How Do I Stop Snoring!
46 replies
Reading through this and seeing how many of you have sleep dysfunctions, I urge you to have a sleep study.
It can identify issues beyond sleep apnea, like restless legs, night terrors, and a lot of other potentially dangerous conditions.
"opfinistic wrote:
Big difference, he wakes up that way cause there's a huge (radio edit) in his mouth.
:sidelol:
if no one else went there I was going to.
Seriously E get it checked out.
"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl
"like2god wrote:
You both could have sleep apnea. I have it and it's torture, I'm absolutely miserable in the morning because I wake up 20 times a night and feel exhausted. Too stubborn to go see a doctor though, but that may change because it's becoming too much of a hassle.
"BIG E wrote:
I wake up choking sometimes..or sometimes I gasp for air in my sleep because I stop breathing.
"like2god wrote:
Thanks bro :wink2:
I know I should go, I've known that for a while, I just hate doctors and have always been stubborn even about the little things. I'm also not very high on wearing a contraption to sleep, I'd actually prefer the surgery over that. I don't necessarily have a problem with falling asleep during the day, I'm just really worn out in the morning and it takes a while to get to the point where I feel ready for the day, sometimes that is 3 hours after I wake up. :sad: The worst part is jumping up in the middle of the night feeling like I'm being suffocated and not being able to catch my breath, that happens quite often (a few times a night) and sometimes it scares the crap out of me and I can't get back to sleep. It's quite common in my family, none of us are overweight, none of use smoke (well, my brother does), it just seems to run in the family.
I'll probably give in and go to get checked out at some point.
Now was the machine Mrs. Z's only option or did they talk to her about other methods?
Holy ****. It's one thing when I had it and didn't know what sleep apnea was...but to have it, and to have insurance that pays for the sleep study and the CPAP (if that's what you need) and still not address it...:rolleyes:
I'm sorry brothers, but that's plain ignorant.
You're young so you don't know what you're doing to yourselves, but whether that's a good excuse or not will seem like a silly argument if you keep damaging your body - and your brain, BTW - by letting untreated sleep apnea ravage you.
"DrAstroZoom wrote:
They may have suggested surgery, but the machine is definitely less invasive. And honestly, it only took her one night to get used to it.
I had the surgery first, because I was ascared of the machine; but the surgery didn't help at all.
First night on the CPAP - next day I couldn't believe how alert and generally how much better I felt.
"Ludacris wrote:
Thanks. I found this http://www.instantlystopsnoring.com/The_Device.html
It's simialar and so i'll give it a try. If it fails i'll see a doc.
I don't think i have sleep apnea. i just snore real loud. My gf can't sleep coz of it and I feel sluggish during the day. I might develop sleep apnea later. My dad has it. He refuses to buy a CRAP machine. They are very expensive. Apparently sleep apnea is genetic and I may be heading there.
If a doc says I have to use a CRAP I wouldn't be keen on that idea either.
I don't experience that but for your sake please see a doc about that. That's really bad. You might not wake up one night. Not good bro.
If you're gonna try the mouthpiece, I'd go with a football mouthpiece first. It costs much cheaper and appears to me (I'm no doctor) to do the same thing, particularly those that fit over the top and bottom teeth. I know WalMart sells a Wilson mouthpiece for like $8 that'll fit over both the top and bottom teeth, and is designed to let you breathe through it. Plus, you mold it to your teeth/gums so it's a perfect fit. Anyway, it could be a much cheaper alternative to see if it helps.
"DrAstroZoom wrote:
Dude, you need to get that checked out.
Mrs. Z was constantly tired and would frequently fall asleep in the middle of the day. We knew something was up when she fell asleep in the theater during the first Transformers movie.
She took a sleep study and, sure enough, was diagnosed with sleep apnea. They gave her what is known as a CPAP, a machine that regulates your breathing while you sleep. (No surgery is necessary.)
It has totally improved her quality of life. She noticed within a week she had twice the energy and never fell asleep during the day again.
For that reason alone, I would suggest both you and the OP get checked for it. In addition of robbing you of your rest, sleep apnea, if severe, can be dangerous.
"NaboCane wrote:
Holy ****. It's one thing when I had it and didn't know what sleep apnea was...but to have it, and to have insurance that pays for the sleep study and the CPAP (if that's what you need) and still not address it...:rolleyes:
I'm sorry brothers, but that's plain ignorant.
You're young so you don't know what you're doing to yourselves, but whether that's a good excuse or not will seem like a silly argument if you keep damaging your body - and your brain, BTW - by letting untreated sleep apnea ravage you.
I had the surgery first, because I was ascared of the machine; but the surgery didn't help at all.
