1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Houshmandzadeh Going to the open market

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dorfdad, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/12/bengals-not-likely-to-tag-houshmandzadeh/

This is what we need a Veteran Wideout on the open market. I know we all get excited by free-agency and we all want a young drafted player, but we need a veteran stud now 2 reasons.

#1. This year we will have a much tougher schedule field goals and 17 points a game wont win it. Our Wideouts were a WEAK spot on the offense. This would immediately make Ginn a MUCH better player. Freeing him up

#2. Chad needs some players for his last run. I do believe he will start again and than it's Henning's turn in year 3.

2. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    I can't see Ireland spending the sort of final contract money that TJ will be asking for on a 31 year old with diminishing numbers.

3. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    31 is pretty old for a WR not really known for his speed.

I'd overspend for him, but I wouldn't wildly overspend.

Zach13 likes this.
  4. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    He doesn't bring us anything we don't already have in possession receivers Camarillo and/or Bess IMO.

We need a dominant #1 if we were to splurge on a WR.

Agua likes this.
  5. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Pass. He wants some big money.:wink2:

djphinfan likes this.
  6. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    i think with dan henning playing qb we will need to shore up our o-line more then get a wr.....

7. Dorfdad

Dec 9, 2007
    I disagree on the age factor. 31 isn't an old man. Hes a possession receiver. Look at TO look at Steve Smith all older players but excellent receivers. If we can get him for 2/3 years I would love it.

Obviously don't over spend but we are DIRE need of some REAL Wideouts. ( I think we would be willing to play for us tax advantages etc.. Plus a chance to win on a well coached team!)

Bess is going to be a great #3, Ginn is a #2 (right now), and We need a Real #1

This would help GINN become better, make us a much more powerful offense and allow us you use our draft for the OLINE, DLINE, Secondary and not be forced into a Wideout that may not pan out.

8. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    catch. sometimes you need to pay a man. :wink2:

I really feel he would be the best fit for us.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  9. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I hear you bro.:wink2: The Bengals are still going to try to work out a deal. TJ wants one good last paycheck. We have some serious holes to fill and upgrade, and we will have to see who we resign of our own players. I say look to the draft.

TheAnswer385 likes this.
  10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Its incredible to me this was missed in the OT and in yours.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  11. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Besides how is Houshmazilly going to look on a dolphin jersey.:lol:

azfinfanmang likes this.
  12. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    If you consider a "possession receiver" a "real #1", then we already have two. :wink2:

13. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    we need a fast, big threatening WR. Not saying TJ isnt a threat, but he is older and smaller than what I would like to see if we sign a FA WR. IMO we need someone around the 6-3 210, 6-4 210 range. Hopefully London can somehow become that player

bkbuffet and Tone_E like this.
  14. bkbuffet

bkbuffet Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Part of the reason TJ's stats are so good is because Ocho Cinco is on the other side of the field. Chad is their #1, not TJ. Chad gets the double coverage that allows TJ to be open more often. Also there is the fact that Palmer's arm allows Chad to be a deep threat and warrant that double coverage.
    I'm not saying TJ has no skills, but he does not have size to be the #1 receiver the Dolphin's need, and without a good #1 on the other side to draw the double coverages and QB to legitimize a deep threat, I believe he would disappoint a lot of people with the numbers he would put up as a Dolphin.

15. Zach13

Zach13 Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Miami
    I agree with this. I certainly would not break the bank or offer anything for the long term

16. Dorfdad

Dec 9, 2007
    Well if we did this, it would open GINN up to become the MAN... Right now they can shut him down and were SOL..

17. femalefinfan

femalefinfan Phillies fan Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    I love this guy. He's the type of veteran leadership we need for the WR corps. He can with Ginn and teach him how to not be afraid of taking a hit. He's not the prima donna that some of the better WRs are. I really think he'd be a great fit.

Now about the asking price....

18. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'd prefer Tory Holt to Housh.

I'd think about taking Ocho Cinco if the price was right.

19. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I think people are truly over rating the fact of just size and nothing else. size means nothing if you dont know how to use it, or you drop balls, or your soft, or etc.

Who was the Steelers top WR? Hines Ward! hes 6'0 205! in fact there is probably 1 big #1 WR that has won the superbowl in the past so many years of the super bowl, and thats Plaxico.

having a big, physical wideout is great! but its not a necessity! being a good WR, finding open spots, catching the ball, taking hits, being smart, blocking, etc. is!

azfinfanmang likes this.
  20. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I think Holt would be the better fit.

21. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Cinco is a couple of years younger then Holt and has a 3 year deal, Holt only has 1 year left on his contract.

22. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Ginn asked to return kicks and punts, he's caught some passes over the middle and has been drilled. He's not afraid to take a hit.

Rhody Phins Fan likes this.
  23. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

First, the title of the thread is misleading. He "could be playing elsewhere" doesn't mean its fact yet.
    And our 'waiting in the wings' QB is Chad Henne, not Hennings...fyi...

