1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does the Branden Albert for Julius Thomas trade change your offseason plan?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Vinny Fins, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
  2. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    At this point, I'd want to get Stills and Sims signed, then try for TWO vet Guards. I've decided that the defense is simply not going to get 'fixed' for the 2017 season. We can, however, have the offense as a real strength with a motivated Julius Thomas and the OL improved. Depth for the OL still need work, but draft a guy or two in the later rounds along with hoping at least one backup player develops this off-season.

Devote the rest of the draft to defense. Get a DE/MLB/OLB/CB, taking the best player left in each round. It will be a better group than what we had for most of 2016 -but still not better than average unless we hit on some gems who make an immediate impact. Maybe we can get a vet LB after some teams make final roster cuts?

So, a good-great offense, average defense, and not much depth on either side of the ball? Harder schedule (as of now) but Gase should be a better coach and most of the players will know his offensive system right from opening weekend. Not the worst situation to be in.

Pauly likes this.
  3. thetylernator

thetylernator You're as cold as ice, Officer Friendly.

Dec 31, 2014
    Resign Kenny Stills, Dion Sims, and Andre Branch. Sign one veteran guard, draft the other.

Remember, we still have Sam Young and Kraig Urbik for depth. More needs to be done, but those guys are on par with the rest of the league as far as backups go. I would like to see Brandon Fusco or Luke Joeckel get a one year 'prove-it' deal for an opportunity to compete at RG, hopefully with Ohio State's Pat Elflein. Landing Ronald Leary would solidify the offensive line, and the offense would be ready to roll.

After that, defense-defense-defense. Lawrence Timmons and Dre Kirkpatrick should be chased right away. Johnathan Hankins should be looked at as a pricey replacement for Earl Mitchell and an answer to our lack of run defense, while Domata Peko should be considered if Hankins isn't signed or money is tight. Zach Cunningham, Jarrad Davis, and Carl Lawson are all intriguing first round candidates, as well.

4. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Assuming there are some cap savings with JT restructure, and cutting Jordan and Misi, there should be $60M to spend less $5M for rookies. I can see Miami spending most of their money, because they need a lot more players, and those positions aren't cheap. Maybe they save more money by getting some second tier players, but I believe they need to leave FA with a top guard (obviously a huge hole), a DE and a LB. There should be other small signings, but we should go into the draft, attempting to upgrade TE, G, DE, DT and LB, with Stills extended. The question is can they get some veteran plug-ins at positions of need, like G or DT that can save huge dollars. That gets me nervous because eventually we have to get young and rugged there. I am hesitant on the draft because with the limited picks vs the needs we have, I can only realistically count on maybe 2 impact players at most. We need to turn this starting unit by about 40%, that's 8 positions. We also get back players from injuries. Jarvis may have to wait one more year for this deal

5. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I can't argue with Jarvis maybe having to wait. We just need too many things now.

6. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    A bird in hand is worth 2 in a bush, you can't let Landry hit FA, if you want him long term you sign him this offseason.

Some team is going to be willing to overpay Stills, Landry>Stills, it's pretty simple imo.

You also have to remember that '17 pays Suh 19 mil, but in '18 it jumps to 26 mil, '19, 28 mil, so a FA spending spree is probably not on the horizon for this offseason.

dolphin25 likes this.
  7. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Looks like a pick and not Thomas.

8. phins18

phins18 Active Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Im quite alright with that. His contract was bad and he is nothing special. His best years came with MVP peyton manning and he ate his contract he earned from the Jags. IF he was willing to majorly restructure, thats fine, but if not, sign Bennett in free agency or draft Njoku or Howard in the first round.

dolphin25 likes this.
  9. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Based on the article I read, it appears Albert would be traded to the Jaguars for probably a 7th round draft pick. This is better than cutting him and getting nothing in return but the chances of a 7th round draft pick making the team, much less having a positive impact is fairly slim.

dolphin25 likes this.
  10. phins18

phins18 Active Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I was in favor of cutting him to begin with so that is fine with me. If Thomas would cost too much we dont have to push it to make it work. Jax will probably cut him anyway and we can try again in free agency if his price isnt as high as he is asking for now.

