1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hope for a new season: Player Development

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by His'nBeatYour'n, Sep 4, 2012.

1. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    The re-signing of Anthony Armstrong got me thinking. Here is a player who the Dolphins cut loose two years ago so that Marlon Moore and Roberto Wallace could develop.

Armstrong now comes back a better player than when he left, possibly.

Moore and Wallace never developed into anything more than they were, certainly.

How many players actually got significantly better year after year under Sparano and company? In ways more than just average experience does?

I count two. Cameron Wake and Paul Soliai. And with such a small number it is fair to question whether they were developed or merely highly motivated.

Were there any other players that developed since 2007?

Was Soprano's coaching staff that bad at player development?

I personally have hope that this coaching staff will at least be better at this aspect of coaching.

Do you have hope that this new coaching staff will finally get more out of players?

What year 2-4 players are you looking to see more from this year?

smahtaz, dolfan7171, Bpk and 2 others like this.
  2. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Sean Smith easily...I think he finally becomes a dominant corner (not that he's been terrible since he's been in the league).

3. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    I'm hoping it will be Reshad Jones who takes that next step.

His'nBeatYour'n likes this.
  4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Sean Smith, Koa Misi, Reshad Jones, Bess and Hartline all improve this year I think.

dolfan7171, Bpk and His'nBeatYour'n like this.
  5. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

And yet he finally 'took the big step' after Philbin arrived.

6. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

To be fair, Pouncey improved. Incognito was a great re-claimation project.

None of the Wrs or TEs improved appreciaebly under SParano. Ditto the D-line guys outside Soliai (who I think improved due to Jason Ferguson's mentoring and that disaster that killed family-members waking him up and maturing him) and Wake who showed up ULTRA-motivated to improve HIMSELF (this guy moves other players aside and take the rep against Jake Long in drills because he wants to make sure he gets maximum challenge. He pushes *himself* beyond what any coaches do.

I seriously don;t think Sparano's crew developed much here. Sad to say.

His'nBeatYour'n likes this.
  7. patcobb

patcobb Active Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Didn't they coin the term 'progress stoppers"?

8. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Even if I add Incognito to the list, it is hard to argue player development over self motivated.

I really hope this staff is up to the challenge.

After watching Hard Knocks, I know I would run through a brick wall for Jim Turner. And I'm no follower.

Jerry will be the most improved IMO.

djphinfan likes this.
  9. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Especially lately, it seems like Joe Philbin has made a point of saying a big part of his job is to develop players. Perhaps it's an unintentional(?) jab at the previous staff, some assurance to a restless fan base, or both. Seeing whether some of these players develop might help answer a few of the questions surrounding Ireland's ability, though.

10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think its just his philosophy which is Green Bay's philosophy.

11. CD13

CD13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Vestal, NY
    I think a lot of players developed, just tough to notice the below average bloom into average. Problem is only homerun is really Wake.

12. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

If you only look at the offensive line for the 4 years of Sparano's leadership you can see it as a microcosm of the whole team. Name one player drafted other than Jake Long who was developed into a starter ... even Pouncey, another first rounder had snap issues all of last season. Yet Sparano was/is reportedly a o-line whiz plus his first choice for o-line coach was fired one year later because he "yelled" at players??!!

Trying to make Henne into a Penny clone is the other stand out failure imo.

Sadly Tony Sparano was a yes man looking for other yes men ... he even failed at that!

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I don't think Tony was even allowed sign his own OC & DC. He did hire his own ST coach....Bonamego...quite possibly the worst ST in the history of the NFL.

14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Damn man, rewatching some Sean smith, impressive jump.

15. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie

He looks like a cot damn monster. Time for him to put it all together.