1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do we stop the WILDCAT?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dorfdad, Oct 9, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I see this happening very soon.. Someone is going to use our own offense against us.. How do the Dolphins not get embarrassed by their own play?

2. baboo72

baboo72 Bleeding aqua & orange

Mar 23, 2008
    Watford, England
    I think half of the problem for the opposition is the suprise factor and if we did see it we'd kind of be clued up enough to stop it. I'm guessing the Patriots studied it a fair bit during their bye

3. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I don't think many other teams COULD run it anyway. If Ronnie Brown wasn't Ronnie Brown I dont think it would work very well. Which is why Ricky isn't the one taking the snap also.

Not even sure who else really could run it....Chargers....who else?

shula_guy and baboo72 like this.
  4. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    I think since our defense has to try and stop it during practice is a good start.

5. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It's not a matter of surprise anymore. 90% of the time it's a run to the formations strong side. Beat that and you've beat the play.

Miami beat the strength of the Chargers blocking scheme pretty badly on that goal line stand. Before LT got to the line of scrimmage, the LT, LG, C, RG, and 300 pound H-Back were on the ground. If you can do that kinda thing, you dont have a ton to fear.

6. baboo72

baboo72 Bleeding aqua & orange

Mar 23, 2008
    Watford, England
    I would have said AP @ Minnesota but even they put in Chester Taylor (I think) and judging by the throw I can't imagine him doing that many times this season

7. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007

I disagree. The wildcat formation is very RB-friendly. It's easy to study and practice (meaning that it doesn't take long to 'learn' the play but takes significantly longer for a defense to gameplan against it), the RB is blessed with a lot of blockers and ideally, he doesn't even need great field vision or cut back skills because the pre-designed running lane should be open.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of plays out of this formation are NOT option plays. Essentially, for the RB himself, it doesn't really make much of a difference to receive the direct snap instead of a traditional handoff. You do need a back with soft hands though which I think is why Brown is handling it instead of Ricky. He simply has the best hands on the whole team.

Basically, every team in the NFL could use the wildcat effectively to a certain degree provided that their RB doesn't have hands of stone and is likely to fumble the snap. The reason I don't think it'll spread beyond a select few teams is ego. Can you imagine a highly paid, top notch QB being fine with lining up as a receiver on 10 plays a game? Can you imagine a guy like Chad Johnson or TO being fine with this offense? A coach like Childress running it? It's a decent change of pace scheme but it takes the spotlight away from a lot of skill position players. A lot of teams would be begging for locker room trouble if they tossed it in there.

Lastly, I don't think there's any need to use it if your offense is working. For us, it's a way to get the ball to our best player and widen an otherwise limited playbook. There's a bunch of teams out there who are able to do just fine without it.

FinSane, keypusher and KSB like this.
  8. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    I never looked at it that way, but I'm all for giving CP's shoulder 10 plays off per game as the season wears on. :up:

9. Dorfdad

Dec 9, 2007
    some very good points, but what gets me the most about this formation is that I believe on almost every play we used this we ran right.. Now not saying we cant use it left up the middle or something else, hell what about the tight end lining up near rick and having him run the ball Fasano is a big boy and pretty quick..

but back to the point. If I see this on defense I immediately pull all my defensive backs in and leave one corner or safety on the QB spread wide. And keep the RB in the pocket.

Once this thing fails or we fumble or get picked for 6 I think we might stop using it for a while. I love it honestly makes the games FUN again for the fans, but as a long term prospect for the future of the phins its limited, but I do think someone sometime is going to give us a dose of it ourselves.

10. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

I will even predict that we will see it used against us when we play Buffalo. I can just see that happening for some reason. Lynch and Jackson can do it. Besides, who says it has to be two runningbacks? Plug Lee Evans into the Ricky role and you have the same type of confusion and matchup problems.

11. finzman13

finzman13 New Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Hey man, I am in no way questioning your football knowledge, but this formation is not a gimmick nor a trick play. I have coached high school football (Tate High in Pensacola FL) for the past 6 years and the single wing ( or "wildcat" ) and the double wing offense is all I run. I am averaging 37.4 points per game and have only lost 4 games in 6 years with this offense. It's very simple. When the ball is snapped to Ronnie, he is reading the DE. If he boxes ( comes up field ) he is going to pull it and run underneath the end, thus bouncing it to the outside. Now, most teams DO try to pull up defenders to put more in the box to try to stuff the run. When I see them doing that, the very next play I'm going to pass it over the shallow safety or corner. So what I'm saying is that its not wise to pull up defenders to defend the run, because I beat teams on it every week. Now I know that this is high school and the Dolphins are a pro team but there is absolutely no difference. The play is ran the EXACT same way we run it. In order to defend this formation you MUST have strong, fast LBs who can fill the gaps ( A,BandC ) and a super diciplined CB that can cover the right side of the field. i.e. wont get toasted, caught sleeping or can shed a block and stuff a runner. Basically all I'm saying is that there is no gameplanning for this formation really, you have to have some fast guys at skill positions

keypusher likes this.
  12. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    We practic agiants it so we could stop it

13. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Off-topic...

Finzman, I had the extreme displeasure to attend PCC for a couple years, until I was able to make my escape. However, the town of Pensacola was GREAT. Could you send a couple of the restaurants down there up my way? I'd really appreciate it.

14. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Roscoe Parrish would have been scary in that role. I think Ronnie is more effective because of his ability to break tackles. His run against SD when he was stopped in the backfield only to turn it into a 10-12 yrd gain was a thing of beauty.

cnc66 likes this.
  15. finzman13

finzman13 New Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Sure, but I dont think that you would want to pay shipping and handling on a restruant. lol. so what places did you like? My favorites are Measuite Charlies, and Hemmingways on the beach.

16. Dorfdad

Dec 9, 2007
    Hey Finzman some great insight there from you. Im not a coach but I play madden does that count? :)

I think we will see a hell of a lot more of this from other teams, yes we have Ronnie Brown but there are some Terrific Offensive lines out there with good running backs as well. Especially if you have a "Slash" type player like Pittsburg had who could run and Pass back there..

But im worried that our defense is not that good yet. yes the last two weeks wwe played AWSOME but im still worried about us deep. In the last two games no one went DEEP on us. Now were blitzing alot more and that slows it down but I still think were weak deep and we need to fix that..

17. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    I agree, especially if their QB situation is up in the air with Edwards injury and if JP can play well or not.

18. dolfan94

dolfan94 New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I think that since our offense practices the play against our defense during every practice, they would know how to handle it perfectly.

I dont think they were too succesful defending against it though and that's why Sparano decided to run it.

19. dolfan94

dolfan94 New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Im the coach of one of the high schools in your district. Will not say which because I could get in trouble.

Thanks for the info on your offense. Will use it next time we play

cnc66 likes this.
  20. finzman13

finzman13 New Member

Oct 6, 2008
    everybody knows what we run. doesnt matter. but, good luck to you and your team, whoever they are:knucks:

21. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Vendigo, Finzman 13, thanks, great, informative posts.

22. PressCoverage

PressCoverage New Member

how long before Brown steps back and fires an intermediate-range pass to someone, just to give defenses another wrinkle to worry about?

let's face it, the guy can run, catch AND throw pretty darn well.