Hot Dog Toppings

60 replies

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Aug 13, 2009, 03:21 PM

"TrueDolFan wrote:

The best hot dog toppings are shredded cheddar and Hormel chili (no beans).

Had that, very tasty. I also do the shredded cheese and hot salsa combo. Gotta use salsa that's thick, not watery so bun doesn't get soggy.

testing

njfinfannjfinfanNew Member
Aug 13, 2009, 03:25 PM

"The G Man wrote:

I'm reminded of one of the Dirty Harry movies when Clint scolds one of his fat sidekicks who show up eating a hotdog covered with ketchup. I'm paraphrasing of course, but he berates the guy about how after all the murders, rapes, assaults, etc., how the only thing that really bothers him is people who put ketchup on their hotdog. Forget which one it was, but funny how you remember certain things.

Personally, I'm pretty boring...ketchup and mustard with onions is pretty standard for me. Although, I sometimes go sans the ketchup, and sometimes add chili just to spicen' it up a bit.

Oh, and I noticed several people referenced Hebrew National as the brand of choice. Couldn't agree more. Best tasting dog all by itself.

My mother used to not allow us to have ketchup on our hot dogs when we were little. She said a true New Yorker does not have ketchup on their dogs - only mustard and relish. We weren't New Yorkers but she and my dad were born in Bedford Stuyvesant, Brooklyn.

Maxine's back! :up:

THOSE WHO ARE LIFTING THE WORLD UPWARD AND ONWARD ARE THOSE WHO ENCOURAGE MORE THAN CRITICIZE.

Vengeful OdinVengeful OdinForum Veteran
Aug 13, 2009, 03:25 PM

"opfinistic wrote:

Nathans or Sabretts are what I buy. HNs are good too.

Bun length all beef Nathan's are my favorite. Hebrew National is a close second.

As for my toppings, I usually just go with a good spicy brown mustard, but I also like mine Chicago style, chili cheese, or, if I'm feeling particularly adventurous, Venezuelan, where the dog is topped with shredded cabbage, crushed potato chips, onions, mayo, ketchup, and mustard.

The G ManThe G ManForum Veteran
Aug 13, 2009, 03:48 PM

Oh, forget to mention...gotta have a nice cold brewskie to go along with your dog. However you like it. That makes the meal complete. :beer:

http://larrycsonka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/071511-NFL-Larry-Csonka-PI_2011071516291173_660_320.jpg

GISHGISHForum Veteran
Aug 13, 2009, 04:14 PM

Hotdogs are the american cheese of the sausage world. Italian sausage, peppers, and onions is where its at. First juliane slice (long strips) some various peppers and onions. Let them SLOWLY cook in a tablespoon of butter until they are very soft and awesome. Then grill or pan fry the sausage links (or brats) to get a crisp char on the outside (not fully cooked). Then put the peppers, onions, and sausages into your favorite tomato sauce and let it simmer for 45 minutes. When ready, put onto a toasty hoggie roll and enjoy. You'll never want a hotdog again. Make this for your man, and he will think you were sent from heaven.

jdang307jdang307Supporter
Aug 13, 2009, 04:40 PM

That sounds good but that's not a hot dog. :D

GISHGISHForum Veteran
Aug 13, 2009, 04:51 PM

"jdang307 wrote:

That sounds good but that's not a hot dog. :D

well, those are your two choices........it can be good, or it can be a hot dog.

opfinisticopfinisticNew Member
Aug 13, 2009, 04:52 PM

"jdang307 wrote:

That sounds good but that's not a hot dog. :D

Gish doesn't care as long it fills his mouth.

ORorangefinfanNew Member
Aug 13, 2009, 05:02 PM

"njfinfan wrote:

I was trying to think through some different hot dog toppings to make for hubby (I know they're bad for you, but he loves 'em). I stumbled across this website. Who would eat these dogs? They're gross, especially the Hamdog.

.

http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Food/10-Off-the-Wall-Hot-Dogs.html

I would eat the HAMDOG, once if it didnot kill me. And I like a little mayo and onions on mine.

Thanks to the Darkmistress for the Sweet Sig!

