1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How has Pouncey been doing?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Uncle Rico, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico New Member

Jun 8, 2008
    I didn't get to watch the Atlanta game and the media (and alot of people here) are only concerned with the QB play.

The only thing I've been able to find is that his shotgun snaps have been just fine. How is he looking other than that?

Thanks for the help!

2. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    If you read the post that Padre 31 was kind enough to share with us, the media said he was having a rough time of it, the long snaps.

Uncle Rico and finyank13 like this.
  3. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Pouncey was a rookie. He did some good things, and some bad things. He is an upgrade from last year, and is still a work in progress.

Uncle Rico likes this.
  4. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    From what i've been hearing/reading, dude is doing a solid job. Once he gets the snaps under control, we're gold.

Uncle Rico likes this.
  5. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    do you have a time machine?

[​IMG]

6. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I think Pouncey has a lot of pressure on him because his brother was an all-pro center last year, as a rookie. I have no idea if he will be an upgrade over last year, because when he was in the game playing against the Falcon's first team defense, the Dolphins couldn't run the ball up the middle. This was the same problem the Dolphins had last year. So until he shows me that he can actually block at the NFL level,he remains a very large question mark, as a first round draft pick. I always thought his brother was a much better lineman when they both played at Florida and I suspect that he was drafted so highly based on how well his brother played last year. Not because he was really a dominant offensive lineman in college last year.

Uncle Rico likes this.
  7. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Gee, Ritchie, Vern, Murtha, Columbo and Polite had nothing to do with the running up the middle ??

Uncle Rico likes this.
  8. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    It was the entire right side of the Oline being collapsed all the way over to the left side. There were many posts about that. Our LS, Murtha and Incognito did a good job. Do not know what game you were watching. Pouncey did OK, not great and yes, got bull rushed several times. So combine that with a right side being literally pushed into the plays going to the left. Carey is a joke.

Uncle Rico likes this.
  9. Dee

Dee New Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Pouncey is doing fine, and will be our starting center for the next 10 years.

Uncle Rico likes this.
  10. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    8 replies about our 1st round pick? LOL this forum would die w/o the Henne threads...

Uncle Rico and ToddsPhins like this.
  11. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    That entire interior OL needs to be reconstructed. All it takes is a switch of the guards and perhaps somehow getting Carey motivated (also playing RT where he's always been an excellent run blocker).

Uncle Rico likes this.
  12. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Part of me was hoping we'd ease him in at G this year........ but I guess sometimes you just have to throw 'em in the deep end.

Uncle Rico likes this.
  13. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    A large part of me wishes this endless tinkering would just stop. Richie Incognito shouldn't be at LG. Vernon Carey should be at RT. They didn't acquire the athletic LG as I'd hoped they would, and I think they'll pay a penalty in the run game for failing to do so. I was interested that Sparano hinted at Lydon Murtha seeing some time at G after Jake comes back...just wondering if they'd consider playin him at LG, Incognito at RT and moving Carey back to RT. Two guys playing their more natural positons rather than two guys playing, you know, not their natural positions.

Uncle Rico likes this.
  14. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Where are you getting that? Everything I have been seeing is him struggling with holds, and especially C/QB exchanges.....multiple fumbled exchanges.....and we are talking daily too...

Yeah and if they spent a 1st rounder on a guard, and not somebody else that would really piss me off...You dont draft a guard at 16.....

Uncle Rico likes this.
  15. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    This. I hate this, too..... especially since we have cap room. That's one of the reason's I thought about easing Pouncey in at LG. Who are are getting out in front of Reggie on screens etc?

Uncle Rico likes this.
  16. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I said to ease him into the position by playing him at guard first (considering the lockout). That's not the same thing as drafting a guard. I thought that, during his rookie year, Incognito might be better at center.

Uncle Rico likes this.
  17. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Good question...

Well, I do seem to recall a thread in club about Daboll and the lack of constraint plays (screens and such) he used in Cleveland. Didn't catch any run last week in Atlanta, which would be an absolute travesty with Reggie Bush if they weren't included much in the playbook. But even if they are, Pouncey and Long are about the only two that seem capable of getting out into space to block.

