until/unless he’s cleared eight ways from Sunday, and I doubt that’s going to happen. I applaud his desire to get back for his team, but it is probably for the best that he’s off until next season.

resnor likes this.
  8. Tuanon4Life

Tuanon4Life Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2022
    What happened earlier this season against Buffalo will never happen again. At the time I actually bought the sciatica excuse but looking back now it looked like an obvious concussion. I've had sciatica for thirty years and it can bring you to your knees in a split second so for me it was definitely believable at the time. But hindsight is always 20/20.

firedan and resnor like this.
  9. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Protocols are garbage, huh? Protocols require the player to be honest with the COACHES? Then explain to me like I'm a 6 year old how during the actual medical examination...

Tua's eyes were not dilated and were responsive?
    Tua demonstrated full motor control in the COBALT (Concussion Balance Test)?

Could Tua (or any other player for that matter) have lied about any headaches, dizziness, nausea, etc but there are certain medical tests you CAN'T lie or cheat on.

Your eyes are either dilated or they're not
    Your pupils respond to light, or they don't
    You either maintain balance or you don't

If these medical protocols are garbage, then the entire medical field must be garbage.

You know, I wasn't too keen on drafting Tua. Not because of any of the garbage that's been spewed about him over the last 2 years, but because of the extensive number of holes this team had (and still does). In my 50 years of watching football, I don't think I've ever seen a quarterback blackballed and targeted by fans and the sports media like Tua has. Not even the injury prone, weak armed Chad Pennington was eviscerated like Tua has been. Any conversation about him is never an objective, fact based discussion. It's evolved to an "us vs them" emotional debate that's become filled with personal bias and often riddled with juvenile belittlement...and frankly I'm sick and tired of it.

JJ_79, Fireland and Springveldt like this.
  10. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Explain this to me like I'm 6 years old... People are blaming concussions for poor play in games, whole also claiming that he went through the protocols. If the the protocols aren't showing any issues, but his play is drastically affected, then how do you explain that?

The protocols are garbage and depend on the player to risk his ability to play.

StaleTacos likes this.
  11. Fireland

Fireland Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I think the protocols are bad and can't really be trusted but that is a bit of strawman. He played through one concussion for sure because the protocols weren't triggered which doesn't mean anything one way or the other in terms of the Buffalo game and him passing them. He was never checked in the GB game.

resnor likes this.
  12. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    You just deflected more than Wonder Woman and her bullet proof bracelets.

Never liked it when anyone answers a question with a question

13. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I don't watch chick flicks, so not sure what you're talking about.

Either he had a concussion that negatively affected his play, but had ZERO symptoms...or he just played bad.

You guys keep wanting to blame poor play on concussions while simultaneously arguing that he had no symptoms.

Both can't be true.

Sceeto and StaleTacos like this.
  14. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    We have absolutely no clue. Literally none.

If we are being completely honest, it would probably be best for all to just shut the sport down entirely, but that's not happening. So in light of that, Ill let the medical staff, players and coaches make the call. There is absolutely no reason for me to speculate on whether it's a good idea or "right" or anything else. If he plays, I hope he plays well and stays healthy. If not, then whatever. Neither Teddy nor Skylar are going into Buffalo and winning.

Teddy can fall off a cliff for all the good that bum did us this year.

15. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    I'd be scared if I was him or one of his family. I'll never forget watching Troy Aikman lay knocked out on the field on a sack where his head didn't have contact with the opponent or the field. He simply went down hard and... didn't get up. I think it was his last season and I keep expecting him to start showing signs, but he's still lucid on broadcasts. Aikman had so many concussions that by the end, it was anybody's guess about what would put him out of the game. It might catch up to him late on like it did Frank Gifford.

Chris Miller was the same. He retired at one point from the Falcons but came back but was being knocked out on run-of-the-mill everyday sacks. And Tommy Kramer's seizure had me cringing decades before I knew how bad concussions could be in the long term. Next to what we witnessed on Monday night, the sight of Kramer's body spasming as he lay on the field is the worst football injury I've seen in 50 years.

I'm a huge fan of Tua. I've supported him and looked forward to the day when he could be as good as he played this season. But the consideration about playing in the playoffs has to take into focus the fact that if he gets knocked out in the playoffs, his career could well be over. Miami would be wise to have a coach watching him on literally every play to remove him if he takes a hard routine hit that doesn't otherwise seem to result in injury because he can't be trusted to alert the coaches when he's hurt. He has to be saved from himself and although I'd love a fairy tale ending to this season, I wouldn't risk a bright future by playing him this week.

Fishhead and resnor like this.
  16. Fishhead

Fishhead Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    I would be shocked if he plays this week. I don’t believe that he’s been cleared to practice yet, let alone play and take hits.

17. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020