"We got a dose of shut-up," nose tackle Kris Jenkins said

njfinfannjfinfanNew Member
Aug 13, 2009, 05:20 PM

"orangefinfan wrote:

I would eat the HAMDOG, once if it did not kill me. And I like a little mayo and onions on mine.

It has to kill you - I mean look what's on it. I could probably hear my arteries hardening from it. :lol: When I eat a hot dog which is rare because of my heart, spicy brown mustard and chopped onions is all that's on it. :up:

Maxine's back! :up:

THOSE WHO ARE LIFTING THE WORLD UPWARD AND ONWARD ARE THOSE WHO ENCOURAGE MORE THAN CRITICIZE.

dolphindebbydolphindebbyLuxury Box
Aug 13, 2009, 05:26 PM

"orangefinfan wrote:

I would eat the HAMDOG, once if it didnot kill me. And I like a little mayo and onions on mine.

Can you say," Indigestion"? Get the Pepto out--fast.

GISHGISHForum Veteran
Aug 13, 2009, 09:03 PM

"opfinistic wrote:

Gish doesn't care as long it fills his mouth.

I'm getting tired of your smart ass comments. Next time you say something funny, I'm calling the cops.

bg34bg34New Member
Aug 13, 2009, 09:06 PM

Relish and hot sauce for me.

Colorado DolfanColorado DolfanNew Member
Aug 13, 2009, 09:14 PM

"gi§h® wrote:

I'm getting tired of your smart ass comments. Next time you say something funny, I'm calling the cops.

Saying something funny makes you call the cops... But when you catch him peeping at you in the shower... :pity:

I just don't understand some people.

Back on topic:

I had this idea for a mondo pig-in-a-blanket type of meal...

Take yourself a Johnsonville brat, wrap it in bacon and cheese, cover that whole thing in dough (the canned Pillsbury stuff would probably work well...), deep fry the monstrosity, and cover it with chili or sausage gravy before eating...

Get dirty, get bloody, get sweaty...

...get happy.

-Cam Wake

DaFishDaFishForum Veteran
Aug 13, 2009, 09:21 PM

"njfinfan wrote:

I was trying to think through some different hot dog toppings to make for hubby (I know they're bad for you, but he loves 'em). I stumbled across this website. Who would eat these dogs? They're gross, especially the Hamdog.

.

http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Food/10-Off-the-Wall-Hot-Dogs.html

This looks delicious!!

TJamesW_PhinfanTJamesW_PhinfanNew Member
Aug 13, 2009, 09:58 PM

"njfinfan wrote:

I was trying to think through some different hot dog toppings to make for hubby (I know they're bad for you, but he loves 'em). I stumbled across this website. Who would eat these dogs? They're gross, especially the Hamdog.

.

http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Food/10-Off-the-Wall-Hot-Dogs.html

I love hot dogs and some of the better brands aren't as bad for you as many like to say hot dogs are health or ingredients wise. When I was a kid my mother made a sauce out of ketchup mustard and mayo that was great for hot dogs and corn dogs. These days it's usually just ketchup but at times any combination of mustard (brown or yellow) ketchup, mayo, onions, relish, peppers etc. heck i even like them plain sometimes.

"TrueDolFan wrote:

The best hot dog toppings are shredded cheddar and Hormel chili (no beans).

Yep great stuff. I also like a chilli dog (always no beans type for a chilli dog) with american cheese wrapped around the dog. You know health food. :lol:

"opfinistic wrote:

Spaghetti Dog?

Looks like an X-Ray of a heartworm infected dog.

What the hell?!? :scared: This may make me lose sleep...

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Aug 13, 2009, 10:02 PM

"gi§h® wrote:

I'm getting tired of your smart ass comments. Next time you say something funny, I'm calling the cops.

then you will probably never call the cops :shifty:

DaFishDaFishForum Veteran
Aug 13, 2009, 10:31 PM

I like my dogs topped with ketchup, mustard, onions, homemade chili(no beans), and cole slaw.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Aug 13, 2009, 10:35 PM

Nice Weber's Mustard and Cole Slaw..

That spaghetti dog is just creepy.