Uncle Rico likes this.
  18. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

I get that, but there was some question with him at center by the draft talking heads as well..I think he rode the hype machine of his brother and might have been drafted too early, especially if he turns out to be a guard......If he turns out to be the center for the next 10 years, great it was/is worth it.....and 1st rounders shouldnt be eased into anything, they should all be day one starters in the position the team drafted them for...

Talk to you in 10 years....:up:

ToddsPhins and Uncle Rico like this.
  19. SRM

SRM New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    He's been having more trouble with snapping than I care to hear.. really would rather we'd sign O'Hara and move Pouncey to guard already.

Uncle Rico likes this.
  20. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico New Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Thanks for all the info. I hope he keeps improving. Slow hard fist pumps all around.

finyank13 likes this.
  21. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    don't talk like that, Todd will get excited..

Uncle Rico and ToddsPhins like this.
  22. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Anyone got any links to the issues Pouncey's been having? I hadnt read that?

23. C-HUCKS1

C-HUCKS1 New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    I still can't believe the Dolphins drafted a center that can't snap the ball in the first round. This was a dumb move at the very least.

24. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Someone snapped the ball to Henne in the Atlanta game with none going over his head or bouncing at his feet. I guess Henne snapped the ball to himself. He does have a big red S on his chest under the jersey and shoulder pads.

FinNasty and djphinfan like this.
  25. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    isn't it so cute how they get bamboozled by their media leaders.

26. C-HUCKS1

C-HUCKS1 New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Taking Pouncey over Mallet, will go down as one of the biggest draft day blunders in NFL history. Just because i am a Dophin fan doesn't mean I have to agree with stupid moves. I guarantee in two years if the Dolphins would try to trade Pouncey for Malledt straight up they will get laughed at. It should be common sense that you do not draft centers in the first round when you have should a dire need a QB. A football team should be built around its Quarterback, not around its offensive line which the Dolphins are trying to do. You can have the greatest OL in the NFL, but what good is that going to do you if you don't have a strong QB to lead your team. When building a team the first piece of the puzzle should be finding a strong All-Pro QB to lead the team, not some castoff from a 1-15 team! Oh and by the way the letter on Henne's chest is I not S , for all the interceptions he throws.

27. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    lol. Mallet wasn't even the best QB on the board at Pouncey's pick, Andy Dalton was. Secondly, many teams skipped on Mallet because hes sporadic and hes a choke artist. Could he turn into an all-pro? I guess? So could Pouncey though.

Finding an elite QB is important, but there just aren't that many to go around. And truth be told, you don't need one to win the super bowl. Sanchez isn't elite but hes gotten the Jets to the afc championship game twice now. Eli Mannings not elite and he has a ring. I mean come on, Rex Grossman almost won a super bowl...

Dan marino was elite. And i think we collectively see where im going there.

28. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Fine, maybe it will, and maybe it won't, but no reason to make up things about Pouncey in the process.

29. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Its a small sample but........

[video=youtube;6qfDet03lWw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qfDet03lWw[/video]

djphinfan and Disgustipate like this.
  30. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    There has been one game played and ppl wanna make it seem like Pouncey is a bust already. Fact of the matter is he is doing fine. The coach praise him and other than a few snaps here and there (in practice) he is fine. Fact of the matter is at Florida he was asked to do more than any other lineman has ever been asked to do while every single snap was from shotgun. The Dolphins won't be in the shotgun 99.9 percent of the time. There Is a huge difference between the Pouncey that plays in Miami and the Pouncey that plays in Pitt and that is one isn't playing with a bunch of garbage players next to him (on oline).

GISH likes this.
  31. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    He's clearly talented enough physically. He was pretty good vs. Atlanta, and he's held his own vs. Paul Soliai in camp. Soliai is someone who has dominated the best Center in the league more than once when he's "on".

The snap issue is something they have to clear up, but I'd wait until you actually, you know, see it before it's a thing.

Uncle Rico likes this.
  32. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    No, it apparently means you endorse theoretical stupid moves.