The key to me is how much we invest in our guards. We have had black holes at guards for how many years now? There are several not just quality guards available, but very very good guards, and I would be heavily in favor of signing the top 2, completely shoring up the offensive line, making our running game much more consistent and effective and then using the draft and free agency exclusively on defense after, aside from finding a Tight end somewhere.

dolphin25 and Puka-head like this.
  11. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Doesn't change anything. Albert was always gone. Thomas gets to try again with Gase. Win

Still need LBs 2, maybe three. Still need two Guards. Still need DE depth, why aren't we trying to resign Mitchell? Suh was never going to see the 26 million years, he knows it.

Get depth thru FA at each spot and draft well for once. That's the plan. If one of the top five RB falls to second round I might think about that. J Train is hurt.

12. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    Suh is here for 2 more years, he will see the 26 Million easily and when did Ajayi get hurt ?

13. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I'm not sure it changes anything for me to be honest. Here's why...

Albert was good as gone anyways. The writing was on the wall with the Tunsil pick last year. Ideally if he'd have stayed to shift over the LG that would have been better, but with that contract it's tough. Better off freeing up the space, so we knew essentially he was going to be off the roster.

As for Thomas... I don't think you can change any part of your plans by adding him either. Unless you're concerned about which TE you drop off the roster to replace him (hopefully not Marquies Gray) as it appears they plan on bringing back Sims as well. I say this, because Thomas has battled injuries recently. Who knows if he returns to his Denver days. Re-uniting with Gase gives you that hope, no doubt, but as we've seen with our other injury reclamation projects that we've relied on, the chance for re-injury or a drop in performance is very real. So, how much can you really rely on the guy? I think anytime you're acquiring a guy for a 7th round pick there's a reason for that. We're taking him off their hands as a favor, and so we don't have to negotiate against an open market for his services, but there's a realistic chance you aren't getting a full season out of him. I see the Albert move for a probably meaningless draft pick much in the same way. To me, both teams knew these guys were getting cut, they have health concerns, they've agreed to new deals, the new teams didn't have to bid against anyone to get their services, and they've swapped some meaningless picks as "compensation" incase it doesn't work out.

Albert being gone means we have a hole on the OL. We knew that was coming anyways. We knew it would be at LG since Tunsil would move to LT there. We knew Bushrod likely won't be back. So we already knew we had two holes at Guard to fill. No change in plans.

Acquiring Thomas, while comfortable with Sims (assuming they bring him back and indications are they want to), and I assume Gray, helps minimize the need at the TE position. However I don't think that was a spot we planned to address in the draft. Unless the plan is to acquire him to create one giant smokescreen to cover our interest in actually taking a TE at 22. However, with the other needs on the D, I doubt we would do that. So to me, the only change here becomes the bottom end of the TE position depth chart.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Puka-head likes this.
  14. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    Dead cap & cap hit numbers for Suh;
    '17= 41 mil____ 19 mil cap hit
    '18= 22 mil_____26 mil "
    '19= 13 mil_____28 mil "
    "20= 4 mil______22 mil "

When they pushed $ back last year they basically went all in on Suh, if they hadn't pushed that money back the dead caps would be, 25, 10, 5 and 0.

Chances are that he's here until '20, then they can cut/trade him with only 4 mil in dead cap.

They could do it in '19, save 15 mil, but with really only 2 mil in effective net savings, yes you save 15 mil, but 13 mil of the cap is taken up.

You could designate him as a june 1st cut and have 6.5 mil against the cap for 2 years, but his 28 mil will count against the cap until june, so it won't free up money for the main FA period.

15. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I'm not disputing anything you said but I actually like 7th round picks, as they allow you the rights to someone who may have gone undrafted for reasons other than talent (Joe Mixon for example). I think they can provide value like that if you use them right.

16. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Ajayi hurt his shoulder in the wild card game, maybe the game before. He hurt it again in the Pro Bowl.
    Didn't realize we couldn't get out of Suh's contract even by trading him. Hope he continues to want to earn that $$$. If he can lead us to the promised land... Can he voluntarily change his contract?

17. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    No. He can't wake up one day and say.. naw, I'd rather play for $1m per season only and then the rest of the deal magically goes away. The only options I'm aware of are the re-structures which just move the hit down the road, or cutting him which severely hinders the cap.

He's not going anywhere without the team's cap taking a hit.