HamDog...I'll take two...thanks.

Outtawack311Outtawack311New Member
Aug 13, 2009, 11:01 PM

Might wanna make him Paula Deans hotdog, I'm sure he would love it.

quote from tvgasm
"Mmmm, hotdogs. Everyone loves them. A little mustard or ketchup, maybe some relish and/or sauerkraut and there you go. Ha! Not in Paula Deen's world. How dare you. Here's what you do, heathen: Take your already grossly unhealthy hotdog and wrap the whole thing in bacon. The fattier, the better. At this point, you can call it "The Homer."

What's a bacon wrapped hotdog covered in butter-fried onions without gobs and gobs of melted Velveeta? I mean, who are you people? Don't you know anything about food? Now, I believe we have "The Cartman."

Alas, Paula was not through. Bacon, onions, cheese and... several spoonfuls of lard. That's right, straight up lard from a bucket. I swear.

Yummy! Finally, "The Paula." I love her but I swear, if any human being actually ate half the crap she cooks (She also made a blooming onion this episode) he or she would not last beyond the age of 30. Paula's necessary kitchen items: Cast iron skillet, Kitchen Aid Mixer, roasting pans, defibrillators...
"
http://www.tvgasm.com/archives/food_network/001402.php

If thats not enough for him you can always make a side of her Fried Butter Balls (no joke, i'm dead f'in serious http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/paulas-fried-butter-balls-recipe/index.html )

DaFishDaFishForum Veteran
Aug 13, 2009, 11:30 PM

"Outtawack311 wrote:

Might wanna make him Paula Deans hotdog, I'm sure he would love it.

quote from tvgasm
"Mmmm, hotdogs. Everyone loves them. A little mustard or ketchup, maybe some relish and/or sauerkraut and there you go. Ha! Not in Paula Deen's world. How dare you. Here's what you do, heathen: Take your already grossly unhealthy hotdog and wrap the whole thing in bacon. The fattier, the better. At this point, you can call it "The Homer."

What's a bacon wrapped hotdog covered in butter-fried onions without gobs and gobs of melted Velveeta? I mean, who are you people? Don't you know anything about food? Now, I believe we have "The Cartman."

Alas, Paula was not through. Bacon, onions, cheese and... several spoonfuls of lard. That's right, straight up lard from a bucket. I swear.

Yummy! Finally, "The Paula." I love her but I swear, if any human being actually ate half the crap she cooks (She also made a blooming onion this episode) he or she would not last beyond the age of 30. Paula's necessary kitchen items: Cast iron skillet, Kitchen Aid Mixer, roasting pans, defibrillators...
"
http://www.tvgasm.com/archives/food_network/001402.php

If thats not enough for him you can always make a side of her Fried Butter Balls (no joke, i'm dead f'in serious http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/paulas-fried-butter-balls-recipe/index.html )

People do eat that way here in South Carolina. I ate my grandmother's cooking growing up and 85% of the meat was deep fried. I have changed my eating habits as an adult but some people never do. Ever heard of fatback??

Aug 14, 2009, 12:16 AM

"opfinistic wrote:

Spaghetti Dog?

Looks like an X-Ray of a heartworm infected dog.

that looks like the cross section of a tapeworm riddled colon.

"jdang307 wrote:

Dunno if its the same throughout but are those the Costco dogs? Those are pretty good.

No ketchup for me. Ketchup is for the kids. Lol

Costco dogs and Costco pizza were the ****, havent had them since I was little.

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.

Outtawack311Outtawack311New Member
Aug 14, 2009, 12:22 AM

"DaFish wrote:

People do eat that way here in South Carolina. I ate my grandmother's cooking growing up and 85% of the meat was deep fried. I have changed my eating habits as an adult but some people never do. Ever heard of fatback??

I just looked it up, that's nasty.

DaFishDaFishForum Veteran
Aug 14, 2009, 01:06 AM

"Outtawack311 wrote:

I just looked it up, that's nasty.

Actually, it's like really salty bacon.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Aug 14, 2009, 01:08 AM

"DaFish wrote:

Actually, it's like really salty bacon.

<shudder>