Mallett wasn't a first round prospect. Every team passed on him multiple times. And watching last night, it's for pretty good reason.

33. C-HUCKS1

C-HUCKS1 New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    #33 C-HUCKS1
    [​IMG]
    Rookie [​IMG] [​IMG] Join Date Jul 2011
    Posts 35
    Fist Pumps 4 My Posts Inspired:
    5 fist pumps in 3 posts
    Rep Power 1

[​IMG]

Mallet may turn out to be an ALL pro or not, but here is the thing why draft a center in the first round when u have should a dire need at QB. Even if Mallet does not beat out Henne, he can be used later as trade bait to acquire a high draft pick. Especially when QB's are such a valuable commodity in the NFL..When was the last time you heard of a center getting traded for a first round pick. The QB's you mentioned may not have all won rings but they have won tons of games and they have one thing in common they were all drafted in the first round. It is really pathetic that this franchise has not drafted a QB in the 1st round in over 27 years, they have passed on Rodgers, Ryan,Brees, and now Mallet. Did you not watch espn where some analyst's are saying Mallet is the most impressive rookie of preseason. There has only been one team in the last 20 years to win a Super Bowl ring that did not have a solid QB and that was the Ravens. Who had a dominant d,, but me I ll take a great QB over a great D any day!
    Here is a question I have for you. If you are an NFL owner would you go 28 years without drafting a QB in the 1st round? Would u build your team around a center. Not me, I will build my team around my Qb any time.. But hey what do I know? I just know one thing in 2005 if I was making the picks, i would have drafted Rodgers..Qb's in this league are a valuable commodity's , me i would always draft one with my first couple of picks , why not take that risk? but a center really? when you can find one in the lower rounds? where was the center of the last super bowl champ drafted? i just looked it up the center of the last world champs was drafted in the 7th round, yet the QB the dolphins passed on in 2005 was the last super bowl mvp! can you name me one center who was super bowl mvp? What is so hard about drafting a qb with your first pick every year,, even if u miss the odds are u it a home run and can trade the player for a high pick later!

34. C-HUCKS1

C-HUCKS1 New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    I am sorry you are right bro! Why should I endorse stupid moves like making finding All Pro Qb my number one priority? but come on bro,, finding a good qb is essential in winning in this league.. Really if you owned a team and had flaws at Qb, why would you not draft one with your first pick? I don't know too much about football but I do know one thing having a valuable QB is a important asset, just look at what Kevin Kolb was traded for! but you know what i got a spot in my fantasy league open, if u agree to draft a center with your first pick, since you think its such a valuable commodity!
    If you are an owner tell me this what is so wrong about drafting a qb with your first pick? Would you really draft a center with your first pick,, ,,Ill take a qb every time,, but hey what do know i would have drafted some scrubs named Rodgers, Ryan,Brees, and now Mallet, while you are building your team around your center,, really if u were an owner would u pick a center in the first round?

35. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The arguement that we didn't draft a QB in the first round is pretty redundant. Fact of the matter is, if we felt like there was a QB with first round talent that was there when we picked they would have taken them. Just because you take a QB in the first round doesn't turn them into a talented successful QB. Seems to me like this regeim likes to make sure that they take a solid player for this team for the next 10 years with the first pick and gamble on talent with the later picks. You can't say that we have ignored the QB situation totally. Unfortunatly your agruement is my point. We traded 2nd round picks away for Culpepper, a proven vet that had success. Then we traded away a 2nd round pick away for a future talent like the Kolb trade that you mentioned. Then we addressed the QB issue again after all those failures with Chad Pennington, somebody that we could hopefully have fill the void for a few years until we could let our younger talent develop. Then we have the QB draft picks, Pat White the athletic QB that can move around in the pocket everybody was clammoring for. John Beck, the mature QB coming out of college with lots of talent, and also Chad Henne. So its not like the QB position has been ignored, other than Matt Ryan its not like the Dolphins have been bad enough to draft really high every year and just keep passing on Sam Bradford or some great QB. We have picked in the middle of the 1st round for so long now, after the "1st round prospects" are gone.