1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do we fix the Offense?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by texanphinatic, Jan 7, 2011.

1. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I've had enough of the Sparano threads already. Love it or hate it, or just don't care, it seems be a done deal. No matter what your expectations are for the next season, we will put a team out there to play (barring a lockout of course). Love him or hate him, Ross has proven to be willing to spend money to bring in top coaches and players. So ... how do we fix the offense?

Offensive Coordinator is open and will need to be filled. I doubt it will be McDaniels (rocky reputation with both Nolan and Marshall). What are choices may exist?

I know some people may wonder who on earth would accept a job here, and quite frankly to those people I say ... anyone! Seriously, you are being giving a chance to be a hero, an offensive savior, to transform a horrible unit. Your not going to take that job? Hell, if you do a good enough job you may just end up head coach! Plus Ross' wallet, hard to turn down a good salary just because Tony might be on the rocks.

I frankly have no clue who we may pursue though. My top choice was Kubiak, but he is locked up in Houston. Hopefully someone with an ability to help develop a QB.

After that of course is the draft and Free Agency.

Guard is a popular choice for many, and indeed with guys like Logan Mankins it's not hard to see why. Grab him, getting back Proctor and using Richie at center suddenly looks like a pretty good interior. Certainly good enough to get the job done well. Spend a 5th or lower on a guy who can eventually replace Carey and that should settle the line in my opinion.

Another big area is Tight End. Fasano actually closed the year pretty strong, but lets not pretend he is a major threat. He's a good TE to have, and a secondary passing option he can cause some trouble. However, I would really love to plug in a Zach Miller or Owen Daniels to that first spot to exploit tight coverage on Marshall and open up the deep middle.

Running back. Oi. Well Ricky's days may be numbered considering the comments he had. Ronnie's a FA as well unless I am mistaken. Ingram and Williams are popular names for the draft, and Bush seems a solid guy in FA. DeAngelo Williams and Ahmad Bradshaw have also come up, but Bradshaw I think stays in New York, and I'm not sold on Williams at this point in his career. I would look at maybe Bush first and try to add a McCluster/Jamaal Charles guy in a mid round.

Reciever we are looking ok, though a speed demon could be a valuable upgrade. Mike Wallace takes that Steelers Offense to a whole new level, and you see guys like Jacoby Ford and Johnny Knox producing and making plays. We need someone like that to threaten safeties and get them away from Marshall. Again, a mid round pick may be good, though a first rounder like Julius Jones from 'Bama may make sense.

And finally, the QB. With Sparano back that makes it seem unlikely we go for a QB in the first round, though if Ireland feels he is safe long term then it still may happen. I really want us to get a top flight prospect, someone we haven't had since Marino but that may not be happening (this year). Perhaps Vince Young will be cut from Tennessee, he may be worth a look if that is the case.

2. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I suggest meditation, punt pass and kick competition, and occassional profanity.
    That is what the doctor orders.

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well:

-Cattle call at running back, right now practice squad and street FA running backs can be signed to the ps
    -Resign Richie I to play Center
    -Left Guard is a priority in either the Draft or in FA
    -Sign Manny Arceneuex Wr CFL

That to me is a start, but there is no escaping the Qb issues, that one there are no easy answers.

4. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

Brad Childress is available as well as Kenny Rodger QB coach; unsure about OC Darrel Bevel

5. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    First we have to call in ServPro to clean up all the fire and water damage our D bag owner has caused and then determine what is salvagable or if its just a smouldering heap of poo.