Second, we do have a tougher schedule, no doubt and 17 points a game won't make it. Our wideouts were one of the weak spots on the team, however, the weakest spot on the team was the run game. We couldn't run the ball consistently which affected the ability of Chad and the wideouts to make a difference in the game. Afterall, if there is no need to put a safety down into the box, that's one more defender that Chad has to deal with. The next weakest link on the team, at least in the latter of the season seemed to be our inability to get any pass rush against other teams. That allowed weaker teams to stay in the game longer and made our finishes tight...

Third, in some ways, if Penny has another strong season, that could open another can of worms come next offseason with a Penny/Henne dual. Something I'd rather not see. But, I don't want Penny to have a poor season next year, and we'll deal with the consequences of Penny's season after next year...

24. first&goal

first&goal Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    .......Steve Smith is 29

25. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    I hope Housh lands in Philadelphia (since theres no chance he lands with the Jets), Reid & McNabb could finally get their Super Bowl ring. He isn't going to cry and want out after one and a half seasons. If he can put up with Chad Johnson and stay mostly silent, he can deal with the Philadelphia fans. He and DeSean Jackson would be a perfect 1-2 punch with Kevin Curtis as the slot man.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  26. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    So what do all you guys who keep saying no to WR like Housh and Boldin suggest we do? Go into next season status quo at the WR positon? Really?

27. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    I like that idea. :shifty:

28. Larryfinfan

Overpaying for a WR that will be 32 yrs old at the season's start isn't necessarily the answer. How about Miles Austin, how about drafting a guy in the first 3 rds. There are questions as to whether having Ginn (or any burner, for that matter) fits the Penny led Fins... How much of Ginn's lack of productivity is his lack of ability and how much is Penny's lack of arm strength ?? He's going into his third year and should improve. I don't have a good answer to your question, but overpaying for an aging star isn't in the best interest of the Fins either...

29. codizzle

codizzle New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    u could get miles austin, deverey (sp?) henderson, antonio bryant, plenty of other decent fa wr's... then there is always the draft where there will be plenty of big wr's available in round 2 n 3

30. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Miles Austin & Devery Henderson arn't any better than Ted Ginn, Greg Camarillo and Davone Bess. Either would be the 4th receiver on Miami. Antonio Bryant is what he is. A guy who produces once every four or five seasons and then goes nowhere. Lets see him do something for two or three straight years before proclaiming him a star or anything.

31. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Miles Austin and Devery Henderson is your answer?
    Boldin still as at least 3 really productive years in him. We can all keep hoping Ginn will turn into something, but I think he is what he is. An average WR you who occasioanlly makes a big play.
    Now I will agree that giving up the #25 pick for Boldin may be overpaying, but in the end it might not eve ntake that much. And even if it does I still think it's something this has to at least consider.
    Yeah, everyone like Cammarillo. And Bess was a really pleasant surprise. And I already told you what I think of Ginn. None of these guys are #1 WR. They are barely #2's.
    We need to something at WR position.

32. phinfanuk

phinfanuk Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    Im not too keen on Housh because I don't think he's that different than what we have. If we wanna look at a Vet I would be much more interested in Torry Holt, he has that explosiveness I think our guys lack.

33. Larryfinfan

I'm not so sure that Holt still has that explosion. I just don't know that he'd improve our situation enough to make a difference...besides, like Asomugha the Trio doesn't seem to like to go after bigger, more expensive names.

34. phinfanuk

phinfanuk Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    Do you think Holt would be expensive?

I was kind of thinking he would be a cheap alternative to Boldin (who I'd really want) or Housh, but the more I think about it, we'd probably lose at least a third for him.

All I know is Im pretty sure we need somebody good, and I'm not too keen on developing a rookie when I think we can be superbowl bound now.

35. Dolfan4Life

Dolfan4Life BostonStrong

May 3, 2008
    Germany
    Let the Houshmandzadeh speculation begin

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/17/let-the-houshmandzadeh-speculation-begin/

Styla likes this.
  36. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I just don't know if I like the idea of tying up so much of our salary cap on a 32 year old wide receiver. I still think there is a chance that we have what we need already on our roster. Ginn not making many big plays could be attributed a lot to Pennington's abilities and thats not meant as a knock agains't Pennington but he just doesn't have a strong enough arm to best utilize a real speed threat receiver. We still don't know who else might become available in free agency or if Miami might target a wideout in the draft. We know we have a need for a big nose tackle for the future and we may lose Crowder and Carey. So we may have some more pressing needs other than a 32 year old wide receiver who would tie up a big chunk of our 24 million in available cap space.

37. Styla

Styla #1 Davone Bess Fan!!!

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal

Well let me add to your post here brother:

http://www.kffl.com/team/22/nfl

Dolfan4Life likes this.
  38. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Im not a big TJ fan, but Id rather him that trading away picks, which is what it will take to get Boldin, Holt or Austin.
    If we land TJ and jason brown as a FA crop I think that would make our offense very very good and leave our first few picks in the draft to work on our defense-add a pressure guy, some secondary help and a stud MLB.

39. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada

I agree. Our WR's made it work last year, and i'm sure they'll get better. I doubt we overspend here, but i could see a vet brought in.

and Reggie Wayne fits the bill for big WR who won the superbowl recently.