1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hope this Tannehill article comes true, good stuff.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Jun 17, 2014.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...franchise-quarterback-nobody-is-talking-about

Lots and Lots of gifs illustrating the points being made..

smahtaz, Colmax, rafael and 9 others like this.
  2. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    One of the most extensive articles of read on Ryan...really makes you think.

3. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Impressive article. But I'm stuck wondering if the author didn't set out with a conclusion in mind and then found the gif's to support it. For example when he claims that Carolina had a better receiving corps than Miami it gave me pause. Would you take Hartline, Gibson/Matthews, Wallace and Clay, or an old Steve Smith, Ted Ginn, Lafell and Olsen?

In any event, I'm very excited to see what Tanny has in store for us. It's been so long since we've had a QB worth boasting about.

bakedmatt likes this.
  4. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    sure it was a fluffy piece, but it's all about seeing it from all angles and questioning yourself where you stand, rethinking your positions..

I've always claimed that Ryan has a high pocket ceiling with very good arm talent, my concerns are speed of the game, below the waist stuff, and whether or not his ceiling is good enough to win a Super Bowl, my hope is that mike Sherman stripped this kid of his balls, and Lazor will give them back.

5. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Mike Sherman isn't the worlds greatest OC, but he's not nearly as bad as you keep going on about. It's not like in his two years in Miami he was given much to work with. A rookie QB with no weapons and mediocre offensive line in year one, and injured weapons and a horrid offensive line in year two. I doubt even Chip Kelly could of succeeded with the mediocrity Ireland gave Sherman.

And I disagree with the article suggesting Tannehill has more arm talent than Matthew Stafford. If Matthew Stafford ever figures his mechanics out (He's only 26, which I found out when debating CK about the lions vegas odds, not even in the "prime" window yet), I don't think there's a QB in the league with a better arm.

GMJohnson likes this.
  6. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Was surprised to see this on CNN's front page this morning. Article makes a lot of good points, the most important being what a good job Tannehill has done thus far of completely carrying Miami's offense despite being surrounded by inadequate talent at crucial positions.

7. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    very surprised to see it on CNN's front page. had to double check when you wrote that.

8. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Seems to be gone now, but it was there. I knew exactly who they must have been talking about just reading the headline which was "The best franchise QB nobody is talking about". And my buddy who also scans CNN every morning (and is a diehard Bills fan) messaged me to say, "Congrats on getting published!"

9. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    it's still there, just takes a few moments to load

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    any coordinator who doesn't come close to weaving the qbs entire skillset into game strategy, especially when you have limited weapons, and the leagues worst offensive line, deserved to be fired, just like I thought he would.

Lookie here....dude got canned..

11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Many news sites track your interests by what stories you click on and then put more stories like that front and center. For example, my yahoo homepage has many stories about Game of Thrones, football, Apple & comic book stuff. I went over to CNN for the first time and the article wasn't on the homepage for me, because it has no idea who i am.

jdang307 likes this.
  12. jdallen1222

jdallen1222 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl
    Im sure it's there, I don't believe CNN's frontpage is tailored like that. I believe it looks the same to anybody who looks at it. Check again to see if it's there, look for the 13th story under the "Latest" category on the left side of the frontpage on CNN.com titled "NFL's best QB nobody talks about".

MonstBlitz likes this.
  13. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    You're right about certain sites doing things like that, but that's not the case here. Like I said a Buffalo's Bills fan and someone else who pays no attention to football at all both saw it today and talked to me about it because they know I'm a Dolphins fan.

Edited to add: It's still there last one down under "THE LATEST" section. Anyone else not see it?

14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Should I spend the extra money on the 8 gigs of storage for the MacBook Air or just stay with 4?

15. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I'll leave the bold to Lauren, but as to Sherman, don't forget Sherman was handcuffed by Philbin. They share a lot of the same philosophies but also differed. I bring that up because Philbin has already revealed his stubbornness with things Lazor is trying. Let's see if this kitty cat can change his stripes

16. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Yup, Yahoo is now all Dolphins, Giants, Politics (but maddeningly Democrat heavy grrr) etc.

I want to turn it off not because of some BS apprehension of privacy, but because I like new and interesting stuff. I can find my sports and politics by going to you know, politics and sports websites.

But it is showing up for me too (don't visit CNN that much). My question is, why is CNN linking to BR?

EDIT: It's a partnership. BR probably has one slot on CNN at all times

http://www.cnn.com/bleacher-report/

17. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Probably a Dolphins' fan working for CNN. Anyways, this stuff is things everyone already knew about Tannehill's arm talent since before he got drafted, everyone always said he had a major league arm.

18. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS

That "OLD" Steve Smith the past 3 seasons: 216 rec, 3,313 yards, 15.1 avg, 15 TDs

That includes a disappointing 2013 season where he only caught 64 balls and 4 TDs. Doesn't account for his pass and run blocking either. Tough lil bastid that does it all... Toughest receiver we have may very well end up being rookie, Jarvis Landry...

djphinfan likes this.
  19. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Bleacher Report is owned by Turner. He gotz kinnekshuns.

20. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    NOtice how you had to go back 3 years to average it out? His numbers declined each year. The author talked about 2013. In 2013 he looked old. In 2014 the Panthers let him go.

21. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Do we judge a player on a single season or a body of work? His age is a concern, and he missed a game and some time in others, but the $7 million cap hit this year was why the team cut him, not production.

Also, Smith is the Panther's All-Time best receiver. Fans were outraged over this. Last season he became the 29th player in NFL history to produce 800 career receptions and the 22nd to compile 12,000 career receiving yards. Panthers should have restructured him and/or let him retire a Panther.

As for 2013:
    Hartline, 16 games, 76 recs, 1,016 yards, 13.4 avg, 4 TDs.
    Wallace, 16 games, 73 recs, 930 yards, 12.7 avg, 5 TDs.
    Gibson, 7 games, 30 recs, 326 yards, 10.9 avg, 3 TDs.
    Matthews, 16 games, 41 recs, 448 yards, 10.9 avg, 2 TDs.
    Smith, 15 games, 64 recs, 745 yards, 11.6 avg, 4 TDs.

He has lost a step, but is still a productive receiver and as good as any of ours were last season - hence the Ravens signing him. The Ravens-Panthers game this season should be fun to watch...

Apparently, the Ravens are pleased with him in camp: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ve-coach-steve-smith-is-everything-advertised

djphinfan likes this.
  22. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Would you elaborate? I would like to get a better idea as to what you mean before discussing.

23. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think THil is underappreciated tbh, if his performance is looked at in total, one can see there was always a large, natural, limiting factor, Wr's whose skillsets did not match his as a rookie, a terrible offensive line last yr and no credible running game.

But think of this, he has beaten some playoff teams despite those handicaps and finally broke through the "Fiedler" cap of 20 Tds. I do suspect that eventually he will outgrow Philbin and we will see a coaching change, like when Mora was shuffled out of Indy in favor of Dungy

24. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Agreed... Tannehill should be able to increase his TDs to around 30 +/- 2 and have his INTs around 12 +/- 2. That should also mean he passes Jay Fiedler's 66 TDs (over 5 seasons as a Dolphin) this season - but regardless, he will be no where near Fiedler's INT numbers (63). Tannehill is at 36 passing TDs in the past 2 seasons.

25. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    If we are comparing rosters, we look at what he's done recently, and what he's done recently is trend down. Not sure why you want to bring his body of work into this. He has a greater body of work than AJ Green. Are you taking him over AJ Green? NO.

So when you compare what Carolina had last year at WR, and what the Dolphins have, I'd take the Dolphins receiving corps all day every day.

26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    the thing is even though pressure is coming an elite Qb will know where it's coming from and be able to make the first guy miss..he lacks in those two depts...must get quicker mentally and physically when it comes to dealing with pressure, and that's taking into account the time he had in the pocket.

27. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I've always considered arm talent to refer to various aspects of throwing ability, relating to the arm specifically. The big 3 would be...

- Arm strength (velocity and distance)
    - Ability to throw from multiple platforms (angles)
    - Ability to make every type of throw (bullets, bombs, touch, timing, etc...)

I don't mean any disrespect to Tannehill in saying Stafford > Tannehill in regards to arm talent. It's a compliment to Stafford. If Stafford can figure out his lower body mechanics (balancing his feet and shifting his weight consistently) and stop doing goofy throws from his back feet, there's nothing stopping him from being the best QB in the league. His only rival would be Aaron Rodgesr, who currently holds the title for best arm talent, imo. The thing that worries me about Stafford is he gets nervous with bodies around him, IMO. It's like the alarm bells start ringing and he just launches with his arm, neglecting the lower half. Kind of like Marino had to do in the 90's. Although his reasons were medical and not outright sloppiness.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SandmanLions/search?query=stafford

Go checkout Stafford's highlight video's from 2011-2013. Tell me your jaw doesn't drop multiple times throughout the videos. Stafford's arm is on another level when he's mechanically right. And even when not mechanically right, he still has the opportunity to strike (with much less consistency, obviously). It's a shame that Detroit doesn't invest more into coaching. A real QB guru would of had a field day with this kid from the onset. Stafford's only 26 (a year older than Tannehill) so he still could grow.