1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holy sponge bob batman..

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, May 22, 2017.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    hi level talent..meets hard work = Star player.

Bpk, rafael, Tin Indian and 7 others like this.
  2. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Yup.. I was real high on Parker, then disappointed he didn't produce like I thought he would. We'll see what happens but this is encouraging news to say the least. Injuries still concern me though.

Bpk and Tin Indian like this.
  3. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    At times last year he showed Alpha WR qualities, and he can be a possession WR or a deep threat, very Plaxico like player, hopefully he can attain that level of play.

4. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    IIRC Plaxico was considered soft by many defenders - is that what we want or do we want someone more akin to Dez Bryant, mind you he is not as physically imposing a player as Bryant.

He'd have to grow a lot but maybe an Andre Johnson slightly past his prime?

5. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I read the same article and it's all promising- they're calling him the star of early camp due to work ethic, playing hard, etc. That doesn't translate to dominating in games but it's a massive sign he's ready to take the next step. If so, we are going to get scary on offense.

Bpk and Tin Indian like this.
  6. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Im not sure that you can have a WR whos as physical as Dez without having the horrible personality that comes along with it.

If Parker can be a lite version of AJ Green or Julio Jones, then things are awesome.

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Disagree, it was hard to get more physical than Hines Ward.

8. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Yeah... or Olivia Newton-John.:yes:

9. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    Well I think we have to work with what we have, Parker is a tall, thin, fast WR, he doesn't play like Andre, he plays like Plax, he can threaten deep where Andre could not, and Plax was a big play WR and Andre was not.

I see Parker as a big play WR, not a grinder like Andre, besides we have a grinder in Landry and another potential grinder in Caroo, so I would see no need to try and turn Parker into that type of WR and I don't think that would be the proper use of his natural talents.

Tin Indian likes this.
  10. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I also disagree you need to have that personality to be physical on the field but I think Ward and Dez have a different type of physicality. Ward will knock your arse off in a block. Or steamroll you when RAC. Dez is the physicality you see at the point. He's so violent with the ball in the air. I feel like Ward is looking to rip someone's head off.

Dez is looking to clear space so he could make the catch. He's strong so he has rac highlights too. But different styles imo.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  11. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Are you suggesting that Andre Johnson didn't threaten defenses deep? I would have to disagree with that one. Andre created more big plays in his career than Plax IMHO.

12. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I think he's saying like a "deep" threat, 20 yards down the field like Moss, Desean jackson, Brandin Cooks, TY Hilton, etc. Andre Johnson made a lot of big plays but I'm not sure I'd classify him as a deep threat.

But AJ Green is in that Johnson category as well, not in the deep threat category. These are the big play receivers, not necessary deep threat receivers (and yes there is overlap). That said, I'd place Parker in this category as well. He's not a burner, he's an Alshon Jeffery type WR imo. Not gonna burn defenses by being fast but gets down the field, and uses size and strength to win the point.

13. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I remember Johnson having big yardage gains throughout the course of his career so to me going deep isn't quite as important as making big yardage plays.

Given that the completion rate on deep throws isn't that great of rather have big yardage plays which can be found at a higher percentage overall.

Look at Stills for instance. Many of his gains were on deep balls, but he was out gained by slower receivers overall statistically.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  14. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    His YPT was pretty good though.

But get this, with Drew Brees, he was catching 70-75% of the balls thrown his way, and they were at an average of 14 yards from the LOS. Which is deep. You see 70% catch percentages from slot guys, close to the LOS. Stills was ridiculous those two years even if the targets were low.

Landry last year, who improved from the year before, had 8.67 ypt. Stills was at 8.96 but caught only 52% of his targets. In 2014 it was 11 ypt and a 75% catch rate. In 2013 it was 12.82.

For whatever reason, Stills in Miami is only catching ~50% of his targets, when he was above 70% his entire time in NO. Some might say Drew Brees, which might make sense with Brandin Cooks averaging 65% catch rates and his passes being fairly deep as well.

15. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    If you guys are interested in some stats on Andre and Plaxico.. here's a normalized histogram (meaning we're assuming both had the same number of receptions) of all receptions for both WR's throughout their careers. The x axis is reception yards and the y axis is the probability of that reception yard:
    http://img.pixady.com/2017/05/843737_andre_johnson_vs_plaxico_burress.png

In terms of raw numbers Andre Johnson had far more big plays than Plaxico because he had more receptions (almost twice as many: 1062 vs. 553), but when you normalize like in the graph above you see that Plaxico was actually more likely to have a big play.

If you just have a cutoff at say 20 yards, then you find that Plaxico caught 20+ yarders 26.8% of the time (meaning.. of all catches) while Andre caught 20+ yarders 21.3% of the time. Whether you guys consider that 5% difference meaningful or not is up to you (I can't answer that question through stats right now because I only looked at these 2 WR's.. I'd need to look at 20 or so before I know what the variance in these plots looks like).

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    danmarino and resnor like this.
  16. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    Andre was a beast, but he was a mid range possession WR, who wasn't know for his big play ability, in 14 years he's never had a double digit TD year in spite of all the catches.

For me, when I talk about big plays, I'm mostly talking about TDs, to me, most big plays end up in the EZ, and Andre caught a TD every 15 catches while Plax caught one every 8.5 catches, which is close to a 2-1 margin.

Parker is one of the WRs that can work underneath and over the top, he took that Rams game over late on short passes and he's already made several deep highlight type plays, WRs like that are rare, if he can up his game he can be quite dangerous imo.

danmarino likes this.
  17. Redwine4all

Redwine4all Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2016
    DeVante Parker's talent with Jarvis Landry's passion--that has all the elements to be a great player. Not to mention we have several very talented first and second year WRs that could use this example of working as hard as possible at your craft.

18. Rickysabeast

Rickysabeast Royale With Cheese

Jul 26, 2016
    Pfft. All conjecture. Going to wait for the season to see proof. Been duped too often on the Hallmark'ed up offseason reporting. We're always going to be the second coming of the 72 Phins this time of year. Hope it's true though!

19. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I doubt he'll ever have Landry's passion, but he could have the professionalism. Several guys with Parkers physical metrics but little discipline come into the league every year. Most never do anything. Some eventually get it, usually for their second team. Hopefully, Parker will be one of the guys who figures it out quickly enough to help us.

That's where I was hoping the Gase factor would pay dividends. He seems to do a great job of conveying to players what they need to do and getting them to follow through. I also think that Landry and Stills deserve some credit if Parker truly blossoms. Both are reportedly very professional and dedicated athletes. It's hard to be the guy among those two who is always hurt, doing minimal work, not eating right, etc. and not feel like a slacker. IMO those guys raise the professionalism standard for that unit and provide peer pressure for the other guys to meet that standard.

20. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

YES.

Very glad to hear this about Parker.

And Gase is helping us get greatness from players instead of them busting. To be blunt.

Unlike Philbs.

Tin Indian, resnor and rafael like this.