First night on the CPAP - next day I couldn't believe how alert and generally how much better I felt.
It can be fatal if not addressed.
Doc which type of mask does your wife use with her CPAP and which type do you use Nabo? I briefly tried one with the nose only mask in the hospital but couldn't tolerate it very long. At the time I couldn't reach up to adjust or remove it myself and had just come off a respirator so panic was a major factor.
I am tired all the time. I used to wake up choking and gasping but don't anymore which may be due to some weight I've lost and I am sure weight is the main cause for my apnea. Ideally I want to lose more weight but until then I'm exhausted and am thinking of trying CPAP again.
"TJamesW_Phinfan wrote:
It can be fatal if not addressed.
Doc which type of mask does your wife use with her CPAP and which type do you use Nabo? I briefly tried one with the nose only mask in the hospital but couldn't tolerate it very long. At the time I couldn't reach up to adjust or remove it myself and had just come off a respirator so panic was a major factor.
I am tired all the time. I used to wake up choking and gasping but don't anymore which may be due to some weight I've lost and I am sure weight is the main cause for my apnea. Ideally I want to lose more weight but until then I'm exhausted and am thinking of trying CPAP again.
Mrs. Z has a full face mask. :up:
"DrAstroZoom wrote:
Mrs. Z has a full face mask. :up:
And she got used to it in one night. That is inspiring.
Thanks. :)
"TJamesW_Phinfan wrote:
It can be fatal if not addressed.
Doc which type of mask does your wife use with her CPAP and which type do you use Nabo? I briefly tried one with the nose only mask in the hospital but couldn't tolerate it very long. At the time I couldn't reach up to adjust or remove it myself and had just come off a respirator so panic was a major factor.
I am tired all the time. I used to wake up choking and gasping but don't anymore which may be due to some weight I've lost and I am sure weight is the main cause for my apnea. Ideally I want to lose more weight but until then I'm exhausted and am thinking of trying CPAP again.
For about 5 years I wore this one:
http://www.cpap.com/viewImage.php?PNum=1936&Image=resmed-ultra-mirage-II-nasal-cpap-mask-front.jpg
But I have a full beard, and it affects the seal of the mask, which makes you draw it tighter, which then starts to cause marks on your forehead from the cushions...and they last for hours after you awaken.
Plus you have to wash the straps often just as you would any bedding, so they eventually get looser and lose elasticity, so get several if you go this route.
Then I switched to this:
http://www.ventlab.com/nasal_cannula.htm
And it's great, although the plastic headgear is harder for a side-sleeper like me. But no laundering, just wipe it down thoroughly with a good cleaner a couple times a week.
"anlgp wrote:
:sidelol:
if no one else went there I was going to.
Seriously E get it checked out.
He got it checked out. It belonged to Tom Arnold.
Also; you might try this:
http://www.brookstone.com/catalogservlet?categoryId=171521&productId=4843777
"NaboCane wrote:
For about 5 years I wore this one:
http://www.cpap.com/viewImage.php?PNum=1936&Image=resmed-ultra-mirage-II-nasal-cpap-mask-front.jpgBut I have a full beard, and it affects the seal of the mask, which makes you draw it tighter, which then starts to cause marks on your forehead from the cushions...and they last for hours after you awaken.
Plus you have to wash the straps often just as you would any bedding, so they eventually get looser and lose elasticity, so get several if you go this route.
Then I switched to this:
http://www.ventlab.com/nasal_cannula.htmAnd it's great, although the plastic headgear is harder for a side-sleeper like me. But no laundering, just wipe it down thoroughly with a good cleaner a couple times a week.
Thanks for the info I'm going to look into the bottom one. The top one is the one I tried and it did have issues sealing over my mustache. Plus the second night they tried it the thing leaked a small stream of air in to my eye on one side. Guessing that was user error from the resp. tech.
I've also found laying on my back with the pillow under my shoulders and head seems to make breathing easier but I am more comfortable with it just under my head. Oh well old habbits and all that.
"TJamesW_Phinfan wrote:
Thanks for the info I'm going to look into the bottom one. The top one is the one I tried and it did have issues sealing over my mustache. Plus the second night they tried it the thing leaked a small stream of air in to my eye on one side. Guessing that was user error from the resp. tech.
I've also found laying on my back with the pillow under my shoulders and head seems to make breathing easier but I am more comfortable with it just under my head. Oh well old habbits and all that.
Google "cpap nasal pillows" to find over 2 dozen different styles of that type "mask." Including some with soft straps, and even a couple that don't use any straps at all - secured instead through a mouthpiece.
Do you have your CPAP machine yet?
Also, if you camp, there are several different Li battery packs available specifically made for CPAPs, so you can still sleep safely in the woods or a cabin with no electricity.
on the lighter side, in the Navy we had a solution that involved a dirty sock and EB green.. that would be green gaffers tape to Doc Zoomage, or green duct tape to you civilians.
"NaboCane wrote:
Google "cpap nasal pillows" to find over 2 dozen different styles of that type "mask." Including some with soft straps, and even a couple that don't use any straps at all - secured instead through a mouthpiece.
Do you have your CPAP machine yet?
Also, if you camp, there are several different Li battery packs available specifically made for CPAPs, so you can still sleep safely in the woods or a cabin with no electricity.
Not yet but my PCP and surgeon in the hospital recommended it. In the hospital I kept waking up to the oxygen alarm which would stop soon as I woke and started breathing normaly. I think they had it set to go off if I fell below 76% oxygen level but not 100% sure about the number.
I'll google it and contact my PCP on it.
"cnc66 wrote:
on the lighter side, in the Navy we had a solution that involved a dirty sock and EB green.. that would be green gaffers tape to Doc Zoomage, or green duct tape to you civilians.
:lol:
I heard on some of the ships you couldn't turn on your side due to lack of space between bunks.
"TJamesW_Phinfan wrote:
And she got used to it in one night. That is inspiring.
Thanks. :)
So did I! During my sleep study I woke up over 500 times. By the time I conceded to my wife to take the study, I was a zombie. I would fall a sleep right in the middle of a converstaion.
Guys, if you think you have sleep apnea, please see you doctor. It is not something to be taken lightly. It will KILL YOU! It killed Reggie White.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
"NaboCane wrote:
For about 5 years I wore this one:
http://www.cpap.com/viewImage.php?PNum=1936&Image=resmed-ultra-mirage-II-nasal-cpap-mask-front.jpgBut I have a full beard, and it affects the seal of the mask, which makes you draw it tighter, which then starts to cause marks on your forehead from the cushions...and they last for hours after you awaken.
Plus you have to wash the straps often just as you would any bedding, so they eventually get looser and lose elasticity, so get several if you go this route.
Then I switched to this:
http://www.ventlab.com/nasal_cannula.htmAnd it's great, although the plastic headgear is harder for a side-sleeper like me. But no laundering, just wipe it down thoroughly with a good cleaner a couple times a week.
That's the one I have Nabo. I'm in my third year with it and I also have a full beard. I love it though.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
"Themole wrote:
So did I! During my sleep study I woke up over 500 times. By the time I conceded to my wife to take the study, I was a zombie. I would fall a sleep right in the middle of a converstaion.
Guys, if you think you have sleep apnea, please see you doctor. It is not something to be taken lightly. It will KILL YOU! It killed Reggie White.
I have a feeling the younger guys on here don't take it seriously, and that's too bad.
It's NOT just an "old people's disease."
It's NOT just a "fat people's disease."
If you snore, chances are you have it to some extent. And if you have it, you could die; if not from the lack of oxygen, then from the long-term effects of it.
"Themole wrote:
That's the one I have Nabo. I'm in my third year with it and I also have a full beard. I love it though.
The Ventlab? I do like it a lot.
"NaboCane wrote:
I have a feeling the younger guys on here don't take it seriously, and that's too bad.
It's NOT just an "old people's disease."
It's NOT just a "fat people's disease."
If you snore, chances are you have it to some extent. And if you have it, you could die; if not from the lack of oxygen, then from the long-term effects of it.
The Ventlab? I do like it a lot.
No, the one that just covers the nose. I took to it like a duck to water. I remember when the nurse woke me in the sleep clinic saying she had seen enough and telling me to put the mask on. The instant I put that thing on, I thought, this is NICE! I've slept well ever since.
It's time for me to hit the fart sack brother. See you in the a.m.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
"Themole wrote:
No, the one that just covers the nose. I took to it like a duck to water. I remember when the nurse woke me in the sleep clinic saying she had seen enough and telling me to put the mask on. The instant I put that thing on, I thought, this is NICE! I've slept well ever since.
It's time for me to hit the fart sack brother. See you in the a.m.
Yeah, I liked the mask...it's just that with the beard, I had to cinch it so tight to get a seal that I often got deep marks from the forehead guard.
Sleep well. :lol:
great discussion guys... I don't think I have a problem, i mean I snore, but I don't stop breathing or wake up gasping for air... I expereince that a little when i have a bad chest cold... but it's not permanent. but I know where to come if that develops!
Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!
i snore too. thankfully my farting in my sleep drowns out the snoring


2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock
Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

